• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 Conference 6/11 2pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorrgal

Soooo who still thinks it will be $499??

Just a couple days ago we were crazy (according to some) to think it would be $399, when it was always gonna be that after they didn't announce the price at the DF reveal ;)

Bad news--->bfr E3
Good news-->E3

gamz

Soooo who still thinks it will be $499??

Just a couple days ago we were crazy (according to some) to think it would be $399, when it was always gonna be that after they didn't announce the price at the DF reveal ;)

Bad news--->bfr E3
Good news-->E3

I do, but I'm warming up to the 449 price point. I think that's really a great midway price point.

I'll be very, very happy if it's 399. I was thinking maybe they do 399 for a month or two span and then move back to 499. Or something like that to get the ball rolling. Dunno!

DeputyVanHalen

Neo Member
Phil and Nintendo become best buds, Sea of Thieves will be on Switch and DKC Country Trilogy, DKC Returns, DKC Tropical Freeze and Diddy Kong Racing will hit xbox. Rare and Retro will collab on DKC4, releasing on Xbox and Switch late 2018

Believe!

I'd settle for them just coordinating not having their controller buttons have the same names but reversed. That screws me up all the time.

JMY86

I'd settle for them just coordinating not having their controller buttons have the same names but reversed. That screws me up all the time.

Agreed. Those get me every damn time. It screws me up playing a Nintendo game then again after when playing a game on PC, Xbox One or PS4.

Leonidas

I still think it will be $499.

Compared to PS4 Pro you get the following
+4 GB extra GDDR5
+4K BRD
+~29% higher clock speeds which will require more advanced cooling
+11% more CUs
+~10% higher CPU clock
+more powerful components require a bigger PSU

I don't see how they can offer all this at the same $399.

Banamy

+4 GB extra GDDR5
+4K BRD
+~10% higher CPU clock

They cant, but its microsoft, they can eat the hardware loss. Make it back in software.

blakep267

Your probably right, but I'm not sure why a game that is basically an adult playground needs to have an amazing narrative in order to score highly. No one would dock a Mario game for its story telling.

Just give me a good reason to climb tall buildings and/or knock them down.
But people judge mario and Zelda differently than a Sunset overdrive etc. I know I wouldn't care about that but you gotta be an established beloved franchise to get that home town discount

Like what's the difference between Forza horizon 2 & 3. Not much at all. But it's gotten more prestige and future installments are going to review better because of it

iMax

They cant, but its microsoft, they can eat the hardware loss. Make it back in software.

I don't think the industry really does loss leaders anymore. Everything is almost always sold at a healthy profit now. Shareholders basically expect it unless there's evidence of a really healthy array of attached halo products around the hero.

I don't think the industry really does loss leaders anymore. Everything is almost always sold at a healthy profit now. Shareholders basically expect it unless there's evidence of a really healthy array of attached halo products around the hero.

Shareholders won't be eating any profit at all if it's sold at a price no one will buy it for.. even 500 Is DOA..

Just good business practice..

iMax

Shareholders won't be eating any profit at all if it's sold at a price no one will buy it for.. even 500 Is DOA..

Just good business practice..

Yeah, that's the balance they'll have to find. It's also part of the reason I think they're pushing this as a premium, complementary product alongside Xbox One S.

I think they'll mimic the Apple model, with Scorpio sitting at a high-end price complemented with more affordable options like Xbox One S in the line—and as time goes by, newer models come out and older ones move down the price line so there are always multiple entry points.

MauroNL

IMO this is used more not less. Look how fast the prices have dropped this gen compared to ps3 and 360. Competition is heavier this gen and with way more viable income from xbox live, psn and microtransactions they can go deeper on hardware. Thats why there is more focus on MAUs compared to copies sold; higher profits. Thats just my two cents though.

Doffen

The base line is always the least profitable. That's why you get such a high price jump from 500gb to 1TB and 2TB.

The ideal costumer for Microsoft, when it comes to Xbox, is someone who buys the mid-HDD sku with 1 extra controller, 2 games and 12 months of Xbox Live Gold.

I'm quite confident that's the model ExpertZone continues to push. Maybe someone with access to it can confirm?

Wigdogger

Troubled?

I certainly wouldn't call it smooth. The game has been delayed, plus the "multiplayer experience" that was supposed to come last summer never materialized. It was pretty clear at that point that they were pivoting to Scorpio. Also, the recent Shinobi tweet confirms it hasn't been smooth. Again, probably some of that is from changing systems (One to Scorpio; but it can still run on the XB1).

It was probably announced too early -- as MS was lacking games at the time -- and it's clearly had some trouble getting going. I mean, think about it: we haven't really seen "official" footage for it. There have just been closed-doors demos of the tech, and then there was off-screen dev footage at Gamescom two years ago (with a tiny bit of multiplayer footage at the end). It's all been very limited, which shows they're not exactly confident to show it in public. Hopefully that has changed for this year's E3. It would be nice to feel good about the MP, which seems like it could be great, and the SP, which is a complete mystery.

iMax

IMO this is used more not less. Look how fast the prices have dropped this gen compared to ps3 and 360. Competition is heavier this gen and with way more viable income from xbox live, psn and microtransactions they can go deeper on hardware. Thats why there is more focus on MAUs compared to copies sold; higher profits. Thats just my two cents though.

Yeah but that has come with accelerated reduction in CPU/APU manufacturing processes and component costs. You're right about the additional revenue streams though, that could change the game (heh) a little bit.

+4 GB extra GDDR5
+4K BRD
+11% more CUs
+~10% higher CPU clock

Wait, the Scorpio has 12GB of RAM? What the hell... I thought it was only 8.

iMax

The base line is always the least profitable. That's why you get such a high price jump from 500gb to 1TB and 2TB.

The ideal costumer for Microsoft, when it comes to Xbox, is someone who buys the mid-HDD sku with 1 extra controller, 2 games and 12 months of Xbox Live Gold.

I'm quite confident that's the model ExpertZone continues to push. Maybe someone with access to it can confirm?

Oh, absolutely—but the base model is still at a healthy profit compared to last gen, that's my point.

Game consoles still aren't sold at high margin. The revision ones are undoubtedly much cheaper and sold at better margins (Xbox One S and the PS4 Slim), but at the launch of a new one it's going to be a thin margin.

Tough to tell how much Scorpio actually costs them to make though.

iMax

Game consoles still aren't sold at high margin. The revision ones are undoubtedly much cheaper and sold at better margins (Xbox One S and the PS4 Slim), but at the launch of a new one it's going to be a thin margin.

Yeah, I mean in comparison to older gens.

I thought the same thing when the Wii was codenamed Revolution...and then it became the Wii. Like, gross. Revolution was perfect.
"Hey guys, let's go play some Revolution"

I know what you're saying but Revolution is not a name designed for a console imo. Scorpio on the other hand...

Indeed, but no more of the huge losses from before.

Hawk269

+4 GB extra GDDR5
+4K BRD
+11% more CUs
+~10% higher CPU clock

You have to remember that the stuff Sony put in the PS4 PRO is going to be about a year old when Scorpio comes out. While we are getting much better hardware and I will bet my left nut that the casing materials and build quality will be better on Scorpio, coming out a year later and offering what they are for $399.99 is possible. At that price they most likely are making little to no profit on the system however.

cackhyena

"Hey guys, let's go play some Revolution"

I know what you're saying but Revolution is not a name design for a console imo. Scorpio on the other hand...
I'll only agree because it's four syllables and who has time for that. Otherwise, in a just world, we call it Rev and are oblivious to a name like Wii because what the fuck. I'd dig Scorpio but I'll be shocked if they actually keep it.

Trup1aya

But people judge mario and Zelda differently than a Sunset overdrive etc. I know I wouldn't care about that but you gotta be an established beloved franchise to get that home town discount

Like what's the difference between Forza horizon 2 & 3. Not much at all. But it's gotten more prestige and future installments are going to review better because of it

Again, this is probably true.

Just saying, I'd rather no hometown discounts, or rather, acknowledgement that the quality of a games experience isn't neccisarily a sum of parts.

Doffen

Oh, absolutely—but the base model is still at a healthy profit compared to last gen, that's my point.

Hard to say. Last time base model was sold at full price was back in October. You'll now find Xbox One S with Minecraft starting at $249.

And regarding the One S. The first model that was available was the limited edition vanilla 2TB edition priced at $399.

So even if the base model isn't profitable there are ways to make the other SKU's more appealing while still have that "starting at $XXX" to lure people.

THE:MILKMAN

+4 GB extra GDDR5
+4K BRD
+11% more CUs
+~10% higher CPU clock

Whilst all this is correct except the PSU (PS4 Pro has a 310W vs 245W for Scorpio) the main thing here is the year later part. Reduces costs quite a bit I would think.

Also the APU die is almost the same size as OG One so if yields are good and they negotiated a good deal with AMD, it should cost roughly the same? Any additional cost GDDR5 brings would be somewhat countered by the simpler board layout (12 RAM chips vs 16). No Kinect saves a good chuck of change too.

$399/£349 seems perfectly reasonable to me.

gamz

Whilst all this is correct except the PSU (PS4 Pro has a 310W vs 245W for Scorpio) the main thing here is the year later part. Reduces costs quite a bit I would think.

Also the APU die is almost the same size as OG One so if yields are good and they negotiated a good deal with AMD, it should cost roughly the same? Any additional cost GDDR5 brings would be somewhat countered by the simpler board layout (12 RAM chips vs 16). No Kinect saves a good chuck of change too.

$399/£349 seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Is this 2013?

Had no idea you could configure bombs in specific configurations in the new crackdown to produce different results. Very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_va-A4eSxH4

Nice explosion effect, good movement of the character

Missed some crackdown media. I wasn't too convinced by the previous crackdown games, but with scorpio coming out and with some of what I'm learning recently, I might just give it a chance.

Dueck

Banned
This E3 is probably the most crucial one MS has had so far. It really is a tipping point regarding public opinion and earning back lost market share. Their policies/services are definitely more consumer-friendly than Sony's on paper at this point, and mid-generations tend to see the console everyone bought begin to feel stale. That's partly how the PS3 made up so much ground on the 360 in the latter half of the cycle.

I want MS to come out swinging and kickstart some serious competition with Sony, where they both pull out all the stops and we're given a golden age like that of the mid-90s through mid-00s (opinion). Nonetheless, I'm nervous that it'll just be all about the Scorpio (a name it hopefully keeps - the official ones are always worse), stuff we know about, and sequel announcements for aging franchises.

THE:MILKMAN

The Kinect hasn't effected the price of the Xbox One in like three years. Just odd to include that.

I might be completely wrong but all I'm suggesting is Scorpio looks very similar at a component level as the launch Xbox One but 4 years on in tech terms. The major difference being Kinect being included making it $499.

This is only comparing launch with launch of course. I know Kinect hasn't been around for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom