• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox missed annual revenue forecasts by $780 million

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lol so super fanboys like riky get gold now ? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Where is my Sony revenue thread. I am all out of gold too!

I thought MS was crying to the FTC about being poor and sick and hungry, and about how big bully Sony keeps charging them 30% for their shipped games on the PS platform.

If $16b of annual revenue makes Xbox a poor man. I wanna be a poor man.

AmuroChan

Is that mostly gamepass money? I don't imagine the Xbox consoles bring in bread like THAT.

Imagine how successful they would be if they could actually manage their studios.

Should be mainly from the 30% cut they take from every third party game sold on XBox, plus all the DLCs and MTX as well.

diffusionx

Gold Member
$16 billion without any AAA first party games, that's pretty impressive and with the likes of Starfield coming it's only going to get bigger.
Phil said recently they are profitable now so I think they will invest more in the division.
Yea that's accounted for in the plan. The $17 billion plan includes whatever sort of revenue they think they are going to get from whatever games they are planning to make. Starfield is priced into the next plan going forward, and presumably be higher because of that.

It's not just some random number they throw at the wall. That is why missing it by almost 5% is quite significant.

Riky

$MSFT
Yea that's accounted for in the plan. The $17 billion plan includes whatever sort of revenue they think they are going to get from whatever games they are planning to make. Starfield is priced into the next plan going forward, and presumably be higher because of that.

It's not just some random number they throw at the wall. That is why missing it by almost 5% is quite significant.

Depends when the plan was made, if the figure was 17 billion before the delay Starfield got and they only missed it by a small margin then they have probably exceeded expectations by quite a margin.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Very impressive for the third place console.

Just goes to show that despite the massive hardware sales, nintendo misses the gaas money from CoD, Destiny, BF, and other big AAA releases that Nintendo misses out on. Just this year, no Dead Space, no Hogwarts, no RE4, no star wars, diablo, SF, or Dead Island 2 on the Switch.

MS is effectively in second place in the console business no matter how you try to classify the switch. Really hope the next switch is at least as powerful as a series s because otherwise, i dont see any AAA third party studio releasing games on that platform.

This is also why when a big AAA game comes out on the Switch it does CRAZY numbers. Nintendo games don't have to compete with the world's 3rd party games like MS and Sony have to.

Tsaki

I think it actually shows how profitable Nintendo is on the contrary. They don't have a massive revenue and yet they have a 4.5 billions net income. Playstation is like 26 billions revenue and less than 2 billions in operating income lol. The numbers of Nintendo are insane.

Xbox grew mechanically with the push on service and Gamepass, and they're coming back down. Plus they probably never made any profit.
Nintendo is in such a great place. They rake in high profits through their 1st party software but they also have much lower dev costs. If only they could get some actually good hardware with the Switch2 in order to get all the 3rd party games day 1, then their revenue would skyrocket as well.

twilo99

With these abysmal numbers it's clear that Xbox will close up shop within the next three months.

They are definitely spending more than they are making and I bet MS will have to close the whole thing down within .. maybe a year

twilo99

I thought MS was crying to the FTC about being poor and sick and hungry, and about how big bully Sony keeps charging them 30% for their shipped games on the PS platform.

If $16b of annual revenue makes Xbox a poor man. I wanna be a poor man.

From a market share standpoint, they are certainly poor and hungry...

Tutomos

That's not a good look when Minecraft accounts for a large amount of its revenue. More AAA games will help but won't improve things much. MS should look at Genshin Impact and get more of those on their platform.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
we suck again GIF

diffusionx

Gold Member
Depends when the plan was made, if the figure was 17 billion before the delay Starfield got and they only missed it by a small margin then they have probably exceeded expectations by quite a margin.
A major change like the delay of a major revenue generating game would have to lead them to change the plan to account for it. The plan exists to set a line for how the business as it is operating should be performing. That is why not hitting the target actually is a big deal. It's all priced in. Setting these plans is really important for a company and a lot of work goes into it. They want to set proper and reasonable expectations for how a unit should be performing.

The truth is, without some big external thing like, I don't know, a worldwide pandemic, a company overperforming or underperforming a plan by 20% or whatever you all think is big is actually more of a sign of a bad plan than anything else. Not hitting the target by 5% tells me the plan was reasonable and they underperformed it, flat out.

From a market share standpoint, they are certainly poor and hungry...
Think about how much they fucked up from the 360.

They had the best versions of multiplat games
An exclusive deal with the best 3rd person shooter of the gen
Exclusive content for GTA
Marketing rights for that gen’s main Final Fantasy games
Exclusive Tales game
Halo 3, OST and Reach
The best online network
Mass effect was exclusive
BioShock ended up a timed exclusive
XBLA was doing great
Etc

They fumbled hard and if they had actually invested in their studios then like Sony did, and put out a competent successor hardware wise then the landscape might look hugely different.

Three

Is that mostly gamepass money? I don't imagine the Xbox consoles bring in bread like THAT.

Imagine how successful they would be if they could actually manage their studios.
This is everything and only revenue so hardware revenue would be a big part of that. I'm more interested in knowing how they missed their gamepass forcast by 40% yet only missed their revenue forcast by 5%.

twilo99

Think about how much they fucked up from the 360.

They had the best versions of multiplat games
An exclusive deal with the best 3rd person shooter of the gen
Exclusive content for GTA
Marketing rights for that gen’s main Final Fantasy games
Exclusive Tales game
Halo 3, OST and Reach
The best online network
Mass effect was exclusive
BioShock ended up a timed exclusive
XBLA was doing great
Etc

They fumbled hard and if they had actually invested in their studios then like Sony did, and put out a competent successor hardware wise then the landscape might look hugely different.

Sure, but all of that doesn't change that they are CURRENTLY poor and hungry for marketshare

twilo99

They’ve only themselves to blame.

Of course, but instead of admitting defeat and staying irrelevant or going out of business, they are trying to do something about it? You might not agree with their approach, but if they don't do that and are out of the game in 10 years someone like you might yet again say that they only have themselves to blame for not trying

Mr.Phoenix

A couple of things.

Revenue-wise, yes,Xbox is second to Playstation and Nintendo is coming in third.

But what this article doesn't say, is how much of that revenue is actually profits. I am sure we will find that that is where Nintendo shines. Nintendo is not making as much in terms of revenue as sony and, mostly because they do not have the third-party support those two have, but ninetndoisnt sending anywhere near as much as them either.

Without that crucial profit number, data like this is pointless. MS can make $16B in revenue, and still come out saying they are profitable... but we won't ever know if those profits only amount to like 5% of that revenue.

To me, the main takeaway from all this is that if their numbers are actually good, then they wouldn't be hiding it.

chonga

But it was delayed and they did fail. You can't just rewrite history or elect to ignore the failures to make out that you did indeed succeed.

'Hitler was a not a bad man if you ignore the bad things he did'.

This is essentially what you're trying to argue. And it is dumb logic. The point is they did fail, and Hitler was a monster.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
But it was delayed and they did fail. You can't just rewrite history or elect to ignore the failures to make out that you did indeed succeed.

'Hitler was a not a bad man if you ignore the bad things he did'.

This is essentially what you're trying to argue. And it is dumb logic. The point is they did fail, and Hitler was a monster.

That's a pretty ridiculous comparison.

Xbox set target of 17 billion, for 2022 presumably before 2022 starts. They expect Starfield to release in 2022.

Starfield gets delayed in 2022 to 2023.

Xbox miss target by 780 million, do you think Starfield will generate 780 million?

Nvzman

It's 4.5% off of their annual forecast. It's not huge at all.
In the business world thats not devastating but that *is* a bad thing.
Also I'm a little annoyed at how many people are using this as an indicator of anything when this is just revenue. It doesn't matter if this revenue is 4.5% off because it could very well be that MS either has higher expenses this year which translates to worse profit margins or that they expensed less and has higher margins. Profit matters much more than revenue.

Of course, but instead of admitting defeat and staying irrelevant or going out of business, they are trying to do something about it? You might not agree with their approach, but if they don't do that and are out of the game in 10 years someone like you might yet again say that they only have themselves to blame for not trying
They’ve got more studios than Sony already. They’ve got a pipeline for GamePass. They’ve got the stronger console - they’ve got the cheaper console.
They don’t need to hugely distort and consolidate the industry to compete.

chonga

That's a pretty ridiculous comparison.

Xbox set target of 17 billion, for 2022 presumably before 2022 starts. They expect Starfield to release in 2022.

Starfield gets delayed in 2022 to 2023.

Xbox miss target by 780 million, do you think Starfield will generate 780 million?
I have no idea what Starfield will generate, and it doesn't matter what I think. I could think it would be $1 or $1 trillion. You obviously think it would make up the shortfall. But it doesn't change the point made.

You are making a stupidly dumb case that if we ignore the failings, then they would have met the target. But the point is they DID fail.

If you're taking an exam and take too long to answer the questions such that you don't answer enough to pass - you fail. There's no 'oh but if I wasn't delayed in answering the questions I missed I would have passed, so give me an A'. It doesn't work like that.

Otherwise if you want to use 'what ifs' then you can just say well what if the pandemic never happened and there was no boost in video game market. They've had been even further short of the target. What if they never got the acquisitions over the line? Again, even more off target.

What happened, happened. And what happened is they failed.

Mr.Phoenix

Of course, without knowing that the revenue number doesn't mean much
This does put certain things into perspective though.

MS spending more acquisitions in one year than Nintendo has made in total revenue in 4.5 years... and than Playstation has made in 3 years.

Hudo

For some reason? I wonder why…
It's a multi-billion dollar company that shits on the consumer like every other company. But I am also not in the age bracket anymore (fuck, man....) where I do brand tribalism. A blessing and a curse. Beating people in Quake 3 for shitting on 3dfx was fun.

Brucey

This is everything and only revenue so hardware revenue would be a big part of that. I'm more interested in knowing how they missed their gamepass forcast by 40% yet only missed their revenue forcast by 5%.
Good Guy Phil mentioned that gamepass comprises about 15% of revenue:

"“Game Pass as an overall part of our content and services revenue is probably 15 percent,” he told The Journal’s Sarah Needleman. “I don’t think it gets bigger than that. I think the overall revenue grows so 15 percent of a bigger number, but we don’t have this future where I think 50 to 70 percent of our revenue comes from subscriptions.”

RAIDEN1

Very impressive for the third place console.

Just goes to show that despite the massive hardware sales, nintendo misses the gaas money from CoD, Destiny, BF, and other big AAA releases that Nintendo misses out on. Just this year, no Dead Space, no Hogwarts, no RE4, no star wars, diablo, SF, or Dead Island 2 on the Switch.

MS is effectively in second place in the console business no matter how you try to classify the switch. Really hope the next switch is at least as powerful as a series s because otherwise, i dont see any AAA third party studio releasing games on that platform.
Yeah but then Nintendo consoles have done fine without the heavy hitters on other consoles, ie The Gamecube, Wii, et all never got a Grand Theft Auto game...even though everyone else did....and the one and only time a Metal Gear game came to a Nintendo home console was Metal Gear Twin snakes, but it missed out on all the others...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The case file exhibit list includes one very illuminating 80-page internal Microsoft document that outlined where Xbox currently is and where it can grow. The slide deck, which was issued during Microsoft's Q3 FY22 (January - March 2023), has assigned an estimated revenue target of $17 billion for the Xbox games division. Actual results were quite different--Xbox made $16.22 billion in FY22, missing the internal target by some $780 million.

Missed by about 5%.

Sounds like my company. Internal targets are sky high, but communication to wall street is something much lower. In fact, there are different levels of targets pending what rung of ladder you are. The sales team gets one target (sky high), the finance team has another target (realistic), and if you are high enough you get the lowest communicated target --> what wall street is told.

Our company has missed initial targets too. But thats what they are targets. They get revised many times during the year (up or down). Just to prove targets can mean nothing, there have been times we "missed the target" but still got great bonuses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom