• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox currently has a mystery sequel in development that could take as long as a decade to make, it's been revealed

Saber

Gold Member
I would guess either Elder Scroll or Fable. Those games reveal were pretty much redundant since theres basically nothing on them. They probably didn't even started development on the time they were revealed.

Ev1L AuRoN

Halo is dead. Forza Horizon is now on a long term break. It's been 6 years since the last Forza Motorsport. That trio isn't what it used to be. Nobody is asking for Gears 6.
I agree, but we are talking about Microsoft, the main line forza its cooking but we have the horizon series almost early.

Kvally

Banned
I agree, but we are talking about Microsoft, the main line forza its cooking but we have the horizon series almost early.
Well, I am looking forward to Forza Motorsport 8 without a doubt. Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport get the most of my game time as far as racing goes. I am glad Turn 10 took a long time with this new one. It was getting stale. I hope they impress.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Starfield coming out this year means the major focus in 2024 on will be ES6. So with the 5 years of blue balls so far then another 5+ gives you the decade.

I will be 40 years old minimum when this game comes out.

Starfield better be amazing if for only taking 5 years+ away from ES6 development time.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Call of Duty
Signs 10 year deals,
Dave Chappelle Gotcha GIF

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
A history of the XBOX wait for games narrative...

Wait till E3
Wait till the Tokyo games Show
Wait till XBOX Direct
Wait for game pass to grow
Wait Until Next Generation
Wait until the series X

And now... Wait a whole decade.
Black Panther Wakanda Forever GIF by Marvel Studios

StueyDuck

Banned
As others have suggested this may not be so mysterious.

Bets on elder scrolls are pretty good. Also perfect dark seems to be a non starter so far.

I doubt this is some 10 year banjo Kazooie project haha or anything like that

Spaceman292

Banned
If in 2023 getting Age of Empires 4 for Xbox, Hi-Fi Rush, Minecraft Legends, FH5 Expansion, Starfield and Forza Motorsport 8 isn't "something", then I think it is high time you sell your Xbox. Sadly, it will never get better than that. If people don't like upcoming games such as those, as well as games like Avowed, Hellblade 2, Fable, Perfect Dark, Everwild, Indiana Jones or whatever else MS is making, you will never like Xbox.

My Xbox sat DEAD in 2022. If that were to happen again, that thing is getting kicked to the curb. This better be the start of them finally releasing games on a cadence. Otherwise, I am going all PS/PC.
Age of Empires came out two years ago, Minecraft Legends sucks, Forza is just cars and stuff again. I hope Starfield is awesome but it might suck, and it's taken a long time to get here.

Last edited:
leadership will change multiple times over at microsoft,, xbox, and the game studio within this time period that theres a good chance this never sees the light.

why is this even being discussed here...

talk about a big fat

Hungry Food GIF

Kvally

Banned
Age of Empires came out two years ago, Minecraft Legends sucks, Forza is just cars and stuff again. I hope Starfield is awesome but it might suck, and it's taken a long time to get here.
AoE IV for Xbox didn't come out two years ago. I have never played it and I don't have a PC. It's new for Xbox gamers. I haven't played Legends, so I wouldn't know. But like I said, if the games MS has in the pipeline don't appeal to someone, it's time to sell that Xbox or never buy one. It's not changing. MS is gonna MS.

StueyDuck

Banned
Bethesda shouldn't have revealed TES6 way early.
It's been 4-5 years since last trailer.

I disagree to a degree. Like they were never gonna just skip ES6... may as well just get it out there and be like, of course we are making it now leave us alone, much how I wish Rockstar would speak about gta6 (which they eventually did).

But I do think it hurts starfield. I think many who aren't In the gaming loop will be like naaah I don't want this space thing I'll just get the next skyrim like that trailer I saw.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xbox is a good console numerous reasons, the controller feels intimate, the dashboard leaves more to desire, all it needs is practical exclusives.

Eotheod

It would actually be incredibly interesting to catalogue all the larger first-party games on all platforms from inception (so actual beginning of creation not just thoughts) through to launch of title. It would of course show the increases in development time, but it would also give a clear overview of general deliverance according to each platform, genre, developer etc. Likewise, it is hard to gauge those timeframes publicly, because not everyone states when exactly they actually started developing their game. I do think it would be a great resource for the industry to gauge the impacts from a sociocultural lens but also technological aspect in that newer generations cause newer toolsets that can do more and take longer to produce "bigger" impactful results.

StueyDuck

Banned
It would actually be incredibly interesting to catalogue all the larger first-party games on all platforms from inception (so actual beginning of creation not just thoughts) through to launch of title. It would of course show the increases in development time, but it would also give a clear overview of general deliverance according to each platform, genre, developer etc. Likewise, it is hard to gauge those timeframes publicly, because not everyone states when exactly they actually started developing their game. I do think it would be a great resource for the industry to gauge the impacts from a sociocultural lens but also technological aspect in that newer generations cause newer toolsets that can do more and take longer to produce "bigger" impactful results.
Kickstarter kind of allows that depending on how well the campaign is run by the developers

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Decade long dev cycles seem like an exercise in futility to me. Who the hell knows where the market is going to be that far ahead and if you've sunken 10 years worth of effort into it, you can ill afford not to hit that bullseye!

Decade long dev cycles seem like an exercise in futility to me. Who the hell knows where the market is going to be that far ahead and if you've sunken 10 years worth of effort into it, you can ill afford not to hit that bullseye!
Unless you are a tiny team of 3 people, release on PC and just keep adding content over time like with Dwarf Fortress, it just wouldn't work. 12 years is literally two consoles generations long, we can't even imagine what the expectations of the customers are like by then. The gaming goal post moves all the time, if your development is too slow then you basically bet outpaced by the market.

Also, no game with a 12 year development in an actual studio with a full team would ever make its money back. If you take twice as long to make a game you are going to need to earn twice as much money as normal games... And that is just not happening, EVER.

It's Call of Duty Xbox exclusive no PlayStation allowed version. A decade is when all these CoD contracts MS is signing to get the Activision Blizzard acquisition over the finish line start to expire.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why even fucking bother announcing it when it not even close to ready. I wish more developers were like Monolith Soft and Creative Business Unit III.

They will keep their mouth shut until they have actually ready to show something.

Just think about how much longer one is going to have to wait for another Fallout from them.
Seems like Bethesda is currently having issues so maybe. Fallout 4 was trash and 76 was worse so it's hard to care. If TES6 is good that would already be a miracle. Everything MS touches turns into shit.

Top Bottom