• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox forced it. No apologies, no excuses. Sony was smarter about their reveal.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Nice strawman and hilariously, the cutscenes of Uncharted 4 do look significantly better than the gameplay shots.

maxresdefault.jpg

Drake doesn't look this detailed in-game.
Optimization, look into it. There's a photo mode for cutscenes, explain that.

Humdinger

I respect Phil, but he can't be saying crap like he has this whole time then have an "okay" showing with like 1 or 2 instances of gameplay. I suppose I'm a victim of my own enthusiasm.

Phil is a terrific PR guy for his own product, but he's been doing the same thing since 2015 or so -- building up expectations, then under-delivering. The cycle of hype/meh became so repetitive, it turned into the "wait for next E3" meme a few years ago. Lofty promises, underwhelming delivery. That's pretty much been the story of the last 5 or 6 years. People keep expecting things to turn out differently this time, and I can see why people got their hopes up -- it's a new generation, after all.

But this is just the way Phil is. He is a likeable fellow and a good talker. You want to believe what he's saying. I'm sure that's a large part of why he is in his current position -- his natural sales ability. But remember that "sales ability" basically means the ability to talk people into believing something has a greater value than it actually does.

The trick is to ignore what he says and pay attention to what he delivers. If you're happy with that, you're set.

Me, I'm waiting for next E3.

Gravemind

What the hell? Why would they show an old build like this that wasn't up to snuff yet???

I am severely confused as to what is going on with the showing... wow

Not sure. Could have been that it was the most stable build for showing an extended demo. They probably recorded it months ago for the original E3 showing.

Pretty bad first gameplay impression though in my opinion. That's something I would have expected at last year's E3.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Horizon didn’t show a second of gameplay.

Done.

While it was not stated that it was gameplay footage, must I remind you that the in engine trailers for Zero Dawn were actually rendered exactly as the final game, only with cinematic camera angles? It's very likely zero forbidden west will look almost as good, if not just as good, as what we've been shown.

Still, this is just speculation, but at least it was running in engine on a ps5, not a PC

Mr Moose

The camera is definitely close at slow speed, but pretty much any swinging move moves the camera out. The game has a pacing of You starting to slow, the camera moves in, and then most anything you do speeds you up, and you move away from the camera, then slow down and the camera catches up again.
Your avatar makes me wonder if we'll get an update for FF XV for next gen (also why didn't I get the DLC shit, I bought the collectors edition with the Noctis figure, wtf Square-Enix?).

Mr Moose

Cutscenes aren't pre-rendered which is why I called it a strawman lol. I never made the argument it was pre-rendered. Is this cutscenes representative of how the game looks? No it freakin isn't.
They showed Horizon Zero Dawn at E3 and that shit went straight into gameplay and looked amazing still (lots thought it was just cutscenes until that point), I think they will do the same here, hopefully.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Cutscenes aren't pre-rendered which is why I called it a strawman lol. I never made the argument it was pre-rendered. Is this cutscenes representative of how the game looks? No it freakin isn't.
My argument is that it's being rendered in realtime on the hardware, whether it matches gameplay or not is irrelevant when one's trying to show off hardware power. That's all. I know gameplay doesn't look as good, close, but not as good. That wasn't my argument. Try again.

Andodalf

Banned
Your avatar makes me wonder if we'll get an update for FF XV for next gen (also why didn't I get the DLC shit, I bought the collectors edition with the Noctis figure, wtf Square-Enix?).

I have been praying for this. Honestly I should just finally cave and build a gaming PC, but a next gen port of FFXV would be amazing, even if not all the game works stuff makes the cut due to the consoles being AMD. Square was pretty solid about pro and XOX support, so I’m hopeful, but I wouldn’t place any bets. I feel like XIV and KH3 would probably get updates first. I was really hoping to hear about next gen patches when we saw Square pop up in Sony’s show, but no dice. Luminous is still producing some of the most striking graphics out there.

My argument is that it's being rendered in realtime on the hardware, whether it matches gameplay or not is irrelevant when one's trying to show off hardware power. That's all. I know gameplay doesn't look as good, close, but not as good. That wasn't my argument. Try again.
I don't care about your argument. You barged in into the discussion I was having with someone esle and tried to pass it off as gameplay when it wasn't. Now it's "hur hur, doesn't matter if it wasn't gameplay."

They showed Horizon Zero Dawn at E3 and that shit went straight into gameplay and looked amazing still (lots thought it was just cutscenes until that point), I think they will do the same here, hopefully.
I think the game can look reasonably close to that. This doesn't look undoable at all.

Mr Moose

Halo looks... OK for an open world 60fps cross-gen game. Nothing special but it's not terrible.
You can clearly see its being held back by this gen but it's to be expected.

DavidGzz

This video featured in game footage, you just had to look for it.

Jf78Rfd.gif

videoplayback14.gif

Yeah, Guerilla has never shown bullshots. People never learn. I love Ghost of Tshushima but even it had a huge downgrade. We won't know for sure until the game comes out but I wouldn't hold my breath for that to be representative of actual gameplay.

Dodkrake

Banned
So the new spider man, all about fluidity is going to constantly remove control of the character and camera for glam shots. Even worse! If this is a real shot of something that makes it to the final game, it’s 100% in a scripted sequence out of a cutscene. And That guy isn’t even at Insomniac anymore

1. Denial and isolation;
2. Anger;

3. Bargaining;
4. Depression;
5. Acceptance.

Smoke6

I was so surprised that HellBlade 2 was not shown at all. They had a developer diary. I honestly thought we would get a big ol walk through of that game. It's the first game we've ever seen on Series X. I wonder how far off that game is. I really wanted to see that game.

Man Helen Keller seem that wasn’t actual gameplay but a target render cinematic trailer and y’all fell for it!

makes you think how this was even possible to begin with!

Ok, at risk of derailing the point of this thread...which is address some very real problems with next gen prospects and to call out the most recent show for what it is. I'll stop to humor you because you brought up a conversation from a completely different thread.

Oh wait, no I won't. If you wanna discuss it hit me in the DM. I'm not derailing the thread to satisfy your challenges right now. Especially when it's so easy to thwart your attempts.

The reason for the post is that I clearly assumed, with this thread and your comments that you arrived to the same sort of mindset I described. Whether you agree with it or not is of no consequence the more I look at it - it's self reinforcing with this thread and many others. With "but the company said cop out" - like what?. Not gonna take it to DM's - I'm not a preacher trying to turn "unbelievers" and that kind of thing. We can continue to disagree and leave it at that.

Last edited:

Saaleh

Banned
I don't give Sony any passes...if they piss me off I'll rip them a new one any day of the week.
If they think putting Goodbye Volcano High in the middle of a next gen showcase was smart, I have news for them...ruined the flow and peoples attention is hard to keep, that and Bugsnax really were bad calls.

The issue is The PS cnference had momentum from the start and those 2 games screwed up the pace. If they cut down some of the content and cut Hitman cause that had nothing in terms of gameplay...I think most people would have given it at least an 8 and maybe a 9.

I still gave it a 9 because I just ignored those games and the hardware reveal was hype for me personally. But I'm mostly saying for undecided people or Xbox people looking to potentially get a PS5 as a secondary console.

wo oowooo ~ Talkin about BUGSNAX ~ wo oowooo

How can you hate that flow ?

Last edited:

sendit

Yeah, Guerilla has never shown bullshots. People never learn. I love Ghost of Tshushima but even it had a huge downgrade. We won't know for sure until the game comes out but I wouldn't hold my breath for that to be representative of actual gameplay.

Even with GoT being downgraded. It still looks a generation ahead of Halo Infinite.

bitbydeath

I said it wasn't gameplay which it isn't, that's all. The game can look reasonably close to this but this isn't gameplay they showed and it's damn obvious.

That remains unproven. IMO.
Nothing indicates it didn’t feature gameplay.

EDIT: Here's a gameplay segment (Yes, it is gameplay) from HZD.

K26ADLU.gif

Notice the camera doesn't need to follow directly behind Aloy despite still being gameplay.

Last edited:

Aion002

I disagree.

They didn't force it, they choose to do so.

Xbox main point is cross gen, this is their new kinect, it's their bet on making money, they want Xbox One owners money on services so they need to make Halo (for example, their main game) cross gen.

Obviously this don't comes free, as the game have to run in some parity with an Xbox One OG it will evidently not be a true next gen game. This is the price for cross gen titles.... It's a choice. The game is ready, they might improve it a little, but I don't think we can expect a big improvement.... I HOPE I AM WRONG.

Both next gen consoles are a mess right now, we don't know the price, release dates or final launch lineup for these systems and everything that has been shown isn't coming out at launch or didn't look like next gen games.

Its pretty clear that both companies are holding back information to build hype and this strategy is backfiring especially for MS because they now have two bad "showcases"

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Even with GoT being downgraded. It still looks a generation ahead of Halo Infinite.

I detect no lies but it's mostly the art style because the character models are not has high fidelity besides it's 30 fps and not in 4k. I own and love both platforms and Ghost is my GoTG so any praise it gets is ok by me, it still had a huge downgrade.

Last edited:

sendit

I detect no lies but it's mostly the art style? I own and love both platforms and Ghost is my GoTG so any praise it gets is ok by me, it still had a huge downgrade.

Could be a mixture of both. But if you compare the amount of particles and geometry per scene...the infinite amount of individual grass swaying with the wind...GoT is technically the more impressive game. Halo Infinite is using the extra grunt to push 4K & 120 FPS, a huge waste of resource.

Jim Ryan stated eveyrhing that was going to be shown back in June was running on a PS5.

From what Guerilla Games can bring nobody needs to worry about that, they’ll deliver in the visuals like they always have with their games.

MS on the other hand have been playing a dangerous game, people have been using Hellblade 2 as a benchmark for next gen graphics, yet they don’t even have anything to show since December 2019.

That Hellblade trailer was nothing but CG, anything MS say at this point should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Uh...go recheck your info.

When we say "gameplay", we mean real-time stuff the player would actually expect in the campaign. Miles Morales had none of that. Horizon: Forbidden West arguably had none of that, either. In-engine and real-time gameplay are two very different things. Comparatively, R&C had real-time gameplay. GT7 had real-time gameplay. Same goes for Sackboy and Astro (even if they aren't quite lookers).

MS's show had that with Halo Infinite but while that looks fun to play visually it needs more polish. Sadly that was the only 1st-party offering of theirs today that had real-time gameplay to it.

HellBlade 2 was in-engine, Epic themselves literally confirmed this with some UE5 infographics last week :pie_roffles:. And I expect the actual game's real-time graphics to look at least damn close to the 2019 trailer; Ninja Theory are extremely talented when it comes to visuals, they've been so since PS3 days. I can actually see them equaling or surpassing Naughty Dog in that department next-gen especially if Naughty Dog continues to bleed talent.

Uh...go recheck your info.

When we say "gameplay", we mean real-time stuff the player would actually expect in the campaign. Miles Morales had none of that. Horizon: Forbidden West arguably had none of that, either. In-engine and real-time gameplay are two very different things. Comparatively, R&C had real-time gameplay. GT7 had real-time gameplay. Same goes for Sackboy and Astro (even if they aren't quite lookers).

MS's show had that with Halo Infinite but while that looks fun to play visually it needs more polish. Sadly that was the only 1st-party offering of theirs today that had real-time gameplay to it.

HellBlade 2 was in-engine, Epic themselves literally confirmed this with some UE5 infographics last week :pie_roffles:. And I expect the actual game's real-time graphics to look at least damn close to the 2019 trailer; Ninja Theory are extremely talented when it comes to visuals, they've been so since PS3 days. I can actually see them equaling or surpassing Naughty Dog in that department next-gen especially if Naughty Dog continues to bleed talent.

MM had some gameplay snippets

Bkdk

Both shows don't convince me to get a console, but did convince me to upgrade my pc. certainly very excited for stalker 2 and avowed. Forza, the medium and fable should be great to play on PC as well . I hope MS will finally disband 343i and they can use the funds to pump out 2 or 3 AAA PC exclusive RTS/simulation/rpgs for it.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Could be a mixture of both. But if you compare the amount of particles and geometry per scene...the infinite amount of individual grass swaying with the wind...GoT is technically the more impressive game. Halo Infinite is using the extra grunt to push 4K & 120 FPS, a huge waste of resource.

Man, I hate to talk shit about GoT but it can look pretty ugly at times. I saw many times in the distance the grass being gone along with super low res textures. Again, it's the art style, colors, and pretty particles and it runs at half the frames. Talking about it being a gen ahead is totally hyperbolic.

i love how game pass has become the security blanket after todays failure and fallout lol

I can admit that Sony had the better showing but how can we disregard free games? You act as if they all looked bad. Both Sony and MS had many games that look boring af or just not my style like Ratchet and Grounded. If I was getting everything Sony showed for that $1 I'd be way more excited as well. It's funny how we say that a $600 console is DOA but saving $600 on games is no big deal unless your favorite console maker is doing it.

LarknThe4th

I detect no lies but it's mostly the art style because the character models are not has high fidelity besides it's 30 fps and not in 4k. I own and love both platforms and Ghost is my GoTG so any praise it gets is ok by me, it still had a huge downgrade.
I'm am curious about this, and seeing as you have played it I will ask you

Did you feel the same things when playing GOT that you felt when you first saw it when it was revealed?

As in, did it execute its mandate to you(whatever that specifically was to you personally)

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Man, I hate to talk shit about GoT but it can look pretty ugly at times. I saw many times in the distance the grass being gone along with super low res textures. Again, it's the art style, colors, and pretty particles and it runs at half the frames. Talking about it being a gen ahead is totally hyperbolic.

I can admit that Sony had the better showing but how can we disregard free games? You act as if they all looked bad. Both Sony and MS had many games that look boring af or just not my style like Ratchet and Grounded. If I was getting everything Sony showed for that $1 I'd be way more excited as well. It's funny how we say that a $600 console is DOA but saving $600 on games is no big deal unless your favorite console maker is doing it.
i cant say they all looked bad when hardly any showed gameplay.

i judge on gameplay and how it looks not by cgi trailers or pc run reveals

DeaDPo0L84

The game releases this holiday season. How is it not ready to be shown?

Have you only just gotten into video games? Games get release dates and actually released in a state that is nowhere near launch ready all the time. It's the curse of "release now patch later"

Ten_Fold

Microsoft hyped this show like they was gonna show some crazy games that would wow us. Only thing I liked was Halo, I wanted to see more on Fable, show was a 4/10 for me. Very underwhelming.

Mr Moose

i cant say they all looked bad when hardly any showed gameplay.

i judge on gameplay and how it looks not by cgi trailers or pc run reveals
That's the biggest problem with today's show (yesterdays? lol) not enough gameplay and who fucking knows what was shown on PC and not Series X.
They NEEDED to show Series X footage, they literally didn't learn shit from their last showing.

Azurro

Banned
Well, we told people not to expect wonders when everything was cross gen, MS has a really good machine but almost none next gen games. All the VRS, RDNA 2.0 vs 1.0, how their SSD is magically as fast as the PS5's, all of that FUD and they show Harambe in space. :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

ZZZZ

I think the smartest thing Sony did with the PS4 (and they are repeating that again with the PS5) is getting a FROM Software exclusive on your console roughly around the launch window period.
Bloodborne was made by FromSoftware, Bluepoint is making Demon's Souls Remake.

I thought the reveal was great. Games looked good, Halo Infinite looked fun as hell and also looked incredible (it has a few things to work out before launch, and I expect most issues to be ironed out by then) and the fact that every game shown will be playable day one on Xbox Game Pass is a great look into the future of Xbox and their services.

I think both the Sony show and the Xbox show (which were both pretty good even with some big issues) suffered from workflow both from first parties and development partners being slowed down by Covid-19 and also pretty much being forced to spread everything out across multiple events. I think that if the pandemic hadn't happened the marketing would be much better and cleaner from both sides. It is what it is though, and I hope that August's State of Play and Lockhart reveal are better for their respective brands and marketing

Azurro

Banned
Bloodborne was made by FromSoftware, Bluepoint is making Demon's Souls Remake.

Bloodborne was directed by Miyazaki but was codeveloped with Sony Japan Studio actually.

But, I'm happy MS brought Harambe back, I missed those memes. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom