• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

Gestault

I've ended up with both physical and digital copies over time, and maaaan, I hope they add Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia to BC. Those are stories I really got into, for various reasons.

Both games on sale for $3.74/ea (with Gold) right now is the craziest deal for more traditional JRPGs.

Gorki247

What would you guys say are the Top 5 COD games to get looking at the campaign only? Not interested in the multiplayer side.

Dervius

What would you guys say are the Top 5 COD games to get looking at the campaign only? Not interested in the multiplayer side.

Not in any oarticular order but probably:

Modern Warfare (1 and 2)
Black Ops
Advanced Warfare (my favourite sp)
Infinite Warfare

for campaigns

Modern Warfare
Call of Duty 2
Blacks Ops 1
Infinite Warfare
toss up between World at War or Advanced Warfare WaW has Keifer, AW has Spacey)

The only one that is absolutely terrible is Blops III. CoD3 and Ghosts are merely meh by comparison

kuYuri

Infinite Warfare at the top, not even close. Everything else is below that, order doesn't matter.

Advanced Warfare
Black Ops II
Modern Warfare 3
Modern Warfare 2

Toa TAK

Banned
Yeah, I say it's harder to pick out the COD campaigns that are bad or mediocre.

If you avoid BOIII's campaign, Ghosts, and COD3, you're bound to have fun with the rest.

DOWN

Banned
At what point do we think they’ll give up on BC? How long did they keep adding original Xbox games to the 360 Disc Play BC list?

Also I’m mildly confused as to why they can’t just make the Scorpio have a blunt emulator with all that power that can simply play the discs of 360 on it the way PS3 and PS2 can play any PS1 discs?

faridmon

Ghosts campaign is still terrible, but it's saved from being remembered as the worst because Black Ops III's campaign is a crime to the series itself.

Source: I replayed Ghosts yesterday :p

Ghost's campaign wasn't all that bad, at least from I remember. It is somewhat of an entertaining father and son story if you turn your brain off.

But Black Ops 3? Talk about going from having one of the best campaign lines in the series (BO and especially Blops 2) to flat out garbage.

Like I don't even know how you can mess up that badly.

Yeah, I actually kind of liked Ghost's SP, untill the end bit of it. Man what a loads of nothing.

BO3 SP though, a crime against humanity

Also I’m mildly confused as to why they can’t just make the Scorpio have a blunt emulator with all that power that can simply play the discs of 360 on it the way PS3 and PS2 can play any PS1 discs?

They presumably want the revenue from new digital sales. This means all BC titles need clean licensing. As long as the BC works by downloading fresh game images that probably also means the games need current licensing regardless of whether you use a disk as a key. Makes stuff like JSRF and Outrun highly problematic.

FyreWulff

At what point do we think they’ll give up on BC? How long did they keep adding original Xbox games to the 360 Disc Play BC list?

not enough of a CPU bump, also all the tech is invested in their pre-bake method at this point, and also they want an air-gap between the 360/OXbox side and the One side.

Keinning

Vastly different consoles, not that easy to put without some costs involved and people were already bitchy about 499$

That would also mean no licensing so games wouldnt be avaliable to be bought in the marketplace by those who didnt had them before. And that's a no-no for me, its basically impossible to get old physical games in my country so i'm up for everything being avaliable digital as well.

Rosur2a

They presumably want the revenue from new digital sales. This means all BC titles need clean licensing. As long as the BC works by downloading fresh game images that probably also means the games need current licensing regardless of whether you use a disk as a key. Makes stuff like JSRF and Outrun highly problematic.

Guess that's probably why Burnout Xbox 360 games haven't been made BC yet (due to the music licencing required).

Chris1

At what point do we think they'll give up on BC?

I reckon they'll just keep adding until they have no more games that they can add. Then after that they will probably just keep pestering publishers to allow games that they didn't get permission for and adding more incentives like GWG and Game Pass to persuade them.

I think a lot of people expected them to give up after about a year or so, they've really done a home run with the program and doubled down on it even more recently with OG BC. Since they've came this far I think they will see it all the way through now.

Oemenia

Banned
not enough of a CPU bump, also all the tech is invested in their pre-bake method at this point, and also they want an air-gap between the 360/OXbox side and the One side.
I get that they have to do so for the 360 but the One is more than powerful enough to emulate the OG XBOX on the fly (or even near-native/HLE it).

So why do they insist on baking it on their end when it means they have license it all again.

Chris1

I get that they have to do so for the 360 but the One is more than powerful enough to emulate the OG XBOX on the fly (or even near-native/HLE it).

So why do they insist on baking it on their end when it means they have license it all again.
Probably because the 360 emulator was done so they could copy a lot of it, and also OG Xbox had nvidia licensing fees to pay (that's why support was dropped on 360), this could be a way to avoid that but not sure

Fox Mulder

For racing (and other) games where the issue is the licensed soundtrack rather than the cars or whatever, I wonder if they have considered just taking the music out and releasing it like that. For racing games at least, I am sure I am not alone in regularly turning off the music anyway so that you just hear the car sounds.

The games would still have to be patched for that, and that's not what BC is doing.

Wil348

One game that I really want to see come to BC is Sonic Generations. I'm shocked that Sonic 4 made it on there before it.

FyreWulff

goes back to the airgap. Anyone can make Xbox code, and figuring out how to get a One to read a special made disc would be a way into breakout out of the BC mode into the rest of the system.

By making it download, you can only ever run Xbox code that Microsoft has vetted and accounted for.

I mean, this is the company that requires PDP to make a hardware USB sandbox adapter for Rock Band because they're so paranoid about 360 USB devices being used as an entry point. (On PS4 you can just plug in PS3 and PS2 wired USB Rock Band instruments directly into the console)

FyreWulff

Surprised to see so few people asking for Viva Piñata & Trouble in Paradise to be BC!

The two games that you state in this post are already part of the program and were included on the collective disc of Rare software titles that encouraged people to Replay them for the Xbox One, all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft

OrangeOak

Give me Ninja Gaiden 2 and The Darkness MS, please!
I would love to replay The Darkness once again and continue my NG2 playthrough on master ninja.

Estocolmo

?
Because they already are?

They've been on the BC list forever and both are part of Rare Replay.

Presumably because they have been BC since June 2015

Aren't they already available ? I played them on Xbox one...

The two games that you state in this post are already part of the program and were included on the collective disc of Rare software titles that encouraged people to Replay them for the Xbox One, all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft

Those titles already are BC.

Edit: What they said.

Saw that now, didnt know they were BC. Many replies :)

Figments

You guys talk as if Modern Warfare 3's campaign was meant to stand on its own. It's the final chapter in a three part storyline--why the hell would it stand on its own?

It was a great conclusion to a trilogy of games, and that's what it was meant to be. Not its own standalone thing.

Oemenia

Banned
goes back to the airgap. Anyone can make Xbox code, and figuring out how to get a One to read a special made disc would be a way into breakout out of the BC mode into the rest of the system.

By making it download, you can only ever run Xbox code that Microsoft has vetted and accounted for.

I mean, this is the company that requires PDP to make a hardware USB sandbox adapter for Rock Band because they're so paranoid about 360 USB devices being used as an entry point. (On PS4 you can just plug in PS3 and PS2 wired USB Rock Band instruments directly into the console)
Interesting. Still though, the One can't read non-signed discs so why would they worry so much? Also with 360 emulation they virtualise the entire system whereas with OG XBOX they could just run the thing entirely within the One's infrastructure.

Zenner

Anyone able unable log in to xbox live on backwards compatibility? I keep getting an error when I try to login to my account!

If you have 2FA enabled on your MS account, you need to generate an App Password on the MS site (under Security) and log into 360 games with that; not the same password as your main MS account.

Is that the issue, or was everything just working fine and the system's down now? :)

DOWN

Banned
So the reason some discs will be locked to 360 forever instead of having true BC a la PS1 discs will likely be because of politics and priorities?

Cranster

Banned
If you have 2FA enabled on your MS account, you need to generate an App Password on the MS site (under Security) and log into 360 games with that; not the same password as your main MS account.

Is that the issue, or was everything just working fine and the system's down now? :)
It seems like it's down according to xbox.com.

Limited
Xbox 360 : MYTF1

6/14/2017, 6:24:16 PM
Latest update:
Hello Xbox members, we’re currently experiencing an issue. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please check back for updates.

Tried playing Kane and lynch 2 yesterday and holy jesus this may honestly be the worst game I've ever played. I noped out in the second level. Horrid nonsense.

Anybody know how Sony pulled off licensing issues when they had the entire PS1 library back compat on the PS2, that goes for the first PS3 model too with the built in PS2.

How did they get a green light to let all these games be played on a new platform entirely without hitting licensing issues?

These days I'm guessing what stops Microsoft from just allowing lots more BC games is because of licensing. Or could they have slapped a 360 hardware board inside the Xbox One and just got away with it?

CRAIG667

I've not seen anyone mention L.A Noire, I'd like to get that on XB1, I've owned it digitally for years but not got around to playing it.

As for OG I want to get the live and reloaded version of Conker, by far the best version IMO.

Top Bottom