• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Full House Poker Beta

verbum

Anyone else get the invite? Filled out the questionaire yesterday.

Following in the footsteps of the now-cancelled 1 Vs. 100, Microsoft is preparing for a closed beta test for its next Xbox 360 online game show, Full House Poker.

The game will offer regularly scheduled Texas Heat poker game shows that players can join to play against others via Xbox Live, reports Kotaku, based on an email sent to possible participants.

The game will feature Xbox Live Avatars, allowing users to emote with their character and use items acquired or purchased in the Xbox Live Avatar Marketplace.

Players will compete to earn experience points and chips for their bankroll, and will be able to track their progress on the online leaderboards.

The previous Xbox Live game show, 1 Vs. 100, allowed players to earn tangible prizes for winning during scheduled events, though the Microsoft has not revealed whether the same will hold true for Full House Poker.

In 1 Vs. 100, users could win virtual goods including Xbox Live Arcade Games and Microsoft Points if they were randomly selected to play in the live game. Players selected to sit in the audience could participate, but would not be eligible for prizes.

1 Vs. 100 also featured a live host who provided commentary on the game during the scheduled Prime Time events, though Beta invitations for Full House Poker give no indication whether the new show will feature live commentators.

Full House Poker will soon enter closed beta, though Microsoft urges participants to keep information confidential and has not announced a target release date.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/31367/Microsoft_Prepares_Beta_For_Episodic_Game_Show_Full_House_Poker.php

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Live member since the beginning and i never get any of this shit.

Played tons of 1 vs 100. Dont see how Poker could be anywhere near as good.

wwm0nkey

Metalic Sand said:
Yeah it kind of sucks, seems like they go off a random basis. I thought maybe entering my email at E3 for the trophy prop and constantly singing up for every single beta ever would do something...but no I have never gotten anything from MS, except the AoE beta but thats pretty much a open beta at this point.

Persona7

Banned
Metalic Sand said:

Played tons of 1 vs 100. Dont see how Poker could be anywhere near as good.
You linked your gamertag to the microsoft connect website?

moai

don't expect much, 1 vs 100 was open to our country at the beginning, but then was ip blocked.

atomsk

Party Pooper
was in several dashboard betas, and the Kinect beta, but got no email about this.

which is fine because I don't even like poker

I'm just happy they didn't just all out quit on the idea. I loved the 1 vs 100 stuff and this looks ok. More interactive but less unique.

darknemus

Wow I'd love to be in the Beta for this. My girlfriend and I have been known to play 18+ hours at a poker table in some of the local card rooms before. (Needless to say, we enjoy the game :p )

GarthVaderUK said:
Good news, I was hoping they'd do more of this kind of stuff.

Me too, though I'd rather they also just bring back 1 vs. 100. Shit, I'd even pay $5 to bring it back, if it didn't have those fucking commercials shitting everything up.

Boy, I'm sure glad Microsoft decided to replace the dime-a-dozen and forgettable experience of 1 vs. 100 with something unique and impossible to find elsewhere on the internet like TEXAS HOLD'EM POKER

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I was wondering when they'd do this. Poker on Xbox Live with avatars is such a no brainer, it's a guaranteed success, took em long enough to do it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
charlequin said:
Boy, I'm sure glad Microsoft decided to replace the dime-a-dozen and forgettable experience of 1 vs. 100 with something unique and impossible to find elsewhere on the internet like TEXAS HOLD'EM POKER
What's really strange is that 1 vs 100 was just picked up by GSN and has a whole new season in a few weeks here in the US (its been off the air for a while now).

That plus cross promotion during the show would have made a strong season 3 start on Xbox Live. Ugh.

Rad-

Maybe they let more than 2 countries play this time?
Just guessed the country amount but it wasn't much.

To me, this sounds much more interesting than a gameshow. Been playing poker for years, would be nice to win MS points with the experience.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
chubigans said:
What's really strange is that 1 vs 100 was just picked up by GSN and has a whole new season in a few weeks here in the US (its been off the air for a while now).

That plus cross promotion during the show would have made a strong season 3 start on Xbox Live. Ugh.

Also i could finish my last 25g Acheivement :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
chubigans said:

did anyone ever really figure out why it ended? it seemed completely successful at least in its execution. seemed just like a strategic shift that made no sense given their direction then and to this day

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's probably not legal but it would be pretty sweet if your could wager microsoft points on matches

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AstroLad said:
did anyone ever really figure out why it ended? it seemed completely successful at least in its execution. seemed just like a strategic shift that made no sense given their direction then and to this day

Initiatives Microsoft started to bring in the casual audience, circa 2008:
- 1 vs 100; Canceled
- The Rest of the Primetime channel; never materialized
- Scene It; franchise lost to WB, now multiplatform garbage
- Releasing full value games at budget prices; They both bombed, Rare hasn't made anything since
- Joy Ride; transformed into apparently poor full-ish price Kinect game

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Stumpokapow said:
Initiatives Microsoft started to bring in the casual audience, circa 2008:
- 1 vs 100; Canceled
- The Rest of the Primetime channel; never materialized
- Scene It; franchise lost to WB, now multiplatform garbage
- Releasing full value games at budget prices; They both bombed, Rare hasn't made anything since
- Joy Ride; transformed into apparently poor full-ish price Kinect game
Don't forget the walking zombie that is Game Room. :(

All of this sure does bode well for Kinect! :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I really liked that Primetime idea. I wonder if it was mostly conceived as a way to attract and retain Gold subscribers but they figured out soon thereafter that they'd have a critical mass of suckers regardless of Primetime.

JesseZao

The arcade game Texas Hold'em Poker was extremely popular, partly because it was originally free, so I'm surprised they took so long to capitalize on it. Live weekend tournaments could be fun, but they'll need a qualifying system to weed out all of the all-in all the time players that plague the arcade game. Maybe have qualifying rounds to play whenever during the week, then featured official rounds for the weekend for prizes.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I almost read the title as Xbox Live Full House Beta.

jyptd.jpg

AstroLad said:
did anyone ever really figure out why it ended?

Poor strategic management at Microsoft due to repeated changes in leadership and fuckall of a decent strategy for targeting casuals, presumably.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
charlequin said:
Poor strategic management at Microsoft due to repeated changes in leadership and fuckall of a decent strategy for targeting casuals, presumably.
So it wasn't related at all to a licensing issue?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This seems like a sure fire hit, though. Keep the price of entry low, like 400 msp (they could get away with 800 I'm sure) and maybe push some micro-transactions like stupid Halo decks and shit and they're good to go. I'm sure it'll be a hit with people who play with friends over Live and it would be a good incentive for them to keep sub'd. Maybe they could have special event nights like 1 vs. 100 where you can win points.

sounds fun

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
My 360 is dead, so I can't give a shit.

Besides, I can play Poker anywhere on the internet. What makes this outing so special?

At least 1 vs 100 was a more interesting idea. "Live online game show" instead of a "Live Poker Tournament/games." :/

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
^ Never underestimate how much people want to play on Xbox with their friends. They got their parties, their avatars, achievements...it doesn't matter if it's free in a million other places, Xbox gamers will eat this shit up. I bet you a million dollars that this will be a hit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Snuggler said:
^ Never underestimate how much people want to play on Xbox with their friends. They got their parties, their avatars, achievements...it doesn't matter if it's free in a million other places, Xbox gamers will eat this shit up. I bet you a million dollars that this will be a hit.

I honestly can't see the appeal. I can understand playing the game on X-box, but taking the 1 vs 100 money and doing this "live"/running with the 1 vs 100 gameshow online idea is just... "buh?"

I can't see it working, but maybe MS will pull off something interesting for it.

outunderthestars said:
Way to bash a game before even seeing a single picture of it or even having a full understanding of it.

Yes, let's all be sunshine and farts and not go "why the fuck is this replacing 1 vs 100 when there is thousands of Poker applications out there already and ONE ALREADY ON THE FUCKING 360."

Because being positive 24/7 means MS will innovate. Sure.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
throw in some special celebrity appearances like Jamie Kennedy and Hal Sparks and it'll be a big deal

just wait, Seks, I'm not saying it's right but it'll work

Top Bottom