• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Backwards Compatibility Focused Sale - A Lot of Great BC (and XBO) Games Inside !

Goalus

Max Payne 1-3
Manhunt
Red Dead Revolver
Bully
Conan (I only bought it because so many people in this thread did so as well, but so far I like what I'm seeing)
Gun Valkyrie
Timesplitters 1 & 2
Ashura's Wrath
Prey
The Outfit
Forsaken Remastered

is my list.
Hoping that Otogi will eventually be discounted too.

Last edited:

Antwix

Finished Future Perfect last night. It holds up really well considering the age.
Good to hear. I skipped purchasing TS 2 due to reports of the controls/graphics not holding up as much compared to Future Perfect.

Also for anyone looking to add any of these games on sale, today is the last day for the sale.

WoodyStare

Ended up purchasing a lot more than I expected. I blame my nostalgia and this thread.

Max Payne 2
Max Payne 3
The Darkness
Sonic Generations
Sonic All Stars Racing
Fear 2
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies
Manhunt
Time Splitters 2
Time Splitters: Future Perfect
Gunvalkyrie
Burnout Revenge

A lot of others on sale I already own (or got with GWG) but don’t believe there’s anything else I should get while it’s cheap. Debating if I should also get Red Dead Revolver (loved both RDR games). Currently going through Manhunt/Sonic All Stars and having a blast.

Ended up purchasing a lot more than I expected. I blame my nostalgia and this thread.

Max Payne 2
Max Payne 3
The Darkness
Sonic Generations
Sonic All Stars Racing
Fear 2
Manhunt
Time Splitters 2
Gunvalkyrie
Burnout Revenge

A lot of others on sale I already own (or got with GWG) but don’t believe there’s anything else I should get while it’s cheap. Debating if I should also get Red Dead Revolver (loved both RDR games). Currently going through Manhunt/Sonic All Stars and having a blast.
That's a nice list. I'm considering Binary Domain as well. You should get Rockstar table tennis it's amazing.

Max Payne 2
Max Payne 3
The Darkness
Sonic Generations
Sonic All Stars Racing
Fear 2
Manhunt
Time Splitters 2
Gunvalkyrie
Burnout Revenge

That's a nice list. I'm considering Binary Domain as well. You should get Rockstar table tennis it's amazing.
Jim Ryan looking at you like “but no one likes playing old games!”
Fuck Jim ryan

Is Manhunt a superior version on 360 than the ps2 classics version? Or is it a "side grade", better in some aspects worse in others?

Seems like Max Payne 1 and 2 are much better than ps4 versions

Banned
Is Manhunt a superior version on 360 than the ps2 classics version? Or is it a "side grade", better in some aspects worse in others?

Seems like Max Payne 1 and 2 are much better than ps4 versions

first of all it's an Xbox game not a 360 game

secondly, it is a pure upgrade. it has a more modern dual analog control scheme and better graphics, as well as 60fps while PS2 was locked to 30fps

Last edited:
it was in the final rollout. but sadly no FPS or Resolution boost :(
This is criminal. This was the most requested game.

MS has failed to live up to the promise of BC games being upscaled for modern displays. Yeah, there is a small amount of 4k games but not nearly enough. The fps boost stuff is nice. Imagine every BC game being 4k/60 on series x? Now that would be great and would put that console on par with PC gaming.

They made a big hoopla about it around the launch of xb1x and series x but only half delivered. Also, remember Gears 1 remaster was supposed to get a big upgrade for Series x? Yeah, that never happened.

Kagey K

Banned

Max Payne 2
Max Payne 3
The Darkness
Sonic Generations
Sonic All Stars Racing
Fear 2
Manhunt
Time Splitters 2
Gunvalkyrie
Burnout Revenge

All that for less than the price of 1 current gen game. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

U be winning there.

Banned
This is criminal. This was the most requested game.

MS has failed to live up to the promise of BC games being upscaled for modern displays. Yeah, there is a small amount of 4k games but not nearly enough. The fps boost stuff is nice. Imagine every BC game being 4k/60 on series x? Now that would be great and would put that console on par with PC gaming.

They made a big hoopla about it around the launch of xb1x and series x but only half delivered. Also, remember Gears 1 remaster was supposed to get a big upgrade for Series x? Yeah, that never happened.

uhm, well Gears got FPS boost. also FPS boost and res upgrades could still happen, it is just no new games coming anymore

first of all it's an Xbox game not a 360 game

secondly, it is a pure upgrade. it has a more modern dual analog control scheme and better graphics, as well as 60fps while PS2 was locked to 30fps
I know its an original Xbox game but didn't the upgrade release on 360 hence the remaster? Damn, wish I hadn't bought the ps4 version. It's not enjoyable to play at 30 fps with those controls.

uhm, well Gears got FPS boost. also FPS boost and res upgrades could still happen, it is just no new games coming anymore
Oh? That would be great. I didn't know that boosts could still happen. I hope MS realizes thr importance of resolution boosts on a 4k tv and doesn't just think "60 fps is all people need now".

I could swear I remember talk that Gears remaster would get 4k and 60 fps.

Banned
I know its an original Xbox game but didn't the upgrade release on 360 hence the remaster? Damn, wish I hadn't bought the ps4 version. It's not enjoyable to play at 30 fps with those controls.

I am very confused here... there never was a remaster of Manhunt or an upgraded release on 360... Manhunt released on PS2, Xbox and PC and only on these platforms ever.
it since was made backwards compatible on 360 and Xbox One/Series as well as available as a PS2 classic on PS3 and PS4, all of which run the original Xbox/PS2 game in software emulation

the Xbox version, which released later, has better graphics, a 60fps lock instead of a 30fps lock and a second more modern control scheme on top of the more oldschool controls the PS2 had

Last edited:
I am very confused here... there never was a remaster of Manhunt or an upgraded release on 360... Manhunt released on PS2, Xbox and PC and only on these platforms ever.
it since was made backwards compatible on 360 and Xbox One/Series as well as available as a PS2 classic on PS3 and PS4, all of which run the original Xbox/PS2 game in software emulation

the Xbox version, which released later, has better graphics, a 60fps lock instead of a 30fps lock and a second more modern control scheme on top of the more oldschool controls the PS2 had
Oh, my bad. I assumed that it had to have had some kinda remaster to get to 60 fps. I also know that some Rockstar games got some kind of treatment on the 360. Like gta San Andreas and bully. I get it now though Manhunt is a tried and true orig xbox game

Banned
Oh, my bad. I assumed that it had to have had some kinda remaster to get to 60 fps. I also know that some Rockstar games got some kind of treatment on the 360. Like gta San Andreas and bully. I get it now though Manhunt is a tried and true orig xbox game

yeah Bully and San Andreas got full ports on 360. San Andreas is based on the Mobile port and Bully was just a standard cross gen port basically... very underwhelming as well as it barely has any improvement over the PS2 version

Manhunt on Xbox is honestly a bigger upgrade from the PS2 version than Bully on 360 is lol. the framerate upgrade and the new controls alone make it way more pleasant to play

Rockstar ports on Xbox in general were usually vastly superior to the PS2 versions. the only exception was San Andreas which had issues on Xbox due to a sloppy port.

Last edited:

Antwix

Damn I forgot how sexist timesplitters future perfect was. I think I should create a thread on resetera about it
IJU6zMq.jpg

Unk Adams

Banned
Don't know man, Otogi 1& 2 were my most requested games but, after buying Otogi 1 the other day I can say that the game hasn't aged well, like, at all - muddy graphics, weird control scheme and that lock-on camera is just bad.
Also, for the price they're asking (20 a pop - that FROM tax man) is just...nope.
Nostalgia was too strong, sure and I've always had fond memories of these games but let's just say that I'm disappointed, make no mistake, these ain't remotely at the same level of Panzer dragoon orta or Ninja gaiden black.
Cheers
If you think $20 each is too much for the Otogi games then you should see how much the physical copies are going for these days (even for grimy old used copies). Funny because at one point both Otogi games flopped at retail and sat unwanted in bargain bins for years.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This week they have a few good games that weren't on sale last week:

Assassin's Creed$5.9970%
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair$4.9467%
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow$6.5967%
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate HD$3.7475%
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2$9.9975%
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night$4.9950%
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two$4.9975%
LEGO Indiana Jones: Original Adventures$4.9975%
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean$4.9975%
LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy$4.9467%
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars$4.9975%
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga$4.9975%
LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues$4.9975%
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance$4.9975%
Silent Hill HD Collection$7.4975%
Split/Second$4.9975%
STAR WARS Battlefront$4.9950%
Star Wars Battlefront II$4.9950%
STAR WARS Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy$4.9950%
Star Wars KOTOR II$4.9950%
Star Wars Republic Commando$4.9950%
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed$4.9975%
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II$4.9975%
STAR WARS™ - Knights of the Old Republic™$4.9950%
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist$5.9970%
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow®$4.4970%
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction$5.9970%
Toy Story 3$4.9950%

Sad to say, nothing for me because I literally own all of these games already.

Last edited:

Banned

Assassin's Creed$5.9970%
Split/Second$4.9975%
Toy Story 3$4.9950%

it is cool and all that they still keep Lego Star Wars 2 available and all for preservation and stuff... but you shouldn't really buy that over Complete Saga lol, ESPECIALLY for basically the same price? LIKE? WHAT? it's literally less than half the game... compared to Complete Saga... for the same price...

Last edited:

intbal

If you think $20 each is too much for the Otogi games then you should see how much the physical copies are going for these days (even for grimy old used copies). Funny because at one point both Otogi games flopped at retail and sat unwanted in bargain bins for years.

A lot of years.
I bought a new, still sealed copy of Otogi 2 just 4 years ago for $12. I think that was through a reseller store on Amazon.
People definitely had their chance to pick it up.

If you want to speculate on potential future BC games to pick up now while they're still cheap, just look through all the old Activision/Vivendi/Sierra games released on Xbox.
Good spots to start browsing:
Activision
Vivendi
Sierra

ReBurn

Gold Member

Assassin's Creed$5.9970%
Split/Second$4.9975%
Toy Story 3$4.9950%

I almost bought Split/Second for $20 this weekend. Glad I waited.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Assassin's Creed$5.9970%
Split/Second$4.9975%
Toy Story 3$4.9950%

Yeah I got everything from that list I need already. Waiting on a few more to go on sale.

Enslaved
Dead to Rights
Lightning Returns
Soul Calibur
Soul Calibur II
Otogi 2
Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Couple others I can't remember off the top of my head.

I want to get some of these Rockstar games but I'm hesitating because they're like $9 each ....will the price get lower anytime soon? I wonder because I've bought Rockstar Table Tennis and Bully for less. But Max Payne 1 and 2/midnight club/Manhunt are all newer BC releases so ...could take a while

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Assassin's Creed$5.9970%
Split/Second$4.9975%
Toy Story 3$4.9950%

This sale had an incredibly impressive ping of games. The Xbox 360 back catalogue (and some of the OG Xbox one) went more than toe to toe with PS3, you find games with better graphics and performance and with much better emulation (I still cannot believe how much better Deadly Premonition plays). I am almost embarrased at the loot I got at this sale… feels like someone launched a hook from a green fishing rod and…
Flying Slow Motion GIF by Digg

intbal

I want to get some of these Rockstar games but I'm hesitating because they're like $9 each ....will the price get lower anytime soon? I wonder because I've bought Rockstar Table Tennis and Bully for less. But Max Payne 1 and 2/midnight club/Manhunt are all newer BC releases so ...could take a while
Isn't Midnight Club full of licensed music?
I'm guessing it's one of the uncommon instances where all the rights holders actually were willing to renegotiate and allow the game to be resold. Possibly explaining the higher price and why it might not get any cheaper than it currently is.

Top Bottom