• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you

TheD

The Detective
From what mods have commented on, there were a bunch in the last two junior intakes. It must have been like Whack-A-Mole during contentious news times during last year for them.

I wish the signup form would redirect to this when it sees one of the marketing email addresses.

astroqlup2.png

I really wish he made that thread :(

DieH@rd

Banned
Even if MS is able to do this INCREDIBLY SHITTY thing, I cant believe that Machinima accepted it and offered this deal to their partners.

Will Machinima defend them if UK/EU/US law start to bring the hammer down on them? The fuck they will.

PJV3

Useless wankers, there was a time when MS were good at being nefarious.
You can't rely on anything anymore.

Sneds

Jeff Green predicted something like this happening on a podcast. You tubers have no real accountability or recognised standards if professional behaviour.

Chobel

I don't see how they're hiding it when they need to tag the videos with XBM13 or whatever it is. There's no way I'd take those videos seriously though.

Usually no one looks at tags, and even if someone saw it he'll probably won't know what it means. And of course you can't see tags now in youtube.

He already had an avatar of him sleeping with it.

After all the DRM nonsense came out, masses of juniors were defending the policies hard. Bish checked all the accounts and a bunch of them were paid astroturfers.

Whats there to explain? Bish went on a mole hunt and napalmed the whole tunnel network.

Thanks.

And sweet jesus, holy shit. I mean.... wow.

the Video Games industry is fucking nuts.

KageMaru

Wow at this news. If they would just work to directly promote and improve their console, they wouldn't be looking like idiots right now. This is a new low in marketing.

I don't think he would have had a story without the agreement to be perfectly honest, it was the final piece of the puzzle and I feel for him because it was the only aspect that made the difference between a lame story that was premature and a proper scoop, but at least he was considering it, and that deserves recognition, I feel for you Jason, such is the life of press huh? :p

I just like Jason, and I wanted him to "break" this story. He was in here when it originally broke, people were really wanting him to run with it, but I agree. He didn't have the "Guidelines for the assignment!"

I just felt like he would have been perfect to blow this up. Maybe the fact that so many people were incensed about this story, and so many were asking him to write about it, could be part of HIS story he is writing. The fact that this was something that people really wanted him to do, and there was no ignoring it, its just THAT BIG of a story.

Ruprit

So Major Nelson's statement about positivity was just a lead-up to him posting YouTube videos that painted Xbox One in a positive light?

KoopaTheCasual

Usually no one looks at tags, and even if someone saw it he'll probably won't know what it means. And of course you can't see tags now in youtube.
Woah woah woah, what? Is that with the new update? If that's the case, that makes it pretty hard for this to be legal, now.

This just seems so unbelievably stupid. There's no way this wouldn't eventually see the light of day and now it calls into question any legitimate positive feedback. Such a bone-headed move.

joecanada

I'm not even worried.. You can spot the moneyhats a mile away they aren't even good at hiding their bias at all... So now I'll just be expecting it on machinima, no biggie. I'll be avoiding

Hope others do the same

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I honestly don't get the uproar about this. Someone explain to me what the difference between this and, for example, paying for celebrity endorsement is?

The difference is that a paid celebrity endorsement is disclosed. MS specifically told them NOT to tell anybody they were getting paid. Violation.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I am waiting for the Polygon story about this................

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/20/5327814/report-microsoft-paying-youtube-producers-xbox-one-machinima

Tick tock.

http://kotaku.com/sketchy-promo-plan-pays-youtubers-for-positive-xbox-one-1505260408

Of course Gies and Kuchera are against this. This effectively makes them middlemen.

Why should I bribe the expensive, jaded, cynical, ineffectual "enthusiast press" when I can pay a bunch of internet hypemen THREE WHOLE DOLLARS and they'll do whatever I say?

Oh, yes, please think about the REAL press!

FHIYpSe.gif

KAL2006

Banned
Microsoft are scum, from Windows 8 to Kinect shit on 360, to DRM to lieing PR to £430 Xbox One to now bribing. Fuck them I am not giving them any money, lucky TitanFall is coming to PC, and to people who don't have a PC wait for inevitable TitanFall 2 sequel which would likely be multiplatform.

Okay I need to calm down, but you get the picture I am glad I switched from 360 after my second RROD.

Nah... I'm actually am sort of upset, not at the tag, I don't mind being tagged too much, but I will be a little upset if this kills any chances at me having discussion on GAF. I don't want any discussions I try to have with another member end with them tag-quoting me. I'd hate that. :p I don't see it too often, but I have seen it, and I just hope it doesn't happen to me.

But yeah, I see this as a mark of shame. :p

Lol! I used that as my GAF avatar for the first half of Real Pic January. It's a parody of Nathan Fillion's tweet of him and his PS4 in bed. :p Word for word, "Dear PS4... Last week was dope."

derFeef

He has no problem with something that is likely illegal, and if not illegal, is shady as all hell.

Besides, it's a tag. They're supposed to poke fun.

All fair and good, but I think he got enough exposure - this can get dangerous pretty fast on the internet.

Iacobellis

What I don't understand is why Microsoft is having trouble facing competition from Sony? They let the PS2 kick their ass without having all this negative buzz go around.

rrs

I don't think he would have had a story without the agreement to be perfectly honest, it was the final piece of the puzzle and I feel for him because it was the only aspect that made the difference between a lame story that was premature and a proper scoop, but at least he was considering it, and that deserves recognition, I feel for you Jason, such is the life of press huh? :p

Yeah, the contract took this from Microsoft sponsoring some positive spin (with disclosure, etc) to Microsoft making law breaking contracts.

I wish the signup form would redirect to this when it sees one of the marketing email addresses.

Bish said something to the effect of any email is ok to register with and that blocking marketing emails is bad/not a solution.

What I don't understand is why Microsoft is having trouble facing competition from Sony? They let the PS2 kick their ass without having all this negative buzz go around.

The PS2 steamrolled everything in hype, and the Xbox was out too late to do anything.

Nah... I'm actually am sort of upset, not at the tag, I don't mind being tagged too much, but I will be a little upset if this kills any chances at me having discussion on GAF. I don't want any discussions I try to have with another member end with them tag-quoting me. I'd hate that. :p I don't see it too often, but I have seen it, and I just hope it doesn't happen to me.

But yeah, I see this as a mark of shame. :p
Last month was so dope.

Top Bottom