• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is locking out Gamepass games from competitor's subscription services

graywolf323

Single game lol you mean actively trying to buy every zenimax next-generation game as an exclusive is not a single game. Sony was overly aggressive on zenimax games and got burned by forcing Microsoft to stop the bleeding of exclusive deals.
so you completely ignored how Pete Hines testified that Zenimax was approaching seeking exclusivity deals and Microsoft even had been involved in bidding on those?

to be honest though given your post history, no you’re just being intellectually dishonest to try to make this all about SonyToo™ and poor $2+ trillion Microsoft is the victim

Topher

Gold Member
Single game lol you mean actively trying to buy every zenimax next-generation game as an exclusive is not a single game. Sony was overly aggressive on zenimax games and got burned by forcing Microsoft to stop the bleeding of exclusive deals.

Not entirely true. Zenimax was the aggressor in trying to get money to make their games exclusives. Pete Hines just said that the other day on the witness stand.

Fabieter

Must be why they also wanted to buy Sega and are actively buying avb. To stop the exclusives. Come on if you are actually believe that reasoning.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Must be why they also wanted to buy Sega and are actively buying avb. To stop the exclusives. Come on if you are actually believe that reasoning.
Did they put a bid in for Sega? Discussing possible business ideas is not making a purchase. If that was the case my work would add 10 new vendors a day if Discussing is the same as purchasing.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
  • Sony may have bought 1-year timed exclusivity of Starfield = Awful. Very bad. ❌
  • Microsoft bought permanent exclusivity of Starfield and all future Zenimax titles = Awesome. Very good. ✅

soulbait

The words being used in these threads are hilarious:

"Phil was crying about Sony buying exclusives"

"Hypocrites because they claimed the other company did the same thing"

"Jim is lying about this or that"

Do you guys ever think beyond silly console wars and think about how actual business deals are made and handled? Phil was not crying about Sony, he was explaining how the competition lands exclusives when they are being accused of buying a company for exclusives. Basically saying, if our competitor is already doing it via this method, then their method of doing should be valid as well. It was not crying/whining or anything like that. It was simply comparing business practices, trying to make their side look more favorable so a deal can be passed.

Of course there will be content exclusive deals when going onto GamePass. I don't doubt Sony is doing the same. This is different than Sony paying companies not to put their games onto GamePass, especially if that deal does not include the game going onto Sony's service or Sony is not helping to publish the game. However, it is still a business deal.

The only crying I see over all of this are uneducated fanboys. The hypocrites I see are the fanboys that make excuses for their "team" while yelling at the other side for doing something similar. And the lying I see are fanboys who are declare they are not fanboys or make dishonest arguments hoping their side looks better than the other.

Fabieter

Of course there will be content exclusive deals when going onto GamePass. I don't doubt Sony is doing the same. This is different than Sony paying companies not to put their games onto GamePass, especially if that deal does not include the game going onto Sony's service or Sony is not helping to publish the game. However, it is still a business deal.

You cant call others hypocrits while typing something like that. I mean you can but you shouldn't.

Topher

Gold Member
The only crying I see over all of this are uneducated fanboys. The hypocrites I see are the fanboys that make excuses for their "team" while yelling at the other side for doing something similar. And the lying I see are fanboys who are declare they are not fanboys or make dishonest arguments hoping their side looks better than the other.

Meta-commentary crying is also crying.

soulbait

You cant call others hypocrits while typing something like that. I mean you can but you shouldn't.

I cannot really see where I am being a hypocrite here. I stated how there was a difference in the deal, however at the same time it is still a business deal. In other words, I can see why some are upset by this, but at the end it is just another type of deal. I tried to explain how I think it would be an unfair deal if certain circumstances were applied, but then stressed it is indeed just a business deal.

So I am recognizing they are both different types of business deals with similar results, and somehow that is hypocritical? I am guessing I should have worded it as "There are some differences with Sony doing..... especially if it is set up in such manner..... but in the end it is still just a business deal with similar results". That is really what I was trying to say. Here I was trying to avoid being called a PS fanboy by not ignoring some of the differences that have been called out on Sony, and now others make up their mind going the other way (at least that is how it seems).

You just cannot win :D

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I cannot really see where I am being a hypocrite here. I stated how there was a difference in the deal, however at the same time it is still a business deal. In other words, I can see why some are upset by this, but at the end it is just another type of deal. I tried to explain how I think it would be an unfair deal if certain circumstances were applied, but then stressed it is indeed just a business deal.

So I am recognizing they are both different types of business deals with similar results, and somehow that is hypocritical? I am guessing I should have worded it as "There are some differences with Sony doing..... especially if it is set up in such manner..... but in the end it is still just a business deal with similar results". That is really what I was trying to say. Here I was trying to avoid being called a PS fanboy by not ignoring some of the differences that have been called out on Sony, and now others make up their mind going the other way (at least that is how it seems).

Because what you said is factually wrong. Sony does not pay studios to block games from Game Pass. There is literally 0 evidence of that.

You used that factually incorrect argument to imply that there is still a difference between how Sony is doing it (bad) and how Microsoft is doing it (relatively good). That sounds like disingenuous argument, especially when you're criticizing others in that same comment.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Two different things going on here, ultimately. Sony's marketing deals for big AAA games do not allow those games to be on Game Pass. That should be entirely uncontroversial because these games were never going to be on a subscription service anytime close to its launch anyway. The reason these marketing deals exist is to maximize sales. Yes, sales still matter. Microsoft is making deals to put games on Game Pass while not allowing the game on other services. There is nothing wrong with that either really. What is hilarious is that Microsoft acts like they are too good to resort to tactics like this and now we know that's not the case at all.

Had to delete the rest of your post as it was just whining Xbox persecution bullshit.

Love you, man. ❤️

I'm not denying anything what you say about what Phil speaks like publicly. I'm just making the point of xbox is trying to follow their business plan of growing gamepass so they are securing content...day one content with the likes of games ranging from wo long to unpacking.

They are absolutely signing deals to get those games on gamepass.

I am under the impression they don't stop those games from being purchasable on other platforms on day one..unless they are an ID at xbox game they've secured.

100% there will be comments until the end of time that Phil and Jim are liers and how hypocritical they are. That will never end.

Fabieter

"Of course there will be content exclusive deals when going onto GamePass. I don't doubt Sony is doing the same. This is different than Sony paying companies not to put their games onto GamePass, especially if that deal does not include the game going onto Sony's service or Sony is not helping to publish the game. However, it is still a business deal."

"Or Sony isnt helping to publish the game." Sony is blocking games for going into gamepass when they have marketing right which makes sense. Ms is blocking game for going into ps plus when they pay for day one games is essentially the same.

Both help the game and devs and dont want the effect to go to the competition which is fine.

Calling the competition out while doing essentially the same is literally hypocritical. No more no less.

Topher

Gold Member
I am under the impression they don't stop those games from being purchasable on other platforms on day one..unless they are an ID at xbox game they've secured.

Xbox has had a ton of timed exclusives. I don't know if they are ID@Xbox or not, but that doesn't matter in slightest. Microsoft makes deals to keep games off of PlayStation just as they make deals to keep games off of PS+.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Xbox has had a ton of timed exclusives. I don't know if they are ID@Xbox or not, but that doesn't matter in slightest. Microsoft makes deals to keep games off of PlayStation just as they make deals to keep games off of PS+.

Yes, we have established they both do it. Sony just recently with final fantasy xvi as well.

👍

This is all common knowledge at this point.

Topher

Gold Member
Yes, we have established they both do it. Sony just recently with final fantasy xvi as well.

👍

This is all common knowledge at this point.

Then your previous post makes even less sense.....

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Then your previous post makes even less sense.....
O Que Pergunta GIF by Porta Dos Fundos

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Did people not assume this already? They do this with movies on streaming services all the time too. This is normal.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Why are you so insecure about the bullshit Phil spews?

Don't project because you buy into his PR trash.

What, Phils comments on accessibility in games for disabled people? Yes I do agree with his comments on that.

How do you say it is common knowledge that timed exclusives exist when you just said "they don't stop those games from being purchasable on other platforms on day one"? That is exactly what a timed exclusive is.

Day one game pass games are available to buy on PlayStation still....unless they are an id at xbox game.

So games like outlanders and wo long can be purchased day one on ps5 if you want to play it there...

The amount a lot of people are bent up at the minute is pretty crazy.

Topher

Gold Member
What, Phils comments on accessibility in games for disabled people? Yes I do agree with his comments on that.

Day one game pass games are available to buy on PlayStation still....unless they are an id at xbox game.

So games like outlanders and wo long can be purchased day one on ps5 if you want to play it there...

The amount a lot of people are bent up at the minute is pretty crazy.

And games like High on Life cannot be purchased on PS. Doesn't matter if it is id@xbox or not. MS is paying to keep it off of PS.

Who is bent up?

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
"Forcing" lol they did not force them. MS is not forced to buy anyone.

ulantan

I was always under the impression that the "when we can all play games we all win" was a comment from Phil about accessibility and disabled players being able to play games.... but it was crazy fan boys that twisted it? maybe I'm completely wrong lolol?

Lupin25

Here I was thinking you put me on ignore because you barely responded when I quoted you. It's just that you pick your battles only when you have a feeling you are in the right. That's pretty lame. Nonetheless I'll respond to you though.

How is this the same? Microsoft buys exclusivity for their subscription service, and puts the game on their subscription service. Sony just pays someone not to put it on a subscription service. It's not like Sony is putting it on PS+, not they just pay someone to not put it on Game Pass.... So that's not common subscription service practice where you buy exclusivity. You don't see me complaining about FF, because that's also a common practice.

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

WTF? Same difference dude, it’s all exclusivity. No way you said this.

This is one of the most hilarious explanations I’ve ever seen. Cheers. 🤣

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Thats funny they had a service first 😆. If it was keeping people from buying games on Playstation they would of not overhauled in the last year and killed it.
They never had a service releasing there 1st party games day. Surely you know that

LastBattle

whose alt are you? 🤨 so it’s fine to buy an entire third party company to block it but how dare a company buy just a single game 🙄 despite the fact the latter has been going on in this industry for decades and is done by all the console makers
Both Microsoft and Sony buy publishers to
Secure exclusives. That’s been the name of
The game since the beginning. I’m not talking about exclusives or buying/paying for the development of an exclusive. What I’m referring to is slipping money under the table to block a third party game from a competitor. Not
Just their subscription service. Indefinitely.

LastBattle

So the double standard of this very thread must kill you, right? Right? ...
So the double standard of this very thread must kill you, right? Right? ...
This isn't about exclusives though. Only about blocking from services. Either way, we see more and more that both sides use the exact same tactics.
I
This isn't about exclusives though. Only about blocking from services. Either way, we see more and more that both sides use the exact same tactics.
I get your point and agree it’s best to stay on topic. Just pointing out that at least the games not available on Sony’s subscription service are still playable on that platform.

RickMasters

Both Microsoft and Sony buy publishers to
Secure exclusives. That’s been the name of
The game since the beginning. I’m not talking about exclusives or buying/paying for the development of an exclusive. What I’m referring to is slipping money under the table to block a third party game from a competitor. Not
Just their subscription service. Indefinitely.
I agree. I get why people complain about it....but at the same time...its what companies do to attract customers to their services. What Really matters is what we as the end consumer are getting out of it..and what is it costing us 💴💶💷? I owe these companies nothing. least of all loyalty. the nature of the relationship betwen a customer and a busines is transactional. I pay...they give, what im paying for. if they want my money make the best deals and offer the best service for my money. between them...they are gonna have to fight and out do, outspend and out-whatever-else, eachother. we benefit from that as consumers.

Topher

Gold Member
I get your point and agree it’s best to stay on topic. Just pointing out that at least the games not available on Sony’s subscription service are still playable on that platform.

The games being blocked from Game Pass are playable on Xbox as well.

Top Bottom