• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Backwards Compatibility Focused Sale - A Lot of Great BC (and XBO) Games Inside !

MikeM

Bought Max Payne 3 and Sonic Unleashed.
Played some MP3 last night and loved the gameplay and dialogue. Needs a reboot.

WoodyStare

Purchased Burnout Revenge, Manhunt, Max Payne 2, Gunvalkyrie, and Fear 2.

Debating if I should get both TimeSplitters and Sonic Generations/All-Stars Racing. I’ve actually never played any of the Sonic games.

Tazzu

Don't know man, Otogi 1& 2 were my most requested games but, after buying Otogi 1 the other day I can say that the game hasn't aged well, like, at all - muddy graphics, weird control scheme and that lock-on camera is just bad.
Also, for the price they're asking (20 a pop - that FROM tax man) is just...nope.
Nostalgia was too strong, sure and I've always had fond memories of these games but let's just say that I'm disappointed, make no mistake, these ain't remotely at the same level of Panzer dragoon orta or Ninja gaiden black.
Cheers
The game looks a lot worse at hi-res too.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
A few games on sale here that I'm interested in and might pick up.

Problem is, Microsoft gives away two of these games every month and I'm afraid that as soon as I buy something, it's gonna be free next month. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
$100 later, I hope everyone enjoys all the free shit Microsoft is gonna give away now lol

Dural

Picked up Panzer Dragoon Orta (thought I already owned it digitally, have physical), Splinter Cell: Double Agent, and Starlink. Already own a good amount of what's on sale.

Sonic Generations in BC / FPS Boost is mind blowing. Aside from the CGI cutscenes looking like low-res shit and a couple 2D effects you could release it today and no one would be shocked. It’s just beautiful and smooth.

It also remains the best 3D Sonic game imo.

Yeah, I reinstalled it after that DF video that talked about how good it was in BC. It looks unbelievable on the XSX! I also installed All Star Racing Transformed hoping for the same res boost, unfortunately it doesn't have it. Looks so blurry, hopefully they will add the res boost to this too eventually.

Correct. Everything aside from graphics overhaul is similar for VF5 Final Showdown and VF5 Ultimate Showdown. But it's also worth noting that there are more online features being added to Ultimate Showdown going forward.
One more question real quick since I can’t seem to find a straight forward answer googling it; is there any way to unlock characters’s customizations in Final Showdown by playing it? Or is paying for the packs they have the only way to get them?

Antwix

Some really good stuff here. Just bought Timesplitters Future Perfect and picked up Rainbow 6 vegas 2 last night. I would buy more stuff like Deus Ex HR and Max Payne and some others, but already own them on PC and there's no enhancements on those games. Debating on Panzer Dragoon Orta and Sonic Gen, but I know I probably won't play them and I have too much of a backlog. Saint's Row 2 is also a great pickup for $1.50 but I believe it was on GwG cuz I don't remember buying it but I own it already.

retsof624

Just bought Binary Domain, Saints Row 2, Tomb Raider Underworld and Midnight Club LA.

Never got to finish MCLA on my PS3 because it kept freezing on me.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Which max Payne had the scene outside and inside the warehouse with rain? I'd that the start of 2?

Also I wish i-ninja had been made backwards compat....

Kruza

One more question real quick since I can’t seem to find a straight forward answer googling it; is there any way to unlock characters’s customizations in Final Showdown by playing it? Or is paying for the packs they have the only way to get them?
You have to buy the character customization stuff in Final Showdown. All the customization items and outfits can be obtained from buying the two big item packs. Or it's possible to buy a small item pack for each individual character if you don't want to have every custom item.

Last edited:
enjoying Conan so far. the A.I is sorta braindead, and im not sold on Conan's voice actor, but everything else is fun.

I like a game with style. It knew it didn't have a big budget so they thought, ok what can we do to ramp up the fun factor. Okay, how bout u can pick up every weapon....and throw ur weapons....and throw big objects....and cut heads and limbs off,...have brutal finishers

If someone made a modern version of this with a budget, they might have a hit on there hands.

Ristifer

Sonic Generations in BC / FPS Boost is mind blowing. Aside from the CGI cutscenes looking like low-res shit and a couple 2D effects you could release it today and no one would be shocked. It’s just beautiful and smooth.

It also remains the best 3D Sonic game imo.
Was going to post the exact same thing. Pretty awesome game with a ridiculous boost.

Also, just need to point out that Rayman Origins is a fantastic game as well. So it deserves some love in this sale.

Last edited:

BigLee74

I bought Max Payne 3. Looking at my achievements, I played it in 2012.

Nearly 10 years ago!

Might have looked good back then, but it’s as rough as a badgers arse on a 4K 55 inch screen. And those unskippable cut scenes that were used to mask loading, I forgot just how painful they were! 😂

Game is still great though. Would buy Max Payne 1&2 if they were cheaper - too dear for games I played many times long long ago on the PC. Not sure they would hold up now.

Patrick S.

Banned
Picked up:

Just Cause 2

TimeSplitters 1&2

XCOM Enemy Within

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (fuck, this game only has German audio :/ wonder if I can buy the UK version if I switch my location to UK?)

cireza

after buying Otogi 1 the other day I can say that the game hasn't aged well
Completely disagree with this. I have been replaying it every couple years for 20 years, this game is a blast.

There are M2 collections on Xbox 360, the master of emulation. I suggest showing some interest in them, so that maybe, they make more of them on Xbox.

Currently, the Golden Axe collection is being discounted. There are also Streets of Rage and Monster World. All great collections. Really sad that Aleste Collection has not been released on Xbox and worldwide, what as fucking waste !

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Completely disagree with this. I have been replaying it every couple years for 20 years, this game is a blast.
I could see recent FROM fans not having any clue what it is. It's never been on par with Ninja Gaiden or other action games. It's an obscure Japanese game that was interesting and fun that is now preserved. At the time even busting some of the walls felt impressive in terms of environment destruction. But it's never been on par with top tier action games.

cireza

But it's never been on par with top tier action games.
It is very different, not really focused on skill. It is more about health and time management, in order to explore the stage as much as possible. You can repeat stages to unlock secrets and find all ghosts by destroying stuff. Many weapons to pick from. I like the short, carefully crafted stages. This is a kind of game-design that has disappeared in 3D action games sadly.

Last edited:

Hayabusa83

Banned
enjoying Conan so far. the A.I is sorta braindead, and im not sold on Conan's voice actor, but everything else is fun.

I like a game with style. It knew it didn't have a big budget so they thought, ok what can we do to ramp up the fun factor. Okay, how bout u can pick up every weapon....and throw ur weapons....and throw big objects....and cut heads and limbs off,...have brutal finishers

If someone made a modern version of this with a budget, they might have a hit on there hands.

Really enjoyed Conan despite its jank. Love how bloody the combat is. Shame we never got the original Xbox version of Conan added to BC, I genuinely loved that game even though it had some major shortcomings.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Really enjoyed Conan despite its jank. Love how bloody the combat is. Shame we never got the original Xbox version of Conan added to BC, I genuinely loved that game even though it had some major shortcomings.
I bought it based off this thread. I love some bloody jank.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I got Max Payne 1 and 3.

Do I honestly need 2? I never bothered with that one. Figured I'd be fine with 1 new one and 1 old one. I only played part 1 back in the day.

Last edited:

BigBooper

I got Max Payne 1 and 3.

Do I honestly need 2? I never bothered with that one. Figured I'd be fine with 1 new one and 1 old one. I only played part 1 back in the day.
If you like 1, 2 is more of that. I like it a lot. If you are just looking for that bullet time Max Payne experience and don't care about the story as much, I guess it's skippable.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
To my great shame, I've never played Time Splitters Future Perfect.

How are the enhancements for it ? 4K/60 ? or 4K/30 ?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Bought Sonic Generations. Haven't played a Sonic game in AGES.

Let's goooooooo 4K/60 !

Also bought Timesplitters Future Perfect !

Last edited:
Top Bottom