• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox has a 2 day embargo for multiplatform announcements

Calverz

salt salting GIF

The most annoying thing about you unorganized rats is the sheer hypocrisy and goalpost moving. Diablo 3 is a perfect example, due to Diablo 4 being shown at this conference. It took well over a month (I remember it "announced" for Xbox closer to launch, actually) where devs could not say if there would be an Xbox version and there was zero mention of Xbox. Diablo 3 was a huge fucking deal at the time, too. All due to an "unprecedented partnership between Sony and Acti."

But Diablo doesn't count because it's "old shit?"

screenshot-2014-09-05-at-12-35-10.png

Anyone want to dig up the 25 page thread here where Microsoft got ROASTED for trying to tell Xbox players that Destiny was coming out for Xbox, too? Sony actually paid money to keep the next biggest FPS in gaming "fRoM the CrEaToRs Of HaLo" obfuscated to the entire world for as long as possible. Nobody knew if Xbox was getting Destiny, and Bungie ignored questions from the press. Finally, Microsoft had to come up with this (stupid, albeit clever) marketing that did not break Sony's exclusivity contract just to shoe the world Destiny was also coming to Xbox.

And they got spitfire roasted about it, here on this very site. Called "desperate" and "scummy" for finding a way to go around Sony's bullshit. Is that also old shit?

Let's take it up a notch and skip a ton of examples of this to more recent times. FFXVI was announced as coming to PC from the beginning, it was even in the initial trailer. The PC stuff was never mentioned again, removed from subsequent trailers, and even Wikipedia removed "PC" as a platform for the game. Any time anybody asks about the announced PC version, they're met with obfuscation and told to get a PS5. Sony has a history of doing this with SE+PC ala NieR and FFXRemastered.

But that's old shit too, huh?

Why wasn't Microsoft allowed to mention Deathloop in their conference or their upcoming games picture, despite it clearly coming to Xbox in 2022 and being a game they own? Why weren't Xbox gamers allowed to pre-order Calisto Protocol and it didn't show up on their store, meanwhile you could pre-order the PS version? Guess that's old shit too, huh? Or it doesn't count because reasons? "Bu-but Sony moneyhatted Deathloop timed exclusivity, so that one doesn't count!!!11" Say that again, but slowly.

See above; the fact that so many people are pretending Sony doesn't do this is hilarious. It's one thing to call MS out about something perceived that you don't like (even though they actually said "console launch exclusive" all throughout the show which debunks this FUD in the first place, something Sony never does), but it's another to pretend this doesn't happen elsewhere (and more egregiously, at that). Nintendo is probably the only one who doesn't do this shit.
Someone's got a shit memory. Destiny was announced to be on PS4, PS3, and 360. You know why it wasn't announced for Xbox One? Cause MS hadn't revealed the fucking console, yet. Shortly after it's reveal, Bungie announced it would be coming to it, as well. The MS bullshit ad was them crying over Sony having marketing rights. Something they themselves had bought tons of times before for plenty of games, and still did after. And they would have gone lawyer nuts if Sony pulled that same shit. They only knocked exclusives after MS wasn't spending as much on Xbox during the PS4/XBO gen, and they couldn't moneyhat as many. Didn't stop them from just a few months later buying timed exclusivity for a major game franchise, Tomb Raider, that was originally planned to come to PS3/PS4 from the start.

The truth is, MS has always been petty, they will always continue to be petty. Like when they drove the boat advertising Xbox at the PS3 launch party. And bitch and moan when PS gets 3rd party exclusives, while they themselves buy exclusives, as well.

Lognor

Banned
Shady practice and really not worth the possible blow back to meaningless marketing. No one should be doing this.
It's brilliant. Sony doesn't want to have an e3 presentation? Find, a ton of third party devs are clamoring for a spot on the Xbox show. Phil is like oh, you want to be a part of my show? Fine, but you gotta give me 2 days exclusivity on the announcement. And these devs are desperate to reach an audience of millions and with Sony being radio silent it's a no Brainer for them.

If Sony doesn't like ms doing this then maybe they should return to e3. Ms has all the leverage right now.

It's brilliant. Sony doesn't want to have an e3 presentation? Find, a ton of third party devs are clamoring for a spot on the Xbox show. Phil is like oh, you want to be a part of my show? Fine, but you gotta give me 2 days exclusivity on the announcement. And these devs are desperate to reach an audience of millions and with Sony being radio silent it's a no Brainer for them.

If Sony doesn't like ms doing this then maybe they should return to e3. Ms has all the leverage right now.
E3 is dead. It just doesn't know it, yet.

Lognor

Banned
E3 is dead. It just doesn't know it, yet.
Nah some of you have been wishing for that for obvious reasons but it's not dead when most of the biggest publishers are there. Just because Sony isn't there doesn't mean it's dead. It's okay. As a ps fan you just need to wait until God knows when for an update on games.

Nah some of you have been wishing for that for obvious reasons but it's not dead when most of the biggest publishers are there. Just because Sony isn't there doesn't mean it's dead. It's okay. As a ps fan you just need to wait until God knows when for an update on games.
We get them all throughout the year. And you realize there was no E3 this year, right? They're taking a year off to figure out how to stay relevant.

Lognor

Banned
We get them all throughout the year. And you realize there was no E3 this year, right? They're taking a year off to figure out how to stay relevant.
No you don't. Where is that ps showcase? Lol. At least even they were participating in e3 you knew you'd get a big update. Now nothing...

E3 will be relevant again when it is in person. With the timing and with covid they opted to cancel this year and do it in person again next year. And you know Microsoft, Nintendo, take 2, ubisoft, ea, etc will all be there. When the largest publishers are at an event it's laughable to say it isn't relevant. But again, we know why you're saying that. It's okay. You'll hear something soon... maybe

Infamy v1

Someone's got a shit memory. Destiny was announced to be on PS4, PS3, and 360. You know why it wasn't announced for Xbox One? Cause MS hadn't revealed the fucking console, yet. Shortly after it's reveal, Bungie announced it would be coming to it, as well. The MS bullshit ad was them crying over Sony having marketing rights. Something they themselves had bought tons of times before for plenty of games, and still did after. And they would have gone lawyer nuts if Sony pulled that same shit. They only knocked exclusives after MS wasn't spending as much on Xbox during the PS4/XBO gen, and they couldn't moneyhat as many. Didn't stop them from just a few months later buying timed exclusivity for a major game franchise, Tomb Raider, that was originally planned to come to PS3/PS4 from the start.
The truth is, MS has always been petty, they will always continue to be petty. Like when they drove the boat advertising Xbox at the PS3 launch party. And bitch and moan when PS gets 3rd party exclusives, while they themselves buy exclusives, as well.

Pay attention next time before you verbally diarrhea all over the place. Learn to read before posting:

Destiny was announced for Xbox 360 in 2013, but it wasn't until after E3 2014 that things regarding the Xbox version were obfuscated. Hmm, what happened at E3 2014? Even a quick Google search shows people asking questions because of being unable to pre-order the xbox version at both Gamestop and digitally. I can't even tell you how many people came into my store asking if the game was coming out on Xbox, which was exacerbated when Bungie couldn't answer simple Xbox questions, as well as when Sony had a fully exclusive beta and a timed exclusive second one. That's the whole ass reason why MS made the ad in the first place closer to launch, so people, especially casuals, realized they can get it on Xbox. Not to mention around that time Sony ran adverts for the game on TV and then at the end would show the LE Destiny console and "PlayStation Exclusive" except the exclusive part referred to DLC in small print. I'd imagine if MS did this you rats would have a heart attack about how misleading and anti-consumer they are, if your crying about a hypothetical two day embargo for Persona ports is anything to go by.

But, according to you, the advert was made because MS was mad "Bungie divorced them." 😂 cant even hide your animosity if your life depended on it. You gonna tackle the majority of my post? Of course not, we know why.

No shit it was announced in 2013. That's why I wrote what I did. E3 2014 was when shit changed. Revisionist history is the same shit you lot try to do until it's (hopefully) old and forgotten. Just like y'all pretend extending Destiny DLC behind the scenes for an additional year until after the sequel was out is no big deal but cried for years with Xbox's 3 month timed exclusive CoD map packs.

This is why discourse happens the way it does. Rats say (verbatim, lmao) Sony never did this. Or in your case "Sony only did this after MS stopped moneyhatting." When proven wrong with tons of other games over all generations, y'all either cherry-pick the fuck out of the post or ignore it all together. When y'all throw out "bu-but RotTR!!!11" and someone links the Wikipedia article of Sony doing it with the very same franchise against Sega, permantely, back in the PS1 days, another scrawny rat comes crawling out of their hole to say "lol they have to go back to all those years ago *emoji*" only to run away per usual when given examples from this gen.

You can tell how angry and jaded you are towards Microsoft by your "petty" rant, which is hilarious when both companies not only do the same shit, but Sony has done it longer.

And the cycle repeats. Carry on.

Last edited:
Pay attention next time before you verbally diarrhea all over the place. Learn to read before posting:

No shit it was announced in 2013. That's why I wrote what I did. E3 2014 was when shit changed. Revisionist history is the same shit you lot try to do until it's (hopefully) old and forgotten. Just like y'all pretend extending Destiny DLC behind the scenes for an additional year until after the sequel was out is no big deal but cried for years with Xbox's 3 month timed exclusive CoD map packs.

This is why discourse happens the way it does. Rats say (verbally, lmao) Sony never did this. Or in your case "Sony only did this after MS stopped moneyhatting." When proven wrong with tons of other games over all generations, y'all either cherry-pick the fuck out of the post or ignore it all together. When y'all throw out "bu-but RotTR!!!11" and someone links the Wikipedia article of Sony doing it with the very same franchise against Sega, permantely, back in the PS1 days, another scrawny rat comes crawling out of their hole to say "lol they have to go back to all those years ago *emoji*" only to run away per usual when given examples from this gen.

You can tell how angry and jaded you are towards Microsoft by your "petty" rant, which is hilarious when both companies not only do the same shit, but Sony has done it longer.

And the cycle repeats. Carry on.
In other words, you have no answer? You were wrong, just admit it like a big boy. The exact same day the XBO was announced, so was Destiny for it. You chose to make up some BS about how no one knew about it coming to Xbox, so MS had no choice but to cry about not having the marketing rights.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It usually always is, which is why nobody should be complaining when Xbox does it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
It's not even the same.

If this is true, then they have 2-day exclusives just so that they could say they have exclusives launching on Xbox. It's that bad, but it just makes them look very desperate on their end.

No you don't. Where is that ps showcase? Lol. At least even they were participating in e3 you knew you'd get a big update. Now nothing...

E3 will be relevant again when it is in person. With the timing and with covid they opted to cancel this year and do it in person again next year. And you know Microsoft, Nintendo, take 2, ubisoft, ea, etc will all be there. When the largest publishers are at an event it's laughable to say it isn't relevant. But again, we know why you're saying that. It's okay. You'll hear something soon... maybe
You mean a showcase like the SOP that happened just a couple weeks ago? Lol. And there's rumored to be another at the end of June or beginning of July. Like I said, we get tons of updates. E3 is no longer necessary. There's a new thing called the internet.

Infamy v1

In other words, you have no answer? You were wrong, just admit it like a big boy. The exact same day the XBO was announced, so was Destiny for it. You chose to make up some BS about how no one knew about it coming to Xbox, so MS had no choice but to cry about not having the marketing rights.
Cherry-pick away with your weak ass argument. I said before you even crawled up in here that Destiny was announced for Xbox BEFORE Xbox One was announced. Then I have examples of why virtually no casual knew the game was coming to Xbox. Pre-orders must have been so low that MS had to go out of their way to dodge the moneyhat and tell the public that Xbox was getting the game, too. But according to you it was because they were "crying" about Sony having marketing rights. Really telling on your end. Did the rest of my post smack you so hard that you can only desperately attempt to pick at one small part of it?

You mean a showcase like the SOP that happened just a couple weeks ago? Lol. And there's rumored to be another at the end of June or beginning of July. Like I said, we get tons of updates. E3 is no longer necessary. There's a new thing called the internet.

Nah, that's just you being salty for obvious reasons. E3 has always existed in tandem with the internet, lmfao.

Why is there constant posts about people missing the E3 format or the E3 time of year? Guess those people are mistaken because of a nobody on a forum said otherwise.

Lognor

Banned
The most recent sop was their best one yet. Usually they suck. You can tell by how those videos get ratio'ed to hell on YouTube. But this recent one was good. But that's not the norm. It's been close to a year since Sony has had a ps showcase. They're worse than Nintendo! And you never know when they'll do it. At least with e3 you know you'll get a Nintendo direct.

And you're not the one to determine whether e3 is necessary. The largest publishers have deemed it's relevant. The only exception is Sony. So of course you say it's not relevant. You'll have to live with Ms getting those huge third party announcements since Sony won't give those devs a platform in June anymore

The most recent sop was their best one yet. Usually they suck. You can tell by how those videos get ratio'ed to hell on YouTube. But this recent one was good. But that's not the norm. It's been close to a year since Sony has had a ps showcase. They're worse than Nintendo! And you never know when they'll do it. At least with e3 you know you'll get a Nintendo direct.

And you're not the one to determine whether e3 is necessary. The largest publishers have deemed it's relevant. The only exception is Sony. So of course you say it's not relevant. You'll have to live with Ms getting those huge third party announcements since Sony won't give those devs a platform in June anymore

June isn’t the only month in the year. Plus Sony already had a SOP this month for 3rd party events.

Lognor

Banned
June isn’t the only month in the year. Plus Sony already had a SOP this month for 3rd party events.
I said as much. But devs have always planned around e3. Sony dropping out leaves that door open for MS. So I'm not surprised they implement something like a 2 day exclusivity window on announcements. They have a lot of leverage here.

I said as much. But devs have always planned around e3. Sony dropping out leaves that door open for MS. So I'm not surprised they implement something like a 2 day exclusivity window on announcements. They have a lot of leverage here.

And so does Sony whether you like it or not. Also Sony didn’t abandon the industry or anything they still have their event for their 1st parties and 3rd party devs.

Lognor

Banned
And so does Sony whether you like it or not. Also Sony didn’t abandon the industry or anything they still have their event for their 1st parties and 3rd party devs.
When is that first party event again? People use to complain about the lack of news out of Nintendo. Sony took it to the next level.

When is that first party event again? People use to complain about the lack of news out of Nintendo. Sony took it to the next level.

And now your providing evidence that Sony won’t have one? They still produce games and will have events to showcase first party titles.

If your forcing me to believe they won’t do that your pretty much not going to succeed.

But sure keep praying they won’t have anything in the future I’m sure your going to be wrong on that.

Lognor

Banned
And now your providing evidence that Sony won’t have one? They still produce games and will have events to showcase first party titles.

If your forcing me to believe they won’t do that your pretty much not going to succeed.

But sure keep praying they won’t have anything in the future I’m sure your going to be wrong on that.
They're not having a regular event in June like ms and Nintendo typically do. And a lot of devs plan around e3. Especially with it being canceled this year ms had a ton of leverage. Sony might want to rethink their strategy.

They're not having a regular event in June like ms and Nintendo typically do. And a lot of devs plan around e3. Especially with it being canceled this year ms had a ton of leverage. Sony might want to rethink their strategy.

Well your avoiding accepting that Sony will have more events in the future. Maybe you need to rethink what you said.

Also you trust Tom right?

Top Bottom