• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

vg260

If it was possible at the time they would've done it. It took until now, from when Spencer took the helm, to do it. You can't tell me if people knew how to do it previously it wouldn't have been immediately done.

From the Giant Bomb interview with Spencer he said the leadership team made the call to push forward with BC development a year ago. So it doesn't sound like they were actively developing it earlier.

hodgy100

The 1st page. I take it people really wanted it to be streaming? Why oh why

I think people were just shocked they got it working.

pretty much, emulation, dynamic recompilation or straight up re-compiling the games
is cool / impressive. One end of the spectrum requires excellent technical capability the other, a lot of money to test / fix introduced bugs etc. streaming is an easy go-to solution really.

Nephtes

If it was possible at the time they would've done it. It took until now, from when Spencer took the helm, to do it. You can't tell me if people knew how to do it previously it wouldn't have been immediately done.

I think you're missing my point. If there was a will at MS to do backwards compatibility at Xbox One launch, it would have been done. The leadership at the time was such that money and resources were not allocated to this project. But given that we're getting it now on unchanged hardware proves it was possible for this to work at launch provided Mattrick had decided to pay for it to happen.

Bessy67

I randomly got a message saying I was in the preview program now (thanks if anyone here invited me, but I never asked for an invite) and now I'm downloading Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Viva Pinata TIP, Defense Grid and Super Meat Boy. This is pretty cool.

This is great! Finally got to play Super Meat Boy again. Unfortunate that I couldn't retreive my save game (lvl 252 or something), but going for another try! Plays great. Also tried a World of Keflings in co-op. Had some glitches when the screen spilts and also some sound problems.

Sorry if already posted, but this games could be coming to BC soon. Just a rumour though (a pretty obvious one...)

Halo 3
Halo Reach
Halo 3 ODST
Halo Wars
Fable II
Borderlands
Gears Of War
Gears Of War 2
Alan Wake
Shadow Complex

Anyone care about (Raven/Activision) Wolfenstein 2009?

A great game that isn't on PSN, was pulled from Steam, and was never a GOD title, so it's digitally "rare".

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/298503-backwards-compatibility/suggestions/8375376-wolfenstein

I assume it was pulled because of a dispute between id/Activison? Or Bethesda/Activision?

I'd love to see it come back to Steam, at any rate

Sorry if already posted, but this games could be coming to BC soon.

Halo 3
Halo Reach
Halo 3 ODST
Halo Wars
Fable II
Borderlands
Gears Of War
Gears Of War 2
Alan Wake
Shadow Complex

Source?

I assume it was pulled because of a dispute between id/Activison? Or Bethesda/Activision?

I'd love to see it come back to Steam, at any rate

Source?

Just a rumour based on the promotional pictures:
360onXboxOne.png

But take it with a grain of salt.

JaggedSac

Anybody else still having problems with games you own digitally not showing up in your ready to install tab?

I don't see Small Arms or Banjo Nuts and Bolts. What's even odder is that Nuts and Bolts prompts me for payment if I am looking at it on the Marketplace product page on live.xbox.com...even though it is in my download history. I was on the chat line with MS tech support for 3 hours yesterday and they were about as helpful as a screen door in a submarine.

I'm having the same problem with the same two games.

Fox Mulder

Is there any particular reason why PGR4 isn't available digitally? I'd love to have it on Xbox One.

The games on demand service was added a few years after Activision bought bizarre creations. The dlc has been delisted as well. MS owns the IP, so it's likely a car licensing issue as well.

Sanador

The wording still implies each title has to be supported manually, otherwise all games would just work already.

So it's basically PS2 Classics on PS3 but not having to pay for games you already own. Cool...but no guarantee all my games will be supported.

This^^

It is probably the smartest thing MS has done with the XB1 yet, but it appears to be extremely limited. At least they can market "Its backwards compatible", even though odds are the games you want to play won't work.

Much like their entry into VR. They can market "Play XB1 games on Oculus Rift", but neglect to point out that you need about $1500 of additional equipment (inc. Oculus), and it is just a virtual living room with 2d games streamed to virtual TV.

And much like their marketing of AR headset HoloLens: "Play Minecraft on your XB1 in AR on your coffee table". Admittedly it looks cool, but they don't point out you need a Windows 10 PC to plug the HoloLens into as well.

Personally, I am still waiting for a reason to get an XB1.

I got a chance to speak to one of the programmers who helped design the Xbox one's backwards compatibility yesterday at the Xbox daily show at E3, and he really gave me and a few other guys a nice bit of insight into how it all came together. It took 11 months or so.

Needless to say, Microsoft has some seriously talented people up there. He described the different types of emulation methods they could have gone with, and also gave us the kinds of challenges involved that led to the elimination of some, or even all, of them. One obviously included access to source code for the games, but that would've been no good for all kinds of reasons.

Either way it was very enlightening. I'm so excited about this.

Syriel

I got a chance to speak to one of the programmers who helped design the Xbox one's backwards compatibility yesterday at the Xbox daily show at E3, and he really gave me and a few other guys a nice bit of insight into how it all came together. It took 11 months or so.

Needless to say, Microsoft has some seriously talented people up there. He described the different types of emulation methods they could have gone with, and also gave us the kinds of challenges involved that led to the elimination of some, or even all, of them. One obviously included access to source code for the games, but that would've been no good for all kinds of reasons.

You need to drop more details then! :)

As evidenced by the "get Fallout 3 with Fallout 4" deal, I'm sure publishers/MS also see this as another easy incentive for people to buy their sequels, especially digitally. Giving away a 360 version of a game for preordering/buying the new one would probably just be factored into their marketing budget.

On another note, an interesting parallel I noticed is that MS has publicly used the "it's up to publishers to approve this for their games, but it doesn't take any special work on their part, and our first party stuff will be fully supported" phrasing with one other major announcements: the original disc trade-in and license transfer policy in 2013.

One of those worked out way better for them PR-wise though, lol.

solis74

great stuff!

UraMallas

A random question.

Has anybody checked what it looks like to another Xbox One player when you are playing a 360 title? Does it tell them you are playing the specific game and say (360)?

I'd love to see a screenshot of some examples of that if anybody knows of any.

One thing I'm a little unclear on is how X1 parties interact with things; say, hypothetically, that ME3 gets cleared and me and my buddies want to play a few rounds. Do we have to party up through the 360 dash, or will the X1 party system work and automatically put us all into the same lobby?

One thing I'm a little unclear on is how X1 parties interact with things; say, hypothetically, that ME3 gets cleared and me and my buddies want to play a few rounds. Do we have to party up through the 360 dash, or will the X1 party system work and automatically put us all into the same lobby?

You can do both. If you press start+select it'll open up the 360 Guide and you can go to friends and party just like on 360. Or you can do it through Xbox One system and chat through that while you play. Both work.

For ME3, you would group up in-game as usual, and either chat through the in-game chat (if it exists), or the 360 Party/Chat if you are playing with someone who is on 360 (since there is no cross-platform party chat), or the Xbox One chat if you're all playing the game on Xbox One.

A random question.

Has anybody checked what it looks like to another Xbox One player when you are playing a 360 title? Does it tell them you are playing the specific game and say (360)?

I'd love to see a screenshot of some examples of that if anybody knows of any.

It would look like it does for any other person playing a game on 360 - which for example would look like
Mr Greencastle
Mass Effect (Xbox 360)

Right now it says ??? (Xbox 360) for some games, but I'm sure that's just a preview thing.

Synth

Racing games have a LOT of problems with licensing. The need to be realistic hamstrings how long the games can be sold, just based off of how licensing the real cars works

I don't imagine this would be much of an issue for PGR. MS also publishes Forza, and I don't think there would be many vehicles PGR has that Forza doesn't already cover. If anything I'd expect all that licensed music to be a bigger problem.

Can another account play Xbox 360 games of the main account?

Yes. Game sharing works, too (at least in the preview) - as in, if I'm logged into a friend's Xbox One console I can play my digital 360 games, or of course pop in the disc and it'll do it's thing and play.

The interesting bit here is what I do with my younger brother who lives across town. I set up his Xbox One as my "Home" console, which means every account on that console can play my Xbox One and digital 360 titles, even if I'm not logged in. Meanwhile, MY console at home will let me play any of my Xbox One or 360 titles as well, so long as I'm logged in on my gamertag. Each digital title effectively comes with 2 licenses as they can both be played at the same time. It's pretty cool.

shandy706

This^^

It is probably the smartest thing MS has done with the XB1 yet, but it appears to be extremely limited. At least they can market "Its backwards compatible", even though odds are the games you want to play won't work.

And much like their marketing of AR headset HoloLens: "Play Minecraft on your XB1 in AR on your coffee table". Admittedly it looks cool, but they don't point out you need a Windows 10 PC to plug the HoloLens into as well.

2 points.

One - BC is in the beta/testing phase and they plan on bringing hundreds of games to it. Most likely a lot we do want to play. It hasn't even been launched yet.

Two - Hololens is standalone. Minecraft for Hololense doesn't require other hardware.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

Was it recompilation?

Seen how they're pushing for smart recompilation with the iOS\Android apps recompiling to WPhone, i guess it is!

Syriel

Yes, the only thing that doesn't work is Gold membership.

You mean Gold sharing. Gold works.

But that's because Gold sharing is XBO only. It's not supported on a real X360 so it's not supported on the virtual X360.

Was it recompilation?

Seen how they're pushing for smart recompilation with the iOS\Android apps recompiling to WPhone, i guess it is!

Considering:

1) No one from MS has ever said these are ports
2) The person you quoting said that MS decided not to go the source code -> port route

Why would you suddenly decide THEY MUST BE PORTS?

Everything claimed so far is that this is emulation and there has been nothing to contradict that.

You mean Gold sharing. Gold works.

But that's because Gold sharing is XBO only. It's not supported on a real X360 so it's not supported on the virtual X360.

Considering:

1) No one from MS has ever said these are ports
2) The person you quoting said that MS decided not to go the source code -> port route

Why would you suddenly decide THEY MUST BE PORTS?

Everything claimed so far is that this is emulation and there has been nothing to contradict that.

Darn. I hope they change this eventually.

Was it recompilation?

I guess it really is hard to believe. No it is not recompiled. The games run in an emulator of Xbox 360 hardware layer. That's how things like multiplayer with people playing on 360 work out of the box. Was playing battleblock theatre MP this morning. Worked great.

Top Bottom