• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox missed annual revenue forecasts by $780 million

Draugoth

Gold Member
92113_35_xbox-missed-yearly-revenue-forecasts-by-780-million.png

New internal documents from Microsoft's business leadership shows that Xbox has missed revenue forecasts by over $700 million.

The case file exhibit list includes one very illuminating 80-page internal Microsoft document that outlined where Xbox currently is and where it can grow. The slide deck, which was issued during Microsoft's Q3 FY22 (January - March 2023), has assigned an estimated revenue target of $17 billion for the Xbox games division. Actual results were quite different--Xbox made $16.22 billion in FY22, missing the internal target by some $780 million.

92113_3234_xbox-missed-yearly-revenue-forecasts-by-780-million.png

This number is still quite impressive. Microsoft's performance throughout both calendar year 2021 and 2022 was enough to beat Nintendo's revenues for the last two years in a row, despite Nintendo having the best-selling console on the market today.

A.Romero

They missed the mark by 5% and still beating Nintendo, it just sounds like an ambitious goal. I wonder if the late year releases will help them get better results than last year because they seem to be below the mark.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Very impressive for the third place console.

Just goes to show that despite the massive hardware sales, nintendo misses the gaas money from CoD, Destiny, BF, and other big AAA releases that Nintendo misses out on. Just this year, no Dead Space, no Hogwarts, no RE4, no star wars, diablo, SF, or Dead Island 2 on the Switch.

MS is effectively in second place in the console business no matter how you try to classify the switch. Really hope the next switch is at least as powerful as a series s because otherwise, i dont see any AAA third party studio releasing games on that platform.

Neo_GAF

Banned
how much does sony and what does this show you?
i think sony should calm their tits regarding activision-blizzard.
nothing lost.
they have bungie which are also a juggernaut.

Robb

Gold Member
Xbox made $16.22 billion in FY22,
Microsoft's performance throughout both calendar year 2021 and 2022 was enough to beat Nintendo's revenues for the last two years in a row
Title sounded very negative but this seems impressive?

I guess they did miss their own target, but you’d think they’d miss it by way more than 4-5% given how poorly things seem to be going.

ungalo

Just goes to show that despite the massive hardware sales, nintendo misses the gaas money
I think it actually shows how profitable Nintendo is on the contrary. They don't have a massive revenue and yet they have a 4.5 billions net income. Playstation is like 26 billions revenue and less than 2 billions in operating income lol. The numbers of Nintendo are insane.

Xbox grew mechanically with the push on service and Gamepass, and they're coming back down. Plus they probably never made any profit.

Chukhopops

Just goes to show that despite the massive hardware sales, nintendo misses the gaas money from CoD, Destiny, BF, and other big AAA releases that Nintendo misses out on. Just this year, no Dead Space, no Hogwarts, no RE4, no star wars, diablo, SF, or Dead Island 2 on the Switch.

MS is effectively in second place in the console business no matter how you try to classify the switch. Really hope the next switch is at least as powerful as a series s because otherwise, i dont see any AAA third party studio releasing games on that platform.
From a gaming division revenue perspective it seems MS is now bigger than Nintendo?

Their fiscal year is calculated over different months but Nintendo reported 15.09B USD in 2022 and 16.53B in 2021.

Edit: ok just realized the article mentions it.

Is it finally time to put the « distant third » narrative behind us?

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I think it actually shows how profitable Nintendo is on the contrary. They don't have a massive revenue and yet they have a 4.5 billions net income. Playstation is like 26 billions revenue and less than 2 billions in operating income lol. The numbers of Nintendo are insane.

Xbox grew mechanically with the push on service and Gamepass, and they're coming back down. Plus they probably never made any profit.
Agreed. Nintendo isn't spending a fraction of what Sony and certainly Ms are either.

tmlDan

I guess they did miss their own target, but you’d think they’d miss it by way more than 4-5% given how poorly things seem to be going.
It's because they're trying to make consumers and the public think they suck and are third place despite their strategy leaning away from console specific sales metrics and more into software and services

Three

If it's 2022 FY I bet this is due to Halo Infinite's failure as a live service game. They had lofty goals for gamepass subscription growth too which they never met.

Lasha

Nintendo misses out on the rent that Sony and Microsoft take from third parties. Nintendo's operating income is higher despite the lower revenue since it sells a shitload of first party games.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

It's neither impressive nor unimpressive.

Nintendo, despite the lowest revenue out of the 3, whips Sony's and Microsoft's ass with the highest operating profit. That's what matters the most -- not te revenue.

Microsoft earned $16.2 billion in revenue. Cool. How much did they spend to make those $16.2 billion? That's what matters.

It's neither impressive nor unimpressive.

Nintendo, despite the lowest revenue out of the 3, whips Sony's and Microsoft's ass with the highest operating profit. That's what matters the most -- not te revenue.

Microsoft earned $16.2 billion in revenue. Cool. How much did they spend to make those $16.2 billion? That's what matters.

MS spent a ton of money that went to game devs, they even subsidised my console hardware for me. Sounds good to me as consumer.

Nintendo earned a ton of profit, that came out of my own pocket.

It's always give and take. For what it's worth, I try to buy a ton of games monthly on xbox on top of my gamepass subscription cause I feel it's good value.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
MS spent a ton of money that went to game devs, they even subsidised my console hardware for me. Sounds good to me as consumer.

Nintendo earned a ton of profit, that came out of my own pocket.

It's always give and take. For what it's worth, I try to buy a ton of games monthly on xbox on top of my gamepass subscription cause I feel it's good value.
From a consumer POV, sure. But if we are talking about the health of a business division, only revenue data (with no information on operating income) doesn't paint the full picture.

Nydius

Is it finally time to put the « distant third » narrative behind us?
Hardly.

They‘re still a distant third in total number of consoles sold despite having a budget SKU to increase market share. Third in software attach rate. Third in mindshare.

Nintendo spends a fraction of the money Microsoft does and sees nearly the same amount of revenues. Microsoft probably spends the most money relative to revenue, which would also still put them a distant third compared to Nintendo’s and Sony’s expense-to-revenue splits.

Last edited:
$16 billion without any AAA first party games, that's pretty impressive and with the likes of Starfield coming it's only going to get bigger.
Phil said recently they are profitable now so I think they will invest more in the division.
Yeah, I feel like this is really important context here.

Also the number $780 million to us peasants sounds huge but measured against the $16 billion they pulled in, is actually not too bad at all.

Context people. It’s important.

Chukhopops

Hardly.

They‘re still a distant third in total number of consoles sold despite having a budget SKU to increase market share. Third in software attach rate. Third in mindshare.

Nintendo spends a fraction of the money Microsoft does and sees nearly the same amount of revenues. Microsoft probably spends the most money relative to revenue, which would also still put them a distant third compared to Nintendo’s and Sony’s expense-to-revenue splits.
How is market share measured already? Let’s see:
  • Market share represents the percentage of an industry, or a market's total sales, that is earned by a particular company over a specified time period.
  • Market share is calculated by taking the company's sales over the period and dividing it by the total sales of the industry over the same period.
Time to admit it, they’re #2.

NEbeast

$16 billion without any AAA first party games, that's pretty impressive and with the likes of Starfield coming it's only going to get bigger.
Phil said recently they are profitable now so I think they will invest more in the division.
You must be paid by MS.

ZoukGalaxy

This Is Fine GIF
Explosion Reaction GIF

I will try to cry tonight for Microsoft.

/s

More seriously, OUCH, with all the money and ressources they have you wonder sometimes how a company can be so blind. It's like they are now too big to be effective and productive.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Is that mostly gamepass money? I don't imagine the Xbox consoles bring in bread like THAT.

Imagine how successful they would be if they could actually manage their studios.

FritzJ92

Nintendo is run efficiently. Low-cost hardware, that has not dropped in price. Game distribution that does not for some reason go on sale, and if it does (less than $10). Reselling the same designs with minor updates for modern prices. They are putting in low efforts with high returns, and when they put in high effort they get greater returns. Thats about as efficient as a company can go.

Top Bottom