• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you

nib95

Banned
Machinima + PAX = Disclosure
Machinima + E3 = Disclosure
Machinima + Comic-Con = Disclosure
Machinima + Xbox = Non-disclosure

Yeah I'm not buying that Machinima randomly decided to put that clause in without Microsoft saying anything

Oh wow, how did that happen. Whoops! That entire well written, legalese orientated non-discoosure agreement must have just slipped inside accidentally. No Microsoft did not ask us to put it there, we just decided to add it unbeknowingly and randomly at no benefit to ourselves, just for the hell of it!

nib95

Banned
I'm pretty sure EA had non-disclosure too

Which makes it even more suspicious, since EA and Microsoft are in pretty tight partnership right now, and I'd not be surprised if they've tried something similar with TitanFall. Should be noted that the EA non-disclosure with the promotion is direct from EA themselves and not via Machinima.

panda-zebra

The only other possible answer I can think of - which seems far less likely - is that they enforced it themselves because they didn't want people to know they were associating with Microsoft. That would be absolutely hilarious if it were the case, but I seriously doubt they decided to break the law and risk an enormous public backlash against their entire business model just because they were worried people might think they were in bed with Microsoft.

hohoho, now I almost want that to be the case for sheer jollies.

It's very low, especially with the cap put on payouts. The likely case is that Machinima themselves made far more - likely as a lump sum payment for the promise of a certain quantity of media, rather than in CPM form - and decided that passing whatever smaller percentage of that payment on to the content creators in this way was their best method for achieving the required media presence.

So, you might have had a situation where Microsoft said, "Machinima, here's $10,000,000," and Machinima (or to be more accurate in this case, Poptent) said, "If we pay out a paltry $3 CPM we can probably still hit the quota pretty easily due to all the rabid X-Box fans in our partners list. Just cap it off nice and low so we aren't overpaying."

Thanks for this. I don't really know much of the specifics on how these MCM's work, so it's interesting every time I read a post that peels back the layers a bit.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
MhBoWw2.png

I WONDER WHAT THAT IS
I've been trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I can't.

1. This is very common advertising technique
2. A rogue element of Machinima added that confidentiality provision
3. Stop the hate

I thought the Bosman summed it up pretty well
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/7j4yfw/the-final-bosman-xbox-friends-with-benefits

fade_

I've been trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I can't.

1. This is very common advertising technique
2. A rogue element of Machinima added that confidentiality provision
3. Stop the hate

I thought the Bosman summed it up pretty well
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/7j4yfw/the-final-bosman-xbox-friends-with-benefits

Here is a link where you can ask Sessler a question

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/onair/watch?hid=hoaevent/cru62huc874to7cf3ffqqebn36o&hl=en&t=0

I've asked this question:
Just to clear the air here. Have you Adam or anyone at Rev3 games ever been "paid to mention" a game or product without disclosing that it is paid for? Have you ever been contractually bound to not say anything negative about a game or product?

If you guys could +1 so we can get him to answer it I'd appreciate it.

It'll be interesting to see if TotalBiscuit steps down from the moral high ground to meet Sessler, as he's somewhat wont to do in face-to-face rather than vlog situations. He pretty unmistakably came out in opposition to this in his own video, so if he sticks to his guns he should be butting heads with Sessler.

Well, this got interesting:

K0jbULd.png

wrWAz64.png
That is indeed interesting...

I feel like his credibility is in the crapper, and I think her feels that way as well, so maybe he might use this moment to break out of his predicament and try to reclaim the reputation he earned that commanded respect in the industry.

One can hope...

QaaQer

Um, it's obvious Sessler made a deal with MS, so painfully obvious, but most people would call me crazy or be ignorant to it. It's part of the industry and the dude needs steady income.

Also, when you reach his age and have a family, you start looking to get into PR. MS pays well.

GobFather

I thought this was a good article from computerworld:
Source: http://blogs.computerworld.com/gov039t-legislationregulation/23423/microsoft-kills-stealth-xbox-marketing-campaign-was-ftc-its-tail

Yesterday Microsoft pooh-poohed any hint that there was anything wrong with the secret campaign, telling ars technica in part:

"This partnership between Machinima and Microsoft was a typical marketing partnership..."
But then hours later, Microsoft backed off, claiming that it didn't know about the marketing campaign, and killing it. The company told GeekWire:

"Microsoft was not aware of individual contracts Machinima had with their content providers as part of this promotion and we didn’t provide feedback on any of the videos. We have asked Machinima to not post any additional Xbox One content as part of this media buy and we have asked them to add disclaimers to the videos that were part of this program indicating they were part of paid advertising."
That's the exact opposite of what the company first said. First it claimed that the partnership was a "typical" one, but then later said it "was not aware of individual contracts Machinima had with their content providers as part of this promotion." How could it say the partnership was a typical one if it wasn't aware of the contracts?

By having Machinima add disclaimers to the videos saying they are part of paid advertising, Microsoft is complying with FTC guidelines, the very guidelines it initially said it hadn't violated.

So what happened? The FTC may well have been on Microsoft's tail, asking for materials related to the campaign.
And if not, you can be sure that Microsoft's lawyers were on the company's tail, because the partnership seemed a clear violation of FTC guidelines.

No matter what happened, though, Microsoft didn't cover itself in roses with this one. Its initial response to the revelation was flat-out wrong, even if it did eventually do the right thing by pulling the campaign and offering full disclosure.

I tried to go to Rev3's site in anticipation for Address the Sess and this is what I get:

jKi74E2.jpg

What a fucking surprise.
I will turn it off for this, I guess

Last Hope

This is hilarious how MS is now shocked at the contract after everyone jumped on the MS hate band wagon.

If there was no outrage, MS wouldn't have cared.

Top Bottom