• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi Rush is coming to Nintendo Switch, says leaker

Astray

Gold Member
You have insider knowledge that hi-fi Rush flopped?
Do you see it on any top seller list? Did Gamepass subs spike when it was dropped? Did Xboxes get higher sales when it dropped?

If the answer to all 3 is "No", then yes, it's likely been a massive flop from a financial POV (miss me with that "players count" bullshit).

Also what does a deal to bring Overwatch to other systems matter here? OW2 just came out less than 2yrs ago (Oct 2022 early access, Aug 2023 official release), so why would anyone really need a deal here?

I will also remind you that COD deals only started getting given out when regulators started cracking the whip, the previous "deal" on offer to Sony was 3yrs only.

Activision and Bethesda getting bought without Xbox consoles reaching any kind of critical mass sales-wise actually accelerates 3P, because right now it's either:

1) Xbox sales rocket upwards (extremely unlikely rn for reasons covered ad nauseum).

2) Microsoft starts a cost-cutting scheme and guts the publishers they bought (because why do you need a full ABK/Bethesda headcount when you're producing at least 1-2 less versions of every game?).

3) Microsoft massively ramps up 3P games to cover the shortfall in revenue.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
XR5nvSM.gif

wolffy66

Do you see it on any top seller list? Did Gamepass subs spike when it was dropped? Did Xboxes get higher sales when it dropped?

If the answer to all 3 is "No", then yes, it's likely been a massive flop from a financial POV (miss me with that "players count" bullshit).

Also what does a deal to bring Overwatch to other systems matter here? OW2 just came out less than 2yrs ago (Oct 2022 early access, Aug 2023 official release), so why would anyone really need a deal here?

I will also remind you that COD deals only started getting given out when regulators started cracking the whip, the previous "deal" on offer to Sony was 3yrs only.

Activision and Bethesda getting bought without Xbox consoles reaching any kind of critical mass sales-wise actually accelerates 3P, because right now it's either:

1) Xbox sales rocket upwards (extremely unlikely rn for reasons covered ad nauseum).

2) Microsoft starts a cost-cutting scheme and guts the publishers they bought (because why do you need a full ABK/Bethesda headcount when you're producing at least 1-2 less versions of every game?).

Game Pass doesn't need games to increase subs necessarily. They need games to sustain membership as well.

Killer8

It's a good fit although given it's UE4 I wonder how it would run. Being not only an action game but also a rhythm game, I imagine it wouldn't fare well if it had to be downgraded to just 30fps.

Wow is this really controversial? More games on more platforms means more players playing more games.

Also Hi Fi Rush makes a whole hell of a lot of sense on switch, I’d happily double dip on that to play on the go (also portable with more control over audio latency is extra tempting)

Woopah

What top seller list would you expect to see it on? We have no idea what numbers the game did.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I've wanted to play this game but waiting for a physical copy. If there isn't one announced by Q3 or 4 2024 I'll buy it digitally.

This year has just begun, but it feels like the end of 2024 already. Fuck time.

It seems like that 2027 time frame is going to be more like 2025.

Ozriel

M$FT
You got proof it didn’t? Didn’t think so. We got proof it did not chart top 10 anywhere. Next thing you’re gonna tell me is Redfall didn’t flop either.

lol. It’s an AA game. Charting top 10 certainly wasn’t a pre-requisite for success. Especially in a GamePass world.

Microsoft said it was a success across all metrics.

Where’s this mythical GamePass subscriber chart you’re referring to?

AA games don't need to smash top seller lists. As I said above, MS says it was 'successful across all metrics'

Talking about ‘revenue shortfall’ when they’re already reporting significant revenue spike projections post purchase? 😂

Not sure why you’re imagining their sales are pegged to console install base when they also sell on Steam at retail.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

This should have ben released first on Switch, it's the perfect game for that audiance and Sega outcasts. I'm not sure if it will sell well enough now so late on Switch.
But perfect game for the console, just get the price right.

Ozriel

M$FT
This should have ben released first on Switch, it's the perfect game for that audiance and Sega outcasts.

Thread has certainly taken a strange turn if you’re saying a Microsoft first party game should have first released on the Switch before Xbox.

I'm not sure if it will sell well enough now so late on Switch.

A late Switch release certainly worked out quite well for Hogwarts Legacy.

Ozzie666

Thread has certainly taken a strange turn if you’re saying a Microsoft first party game should have first released on the Switch before Xbox.

A late Switch release certainly worked out quite well for Hogwarts Legacy.

Other than it was a perfect game for the Switch audience, and if this late release was their intention all along. Obviously if this is a recent change in Microsoft tactics and new direction, then okay.

As for the Hogswarts legacy reference, Hi Fi Rush was on gamepass on xbox and pc, so a lot of people (or some) may have experienced it already. Depends on how many of those Switch audience have gamepass access.

That is my line of thinking, flawed or not, no idea. Not sure what their sales expectations are. But it's a fun game and deserves more sales.

Last edited:
from our dear friends in purpleland:

This leak from December last year is now in the spotlight.

"All of them. I know of several high-profile Bethesda titles whose port work started up a few months ago. I also have some knowledge on ABK in general, and not a single project that was in dev, or that has gotten an initial approval to have an exploratory milestone achieved, has had a single discussion on exclusivity. I also now know of several titles that fall squarely under XGS, titles that have yet to be announced, that now are doing PS/Xbox/Switch 2 development.

The console wars are basically over. The public just doesn't know it yet"

i think the xbox nation is truly in shambles. Let´s wait if this year CoD can save the console from oblivion which is also rumored to be in development alongsie the recently greenlit banjo and the upcoming 90+ Meta Hellblade 2. I mean....what can go wrong?.

#No.More.Excuses.

demigod

"All of them. I know of several high-profile Bethesda titles whose port work started up a few months ago. I also have some knowledge on ABK in general, and not a single project that was in dev, or that has gotten an initial approval to have an exploratory milestone achieved, has had a single discussion on exclusivity. I also now know of several titles that fall squarely under XGS, titles that have yet to be announced, that now are doing PS/Xbox/Switch 2 development.

i think the xbox nation is truly in shambles. Let´s wait if this year CoD can save the console from oblivion which is also rumored to be in development alongsie the recently greenlit banjo and the upcoming 90+ Meta Hellblade 2. I mean....what can go wrong?.

#No.More.Excuses.
Who is it, is it sneakers or stealthgoblin from here?

nick776

Microsoft really should read threads like this, then maybe they would get a clue what is wrong with their reputation. The Series X Fire Sale in December, I worry, is only a harbinger of things to come.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Oh for sure. People are delusional thinking that Xbox is going third party (for some people it is akin religion at this point).

Releasing HF Rush on Switch is an L for sure - optics wise - that could be avoided. But it does not mean that Xbox is becoming third party.
Like Xbox released Ori years ago and nobody died since then (aside PS profit margins). We even reached a point where Schrodinger Xbox is a monopoly while also leaving the console business at the same time.

What's the point of going third party if the games don't sell on Playstation as people only play COD, Fortnite and FIFA there anyway? :messenger_tears_of_joy: And Xbox is already releasing games on PC too.
Ori is a different example though. And we know because of how public it all was.

It was Moon Studios that wanted Ori to be on Nintendo as well as on PlayStation. Microsoft compromised partially and let them port the games to Switch, hoping that would be sufficient to keep the partnership intact. It wasn't, and now they are not working with Microsoft because of exclusivity.

So Ori wasn't ported out of Microsoft's goodness. It was a compromise.

As Dusk Falls and, especially, Hi-Fi Rush are being ported by Microsoft. Who is making the decision is a key part of the equation in this case - especially in the larger context of the potential direction of the Xbox business.

adamsapple

As Dusk Falls and, especially, Hi-Fi Rush are being ported by Microsoft. Who is making the decision is a key part of the equation in this case - especially in the larger context of the potential direction of the Xbox business.

Microsoft didn't publish As Dusk Falls on PS4/5 either.

CXtrj4a.jpg

adamsapple

"What's the actual url for this lol?

Edit: isn't gaf a banned source?"

Wait a moment....do we have someone in the trenches over there?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Microsoft didn't publish As Dusk Falls on PS4/5 either.

CXtrj4a.jpg
When did I say they're being published by Microsoft? I said, "ported" by Microsoft - which is true.

Hi-Fi Rush (if true) shows Microsoft's own willingness to make its first-party exclusive games available on other platforms (with no possibilities of any external pressure).

Last edited:

adamsapple

When did I say they're being published by Microsoft? I said, "ported" by Microsoft - which is true.

I'm not sure how you can say As Dusk Falls is 'ported' by Microsoft either, the developer of the game is not an internal first party studio.

And unlike the Ori ports on Switch, there's no interview or articles or xbox news wire blog posts about As Dusk Falls coming to PS4/5.

#No.More.Excuses.

Who is it, is it sneakers or stealthgoblin from here?
That was quoted from me. Are they posting that on Era or something?

I'm not sure how you can say As Dusk Falls is 'ported' by Microsoft either, the developer of the game is not an internal first party studio.

And unlike the Ori ports on Switch, there's no interview or articles or xbox news wire blog posts about As Dusk Falls coming to PS4/5.

I can assure you - this game would not be launching on PS without Microsoft's explicit approval. They are the full IP owners of As Dusk Falls. And its a part of a larger strategy to expand the reach of their software offerings, something they openly alluded to in December themselves.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Microsoft is literally the owner of As Dusk Falls: https://trademarks.justia.com/902/60/as-dusk-90260175.html - Do you really want people to think that one day Microsoft woke up and saw As Dusk Falls being announced for PS5 and said "ah, shit, that's not cool. Nobody told us!"? 😄

It’s a much better fit for the Nintendo Switch, but I’m wondering is this will lead to more Xbox games going multiplatform if it sells admirably well if this is legitimate. It’s a win for Nintendo if true, but this could lead to more XBOX exclusive games going to different platforms which could give people even less reasons to invest into Microsoft hardware. We’ll see.

Last edited:
It’s a much better fit for the Nintendo Switch, but I’m wondering is this will lead to more Xbox games going multiplatform if it sells admirably well if this is legitimate. It’s a win for Nintendo if true, but this could lead to more XBOX exclusive games going to different platforms which could give people even less reasons to invest into Microsoft hardware. We’ll see.
Its coming to other platforms as well, not just Switch.

They wouldn't be doing this if they hadn't accepted the notion that there are a plethora of markets, and a declining number of users in their stronger markets, that are opting to simply skip their HW altogether. And this isn't the only high-profile port coming to PS and Nintendo. There are games in dev right now whose intended launch platforms are Xbox, Steam, and Nintendo/PS.

T-0800

Oh for sure. People are delusional thinking that Xbox is going third party (for some people it is akin religion at this point).

Releasing HF Rush on Switch is an L for sure - optics wise - that could be avoided. But it does not mean that Xbox is becoming third party.
Like Xbox released Ori years ago and nobody died since then (aside PS profit margins). We even reached a point where Schrodinger Xbox is a monopoly while also leaving the console business at the same time.

What's the point of going third party if the games don't sell on Playstation as people only play COD, Fortnite and FIFA there anyway? :messenger_tears_of_joy: And Xbox is already releasing games on PC too.
Working Jim Carrey GIF

adamsapple

Microsoft is literally the owner of As Dusk Falls: https://trademarks.justia.com/902/60/as-dusk-90260175.html - Do you really want people to think that one day Microsoft woke up and saw As Dusk Falls being announced for PS5 and said "ah, shit, that's not cool. Nobody told us!"? 😄

Sony owns the Death Stranding trademark: https://trademarks.justia.com/871/07/death-87107685.html

And somehow that found its way to Game Pass on PC 🤔 I don't want people to think anything, clearly the case is different. Microsoft itself promoted the Switch ports of Ori, nothing on any of their socials said a single thing about ADF's PS announcement. Not even an Aaron Greenberg tweet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom