• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The March 2011 Thread

Hello Rocket would be excellent were it not for some massive problems. Namely, terrible collision detection and controls that are really confusing and don't seem consistent. Sometimes stuff works, sometimes it doesn't.

It's basically Lander, but in really small levels where the goal is to knock blocks down and collect stars, quickly, so you get a decent rating.

Could be brilliant, but isn't :(

Kafel said:
Solve It is a good puzzle-game that teaches you how to use patterns to reach the goal. Visuals and music are nice, the character is a bit childish but overall the art is decent. 80 points.

Sold.

screen1.jpg
I really like this game.

Rawker said:
are there any good indie defense games? i've been addicted to warfare 1944 lately.
Scribble Defense and Towers are two of my favourites. 80pts each

And Commander - World 01, which is tremendous.

Kafel said:
$2 more ?
It's sad really.

This is why XBLIG is a race to the bottom.

I can't wait until they start breaking prices down into cents and we still hear the same complaints, 40 cents vs 60 and 80 cents. (nothing against you PepsimanVsJoe)

OnPoint

Dark Octave said:
It's sad really.

This is why XBLIG is a race to the bottom.

I can't wait until they start breaking prices down into cents and we still hear the same complaints, 40 cents vs 60 and 80 cents. (nothing against you PepsimanVsJoe)
Two dollars is very different than eighty cents. Just sayin

I would have bought the game for $3 without hesitation. I bought that novelty piece of shit Sword & Hammer, I may as well buy everything at that rate.
Worst comes to worst I bet I could at least write an entertaining review.

$5 though...that holds a lot of weight. It's more than just money. Take the Radiangames series for example. I haven't bought a single one of those games(aside from Ballistic, which I got for free for review purposes). Quality stuff sure but maybe I'd rather put my money towards supporting some game that promises FBI action (Federal Bust Investigation). We've got enough garbage devs on the indie service promising hot sex for a buck, just because somebody puts some actual effort into it and makes it sound like it should be worth a fiver doesn't mean anything.

OnPoint said:
Two dollars is very different than eighty cents. Just sayin
$10 is very different from 80 cents, $2 is only $1.20 difference. $1.20 won't even break a beggar on the street.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I would have bought the game for $3 without hesitation. I bought that novelty piece of shit Sword & Hammer, I may as well buy everything at that rate.
Worst comes to worst I bet I could at least write an entertaining review.

$5 though...that holds a lot of weight. It's more than just money. Take the Radiangames series for example. I haven't bought a single one of those games(aside from Ballistic, which I got for free for review purposes). Quality stuff sure but maybe I'd rather put my money towards supporting some game that promises FBI action (Federal Bust Investigation). We've got enough garbage devs on the indie service promising hot sex for a buck, just because somebody puts some actual effort into it and makes it sound like it should be worth a fiver doesn't mean anything.
The problem is that you're putting money in the forefront of your decisions instead of interest and time needed to invest in such a game. I never ask myself "is it too much money" because as a working adult, who can afford to be on an online service specifically to purchase luxury items, $2 won't put a dent in my pocket. What I ask myself is, "is it worth my time?". "Will I play this game at all?". I don't need to buy every game on the service. I can be choosy and selective, but it's not going to be because of two dollars. Hell, I'm selective with my demo downloads and those are free.

As for support. That's nice and all, but I'd rather someone bought my game because they like it, not because they pity me or know me.

One thing that makes XBL purchases feel heavier than say Steam or PSN ones are the Microsoft points, and living off of points cards. If I could trust Microsoft with my credit card info to instantly fund my purchase like on Steam or PSN that'd be easier.

Kafel

Banned
HadesGigas said:
One thing that makes XBL purchases feel heavier than say Steam or PSN ones are the Microsoft points, and living off of points cards. If I could trust Microsoft with my credit card info to instantly fund my purchase like on Steam or PSN that'd be easier.

I've bought 1000 points this week on the dashboard, why wouldn't you trust MS ?

What's annoying is the automatic renewal of Live subscription that you have to stop by calling the hotline. MS doesn't make you buy points without you knowing about it.

Kafel said:
I've bought 1000 points this week on the dashboard, why wouldn't you trust MS ?

What's annoying is the automatic renewal of Live subscription that you have to stop by calling the hotline. MS doesn't make you buy points without you knowing about it.

From what I've seen, automatic renewal is known to turn itself on under certain conditions. It's just a headache I don't need.

HadesGigas said:
From what I've seen, automatic renewal is known to turn itself on under certain conditions. It's just a headache I don't need.
I have auto renewal but if I didn't, I wouldn't trust it either.

toythatkills said:
Hello Rocket would be excellent were it not for some massive problems. Namely, terrible collision detection and controls that are really confusing and don't seem consistent. Sometimes stuff works, sometimes it doesn't.

It's basically Lander, but in really small levels where the goal is to knock blocks down and collect stars, quickly, so you get a decent rating.

Could be brilliant, but isn't :(

I really like Hello Rocket. Yes, it has issues (mainly the invisible walls at the edges of the screen and the collision with the bombs) but I thought it was worth 80 galactic groats. I thought the controls were OK, once you get used to the auto-levelling.

I just found it really difficult because as far as I can tell, pressing A doesn't thrust in the direction you're facing, it just drags the tip of your craft to the top of the screen as if it was attached by string or something. And it didn't feel very natural.

I do really like the idea, though.

Kevtones

I snagged Bureau

- stupid amount of T+A, funny for that reason
- i like the game flow, actually
- the first case is fairly simple but it's sensibly constructed
- the game is tedious with menu but it's not all that bad

6/10

Spacecraft is a fine Thrust-alike. A little too straightforward from what I've played so far, but it's a good grav-shooter for a buck. Certainly, not as sweet as Gravitron 360, but it does the job.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
The feeling of despair overwhelms me.

Avatar Fighter seems alright at least. Basically Mortal Kombat style fighting with avatars and without fatalities. Not sure about the speed of it though, seemed like it was slowing down a lot.

Bouncing Avatar seems like the same thing as Avatar Ragdolls except easier to control cause you're in a ball instead of a lifeless corpse. Stupidly easy.

Dude, Where's My Avatar? is like those games in Wii Play where you have to spot your Mii in different kinds of situations. Concept loses a lot without a Wii controls. Also really really easy because my Avatar is Captain Smiley wearing an EWJ suit. Hard to miss...

HadesGigas said:
Avatar Fighter seems alright at least. Basically Mortal Kombat style fighting with avatars and without fatalities. Not sure about the speed of it though, seemed like it was slowing down a lot.

Bouncing Avatar seems like the same thing as Avatar Ragdolls except easier to control cause you're in a ball instead of a lifeless corpse. Stupidly easy.

Dude, Where's My Avatar? is like those games in Wii Play where you have to spot your Mii in different kinds of situations. Concept loses a lot without a Wii controls. Also really really easy because my Avatar is Captain Smiley wearing an EWJ suit. Hard to miss...
XBLIG's value just went up 3% today.

Kafel

Banned
Avatars are not a problem. They're more of a solution for XBLIG devs by the way.

We need more good Avatar games now and the indie devs are lucky so few XBLA/Kinect games use them.

Kafel said:
Avatars are not a problem. They're more of a solution for XBLIG devs by the way.

We need more good Avatar games now and the indie devs are lucky so few XBLA/Kinect games use them.

These there are alright, not sure I'd go so far as "good", but they're decent enough that when they appear in top downloads for months on end it won't be quite so bad as some other ones.

But yeah, the "solution" of avatars creates the problem of shitty ass games with avatars that manage to still appeal to people who really love avatars.

I had quite high hopes for Abronium Tournament, but it disappoints. It's a series of top-down different multiplayer events. The first one I played was a Mario Kart style race with powerups. You can't see your ship half the time, I have no idea what any of the powerups I deployed actually did, and you can't see the ones that you're being hit with so you just end up losing all momentum and being flung around for no apparent reason. Then there was a capture the flag game that proceeded in much the same manner until I just gave up on it.

That top down racing game would be amazing if it was its own game and if it, well, if it worked even the tiniest amount. Which it doesn't right now.

Spacecraft was alright but it was just so unexciting. I'm not impressed with the near-invisible enemy bullets and the way that text appears on the screen and covers them up, though. Mostly, it just makes me want to play Gravitron360.

Cute Pets is exactly what it looks like in screenshots, a poor match-3 game that uncovers pictures of animals as you play. Quite why they've called their game Cute Pets and then put the most depressed looking dog in the world on the cover is beyond me.

MoonLander is rubbish. You start off hurtling through space for no good reason, and then you have to awkwardly try and land on stuff. I've played a million* better versions of Lander.

A tricky game with a cookie is The Impossible Game done badly. Again. This one is done particularly badly though, with unresponsive controls and terrible collision detection and checkpointing.

*not literally a million.

Kafel

Banned
alanias said:
400 points is a lot, but it seems like Pioneerz might be worth a shot.

I don't remember trying the first one (Pioneer), I'll play the demo for this one.

edit : I've played 1 minute of Infinity Danger and Milkstone has done the same mistake than with Zombie Football Carnage : no screen to explain the controls. The fuck.

edit 2 : it seems there's no secondary weapon in ID. The game is ok. Pioneerz is awful.

I seem to recall Pioneer being poor, all their other games have been, a racing game that was set in the Pioneer world particularly.

In Xbox 360 Marketplace news, the rubbish IGN list has been replaced with a list from Kotaku. Luckily, they haven't just filled it with comedy massage apps that their previous coverage suggests they would do. It's a decent list. It'll be interesting to see how often it gets updated and with what.

I can't imagine it's going to make any difference to sales, though, it's practically invisible in the Marketplace.

Kafel

Banned
toythatkills said:
I seem to recall Pioneer being poor, all their other games have been, a racing game that was set in the Pioneer world particularly.

In Xbox 360 Marketplace news, the rubbish IGN list has been replaced with a list from Kotaku. Luckily, they haven't just filled it with comedy massage apps that their previous coverage suggests they would do. It's a decent list. It'll be interesting to see how often it gets updated and with what.

I can't imagine it's going to make any difference to sales, though, it's practically invisible in the Marketplace.

IGN, Kotaku, Joystiq, Gamepro ... contrary to what the indie devs think, MS actually does something for them by pushing the media to speak about XBLIG and giving them a bit of advertising in return.

Kafel

Banned
Here are the kotaku games :

Aban Hawkins and the 1000 Spikes
Cthulhu Saves the World
Platformance: Castle Pain
radiangames Ballistic
Rotor
Shoot 1UP
Zombie Football Carnage
龍炎高校伝説

It's a surprisingly pretty good selection. The last game wasn't necessary though (hyper difficult double dragon clone).

Infinity Danger is really well put together, but I just don't find endless bosses particularly interesting.

Allied Assault Squadron (or something) is a poor 1942-type thing. Too much inertia and weedy weapons kill it.

MS should just have a NeoGaf picks list.

Lazy Gamer is from SDG, and I don't hate it. If they'd put an ounce of effort into the presentation it could have been fun. Unfortunately, it suffers from one problem all their games suffer from, it's repetitive after as little as thirty seconds. Needless swearing, too.

Allied Assault Squadron looks nice, apart from having twenty different fonts in various places. Its the dullest shmup in the world, though. Your weapon is pathetic, your enemies weapons are invisible, and there's just no satisfaction to be gained from playing it at all. I also have literally no idea where my hitbox was.

Dude, Where's My Avatar. Congratulations. You know what your own avatar looks like and are able to pick it out in a crowd of ten avatars. It's not exactly Where's Wally. Or Waldo, for the people that only know about the pretend Wally.

Bouncing Avatars is the game that Doodle Jump would have been if when they were making it, Lima Sky said "hey, you know what'd be fun? Having almost no control over the character at all!" Your avatar moves so slowly it's almost impossible to enjoy. It's better than Avatar Ragdolls, but most stuff is.

Avatar Fighter is slow, and I've no idea how I blocked. I thought it was on RT but I kept pressing that and it kept not blocking. Then I pressed every button on the controller and nothing blocked at all. Yeah, it's 3D avatars looking weirdly 2D in a fighting game a la Street Fighter. That was done better last month with San Bruno, and avatar fighting was done better in SFG Office Brawlers.

Feep

Banned
Project 5 looks really cool, but I'm firmly convinced that marketing any indie game at 400 points is a self-inflicted death sentence.

I wanted to make mine 400 points = (

OnPoint

Feep said:
Project 5 looks really cool, but I'm firmly convinced that marketing any indie game at 400 points is a self-inflicted death sentence.

I wanted to make mine 400 points = (

Yeah, it seems to be a rough spot in the indie channel in terms of sales.

When is your game launching again?

Top Bottom