• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you

Chobel

I copied this from reddit
TOO LONG DONT WANT TO READ: Check the links below. we get these promotional emails ALL THE TIME. And a few well known people have acted on these promotions before because they've been LESS scummy than the Xbox One promotion.
This turns into a bit of a rant, sorry

I've been a Machinima partner for just over a year now, I signed a 3 year contract with them because I am stupid. I do want out of this contract but honestly have no idea how I would get myself out of it. You can probably guess why I want out. I don't like the company.

Now moving onto the point of this post.
If you think this whole "advertise for us and get more money" business with machinima and other companies is new..

5JAN558.png

It's really not. Now most of those are for conventions. here's a screenshot of the E3 one

jUNKIHJ.png

As you can see in this email, it says we are to put in the description that we are getting a small monetary bonus. The problem is it doesn't specify where in the description to put it, so it can easily be put at the bottom where nobody will read it. Which i'm guessing happened with a lot of the videos that were posted as part of this promotion
Oh and what's that... the person with the most views gets a $5000 bonus...
Okay, so reward the people earning the most money from your scheme with more money. Okay that seems fair. [End Sarcasm]

Surely the best thing to do would be reward the BEST video with the bonus?
a quick youtube search of "E3M13" brings up 1,600,000 results. That's one million, six hundred thousand. Okay so maybe going through each video by hand and picking the best would take literally years. But i'm still thinking that the person with the most views shouldn't get the bonus

Just on this first page i see 2 "popular" youtube personalities. "Ali-A" (youtube.com/Matroix) and "IHasCupquake" who both have 1,000,000+ views on their "E3M13" videos

Now i don't know how much money these guys make (Hell i make less than $1 a month from youtube) but these guys make DAILY videos that get well over 100,000 views PER VIDEO.

Ali-A's "E3M13" video got nearly 2 million views alone, which i'm guessing is the most viewed video of that promotion. and i'm guessing that he got the $5000 Bonus from that promotion. which in my opinion. Is complete and utter bullshit
(this has turned into a bit of a rant hasn't it, here's another email we got about promoting the XBOne)

N1w7sX1.png

Notice how in this promotion and in the current XBOne promotion. we only have to tag our video "XB1M13", No description, no "put this in the title of the video", just add that as a tag and get some easy money. Basically. we get these emails all the time. It's nothing new, but thanks, person on the internet, for bringing this to light.

DTKT

Why do they keep deleting their tweets and twitter accounts? What do they think is going to happen? Everyone is going to forget?

Well let me start of with my apologies if that's the case, I hadn't read your prior posts on this matter...

Now with that said, you keep saying we are speculating... what are speculating about? Since Machinima comes out and basically says "my bad, we done fucked it up, don't look anywhere else into this matter, pretty please... please?" we are now suddenly speculating if we involve MS? That's where I feel you are being dismissive and not using this information as what it really is, the light that has shined upon the entities that see fit to influence the public with bribes to youtubers from the darkness of NDAs. Again, that's nice you see it's a fucked up practice, but you seem to think this thought of "let's be objective as humanly possible" is actually being objective. MS doesn't get the benefit of the doubt on this one, plain and simple.

It's okay.

I meant specifically as to who was the one who added the guidelines. We'll never know which side is to blame for this because all we'll get from here on out is PR mania. If you feel MS still deserves to be destroyed for this matter as well, so be it. Give them hell because there is a chance that they were involved. Me personally, I'd be more interested in giving hell to whoever has come out and said that they added the guidelines, which is Machinima. I see your point, though.

Update with another quote from Microsoft at Game Informer.

"Microsoft was not aware of individual contracts Machinima had with their content providers as part of this promotion and we didn’t provide feedback on any of the videos," a Microsoft representative told us via email. "We have asked Machinima to not post any additional Xbox One content as part of this media buy and we have asked them to add disclaimers to the videos that were part of this program indicating they were part of paid advertising.”
Microsoft: Champion of the People™

It's okay.

I meant specifically as to who was the one who added the guidelines. We'll never know which side is to blame for this because all we'll get from here on out is PR mania. If you feel MS still deserves to be destroyed for this matter as well, so be it. Give them hell because there is a chance that they were involved. Me personally, I'd be more interested in giving hell to whoever has come out and said that they added the guidelines, which is Machinima. I see your point, though.

I think it's quite the fair assessment to assume MS was involved with that clause in the NDA after it's been proven machinima has other NDAs without having that stipulation, and required disclosure on top of that. So to suddenly not have it when MS shows up for an ad buy, and to assume they weren't involved is just something that cannot be sugar coated or swept under the rug under the guise of impartiality. I'll tell you what tho, I sure as shit will give them hell until they don't deserve it... and I don't see them not deserving it anytime soon, tbh.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
ohh man, haha, word in certain circles is this is kind of stirring up a storm and getting people questioning things. interesting.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
And you are?

Read his tag.

*gets popcorn*

I'm telling you, PR and a Bad Press Day like this has been doesn't happen without repercussions.

Sneds

I was waiting for it to work on my end before adding to the OP

Just a retread though?

Basically a retread of his neogaf posts.

He believes MS's statement that they didn't know the details of the campaign. Maybe a few people at MS knew but probably not those high up.

He says that there isn't a problem with ads on YouTube or product endorsement but that Youtubers need to be upfront and honest about it.

He holds Machinima most responsible and thinks people should be mad at them.

atomsk

Party Pooper

He believes MS's statement that they didn't know the details of the campaign. Maybe a few people at MS knew but probably not those high up.

He says that there isn't a problem with ads on YouTube or product endorsement but that Youtubers need to be upfront and honest about it.

Ah alright, I'm trying not to clutter up the OP anymore than I have to, at some point I'm going to reach the character limit.

Neogaf is going to get someone else fired.

again

I mean, looking at that reddit post, it seems like Machinima does this sort of thing a lot..

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I mean, looking at that reddit post, it seems like Machinima does this sort of thing a lot..

Did you actually read the reddit post.

He says that yes, Machinima does this a lot, but that disclosure is part of those deals, and disclosure was not part of this deal.

Osiris

Revven

Did you actually read the reddit post.

He says that yes, Machinima does this a lot, but that disclosure is part of those deals, and disclosure was not part of this deal.

Yeah, this is what the reddit post boils down to really. And the tag XB1M13 or whatever discloses nothing to the general viewer of any content creator so they definitely can't use that tag as a safety measure to say that the promotion was disclosed to the viewer.

Osiris

Pleaseee dont do this...we all want to know.

Want or not, when someone says 'too hot' in a topic like this, and has confirmed connections, you know they are not talking about broken air con. :p

That one post alone tells you a lot ;P

pixlexic

Banned
I think the craziest thing in this thread are people clamoring for federal regulations on you tube bloggers.

These are not real companies. .. They are just people with a camera and/or mic.

I am not sure if the actual NDA has been revealed yet, but I just saw this on reddit.
Not sure how much truth there is to it, if the NDA is out there I guess people could check.

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1vsstr/i_was_part_of_the_machinima_xbox_program/

"People are missing something key here. The NDA we signed said nothing about us not being able to say we are being sponsored by so and so or talk about the existence of the program itself.. all it said for us was that we cant talk about how much we were making or specific details of the agreements."

Osiris

I think the craziest thing in this thread are people clamoring for federal regulations on you tube bloggers.

That excuse went out of the windows when they started monetizing their Youtube channels.

Skeff

I think the majority of the requests for FTC interventions are for them to step in and punish MS and machinima, which is what they've done in the past with the mommy bloggers and the guitar tutorials.

The FTC is a government agency and it doesn't look good to fine the Youtubers who were forced into it by the big mean companies. Fining Microsoft however does look good for the FTC.

I am not sure if the actual NDA has been revealed yet, but I just saw this on reddit.
Not sure how much truth there is to it, if the NDA is out there I guess people could check.

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1vsstr/i_was_part_of_the_machinima_xbox_program/

"People are missing something key here. The NDA we signed said nothing about us not being able to say we are being sponsored by so and so or talk about the existence of the program itself.. all it said for us was that we cant talk about how much we were making or specific details of the agreements."
Isn't that just some random guy? Where's the proof? If I make a post on reddit saying the opposite, will you cite me?

Edit: Also, all of that guys posts have been in the xbox one subreddit.

Top Bottom