• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox had ‘no interference’ with Hi-Fi Rush development, says director John Johanas

That's cuz Microsoft probably know they need to butt out if they want any games released.

That's literally is what caused the delays for several of their games including Halo Infinite.

I’m convinced it took them a long time because they didn’t want to seem hasty in their decision to sack a female studio head. They had puff pieces written about a female taking the reins of the Halo IP.

It is curious, given that many of the general staff later laid-off were also female, and iirc involved much of the staff shown in that one photo 343i put out to show diversity.

But, they also had brought in Joe and kept Bonnie for Infinite after they delayed after that bad reveal, and then got rid of both of them as soon as they promoted that one guy to replace Bonnie without an overseer.

Lot of interesting moves at Microsoft, it's a mystery.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
They did that, tenfold. Sea of thieves is way more successful than any platformer they could have put together since MS bought them.
SoT is an absolute success, but they didn't do much of anything with them for years after purchase.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
We already had this thread I'm pretty sure.

And obviously they would have released on PS5 if MS hadn't acquired them. But it is as it is.

Topher

Gold Member
2023 is the first year MS is finally reaping the benefits of acquiring Bethesda. Took about 2 years but we're finally getting 3 (big) exclusive Bethesda releases in the same calendar year.

Hell of a start and less than three month until Redfall.

No Problem Thumbs Up GIF

Dane

There's cases like this where no interference is a good thing. It encourages creative freedom and unique opportunities.

Then there's cases like 343i where they really should have had a firmer hand and reigned them in.
I think the core reason its because... none of the leadership are active developers like Nintendo does (part of the C-Suits are developers), I vaguely remember one interview with ex Rare employee saying that Nintendo really had a helping hand while Microsoft during the OG Xbox and 360 just says "ok, keep going". The fact that Halo Infinite sounds like the worst you could have with good money, they probably won't be chaging that because you still get a 7-8/10. Most executive handling in big game corps are known for building disasters, EA is a prime example.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
- Microsoft stays hands off on bad game -Neogaf- "Why didn't Microsoft step in, they're clearly incompetent at running studios"
- Microsoft stays hands off on good game - Neogaf- "Thank god Microsoft didn't try and interfere, they're clearly incompetent at running studios"

My thoughts exactly. Thank you. That's why I said it's a dammed if you do and dammed if you don't situation for them here.

j.k.2021

Banned
I love Halo Infinite but 343 definitely needed management and interference.Their 2020 Halo Infinite trailer resulted in craig and ruined entire Xbox press conference.Sea of thieves was a big success but they should have inquired Rare before given them millions for Everwild etc.The Initiative didn't work out after all the hype.

Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned
Self managed studios Xbox acquired in 2018, 2019 and Bethesda will be fine though.They just need Microsoft resources.

Last edited:
This is one of the primary reasons I feel that Microsoft should work more with international developers if possible to create games for them. What are the chances probably the most fun, praised, original, critically acclaimed game in recent memory came from Tangoworks studios?

Corndog

Banned
I think that's more of a problem than anything, this hands-off approach. Not saying that should have total control, but I think that central authority should be there. Even just for some low-level power trippy manager.

I think Sony where there is a lot of creativity, but still have their "central authority" is the best approach.
You just need good management. You don’t need to micromanage people who know what they are doing.

oldergamer

Absolutely not, here we are praising MS for not making the game ugly unplayable shit like it happened to many of their games , including once super popular blockbuster franchise called Halo.
So in other words it their fault when they don't get involved, and its not their fault when they don't get involved. In both cases they didn't get involved, what other conditions are you praising them on?

The post you replied to was fairly accurate.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I think that's more of a problem than anything, this hands-off approach. Not saying that should have total control, but I think that central authority should be there. Even just for some low-level power trippy manager.

I think Sony where there is a lot of creativity, but still have their "central authority" is the best approach.
I think that approach is very dangerous for American companies. There is a lot of influence in the American media and games industry where they are always trying to pander to a small group of people who are very loud about their beliefs and are trying to bring that into video games. I think this hands-off approach will allow creative freedom but will also allow MS to walk away if later down the track the studios are not the best fit.

Sony is also at risk when it comes to pandering to some groups that don't necessarily align with what most gamers are like. See - Goodbye Volcano High.

Generally for creative type endeavours, indie/start ups/new IPs I prefer the management and finance to be hands off with the talent. Well done MS. It's been amazing to see Xbox @ ID, Gamepass and stories like this one out of MS acquisitions.

In terms of more established studios and repeat investments/releases I would like more involvement in the way of vision delivery, Q&A/testing, checks and balances e.g. Halo/343. Bad MS. Bad.

geary

Guys, come on…make up your mind. It is good or bad a hands off approach. Here MS si applauded for this and on Halo thread is criticized. If the game is good is not MS merit, if is bad, is MS guilt… need some consistency here…

Guys, come on…make up your mind. It is good or bad a hands off approach. Here MS si applauded for this and on Halo thread is criticized. If the game is good is not MS merit, if is bad, is MS guilt… need some consistency here…

What's wrong with the investor/publisher/dev support having their finger on the pulse, they would then know if hands off is working or to step in and be more involved. You'd think for one of the world's largest software companies this would be abundantly clear.

For example I know which of my devs/designers can be left alone and produce amazing shit vs the ones I have to hand hold through a project. Same goes for my clients too. It should be a defined answer, just what is needed on a case by case basis or point in time of a project.

Last edited:

geary

What's wrong with the investor/publisher/dev support having their finger on the pulse, they would then know if hands off is working or to step in and be more involved. You'd think for one of the world's largest software companies this would be abundantly clear.

For example I now which of my devs/designers can be left alone and produce amazing shit vs the ones I have to hand hold through a project. Same goes for my clients too. It should be a defined answer, just what is needed on a case by case basis or point in time of a project.
Nothing, but the narrative here is if game good, MS has no merit, if game bad, MS is of guilt. The narrative needs some consistency

That's cuz Microsoft probably know they need to butt out if they want any games released.
I wish it was that easy. Just as many games were saved as was ruined by management interference. For example, the classic PC Xcom game didn't have base building until the management demanded it.

Leaving artists to do their work with no deadlines would often lead to games never releasing like with Valve. There is a fine balance between having a good product and having something actually finished. And not every artist has good ideas. It isn't as easy as deciding to "micromanage everything" or "just throw cash at them for ten years".

Seyken

Well, from most reports it seems that being hands off is the common modus operandi for Microsoft, so the inconsistency from the studios makes sense. Just like most things work related, some people/companies do well while not having a lot of guidance and some others will need that guiding hand to show them the way, dare I say even some pressure.

It falls to Microsoft to understand which studios need what type of approach.

Last edited:
You try very hard but you know yourself that what you typed is false. Not every work is the same and not every worker is copy from another. Both situation can apply at the same company. In my current workplace i have worked with many teams and there were teams that needed the manager just to say hello to them and nothing else because they knew what to do and when to do and team that without a manager they were trainwreck even though they knew their task and how to do they needed someone to coordinate them and there was team that if there was no manager they were slacking off but while the manager was there they were performing. So one company 3 different teams that required 3 different approaches for doing the same task. A good manager knows in which case what way to behave.

Well, from most reports it seems that being hands off is the common modus operandi for Microsoft, so the inconsistency from the studios makes sense. Just like most things work related, some people/companies do well while not having a lot of guidance and some others will need that guiding hand to show them the way, dare I say even some pressure.

It falls to Microsoft to understand which studios need what type of approach.
You sure are on the right place dude? Please take your correct and reasonable thinking away. Stop being smart and turn to idiot....adults in this thread don't understand that one problem can have more that one solution and then they want others to take them seriously.

VN1X

Banned
https://www.ungeek.ph/2023/02/xbox-had-no-interference-with-hi-fi-rush-development-says-director/

Full Ungeek exclusive interview with Q&A with the director here, https://www.ungeek.ph/2023/02/full-...on-the-games-development-and-surprise-reveal/

It looks like Xbox retained their hand-free approach with Zenimax after the acquisition, and they did not interfere with the development of Hi-Fi Rush, other than of course helping give them the tools and focus to release on Xbox and PC.

Sometimes the hand-off approach does work although it's had an iffy track record recently resulting in some mixed releases and delays, but Hi-Fi Rush is an example of the benefits. They were not sure what they were releasing on until the acquisition, but outside of that no micromanaging was done which gave us the game as intended by the developers.
And it shows!

Game came out on time. No delays. Quality product. No layoffs after launch. No custom engine that has been taken out back and shot, etc. Well done Microsoft!

Last edited:
I mean Sony should never have greenlit Days Gone after Last of Us, and Evolution made Driveclub with seemingly no cooperation with Polyphony (and vice versa). Sometimes too hands off is imho not really the greatest approach. With lower budget games like this probably very alright, but games that cost a bit and are potential core pillars, those should be made with corporate wide non redundant goals in mind.
As long as GP and the customers are in a honeymoon phase this will not be relevant soon. But once/if GP doesn't bring the numbers it was set out to do, hands off approach won't last. They will need to demand which games they need on the service and not just nod off budget and deadline extensions if the quality isn't there yet. Too much freedom can lead to Star Citizen scenarios.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
one poor studio, all be it Microsofts biggest studio looking after their biggest franchise and people on here think they dont know how to manage any studios.

Coalition hasn't dissapointed, Turn 10 nail it, same for playground, Rare with SoT....

In fact the only issue they've had is how they handled 343i but it looks like they've finally turned that around.

It's a good game and a unique one that adds variety in a very samey industry.

But. Does Microsoft having no interference with the game and letting the developers crack on as normal after the take-over, really make it a Microsoft game in anyway, shape or form?

If Microsoft kept hands-off (which is good) they can't also claim it as their game, just because they bought the studio, can they?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Even though I think it's a big redundancy, MS was probably wise to keep Bethesda/Zenimax's larger publisher operation. They might even do well to re-org some of their other studios that are struggling under them.

It's not simply a matter of being hands-off, because Bethesda isn't hands off and they aren't just a dev house. But they're a lot more functional when it comes to producing and shipping quality titles right now I think. All the best MS stuff is coming out of Bethesda right now.

Last edited:

geary

You try very hard but you know yourself that what you typed is false. Not every work is the same and not every worker is copy from another. Both situation can apply at the same company. In my current workplace i have worked with many teams and there were teams that needed the manager just to say hello to them and nothing else because they knew what to do and when to do and team that without a manager they were trainwreck even though they knew their task and how to do they needed someone to coordinate them and there was team that if there was no manager they were slacking off but while the manager was there they were performing. So one company 3 different teams that required 3 different approaches for doing the same task. A good manager knows in which case what way to behave.

You also try very hard to explains something that's self-explanatory, but it does not apply to what we were talking about. A relationship between a manager and his team is not the same as a relationship between a parent company and a subsidiary. You cannot micromanage a subsidiary, in a the same way a manager can lead a team.

What I meant by my comment earlier is that if you can associate the fails of a subsidiary to the parent company, you can also associate their success. Is not a one-way road, and that's what's the narrative here on this forum, that MS has all the blame if any of their subsidiary fails in delivery a good product, but has no contribution in if their product is a success.

Top Bottom