• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Studios Head Says 'Decision Has Not Been Made' on Outer Worlds 2 PlayStation Release

Draugoth

Gold Member

39e27c63-26d7-410a-9217-6bfe04010959.jpg

Xbox Game Studios head Matt Booty says Microsoft hasn't made a decision on a PlayStation release for The Outer Worlds 2.

During his cross examination for today's trial between Microsoft/Activision Blizzard and the Federal Trade Commission, Booty was asked a series of questions about PlayStation releases for Bethesda games following Microsoft's acquisition of ZeniMax. An FTC lawyer asked about the already-released PlayStation versions of games like Deathloop, Ghostwire: Tokyo, and The Outer Worlds, as Booty clarified that Bethesda already had commitments to release those games on PlayStation prior to the acquisition.

But when asked if Obsidian's upcoming Outer Worlds 2 would be an Xbox exclusive now that those commitments are over, Booty said a "decision has not been made" one way or the other. The Xbox Game Studios head went on to say that Microsoft tends to commit to communities on other platforms that already exist for franchises. Meaning, since the original The Outer Worlds launched on PlayStation, it's possible Xbox may keep that franchise around on Sony's console.

graywolf323

But when asked if Obsidian's upcoming Outer Worlds 2 would be an Xbox exclusive now that those commitments are over, Booty said a "decision has not been made" one way or the other. The Xbox Game Studios head went on to say that Microsoft tends to commit to communities on other platforms that already exist for franchises. Meaning, since the original The Outer Worlds launched on PlayStation, it's possible Xbox may keep that franchise around on Sony's console.
what complete BS, for example Elder Scrolls VI

Last edited:

Banned
They own the IP and it's from obsidian. Why are they asking that question?

yeah kinda weird... Obsidian was a singular studio and not a big acquisition at all.

but I also think that makes it weird that Microsoft didn't just say "yeah it's exclusive" in that case and told them how weird of a subject it is to bring up

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Actually, no work has been done on Outer Worlds 2 except for the title. I heard (don't remember if it was Jeff Grub or anyoneelse) that there was a communication issue as Microsoft wanted an Avowed and Obsidian thought they needed one for Outer Worlds 2. For all we know this game may have been silently cancelled as they work on the next Fallout. Hence, they can call it multiplat(since the project probably does not exist).

Also, why is anything from Obsidian being exclusive or multiplat an issue?

Last edited:

Puscifer

what complete BS, for example Elder Scrolls VI
I'm seriously doubting this. Starfield was the only real *MAYBE* and that was if it only finished before or damn near before the acquisition. Starfield will have to bomb horribly in every single metric from Sales to Gamepass engagement for them to consider this.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Lol, I feel like Outer Worlds 2 is being treated like the off-brand third party N64 (guest) controller you give your friend when playing 1v1 Goldeneye.

1j3Uu3myGNhmmmoqRBiEij42qxA2VPzSAB8qfCEhIws.jpg

Xbox owners get Starfield, Sony owners get Outer Worlds.

Last edited:

RickMasters

hopium can be good marketing too....... maybe he does this on purpose after all.....dont get your hope up....dont follow that carrot, lil donkey! :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
People are mad that a developer Microsoft own is making games only available to their own ecosystem?
I think they are more mad that Microsoft has been less than forthcoming about plans with their exclusive plans.

Like I said before, if I spend that kinda money on a company, I'll honor what was prior to the acquisition, but I'd likely make most games exclusive after that.

I would expect any other competitor to do the same. Sony can mention that buying Bungie resulted in them developing Marathon, which will still be multiplat. However, on the other hand, Sony has bought other devs and made their upcoming games exclusive. Difference is, Spiderman (for example) was not previously in development for Xbox far as I know.

Nobody has problems with Rare or 343 or Gears, Forza and the like, mainly because these were in house studios from the get go. People could probably complain about Ninja Theory and Hellblade 2, but I'm not sure the game was in development at all prior to acquisition. The Outer Worlds would have a following on Playstation though, and so making it exclusive kinda stands against what Microsoft has been arguing all along. Matt Booty says it hasn't been decided, but it's been said that they presented it as a Console Exclusive in 2021. I don't remember myself but I trust folks here aren't just straight up lying.

I mean, we'll see.

FlyyGOD

I think they are more mad that Microsoft has been less than forthcoming about plans with their exclusive plans.

Like I said before, if I spend that kinda money on a company, I'll honor what was prior to the acquisition, but I'd likely make most games exclusive after that.

I would expect any other competitor to do the same. Sony can mention that buying Bungie resulted in them developing Marathon, which will still be multiplat. However, on the other hand, Sony has bought other devs and made their upcoming games exclusive. Difference is, Spiderman (for example) was not previously in development for Xbox far as I know.

Nobody has problems with Rare or 343 or Gears, Forza and the like, mainly because these were in house studios from the get go. People could probably complain about Ninja Theory and Hellblade 2, but I'm not sure the game was in development at all prior to acquisition. The Outer Worlds would have a following on Playstation though, and so making it exclusive kinda stands against what Microsoft has been arguing all along. Matt Booty says it hasn't been decided, but it's been said that they presented it as a Console Exclusive in 2021. I don't remember myself but I trust folks here aren't just straight up lying.

I mean, we'll see.
Playstation owners feel entitled to games another company owns is what I'm seeing. Microsoft owns them and can do whatever they want.

Top Bottom