• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox has a 2 day embargo for multiplatform announcements

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You are overreacting to mild criticism. I called it "petty". That's hardly the language I would use if this really angered me. The fact that timed exclusives exist doesn't make this any less petty. Somehow this criticism is an indication of the world going crazy? That's some thick hyperbole, dude.

Oh I completely agree that it could be seen as petty, I think the amount of hot takes I've seen over the last few days may have tarnished my view on how people are actually seeing this.

Yes. It's deffo petty but I can understand it if they did do it with having the two events and wanting to maximise their messaging over those few days.

No probs, but I do stand by saying that if we are OK with multiple year money hats but draw the line or can't understand a 48 hour marketing message then that's crazy imo.

Remember Microsoft are paying to have p5r on gamepass....it does have a deal lined up with Atlus.

Last edited:

Infamy v1

That's the most anti-consummer shit I have ever seen. They don't have anything for 2022 so they want you to think all the games are coming to Xbox only.

We knew right away after the SOP that the games were multiplatforms. Xbox fans made sure we wouldn't forget it.

Imagine the outrage if Sony did this recently 😳

Lol I knew you organized parrots were going to bring that old shit from last decade here. A game from 2012.

Y’all repeat each other 🤣

No they didn't, it was announced multiplatform as soon as the SOP ended.

Not during the show obviously (Duh) but Capcom made it clear it was multiplatform. You couldn't miss it anyway because all the Xbox fans were talking about it everywhere.

And they didn't do it with Callisto so that GIF was useless. Don't believe Lognor ever. A troll.

The most annoying thing about you unorganized rats is the sheer hypocrisy and goalpost moving. Diablo 3 is a perfect example, due to Diablo 4 being shown at this conference. It took well over a month (I remember it "announced" for Xbox closer to launch, actually) where devs could not say if there would be an Xbox version and there was zero mention of Xbox. Diablo 3 was a huge fucking deal at the time, too. All due to an "unprecedented partnership between Sony and Acti."

But Diablo doesn't count because it's "old shit?"

screenshot-2014-09-05-at-12-35-10.png

Anyone want to dig up the 25 page thread here where Microsoft got ROASTED for trying to tell Xbox players that Destiny was coming out for Xbox, too? Sony actually paid money to keep the next biggest FPS in gaming "fRoM the CrEaToRs Of HaLo" obfuscated to the entire world for as long as possible. Nobody knew if Xbox was getting Destiny, and Bungie ignored questions from the press. Finally, Microsoft had to come up with this (stupid, albeit clever) marketing that did not break Sony's exclusivity contract just to shoe the world Destiny was also coming to Xbox.

And they got spitfire roasted about it, here on this very site. Called "desperate" and "scummy" for finding a way to go around Sony's bullshit. Is that also old shit?

Let's take it up a notch and skip a ton of examples of this to more recent times. FFXVI was announced as coming to PC from the beginning, it was even in the initial trailer. The PC stuff was never mentioned again, removed from subsequent trailers, and even Wikipedia removed "PC" as a platform for the game. Any time anybody asks about the announced PC version, they're met with obfuscation and told to get a PS5. Sony has a history of doing this with SE+PC ala NieR and FFXRemastered.

But that's old shit too, huh?

Why wasn't Microsoft allowed to mention Deathloop in their conference or their upcoming games picture, despite it clearly coming to Xbox in 2022 and being a game they own? Why weren't Xbox gamers allowed to pre-order Calisto Protocol and it didn't show up on their store, meanwhile you could pre-order the PS version? Guess that's old shit too, huh? Or it doesn't count because reasons? "Bu-but Sony moneyhatted Deathloop timed exclusivity, so that one doesn't count!!!11" Say that again, but slowly.

I remember this tweet minutes after Sony's showcase. I guess Sony didn't moneyhat platform release information back then, at least.

See above; the fact that so many people are pretending Sony doesn't do this is hilarious. It's one thing to call MS out about something perceived that you don't like (even though they actually said "console launch exclusive" all throughout the show which debunks this FUD in the first place, something Sony never does), but it's another to pretend this doesn't happen elsewhere (and more egregiously, at that). Nintendo is probably the only one who doesn't do this shit.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The most annoying thing about you unorganized rats is the sheer hypocrisy and goalpost moving. Diablo 3 is a perfect example, due to Diablo 4 being shown at this conference. It took well over a month (I remember it "announced" for Xbox closer to launch, actually) where devs could not say if there would be an Xbox version and there was zero mention of Xbox. Diablo 3 was a huge fucking deal at the time, too. All due to an "unprecedented partnership between Sony and Acti."

Anyone want to dig up the 25 page thread here where Microsoft got ROASTED for trying to tell Xbox players that Destiny was coming out for Xbox, too? Sony actually paid money to keep the next biggest FPS in gaming "fRoM the CrEaToRs Of HaLo" obfuscated to the entire world for as long as possible. Nobody knew if Xbox was getting Destiny, and Bungie ignored questions from the press. Finally, Microsoft had to come up with this (stupid, albeit clever) marketing that did not break Sony's exclusivity contract just to shoe the world Destiny was also coming to Xbox.

And they got spitfire roasted about it, here on this very site. Called "desperate" and "scummy" for finding a way to go around Sony's bullshit. Is that also old shit?

Let's take it up a notch and skip a ton of examples of this to more recent times. FFXVI was announced as coming to PC from the beginning, it was even in the initial trailer. The PC stuff was never mentioned again, removed from subsequent trailers, and even Wikipedia removed "PC" as a platform for the game. Any time anybody asks about the announced PC version, they're met with obfuscation and told to get a PS5. Sony has a history of doing this with SE+PC ala NieR and FFXRemastered.

Why wasn't Microsoft allowed to mention Deathloop in their conference or their upcoming games picture, despite it clearly coming to Xbox in 2022 and being a game they own? Why weren't Xbox gamers allowed to pre-order Calisto Protocol and it didn't show up on their store, meanwhile you could pre-order the PS version? Guess that's old shit too, huh? Or it doesn't count because reasons? "Bu-but Sony moneyhatted Deathloop timed exclusivity, so that one doesn't count!!!11" Say that again, but slowly.

See above; the fact that so many people are pretending Sony doesn't do this is hilarious. It's one thing to call MS out about something perceived that you don't like (even though they actually said "console launch exclusive" all throughout the show which debunks this FUD in the first place, something Sony never does), but it's another to pretend this doesn't happen elsewhere (and more egregiously, at that). Nintendo is probably the only one who doesn't do this shit.

Fucking fire post, GG

It is literally always one rule for Microsoft...basically shit on them about everything and demand they break. Remember the tomb raider controversy.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

It's petty when they do it too.

How about they both stop being anti-consumer cunts while speaking out of both sides of their used car salesmen ass mouths?

Last edited:

Infamy v1

Sony gets shit on all the time for stupid shit they do. There isn't "one rule" for anyone.

For some things, yeah, but Destiny is an example of the reverse occurring. 25-page MS roasting topic for daring to skirt around Sonys Destiny media-exclusivity because they wanted the Xbox gamers to know they were getting the game, too.

RotTR backlash and vitriol being so massive that MS had to change their entire strategy with gaming and take a break from big AAA timed exclusives meanwhile Sony does this reguarly even up to this year (Ghostwire, KoTOR, Final Fantasy, Forspoken). If you're lucky, you know there is an Xbox version eventually coming, unlike Crash which was hidden for a year and FF7r which had the original box art implicating a 1 year timed console exclusive and then hidden forever (contract secretly extended, etc.).

In the end it is what it is. Capitalism speaks, money talks. Sony has a 7-year headstart over Xbox for gaming mindshare and Xbox didn't get their head outta their asses for a while, so of course things tend to be lopsided. But let's not be hypocrites and/or pretend otherwise.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony gets shit on all the time for stupid shit they do. There isn't "one rule" for anyone.

Well maybe there should be a thread made for the points I Infamy v1 legitamtely raises concerning ff xvi PC and cslisto protocol pre orders, but i guess we just can't be assed. Shit happens.

Last edited:

Infamy v1

Well maybe there should be a thread made for the points I Infamy v1 legitamtely raises concerning ff xvi PC and cslisto protocol pre orders, but i guess we just can't be assed. Shit happens.

I don't see anyone stopping you.

There's no point, we all know how that thread will go. And I only gave a fraction of examples, too. Waste of time here, though.

Last edited:
This required some sort of detective work?
If it didnt say Console Launch Exclusive at the showcase I dont think it would take an astrophysicist to figure out the game was multiplatform?
Console LAUNCH exclusive would mean that the games would release first on the Xbox and later on other platforms.
Thats the normal PR that MS comes up with. Thats only playing with words to look MS has something before others, i can see right trough it but a whole lot of people dont, i can tell you that.

Last edited:

Belthazar

Nintendo is probably the only one who doesn't do this shit.

Lol, read up on their whole Monster Hunter Rise shenanigans. It was a part of the ransomware leak that Nintendo paid Capcom to not announce the PC version for a specified amount of time.

Infamy v1

A bunch of "whatboutisms" do not negate this as a marketing tactic that should be frowned upon by gamers, imo.

1) The majority of the topic are people "outraged" and "concerned" about this "tactic," and they themselves are the ones to bring up Sony in the first place, i.e. the very first post. Then they pretend as if Sony never does this when Sony does it more often and much more egregiously (as has been proven by my post earlier). The "tactic" may be shit all around, but that is besides the point.

2) It's been more than 48 hours. We all know how embargoes work when lifted, unless we want to play stupid again. Where's all the news? What happened? Or *gasp* could it be that Microsoft did not pay actual money for 12-hour (or whatever it was) exclusivity and in fact the press release was to coincide until after their extended show, for what was it, two games? No, no. There was a mass embargo. We'll find out about it any day now. Even though they clearly had "timed console exclusive" said many times duting the conference for games that actually had it. Let's ignore that. In the meantime let's all pretend this isn't normal at all so that we may release our inner-angst against the competition of our preffered plastic box.

The very first post in this thread is "imagine if this was Sony..." with 45 thumbs ups and fire emojis. Several people heavily implied that only MS is doing this. I don't think it qualifies as whataboutism.

Bingo.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
1) The majority of the topic are people "outraged" and "concerned" about this "tactic," and they themselves are the ones to bring up Sony in the first place, i.e. the very first post. Then they pretend as if Sony never does this when Sony does it more often and much more egregiously (as has been proven by my post earlier). The "tactic" may be shit all around, but that is besides the point.

2) It's been more than 48 hours. We all know how embargoes work when lifted, unless we want to play stupid again. Where's all the news? What happened? Or *gasp* could it be that Microsoft did not pay actual money for 12-hour (or whatever it was) exclusivity and in fact the press release was to coincide until after their extended show, for what was it, two games? No, no. There was a mass embargo. We'll find out about it any day now. In the meantime let's all pretend this isn't normal at all so that we may release our inner-angst against the competition of our preffered plastic box.

Bingo.

I'm not concerned with what others are saying. I'm making my own point. If it turns out Microsoft didn't actually pay for this embargo then I'll be relieved. As it is, for me past transgressions of others doesn't make this type of thing ok.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm not concerned with what others are saying. I'm making my own point. If it turns out Microsoft didn't actually pay for this embargo then I'll be relieved. As it is, for me past transgressions of others doesn't make this type of thing ok.

I don't think you "pay" for news embargoes, they're not exclusivity periods.

My thinking is that there was a 2 day embargo because MS had two separate events with a gap of two days, so they probably want to keep the news embargoed in that period.

That's just a guess tho.

Infamy v1

You are correct, it doesn't. Except when we have a majority of the thread where people are hypocritically lambasting this and they themselves bringing Sony into this, and being hilariously proven wrong. It's okay to call out bullshit when you see it.

Last edited:

Vognerful

All right Phil, no more Mr. Nice Guy. That was one hell of a move.

I was told many times that having timed exclusives is way better than buying publisher and locking their content. I guess those same guys can't complain.

Also, cool from you Phil getting Persona on GamePass

PhaseJump

Banned
This is nothing new to any of them.

The problem here as an Xbox customer, is more to do with all of it being leveraged and marketed as if it's a big or worthwhile response to the huge hole in their first party Japanese lineup.

ToadMan

Nobody knew if Xbox was getting Destiny, and Bungie ignored questions from the press. Finally, Microsoft had to come up with this (stupid, albeit clever) marketing that did not break Sony's exclusivity contract just to shoe the world Destiny was also coming to Xbox.

Incorrect.

By the time this "advert" was released, there had already even been an xbox beta for destiny.

Here's an article about the beta - Eurogamer 26 July 2014

And here's the article about the awful smell MS made because Bungie divorced them - Eurogamer 5 September 2014

Anyway, don't let some facts get in the way of your rant - carry on...

ManaByte

Gold Member

Warm Heat Wave GIF by Barstool Sports

Nydius

Anyone want to dig up the 25 page thread here where Microsoft got ROASTED for trying to tell Xbox players that Destiny was coming out for Xbox, too? Sony actually paid money to keep the next biggest FPS in gaming "fRoM the CrEaToRs Of HaLo" obfuscated to the entire world for as long as possible.
That was petty and shitty but let's not pretend that Bungie didn't have a hand in that whole episode.

People seem to forget the level of animosity Bungie harbored toward Microsoft back then. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire Sony exclusivity, keep Xbox in the dark nonsense was Bungie's idea as a way to "stick it" to their former corporate overlords. One thing we've learned about Bungie since they split from Microsoft (and then again from Activision) is that their management can be petty as fuck.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Ice Cube Movie GIF

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Incorrect.

By the time this "advert" was released, there had already even been an xbox beta for destiny.

And here's the article about the awful smell MS made because Bungie divorced them - Eurogamer 5 September 2014

These people don't research anything. I saw that Destiny and Diablo post elsewhere and I knew right away it was gonna come here. They just repeat each other and think they're right. They had to go back to the 360 days to find something 😅

Now look they're all quoting the post like they have a victory 🤣
While you are it, make a thread about Naraka, too.

Still no info about the PS5 version that was announced first 😕 MS moneyhatted it and blocked the release.

ToadMan

That was petty and shitty but let's not pretend that Bungie didn't have a hand in that whole episode.

People seem to forget the level of animosity Bungie harbored toward Microsoft back then. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire Sony exclusivity, keep Xbox in the dark nonsense was Bungie's idea as a way to "stick it" to their former corporate overlords. One thing we've learned about Bungie since they split from Microsoft (and then again from Activision) is that their management can be petty as fuck.

Going off topic a bit but to me, even back at the time - whether it was petty or not - Bungie needed to do this. They were Halo and Halo was Xbox - the only way they could really establish themselves as a 3rd party and platform agnostic, was to totally jump from the xbox ship and pump Destiny hard on PS.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was no monetary exchange with Sony, and Acti/Bungie did this for their own marketing reasons. Otherwise they'd risk making multiplat games that still only sold on one platform. As it was, they became very successful with this strategy so one way or the other it worked out.

But anyway, they'll probably ditch Sony soon enough and we'll see which bed they jump into next. Maybe Nintendo are keen on Destiny 3... :D

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

These people don't research anything. I saw that Destiny and Diablo post elsewhere and I knew right away it was gonna come here. They just repeat each other and think they're right. They had to go back to the 360 days to find something 😅

Still no info about the PS5 version that was announced first 😕 MS moneyhatted it and blocked the release.

gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

Infamy v1

Incorrect.

My "rant" blew both you and the rat it was directed towards backs out, hence you ignoring the vast majority of it and cherry-picking on one thing. You knew what I meant.

Destiny was announced for Xbox 360 in 2013, but it wasn't until after E3 2014 that things regarding the Xbox version were obfuscated. Hmm, what happened at E3 2014? Even a quick Google search shows people asking questions because of being unable to pre-order the xbox version at both Gamestop and digitally. I can't even tell you how many people came into my store asking if the game was coming out on Xbox, which was exacerbated when Bungie couldn't answer simple Xbox questions, as well as when Sony had a fully exclusive beta and a timed exclusive second one. That's the whole ass reason why MS made the ad in the first place closer to launch, so people, especially casuals, realized they can get it on Xbox. Not to mention around that time Sony ran adverts for the game on TV and then at the end would show the LE Destiny console and "PlayStation Exclusive" except the exclusive part referred to DLC in small print. I'd imagine if MS did this you rats would have a heart attack about how misleading and anti-consumer they are, if your crying about a hypothetical two day embargo for Persona ports is anything to go by.

But, according to you, the advert was made because MS was mad "Bungie divorced them." 😂 cant even hide your animosity if your life depended on it. You gonna tackle the majority of my post? Of course not, we know why.

Infamy v1

No wonder you dodge my reply to you and avoid me while only responding to the like-minded. That is why I specifically gave you Xbox 360, One, Series and PC examples, because you're so predictable that I knew you would just harp on the 360. And even still, that's all you do. Shit, I even gave you examples that were a few days old, lmao. You don't even try.

Funny how you talk about people repeating each other when that's all you and your lot do. Ties back to the hypocrisy point mentioned in my post that you avoided like the plague.

And why are you so angry people are "quoting my post like a victory?" Are you going to respond to it? Of course not, we know why. 😉

Jormatar

So the 2 days are over. Where are all the announcements?
Sony at least uploaded the trailers on their YouTube channel today.

And I think it would be quite weird for companies to announce 2 days later on Twitter: "Oh and btw our game will also appear on PlayStation platforms. Bye!".

Microsoft knew what they were doing with this new and silly marketing deal. And apparently they did the same thing with Yakuza. People didn't know for months whether there would be a PS5 version of Yakuza 7.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Repopsting from the Persona thread. Take a look at Shift Up's Project Eve. People are convinced its not coming to Xbox.
The original trailer mentioned Xbox as a platform
recruitment-png.2159

But the new trailer was not even uploaded to Shift Up's own youtube channel. So they have a marketing deal that forbids Shift Up from marketing their own game or talking about platforms. I can go on with these examples. 48 hours is pretty tame when compared with these deals where they pretend its not coming to Xbox right upto release.
Incorrect.
If you were active back than you would remember people were genuinely confused if it would even release on Xbox. Activision made it seem like the game was not coming to Playstation.
These deals were entirely by Activision. Post Year 1 Bungie tried to make the timed exclusive content irrelevant. On Xbox you could conveniently glitch into Echo Chamber and get that timed exclusive dead ghost but Bungie(the studio known to patch all exploits) never patched it. After they parted with Activision, they immediately got rid of all timed exclusive content and even mentioned they wanted to implement cross-save before Destiny 2.

At 13:04

They even made staying multiplatform part of their acquisition deal and there is no sign of any timed exclusive content.

Infamy v1

And when I hit the first error I stop reading.

Sure, Jan.

You know this move is shitty when you have people making essays to say “oh but others do it too”.
it’s shitty when anyone of them do it.

Except as has been stated by many people, the very first post says to imagine if Sony did this, liked by 50 people. Then the following discourse became how MS is petty and pathetic and how, verbatim, Sony never does this. Hence the direction the convo went and eventually my original post.

Funny how you ignore the actual point of contention while still ignoring my original reply to you in the other thread where you claim for a fact that Microsoft moneyhatted the Nintendo moneyhat of Silksong all for it to not appear on PlayStation. It's always the same people. C'mon now.

Swift_Star

Banned
Except as has been stated by many people, the very first post says to imagine if Sony did this, liked by 50 people. Then the following discourse became how MS is petty and pathetic and how, verbatim, Sony never does this. Hence the direction the convo went and eventually my original post.
You had the exact reaction that poster was expecting. Congratulations.

Top Bottom