• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Handheld Speculation

PolyMan

Banned
So what does that the top part of the clamshell have on the inside other than analog recesses? a top screen? and will the bottom screen be a touch screen? oh wait...

puebla

snatches said:
With all the talk of handheld redesigns and news today, and with recent comments from MS saying they wanted a piece of the iPod pie, along with Peter Moore saying that "we can't just release our version of the iPod", I had a thought:

What if MS released a iPod like device that played Xbox Live Arcade games? You could plug in the portable into the 360 to download or also via the internet through an MS like store with music, video, and games.....you could store the games on the 360 HDD or your PC's....

They could keep costs down as they wouldn't need a physical media ala PSP w/ UMD,
and they could be the first to introduce gaming in a mass market way to an iTunes like model of distribution, a model they essentially have in place already with XBLA.
i agree with everything u said.

web browser + playable media + big hdd + xbla games = success :) but they gotta keep it under $350.

Who says a handheld need to be able to slide into your pocket? I personally don't like even having a GBA-SP in my pocket. I love my PSP and just toss it in a backpack when I'm headed out with it. Never even thing about putting it in a pocket.

PolyMan

Banned
puebla said:
i agree with everything u said.

web browser + playable media + big hdd + xbla games = success :) but they gotta keep it under $350.

Even if they could release it for $200 it still wouldn't be able to compete as a game machine because XBLA games aren't anywhere near as high quality as what you can buy for the other portables. People who want mp3 players have already bought iPods and if you want an all-in-one portable the PSP is the sure bet. On top of that MS is already losing money on all their gaming devices, so to enter the portable market would lead to yet another 1.5 million sold = $293 million in losses prospect for them. It doesn't make any sense, at all.

puebla

PolyMan said:
Even if they could release it for $200 it still wouldn't be able to compete as a game machine because XBLA games aren't anywhere near as high quality as what you can buy for the other portables. People who want mp3 players have already bought iPods and if you want an all-in-one portable the PSP is the sure bet. On top of that MS is already losing money on all their gaming devices, so to enter the portable market would lead to yet another 1.5 million sold = $293 million in losses prospect for them. It doesn't make any sense, at all.
i disagree with u about ur games argument. Geometry Wars, Marble Blast, Street Fighter 2 & a shitload of other xbla games are gonna be fun enough or "high quality" enough for people. look at the DS, the games on xbla are alot more prettier than DS games but DS is still a success.

and if MS came out with a handheld i'm saying the #1 priority should be web browsing & playable media. xbla games would be a bonus. and yeah alot of people already have ipods but if MS can successfully pull off a portable that plays both audio & video with a big hdd it could take on the ipod successfully.

and how big is the PSP's hdd??

snatches

PolyMan said:
Even if they could release it for $200 it still wouldn't be able to compete as a game machine because XBLA games aren't anywhere near as high quality as what you can buy for the other portables. People who want mp3 players have already bought iPods and if you want an all-in-one portable the PSP is the sure bet.

OK, enough. Your DS comparison above is silly. It would be an SP style clamshell, wider, of course, to accomodate a 16:9 screen.

Second, have you played any XBLA games? They fucking rule. Not to mention they are better and in most cases much more engaging than anything on PSP and DS. see-> Geometry Wars. Case closed.

That's funny you say the mp3 player market is dying. Somebody tell Steve Jobs, k?
I consider myself a bit of a technophile and I still don't have an mp3 player. The PSP is a very troublesome and cumbersome mp3 and media playback device. The video naming logic is ridiculous, the limitations of the mp4 format sucks, and the memory is shitty and expensive. Hardly a sure bet.

snatches

puebla said:
and if MS came out with a handheld i'm saying the #1 priority should be web browsing & playable media. xbla games would be a bonus. and yeah alot of people already have ipods but if MS can successfully pull off a portable that plays both audio & video with a big hdd it could take on the ipod successfully.

and how big is the PSP's hdd??

Thanks for reading the whole thread and getting what I'm talking about.

puebla FTW.

Use games as the value add with leverage. Make XBLA even more attractive for publishers, cut out the messy retail middleman for games software. It's a portable media device that exploits your advantage (games) over the competition (apple) and moves your agenda forward (own the living room, media center, XB and XBL.

puebla

snatches said:
Thanks for reading the whole thread and getting what I'm talking about.

puebla FTW.

Use games as the value add with leverage. Make XBLA even more attractive for publishers, cut out the messy retail middleman for games software. It's a portable media device that exploits your advantage (games) over the competition (apple) and moves your agenda forward (own the living room, media center, XB and XBL.
yeah, we def. agree.

if i was MS with all the money they have, i would def. be working on this. they'd be stupid not to.

snatches

puebla said:
yeah, we def. agree.

if i was MS with all the money they have, i would def. be working on this. they'd be stupid not to.

Yah I should stop begging for a job as they probably have a fu*king 80 man team working on this.

GhostSeed

PolyMan said:
whats unintuitive is analog sticks jutting out of something thats supposed to fit in your pocket.

That's a fair point but in terms of control there's not much more that can be done on the handheld front. Until the screen isn't tied to the controller ala: goggles or something all is there left to do is add a second analog stick and a couple extra shoulder buttons. And after this point were back to where we are now in terms of home systems.

Top Bottom