• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The March 2011 Thread

Enk said:
Played the demo of You Will Die last night. It doesn't seem quite as thought out as Warning Forever. The main boss does grow but it doesn't appear to adapt to how you kill it. Having a shield and have it drain your score multiplier was a nice touch that wasn't in WF.

Did you ever play Warning Forever? Putting in enemies would just defeat the purpose of the game (which is trying to be a tribute to WF). Basically the game is about you against this always growing, always adapting ship. Challenge and Score comes in place with how quickly you can kill it so you can keep your timer up, trying to survive the increasing onslaught of weapons (each death saps 20 secs off your timer), and trying to adjust your attack style to kill it in a way that makes it adapt the way you want it to. If you haven't played Warning Forever yet definitely check it out. It's great for those quick short spurts of shmup goodness.
I guess that makes sense. I'm glad you pointed that out to me. I'll look up WF.

GhaleonEB

Dark Octave said:
The whole thing is written really strange, like a rushed breakdown or summary of a full interview. Otherwise, good read.
Yeah it read like he was trying to summarize or transcribe as it went. Still a good read. I'm a big fan of Ian's (MagicalTimeBean - Soulcaster 1&2).

Ventron

Kafel said:
shit, I forgot to say "please" : /

Never mind, you got it anyway since you're the only one who responded.

I hope it's because everyone else has bought the game already.

;_;

This sounds like a hit, according to google translation at least:

Teacher ☆ Freaky Costumes

This game was classified by the community with the following category scores - Violence = 0 / 3, Sex = 3 / 3, Mature Content = 0 / 3.'s Third short novel series. Akira Hiroshi can not concentrate on study and exam commitments has 乃 thatch tutor ... hobby is cosplay.

How the shit are these visual novels getting a pass when they're entirely in Japanese?

HadesGigas said:
Pretty sure they only need to be peer reviewed by Japanese speaking reviewers if they're only in Japanese.

If a game is multilingual it needs to be peer reviewed by speakers of all the supported languages.

tch..I guess I'm just exasperated.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
How the shit are these visual novels getting a pass when they're entirely in Japanese?

Pretty sure they only need to be peer reviewed by Japanese speaking reviewers if they're only in Japanese.

If a game is multilingual it needs to be peer reviewed by speakers of all the supported languages.

Trumpets

The Japanese are currently devolving into a perverted niche where fondling young girls in a videogame is preferable to actually meeting someone in real life. It's hardly suprising then that shit like this keeps passing their peer review system.

Kafel

Banned
Ventron said:

;_;

yay I've won something ! Thank you, I'll try to play the game this week.

The Sugar Killerz is out. 400 points.

http://catalog.create.msdn.com/en-U...d=a10387bb-19bb-4a14-baad-a05b4aa15b81&type=2

Square Off is 80 points by the way.

Early gameplay from World of Chalk (not to be mixed with Chalked, already released):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b7BE0SGTl-k

Starzzle intro :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6NNdpWiBiI

OnPoint

Ventron said:

;_;

I bought it near launch. I've put about an hour into it with a friend but he hasn't been back over since. We'll play more in the future. Enjoying it so far though.

Feep

Banned
Ventron said:

;_;
Well, *I* certainly have it. = D

198244_10150122960492321_104565207320_7052927_7833409_n.jpg

http://nll.com/article.php?id=4897

NLL 11 VIDEO GAME COMING SOON

Game features all teams and players; available this spring for only $5

03/08/2011
The National Lacrosse League has announced that NLL 11, the NLL's officially licensed video game by Crosse Studio, in conjunction with Stir Fry Games, is in development for a release this spring on Xbox 360's Indie Game Channel.

The game will feature all ten NLL teams and the league's 230 players, a completely new game engine, franchise mode, player statistics, celebrations and much more. For the first time, NLL 11 will include fighting in the video game. The cost of the game will remain at $5.

"We are thrilled to extend our agreement with Crosse Studio in issuing NLL 11", said NLL Commissioner George Daniel. "This game captures the speed, excitement and hard-hitting action of the NLL."

"NLL 11 may be our most advanced offering yet", said Carlo Sunseri, Founder of Crosse Studio. "The new game engine, fighting, sound effects, player statistics, and celebrations add even more authenticity to the game".

The first version of the game, NLL Lacrosse 2010, was named the "Best Indie Sports Game" of 2010 by Kotaku.com, a leading website in the video gaming community. NLL Lacrosse 2010 was among games such as MLB 2K10, NBA 2K11, NCAA Football 11 & EA Sports MMA as winners of the Sports Video Games of the Year.

Pricing & Availability

NLL Lacrosse 2011 will be available on the Xbox 360's Indie Game Channel in the United States, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, and United Kingdom in March for a price of $5 (US).

In two years, Crosse Studio has released four lacrosse video games, College Lacrosse 2010, the first ever field lacrosse video game, NLL Lacrosse 2010, College Lacrosse 2011, and NLL 11. In that short time, over 300,000 games have been downloaded and over two million games of lacrosse have been played worldwide. Crosse Studio Founder, Carlo Sunseri is a college lacrosse coach based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Crosse Studio is a subsidiary of Carlo Sunseri LLC.

Stir Fry Games is a small independent game development studio based in Guelph, Canada. SFG is best known for it's Xbox Live arcade-sports titles: SFG Soccer, and SFG Beach Volleyball as well as the over-the-top fighting game SFG Office Brawlers.

FIGHTS!

Trumpets said:
The Japanese are currently devolving into a perverted niche where fondling young girls in a videogame is preferable to actually meeting someone in real life. It's hardly suprising then that shit like this keeps passing their peer review system.
Um..ehhhh...

yeah..

N4Us

Bet I could convince everyone in the visual novel reccos thread that Teacher ☆ Freaky Costumes is secretly a survival-horror game.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just started playing Epic Dungeon this Sunday, man that game is GOOD. I haven't turned on my 360 in about a month, heard about the game and loving it!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Trumpets said:
The Americans/Europeans are devolving into a dribbling savage niche where violently murdering other humans in a video game is preferable to actually meeting someone in real life.

Get it?

besiktas1

Trumpets said:

Baka gaijin.

Kafel

Banned
I've played a bit of Bonded Realities last night (thanks for the code Mike!) and I like the story and writing.

The game looks good in motion (better than in screens) and plays well. It's a pity the combats are just boring though : I smash the A button until I drink a potion and then a bit of button-smashing again. Oh and their frequency is quite annoying, every 10 seconds is a bit too much.

So I'll keep playing for the funny lines.

I wanted the first 5 minutes to last forever n_n

Trumpets

The Americans/Europeans are devolving into a dribbling savage niche where violently murdering other humans in a video game is preferable to actually meeting someone in real life.

Get it?

You clearly don't. The Japanese birthrate is very low while western birthrates are generally much more healthy. Japanese men aren't shagging Japanese women enough. These Japanese perv-o-games that infest XBLIG, not to mention the reams of Manga and Anime of a similar type are a symptom of this. Perverted Niche. See?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Trumpets said:
You clearly don't. The Japanese birthrate is very low while western birthrates are generally much more healthy. Japanese men aren't shagging Japanese women enough. These Japanese perv-o-games that infest XBLIG, not to mention the reams of Manga and Anime of a similar type are a symptom of this. Perverted Niche. See?
So what you're saying is that you agree that violent video games are directly linked to murder rates?

Compelling!

mujun said:
So your RPG is coming out in April? That would be something to look forward to!

If everything goes as planned, mid-to-late April is the go date.

Warm Machine said:
We'll be done then too. Still up in the air if we go DBP or not. If we do it'll likely not get released until after judging.

I know, I'm a bit concerned released games will automatically get 'judged' lower due to already being released. Finishing in the top 20 is the goal for this game. Anything better would be a pleasant surprise.

I've been curious what your game is for a few months now...looking forward to learning more about it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
looks wicked, although the capcom-nes box art thing threw me for a loop because i thought it was a zeboyd games game :p

nli10

Trumpets said:

From a Public Health angle it's not an issue. (long dull PH worker explanation deleted)

Plus less pregnancies is not the same as less sex.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, there was also a report on Japan being sexless and Japanese teens/young adults being grossly disinterested in sex as well, but how did we get on this topic anyway.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Kafel said:
I don't remember if we've talked about Blossom Tales before.
Looks okay, promising, I would say.

But my God, they HAVE to change the sound effects. They go out of their way to make it look and sound like an authentic 8-bit game and then the game is plagued by sound effects that sound like they were made in Sound Recorder and remind me of cheapy games from the Windows 3.1 era. The grunts during a dialog box, especially.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah, we spoke of Blossom Tales before, sometime before the Winter Uprising games came out. No showing of the boxart at that point, however.

I don't mind the odd sound effects too much, for 2 reasons.

1> The pixel work is a fusion of new and old, as well. You have very Nintendo-like spritework, met with pixel-particle effects that could only be handeled at higher framerates with more modern rendering techniques at higher resolutions.

2> Reminds me of Turbo/Sega CD games, really. Graphics not too much better then 8-Bit, but with compressed CD-quality audio, and awkwardly looping soundtracks.

I also believe they said a lot of the sounds were placeholders at the time. Things like Mario Chain-chomp sounds for hits, and all the obvious Zelda stuff.

World can always use more Zelda / Ys like Action RPGs.

Oh my God, AN ENJOYABLE TWIN-STICK JUST CAME OUT!

みみ いんざ すかい

It's fun simply because it doesn't make the mistakes that almost every other one does. It's total chaos from the very start, it's really fast, and there's a neat twist whereby your point items are drawn to you when you stop shooting, so you've gotta get a decent balance between attack and upping your score. It's pretty simple, but I like it.

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
Gotta say, Blossom Tales looks like the closest thing to a Zelda feel that I have seen so far. (there may have been one from Japan, but I couldn't play that one)

Can't believe more like it don't exist already.

Mimi in the Sky aka みみ いんざ すかい is totally worth getting.

I'm not just saying that because the indie offerings have been pretty crap lately either. Mimi is legit good stuff and more people should give it a look before it eventually gets lost in the XBLI heap.

toythatkills said:
Oh my God, AN ENJOYABLE TWIN-STICK JUST CAME OUT!

みみ いんざ すかい

It's fun simply because it doesn't make the mistakes that almost every other one does. It's total chaos from the very start, it's really fast, and there's a neat twist whereby your point items are drawn to you when you stop shooting, so you've gotta get a decent balance between attack and upping your score. It's pretty simple, but I like it.

Seemed like it didn't pick up in difficulty enough for me. Doesn't help that they cut off the trial at about 2 minutes. Was really easy to destroy everything without much strategy or even using the special ability. Only time I died was when I was messing around with aiming the dash because I was bored.

One thing I did like is that they included an undocumented single stick control setup, hold A and it shots in the direction you move. Not that it's a better way to play, but options are never bad.

Feep

Banned
Ugh.

Have to delay release till April. My artist is a crazy perfectionist and she won't be able to get the last eight backgrounds in time. = (

= ( = ( = (

Top Bottom