• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Boss Phil Spencer Calls For Cross-Platform Ban Program

ManaByte

"Something I would love us to be able to do--this is a hard one as an industry--is when somebody gets banned in one of our networks, is there a way for us to ban them across other networks?" he said.

Alternatively, Spencer said he would embrace a system that allows players to bring their "banned user list" to them on another platform. "And I'd love to be able to bring them to other networks where I play. So this is the group of people that I choose not to play with. Because I don't want to have to recreate that in every platform that I play video games on," he said.

lost-world-malcolm.gif

Yea this is a fantastic idea! Until of course you don't pass the mob's purity test and they brigade until they get the company to agree to ban you:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds like a great idea.

But doubt many join on. They risk losing gamers and sales from cheaters/ban worthy people. They'd rather absorb some bannable people and decide later if they are worth banning on their platform.

You dont even get banned gamers across games from the same company. You'd think someone banned from COD would be worth banning across all their Activision games as a deterrent and proactive measure to prevent that gamer from cheating across other games. But I doubt think any publisher does that(?).

Last edited:

reksveks

They are talking about interoperability of user specific banned account lists aka if I ban one person on pc then they should be banned also on xbox (just for me).

Nothing to do with companies doing it themselves. That would require a cross platform moderation policy.

Last edited:
I'm all for it. I'm surprised people would be opposed to this. If I myself banned people on one platform, I would great to not have to deal with those people on other networks.

HTK

Banned
That's what he said.
No, he's basically saying if you're banned on PSN that should translate over to Xbox Live or Steam etc...

I'm literally talking about an industry wide investment in tools to detect and prevent cheating on consoles and crossplay enabled games along with legal pressure to shut down cheat makers. After that, sure ban them across all the platforms.

Shubh_C63

To me sounds like a terrible idea. It strips internet of what makes it internet.

How will they achieve this, probably assigning a definite tag to its user and sharing libraries (of sorts) between companies, like a China citizen grading system. Cheaters and what-not bannable people ruins game but I don't think this extreme step is warranted.

FingerBang

No, sorry, bad idea. I understand the good intent, but imagine this situation:

People mass report you because they're sore losers. The automatic report system flags you and you're banned until a human gets to have a look.
It takes this human 5 days to check that you didn't do anything against their TOS. Meanwhile, for those 5 days, you can go fuck a sheep, since you're banned from all networks and can't play any games.
But what if the other companies want to check personally and take even longer to review your case?

If someone is a cheater at COD, ban the user from COD. If someone is racist or homophobic, ban him from the network where he broke TOS. Imagine being banned from a shop and suddenly not being able to buy groceries. Or having money problem with Amazon and suddenly being unable to buy on ebay. Nope.

HTK

Banned
Also, I agree with folks saying it's a bad idea based on mass user reporting. I do agree on the idea with anti-cheat with undeniable evidence that someone is exploiting/cheating in game to share that list.

I think there is a fine distinction between the two.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
As someone who has taken legal action against a gaming company that employs Phil Spencer for an unjust ban, and knowing that it cost them hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars to resolve, my guess is that other companies wouldn't want to take on that type of financial responsibility just because their competitors said so. That's not even counting lost future revenues and such. No way this becomes a reality.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
always gonna be ways around it so the biggest offenders won’t stop. Prob get some shitty trolls at best.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm all for it. I'm surprised people would be opposed to this. If I myself banned people on one platform, I would great to not have to deal with those people on other networks.

If you can personally block someone on that platform then just do that. I don't think we should be going to down the road of companies sharing lists of personally banned gamers with other companies. Sounds like a logistical nightmare anyway.

If you can personally block someone on that platform then just do that. I don't think we should be going to down the road of companies sharing lists of personally banned gamers with other companies. Sounds like a logistical nightmare anyway.
It would be. He even said so himself in this very short quote.

ManaByte

Yeah. These are personally curated ban lists. They don't want to deal with me I don't want to deal with them.

You don't understand what that means. He's taking reference from Twitter blocklists. Which are 100% political cancel tools to silence wrongthink. People will take a Twitter blocklist full of enemies and give it to the gaming companies to get those people banned from games as well.

Zones

Poor poor Gaywood... :lollipop_fearful:

Microsoft explains Gaywood GamerTag ban​

Microsoft's explained why it banned a man from using his surname as a GamerTag on Xbox Live. As reported yesterday, Richard Gaywood - GamerTag RichardGaywood - had his named blocked on the service as included the word "gay".

"We want the Xbox LIVE community to have the freedom to express themselves, but we also have a responsibility to create an inclusive, safe environment," Microsoft's Stephen Toulouse told Kotaku.

"While it may be clear to some that Gaywood is a legitimate surname, it may not be obvious to other Xbox LIVE members. In this case, a complaint was filed by a member of the community, requiring the Xbox LIVE team to examine the gamertag within the context of the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use. Based on the these guidelines, it was necessary for the GamerTag to change."
Advertisement

NickFire

It's one thing to say MS isn't interested in console wars while throwing red meat to the warriors. This is a whole new level though. What is it Phil? Is MS averse to politics being promoted via Xbox, or is MS determined to let a handful of political zealots decide who is allowed to play videogames in any meaningful capacity?

Phil should chill on playing with fire. He should stick to the platitudes / adjectives without anything concrete being said like he does on the metrics they stopped reporting.

I feel like the only people against this are the ones who constantly get banned and don't like facing the consequences of their actions. I also imagine if something like this were to ever get implemented it would mainly be focused on stuff like cheating, or the type of harassments you would never do in real life where you're not protected by anonymity

Top Bottom