• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 2016 Press Conference: June 13th at 9:30 AM PDT / 12:30 PM EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanN92

Banned
Here is what they said in the actual video:

MN: This is a big year for xbox gaming, every year seems to get bigger and bigger for Xbox gaming; what do you think?

PS: This..... I think this might be one of our most special years ever.

MN: Most special year ever.

PS: Yeah I think back to some of the most important years in xbox history, you and I were there for zero hour.

MN: Yes, out in the desert.

PS: in the desert.

MN: Here in California.

PS: I think about that and you know and I think there are certain moments in Xbox history that us as fans, if I can put myself into fans of Xbox, think of as important years for us and I think this will be one of those years.

I think what he actually said is even more hype then the paraphrase.

I don't think he is talking just about a game guys, he sounds like he is finally getting to put his vision for Xbox into action.

Don't get me wrong... Hyped as fuck...

But I also can't help but think Phil was drunk off his ass.
Like he clearly had a lot last night.

m23

Ryan from IGN seems pretty sure MS is going to bring back Summer of Arcade.

Well it just makes so much sense. They have so many of these 'smaller' games gearing up ie. Below, Cuphead, Ashen, Inside, Pit People etc. Those are just some of the bigger ones, not to mention all the Indie titles that are probably ready to launch soon. Maybe just one or two of those titles I listed above can headline Summer of Arcade.

Phil already said he wants it to be though, and it definitely will be once their store takes off and has some actual games they can give away for free, which with the store merger this year, that could actually be this year.

I haven't seen that comment (link?), but if it does happen, then they'd obviously have to do something about it. I reckon they'll start charging PC users again, as I can't see them giving up that Live money.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The only thing that would justify this hype is Scorpio in November 2016, compatible with Rift. $1000 to get them in a bundle. If they say this is the year they have to do it this year, an announcement for next year doesn't cut it. But realistically it's something like all Windows-Games playable on Xbox or every PC can become an Xbox.

le.phat

Must be some game changing annoucement, something that change video game forever.

The 'gamechanger' will be the official unveiling of the xbox-as-a-platform and all that it entails. It obvious that their xbox service plans is the biggest shift since the initial unveiling of the console itself.

The only thing that would justify this hype is Scorpio in November 2016, compatible with Rift. $1000 to get them in a bundle. If they say this is the year they have to do it this year, an announcement for next year doesn't cut it. But realistically it's something like all Windows-Games playable on Xbox or every PC can become an Xbox.

$1000

MS: How do you want your money
Me: JUST FUCK MY WALLET UP

heart2battack.jpg

Yes, because the head of Xbox that actually set this all up is just being hyperbolic.

C'mon man.

Like, we already know much of what they are getting set to announce. There's even word floating around out there about what hasn't leaked yet.

Personally, it all sounds really hype, but that quote makes it sound like it is some earth-shattering announcement he is making, when in reality he's announcing a few pieces of hardware and some new games. For sure, this stuff will have varying degrees of impact for people, but I don't think this is gonna be E3 2010 or E3 '06.

krang

I think they could, eventually. If there's any IP MS owns that they can use to help leverage their own platforms. It's Minecraft.

I would make a Minecraft 2 full fat version with all the bells and whistles. Make it exclusive to Xbox and Windows store. This alone could have potential to sell 25 million plus.

Then a Minecraft 2 : Lite. A cut down version for mobile / tablet etc. An introduction to the new much more expanded game and extra income source.

This would have to be an incremental transition. If they just drop a MC2 exclusivity bombshell, it'll likely to just kill the franchise. They need to slowly get people over to the Xbox/Win10 platform with incentives, exclusivity on DLC, and the better non-Java version, all while still supporting OG Minecraft.

There may then be a point where a wholesale sequel exclusive doesn't actually have a massive impact which could turn bad.

Doffen

Ryan from IGN seems pretty sure MS is going to bring back Summer of Arcade.

Sure. Why not. They've said they're interested in doing better promotion and focus on ID@Xbox games.

We know they've got a bunch of console and timed exclusive games ready for release.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Like, we already know much of what they are getting set to announce. There's even word floating around out there about what hasn't leaked yet.

Personally, it all sounds really hype, but that quote makes it sound like it is some earth-shattering announcement he is making, when in reality he's announcing a few pieces of hardware and some new games. For sure, this stuff will have varying degrees of impact for people, but I don't think this is gonna be E3 2010 or E3 '06.

Why do you have to be a debbie downer?

Even Shinobi said that there are massive announcements at the Xbox conference.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Has anybody sold their Xbox One in anticipation of Scorpio/new hardware? I'm wondering whether to sell mine for $200 (have offer through Craigslist) or wait until tomorrow for announcements (and possibility of the One resale value dropping)

Broman1978

Has anybody sold their Xbox One in anticipation of Scorpio/new hardware? I'm wondering whether to sell mine for $200 (have offer through Craigslist) or wait until tomorrow for announcements (and possibility of the One resale value dropping)
Not my Xbox, but I sold my PS4 this week just because Sony would annonce the PS4 NEO. Then Sony said they would NOT show Neo at E3, the day after I sold it lol=(

I sold mine the other day, but mainly because *all* the games are now coming to PC. If I get a Scorpio it will be mainly as a 4K Blu Ray player and some casual gaming on the side. I will stick it in my "club room".

Game gave me £125 for it lol.

wapplew

Announcing next gen Xbox is pretty big. Free multiplayer, Xbox emulation for PC, all seems to be the mic drop moment.

Chris1

I haven't seen that comment (link?), but if it does happen, then they'd obviously have to do something about it. I reckon they'll start charging PC users again, as I can't see them giving up that Live money.

He's tweeted multiple times about it but I can only find this one about Windows phones:

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/636943336608268288

It's gonna come.. it's just a matter of when. They just can't do it now because there's like 10 actual games on the Win10 store. But that's the only way they can get PC gamers to play

Still trying to find the one specifically about PC because he's definitely said about it before, but google is sucking :(

Edit: Here's one about brining it to PC: https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/636949487420862468 . Trying to find the others but it's hard trying to google specific tweets especially when most of them bring up xbox gwg.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I hate to say it guys.... but I'm really sick right now and I think I'm going to have to stop the hype train where it is unless anyone else wants to take over. I need to rest.

josh924

Banned
It wouldn't be a Fable game.

I don't know about that. I've been finishing up some Witcher 2 achievements so I can finally start Witcher 3, and I couldn't help but think that this is what Fable would be in the hands of a more competent dev studio. Then again, I don't play a lot of WRPGs, so maybe they would all feel like "more competently made Fable games".

My dream "Megaton" announcements for Microsoft:

- Xbox slim is revealed. It's a 1 TB system that launches in August for $299. All current systems are discounted by an additional $50, brining the 500GB OG console to $249
- Xbox Scorpio is announced, launches in Spring 2017, more details to follow but key info is:
- All Xbox One games/accessories are compatible
- All games will launch on both Xbox One and Scorpio (with the unspoken caveat that OG support will die after about 2 years)
- Oculus works with Scorpio, official bundles coming
- Xbox Live multiplayer is now free for everyone. Xbox Live subscription changes to "Games with Gold" subscription that gives you 6 free games each month.
- All current Xbox Live Gold members get to pick one free game from Microsoft's fall lineup ($59.99 or less)
- Playtonic is on stage to announce a partnership with Microsoft for Yooka-Laylee, Xbox One gets exclusive Banjo cameo/levels

(Please be true)

Most of those sound cool, but what would make E3 for me is Lost Odyssey 2 being announced. I would also settle for Lost Odyssey: DE or Lost Odyssey just being BC. Of course, a brand new Mistwalker game would be great as well. Oh, and OG Xbox BC with added achievements, like what PS4 did with PS2 games.

What if......MS made all multiplayer free, across all of their platforms. The paid Xbox Live service would be for Games with Gold, and something like 10% off all new games and DLC bought from the Xbox/WIndows store. I'd be ok with that.

What if......MS made all multiplayer free, across all of their platforms. The paid Xbox Live service would be for Games with Gold, and something like 10% off all new games and DLC bought from the Xbox/WIndows store. I'd be ok with that.

Nah, XBL subs, like PS+ subs, are key to the modern console business model. They'll only ever add more reasons to sub rather than cut it down.

blakep267

That still makes no sense. There is no benefit to losing all of that money. No benefit and you get fired for something like that.

That still makes no sense. There is no benefit to losing all of that money. No benefit and you get fired for something like that.

Nah, XBL subs, like PS+ subs, are key to the modern console business model. They'll only ever add more reasons to sub rather than cut it down.

Yeah, I hear you. It chaps peoples asses that windows users and Xbox users can play the same game, bought from the same store, but the PC version is cheaper, and they can play for free. How can that NOT bother people? I don't have the solution, I was just throwing crap out there.

blakep267

Yeah, I hear you. It chaps peoples asses that windows users and Xbox users can play the same game, bought from the same store, but the PC version is cheaper, and they can play for free. How can that NOT bother people? I don't have the solution, I was just throwing crap out there.
Well i think you overestimate how much console players are paying attention to PC gamers. I mean it's the internet so of course people's voices seem louder but I doubt the destiny player or COd only player cares what Windows 10 is doing

mike4001_

I can´t get to a good answer of the "game changer" (if you use this word) MS is bringing.

1a) Play Xbox One games on PC => OK, should be possible but what about the publishers. Do they have to approve each game again and again?

1b) What about when Scorpio arrives. Will they work too and the PC just has to be a more powerful system as minimum?

2) Bring PC games to Xbox One => Don´t think so. Also I think they would just run terrible on the console without the console specific optimization developers have to do in order to get them to run.

3) Probably cross buy for every first party title and 3rd party if they want to (easy with store unification)

4) Make every PC an Xbox => OK, basically see 1) here

5) Maybe it really is "just" the new iterative cycle of their console. They rebrand it as the "Xbox", bring a new console every 2 years and new games must run on the current and 2 older revisions.

Doffen

I don't know about that. I've been finishing up some Witcher 2 achievements so I can finally start Witcher 3, and I couldn't help but think that this is what Fable would be in the hands of a more competent dev studio. Then again, I don't play a lot of WRPGs, so maybe they would all feel like "more competently made Fable games".

I don't want Fable to be a complex and gritty WRPG. Nor do I want a JRPG styled Fable game.

Fable should be simple and British. And not F2P.

wapplew

It's happening. #freemultiplayer

WadeitOut

I don't think Scorpio is out this year but the Dev Kit argument makes zero sense to me. The Xbox Scorpio is going to natively play Xbox One games. They are on blu ray discs and are developed for an x86 Architecture.

It could simply be that only first party studios have Dev kits right now. And it's not like it would take another year for a developer to alter optimization of a build to allow for more overhead.

jelly

Windows 10 and store are more important than paid multiplayer. If Microsoft thinks they can get more users by making multiplayer free, they'll definitely consider it. Xbox is being used to make Windows successful. It doesn't mean the Gold sub goes away, it just changes to something else.

Announcing next gen Xbox is pretty big. Free multiplayer, Xbox emulation for PC, all seems to be the mic drop moment.

Next gen? If we're talking about Scorpio, then thats an iterative console. MS is welcome to treat it as a next-gen console if they want, but that is going to come with a bunch of marketplace realities a next-gen console will have to face. Personally, I don't see any machine outside of maybe PSVR launching to some sales success. We're at the point where a console would need to push about 10 million units per 12 months to be viable for 3rd parties. I just don't see a new generation console, or either iterative console, doing those numbers just yet.

360 Emulation for PC? That would be pretty solid, actually. 360 Emulation for PC seems a given at this point, especially since all the major announcements & rumblings we've heard indicate this E3 is going to be about bridging the gap in-terms of experiences offered between the Xbox console & Windows 10.

Free MP? I think free MP would've been a fantastic choice in 2014 or even last year. When you're losing the user migration battle from users going 360 -> PS4, a move like that would've really stemmed that tide. Now that the PS4 userbase is sitting at a cozy 40+ million, its gonna be difficult to get them to switch back. It would still be a fantastic announcement, but I don't know if MS has the interest in cutting off one of the main drivers for XBL subscription right when they need profit avenues the most. I just don't see what Xbox currently would be able to offer to keep their userbase subscribed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom