• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox AU boss: 360 doing better than PS2 [Insert Asterisk Here]

Mmmkay

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6165509.html

Oooh Australian sales figures!
In an interview with GameSpot AU, McLean--Microsoft Home and Entertainment Division Regional Director for Australia and New Zealand--said the 360 had sold 145,000 units in its first 45 weeks of sale down under, with a current attach rate of 4.8 games per console. McLean says the 360 is well ahead of where Sony's PlayStation 2 was at the same stage. The PS2 was first released in Australia in 2000, and has sold 2.2 million units so far.

"We launched 45 weeks ago [in Australia]. In the PS2’s first 45 weeks, they sold 116,000 units. In our first 45 weeks, we sold 145,000 units. So if you think about momentum and moving from that to a situation of 2.2 million units over time, we feel we’re on track. We’re ahead of where our competitors where at this stage of the life cycle," he said.

"At this point in my competitor’s life cycle [for the PS2], their attach rate was 2.5 units of software per console, according to GfK Australia. At that time, they had their major franchises out in the market. Grand Theft Auto 3, Gran Turismo 3 and Metal Gear Solid 2 were available. Our attach rate is currently running at 4.8-–we’ve just released Gears of War, we’ve got some heavy hitting titles coming this year with Halo 3, Grand Theft Auto IV, and Crackdown. We’re extremely confident that we’ll see our attach rate grow at an accelerated rate."

Despite the bullish outlook, McLean did confirm that internal forecasts for 360 sales in Australia to the end of June 2007 were being lowered in line with the software giant's global outlook. As part of its last earnings report, Microsoft said it was targeting 12 million units sold by the end of June, down from an earlier forecast of 13-15 million. McLean declined to disclose a specific forecast for the Australian amrket.

"Typically we don’t talk about numbers for individual regions, but we are a part of that global number," he said. "I think it's a good decision for us as a business to make. It's focusing on the right things--being profitable, focusing on great software and accessories attach, focusing on providing new services and experiences for our gamers and creating a healthy ecosystem around Xbox 360."

SumGamer

That's almost a year. Nice play with the numbers and unit.

I cant believe they only sell 145k+ after all the ads every where.
They need to make What's wrong with U for AU as well :|

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Haha Microsoft AU are so funny they find the most inane stat they are good at or has the 360 on top and then publish a PR.

Next from Microsoft AU; "More Network Cables plugged into Xbox 360's then Toasters for Q3" Oh Mr. McLean cut it out!

And the high attach rate? Thats because you can't pirate games for it yet, once a modchip or a viable cheap alternative to copying games comes out watch that attach rate fall faster then a fat woman down stairs. Its a sad fact that most people here in AU pirate games.

Mmmkay

VOOK said:
And the high attach rate? Thats because you can't pirate games for it yet, once a modchip or a viable cheap alternative to copying games comes out watch that attach rate fall faster then a fat woman down stairs. Its a sad fact that most people here in AU pirate games.
Not true. I think we had 2 threads covering it today on the back of that new quieter drive announcement.

I spent some time looking for DL recordable DVD's this evening, and saw this which was quite amusing for a fairly prominent electronics e-tailer:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=474116

Under product overview
Manufactured by RICOH & branded under the up and coming Aone umbrella, this disc has set a new precedent in Dual Layer pricing.

Tested to be highly compatible with DVD players and Video Game Consoles - customers report that they are especially compatible with the Xbox 360. With its extremely fast 8x write speed, you can write 8.5GB in less than 15 minutes!

Double-layer media has a capacity of 8.5GB, this equates to 240 minutes of video in standard play mode.

NOTE: We recommend you use a Pioneer 111 with the LATEST firmware. Also best results on the Xbox 360 are at 4x - however you should try 8x just to see if it works great for you.

Once you start reading opinions on Verbatim DL DVD+R discs, it's becomes a flood.

VOOK

Yeah I mean us Internet Savvy people know about this however its still a while before Ma and Pa take Tommys Xbox 360 to the Mod Shop and spend $600 + $150~ for a mod chip as a mass amount.

The high entry fee of $600 still is the main barrier for the kind of people who modchip for pirating.

Mmmkay

VOOK said:
Yeah I mean us Internet Savvy people know about this however its still a while before Ma and Pa take Tommys Xbox 360 to the Mod Shop and spend $600 + $150~ for a mod chip as a mass amount.

The high entry fee of $600 still is the main barrier for the kind of people who modchip for pirating.
Then I'm not entirely sure of the point you're making. The statistic given shows a 2.5 attach rate for the PS2 in the same 45 week from launch period. There were no friendly piracy solutions for the PS2 in that time either.

I think the attach rate is so high perhaps because there have been a higher quantitly (and quality) of releases for the 360 in that 45 week period. Or maybe there were economic reasons behind the low attach rate for the PS2?

Fusebox

Banned
VOOK said:
And the high attach rate? Thats because you can't pirate games for it yet,

Or maybe because it has substantially more quality games available for it than any other next-gen console released in Australia at the moment?

VOOK

I think the attach rate is so high perhaps because there have been a higher quantitly (and quality) of releases for the 360 in that 45 week period. Or maybe there were economic reasons behind the low attach rate for the PS2?

In 2000 it was "$750 for a Games Machine? Hell No", now with more money around and a better understanding of games and the concept of media centers etc people are more open to spending money.

Fusebox said:
Or maybe because it has substantially more quality games available for it than any other next-gen console released in Australia at the moment?

Possibly, or maybe cause it was the only one for year would be closer to mark

Nevermind VOOK he's just insecure because Nintendo refuse to mention the Wii attach rate ;)

Those bastards :(

VOOK

Fusebox said:
Based on what I saw on the shelves at EB on the weekend it's definitely the games.

I also see a crap load of pre owned games at EB for the Xbox 360, maybe more people are going through more games?

Fusebox

Banned
Maybe, so then lets define the scope of this discussion.

There's two next-gen (arguably, but both largely regarded as next-gen) consoles available in Australia.

You post a list of all the good games worth owning for one of them and then I'll post a list for the other and we'll see whos list is longest - that person will then be announced as having the biggest e-peen and therefore the winnar of the list war.

VOOK

Fusebox said:
Maybe, so then lets define the scope of this discussion.

There's two next-gen (arguably, but both largely regarded as next-gen) consoles available in Australia.

You post a list of all the good games worth owning for one of them and then I'll post a list for the other and we'll see whos list is longest - that person will then be announced as having the biggest e-peen and therefore the winnar of the list war.

Yeah no I'm not stooping to that level, for one the Wii has only been out 2 months ;)

Just so people know I'm not like in here trolling the 360, hell I want one but the PR department at Xbox AU give me the shits.

Rlan

Incidentily, I saw a big "Pre Order Now! New Wii stock coming in Late Feb!"

Good going, Nintendo.

Top Bottom