• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass now has over 18 million subscribers

Negotiator101 Negotiator101 Another idiot who gets upset when GamePass and profit are mentioned in the same sentence, and doesn't wonder why Microsoft hides the financials.

Probably paying $1 a month himself 😁.
Why are you so fixated on Xbox profit margins? The meer fact Microsoft has put more money than ever into the division should tell you its a profitable business. Microsoft is absolutely striving under Satya Nadella, he knows that Xbox is an integral part of their cloud network going forward. Microsoft and Xbox have never been in a better position and you my friend need to accept that.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Maybe because some of you exaggerate in numbers. To me it isn't a rapid growth when Gamepass is available on Android. Completely also ignoring the fact the statement from last year that Gamepass isn't money maker

Why they would be jealous?

Yeah I don't understand it either.

Gamepass is shit. Like Netflix there's too much content to pick, which makes you browse more than play.

GP is just as shit as Bethesda now that both things are excluded from PlayStation.
Trollface_non-free.png

Hezekiah

Banned
Why are you so fixated on Xbox profit margins? The meer fact Microsoft has put more money than ever into the division should tell you its a profitable business. Microsoft is absolutely striving under Satya Nadella, he knows that Xbox is an integral part of their cloud network going forward. Microsoft and Xbox have never been in a better position and you my friend need to accept that.
And you have to accept that if Microsoft is going to give out revenue figures for the Xbox division, it makes no sense to not give the profit figures for it.

hey man calm.down before you go around to call idiot other users .....you won my report
English? He did the same so we are even.

And you have to accept that if Microsoft is going to give out revenue figures for the Xbox division, it makes no sense to not give the profit figures for it.
It's irrelevant, the company is making money across the board and they continue to invest in the Xbox brand. If you have no idea how a business is grown then I suggest not posting in these types of threads, have a great day.

Leo9

English? He did the same so we are even.
You clearly are not familiar with financial reporting.
Apple provides revenue figures, but not profits. Does that mean that Ipads, Macs, iPhones aren't profitable?
Come on.
The net profit may be low, but nobody cares really. Microsoft will care about margins in something like 10 years. Netflix is still cash flow negative after how many years? Doesn't matter. Growth matters.

temroi

Neo Member
Apple provides revenue figures, but not profits. Does that mean that Ipads, Macs, iPhones aren't profitable?
Come on.
The net profit may be low, but nobody cares really. Microsoft will care about margins in something like 10 years. Netflix is still cash flow negative after how many years? Doesn't matter. Growth matters.
For years now Microsoft is only giving out percentage changes.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Same as your interpretation. PR is there for a reason.

Surely Capcom, Remedy, SEGA, Square and other big devs won't accept 1 million.

per game per month that's on there, plus games tend to of been out a while fro third parts that go on there so the games not selling as well so revenue that they weren't getting

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Just keep it open man, I like to have a dig at the X yeah but it won't affect anything, right... we just chattin'

There is no lack of anything, let me ask it this way, why are Nintendo or Sony not jumping on that GP wagon? They too dumb to realise the gold mine in front of them?

Only the start of the day here, have a nice one
erm sony have PSnow they already jumped

Papacheeks

Banned
erm sony have PSnow they already jumped

PS NOW was originally for BC on PS3 titles and mainly streaming up until the past year or so. They started putting PS4, PS2 titles on there for local download. But do not put games on there day to date like Microsoft does. Maybe in the future they will revamp it and make it something bigger?

But their main focus is on digital/physical sales and PS+. At some point they are going to announce a "new" service but it will be something that probably does more than games.

Banjo64

cumsessed
PS NOW was originally for BC on PS3 titles and mainly streaming up until the past year or so. They started putting PS4, PS2 titles on there for local download. But do not put games on there day to date like Microsoft does. Maybe in the future they will revamp it and make it something bigger?

But their main focus is on digital/physical sales and PS+. At some point they are going to announce a "new" service but it will be something that probably does more than games.
Hope it can give me a blow job while I play.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

But at the moment it’s their version of gamepassp

Papacheeks

Banned
But at the moment it’s their version of gamepassp

My point is it's not. They may try to make it more attractive, but they are not putting first party, or exclusive third party AAA/indie titles on it on a monthly basis. It's mainly for back catalog and streaming. If it was going to be, they would focus on it way more, they right now are not using it as a pillar for their business like Microsoft is.

Gamepass Ultimate includes online, ps now at the moment does not have a higher tier that includes PC access and PS+. Both game services, but PS NOW is not their answer to gamepass as it has been out much longer and was mainly for back catalog of PS2,PS3 games.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
My point is it's not. They may try to make it more attractive, but they are not putting first party, or exclusive third party AAA/indie titles on it on a monthly basis. It's mainly for back catalog and streaming. If it was going to be, they would focus on it way more, they right now are not using it as a pillar for their business like Microsoft is.

Gamepass Ultimate includes online, ps now at the moment does not have a higher tier that includes PC access and PS+. Both game services, but PS NOW is not their answer to gamepass as it has been out much longer and was mainly for back catalog of PS2,PS3 games.
It is there version of it, it’s a monthly rental service to play games. They just approach it differently

Flutta

Banned
So 18mil 1$ subs. I would assume with a price like that it should be even more subs.
Team Xbox must be bleeding money like Never before.

yurinka

This number doesn't mean anything considering they give you free trials everywhere and that there is the $1 deal. It would be more useful to know who many people pay the full subscription, or how much profits does it generate (I assume that as of now it only generates big loses).

cosmicom

Banned
This number doesn't mean anything considering they give you free trials everywhere and that there is the $1 deal. It would be more useful to know who many people pay the full subscription, or how much profits does it generate (I assume that as of now it only generates big loses).
You are right, Xbox is going to close and phil spencer is going to live under a bridge, the numbers are terrible; 50% increase in benefits in one year? who can survive with that

This is the most profitable year for Xbox in it´s history, terrible numbers, xboxdoom

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Come on.
Sony and Nintendo report profit, just like they report console sale figures.

Microsoft is the odd one out.

Personally I think the weekly Nintendo Japan threads are bonkers with the constant salivating over how well they're doing, but some in this thread are championing GamePass as a huge financial success aswell. I don't think that's the case at all right now, so it's a fair question to ask.

Last edited:

Mixer also inflated in numbers and was being reported to be growing before it was closed down for good by Microsoft. These numbers mean nothing without context.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Online services performing well is what is supposed to happen with Xbox this isn’t Nintendo online or PSN.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
What are you saying here?

ok will give an example of what I mean

lets take doom eternal for example, games been out a while and has sold most of what it will sell in its lifetime

so ID will have reaped the rewards of their hardwork and now with it being on games pass and getting a mill a month for it its extra revenue for that game they would of got.

just an example how it could work

VAL0R

Banned
I think it's very possible for Xbox Game Pass to have 30 million subs by 01/01/2022, and 50 million by 2025. If GP gets to 50 million subs at $15/month, that's $9,000,000,000 a year in revenue. I don't think 100 million subs is unimaginable by 2030 as they expand GP to all devices (including smart TVs) and gobble up more and more huge IP and content making the deal irresistible to gamers, including casuals. XBL has 100 million users currently, many of whom will be converted. For reference, Netflix has ~200 million subs.

I suspect the GP sub numbers to explode in late 2021 and 2022/2023 as MS' many recent acquisitions (and future ones) start churning out an endless stream of AA and AAA content. Soon no publisher will be able to match the quantity of their output.

MonarchJT

Banned
you are right!!! it mean nothing ! they should sell the division next?
call the police

ok will give an example of what I mean

lets take doom eternal for example, games been out a while and has sold most of what it will sell in its lifetime

so ID will have reaped the rewards of their hardwork and now with it being on games pass and getting a mill a month for it its extra revenue for that game they would of got.

just an example how it could work
Yeah, sure. But bigger publisher/devs wouldn't accept a 1 million

DJTHEGREY

Good to see Gamepass is doing well! Hopefully all that promotion especially the $1 conversions will pay off in the long run if it's not already. Would love to see PSNow do just as well if not better. Competition is good for gamers.

All this talk if "yeah but are they actual gamepass subscribers cus x, y, z...."

I'm wondering do they join other forums and passionately talk about Spotify, disney+, Netflix, and say "yeah but there was 3 months deal, lol fail".... Spotify has 6 months deals on all the time. Disney has a few months free with xbox gamepass and Netflix do deals with mobile phone networks. Are all those failures

pr0cs

Any comparison between Netflix and Gamepass is just plain dumb. Cost of production, time to produce, time spent in content and a myriad of other factors suggest they are the same only in the name of "content subscription"

yurinka

tenor.gif

These posts are pathetic and laugh inducing at the same time.
I suggest you to politely reply people providing data or facts to back your reasoning or opinion instead of just insulting people. It will help you to stay longer in forums without getting banned.

you are right!!! it mean nothing ! they should sell the division next?
call the police
Microsoft stakeholders wanted to get rid of the division at least a few years ago, not me.

Recently they decided to diversify their gaming division moving away their focus from Xbox to increase their potential market by diversifying in term of platforms, made bold acquisitions to increase their in-house games and studios value and focused on the subscription after seeing they are way behind the direct competition when selling consoles or games.

I think are good ideas, but if they want to sell it (I wouldn't do it) it would be better to wait until Mojang, Zenimax, etc. release some new big selling games under the MS brand and once they manage to turn Game Pass (including xCloud) into a profitable, scalable business once they grow a lot the amount of full subscriptions and review their game services (Gold+Game Pass+xCloud) business model, specially if they ever manage to be market leaders in game download/streaming services or at least achieve a better market share than their main competition (PS Plus+PS Now). If they wait until that, the value would be way higher. But in any case, I wouldn't sell and I think that for many reasons they won't sell.

Mixer also inflated in numbers and was being reported to be growing before it was closed down for good by Microsoft. These numbers mean nothing without context.
Yes, this is why I asked for the meaningful GamePass KPIs, a more important and complete data to analyze it. It isn't the same to say your service has a lot of users than to say that it has a lot of full paid subscriptions or profits.

It's like with the consoles or games, instead of saying they sold a certain amount of consoles or games they mentioned MAUs. It's a PR spin trying to focus into a KPI that sounds good but isn't a good indicator of the performance of the product or service, while not announcing the other more important KPI because they don't look that good specially when compared to their direct competition. As any other company, in terms of PR they filter the information they provide, showing only the one that sounds great and makes them looks good.

Last edited:

K' Dash

Gold Member
I suggest you to politely reply people providing data or facts to back your reasoning or opinion instead of just insulting people. It will help you to stay longer in forums without getting banned.

I wasn't insulting you, if facts make you feel insulted, that's your problem, not mine.

Your concern troll post is laughable, stupid, pathetic and devoid of any reasoning or believable data.

I'm not the one claiming MS is going bankrupt, you should be the one providing numbers (that nobody but MS has) to prove your claim.

yurinka

I wasn't insulting you, if facts make you feel insulted, that's your problem, not mine.

Your concern troll post is laughable, stupid, pathetic and devoid of any reasoning or believable data.

I'm not the one claiming MS is going bankrupt, you should be the one providing numbers (that nobody but MS has) to prove your claim.
Again, you only provide insults and personal attacks instead of providing proper reasoning. And now seems you don't read properly.

I didn't claim MS is going bakrupt either, in fact what I was highlighting was that we can't properly analyze how GamePass is really performing because they don't release the KPIs we'd need to properly do it, in the same way they don't provide the units sold KPI for the console, etc.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Gamepass triggering the Sony faithful on here.

Congrats to MS. Impressive numbers. Imagine 1-2 years from now w/ all the exclusives (Bethesda included).

Now if Sony could actually make PSNOW worthwhile, they just might grab more than 2.2 million users on an install base of 110+ million.

Then again, It's only been 6 years to reach 2 million, what's another 6 to reach 4 million? 🤷‍♂️

A quick look at his post history is all you need to know.

I don't see many of them lasting here much longer at the rate they're going. When you got a 45+ page thread of a Hitman comparison still going on, you know it's bad.

FrankWza

When looking at the big picture. You simply don't become as rich and as successful as Microsoft by fudging and padding numbers during earnings calls/releases. You say MS is "leaving themselves open to those doubting how legitimate they are". Out of all the millions and millions of companies in the US. Only 2 lone companies have a AAA credit rating. 2. And Microsoft is one of them. Neither Apple, Amazon, Alphabet, Facebook, or literally any other tech company has such a rating. AAA means that Microsoft's credit rating and debt profile is greater than the United States as a whole. The world's largest economy is more likely to default entirely than Microsoft.

Let that sink in for a minute, and then think about your statement in context to that...

You fought hard, you tried your best, and you should be commended for your efforts, but this war is over. Unfortunately I regret to inform you that your argument has been KIA. Despite your brave actions, and valiant efforts, the facts were simply too overwhelming a force to stem the tide. May gaming have mercy on it's soul.
You wasted all this time writing out this post and used quotes and still got everything I said wrong. What does any of this have to do with what I said? Doubting them is skepticism. It has nothing to do with doing something illegal. They’re not lying, theyre just leaving out the truth. 18 million subs. How many are $1 loophole or $1 3 months subs? How many gold subs currently? There’s a lot of comments in this thread that say they’re currently subbed at $1($5 a month ultimate) but I don’t see many saying”I’m paying $15 a month or $10 on PC and I’m happyyyyyy”

Top Bottom