• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

DOWN

Banned
Anybody know how Sony pulled off licensing issues when they had the entire PS1 library back compat on the PS2, that goes for the first PS3 model too with the built in PS2.

How did they get a green light to let all these games be played on a new platform entirely without hitting licensing issues?

These days I'm guessing what stops Microsoft from just allowing lots more BC games is because of licensing. Or cold they have slapped a 360 hardware board inside the Xbox One and just got away with it?
You're forgetting nintendo did it every single gen until they changed formats for Switch, and they had games from every major publisher involved there

I don't buy that there is a licensing issue that requires them to get permission to play physical last gen games on current consoles

I think this seems like a Digital issue only and that there's no real reason Scorpio couldn't play any Xbox Original disc or that Xbox 4 couldn't play every 360 disc.

What changed between last gen and this gen that consoles could play any disc from previous gen, but now they never will again?

Anybody know how Sony pulled off licensing issues when they had the entire PS1 library back compat on the PS2, that goes for the first PS3 model too with the built in PS2.

How did they get a green light to let all these games be played on a new platform entirely without hitting licensing issues?

These days I'm guessing what stops Microsoft from just allowing lots more BC games is because of licensing. Or cold they have slapped a 360 hardware board inside the Xbox One and just got away with it?

Sony didn't have to deal with licensing issues and whatnot for PS1 backwards compatibility because they weren't redistributing PS1 games. They were playing directly off of the disc, which means no publisher consent is required for anything. Microsoft's solution for Xbox 360 support necessitates downloading the entire game, for which the disc only acts as a license for the end user. Since MS is technically redistributing the game, they need the go-ahead from the publishers, and any licensing agreements with the original game must still be in order, since technically these are new releases from a legal standpoint.

As for "what changed", it's not that anything in specific changed, it's that inherently just about everything with BC is case-by-case. You can't really cross-compare implementations from different consoles from different generations for playback on further different consoles, because everything is different. In the case of PS1 playback, it's relatively trivial to create a reliably accurate emulator that will support most/all titles, especially on a console 2 generations removed. Meanwhile Xbox 360 emulation is orders of magnitude more complex (most people, knowledgeable people, didn't believe it was physically possible to emulate 360 on X1) and requires numerous per-game enhancements to the emulator. They have emulation down perfectly on a few hundred games now, but the remaining games are likely to have varying degrees of issues. Hence why they need to stick with the staggered roll-out approach, to ensure no one's encountering potentially severe emulation issues.

Now, when in comes to why MS's implementation requires the entire games to be redistributed, instead of blacklisting unsupported titles (or rather whitelisting supported titles, as they did with OG Xbox on 360), I could only guess, since I'm not really aware of what's going on behind the scenes, but it could be the nature of how Xbox 360 software interacts with the OS and how on 360 (I believe) there were abstraction layers between the game software and the hardware that necessitates the software being packaged with the emulator in a very specific way. Again though, that's a guess.

And yes, MS could throw the Xbox 360 hardware into an Xbox One, but that would add a good bit of cost and complexity (and likely size) to the console, and thus would be unlikely to happen.

(plus, unless they added in a 360 SoC and played the games off of that, they'd likely run worse than they do now on BC, unless they were to increase the clock speed as well)

You're forgetting nintendo did it every single gen until they changed formats for Switch, and they had games from every major publisher involved there

I don't buy that there is a licensing issue that requires them to get permission to play physical last gen games on current consoles

I think this seems like a Digital issue only and that there's no real reason Scorpio couldn't play any Xbox Original disc or that Xbox 4 couldn't play every 360 disc.

Nintendo didn't do it every single gen. The SNES, N64, and GameCube all lacked backwards compatibility, and the Wii U lacks GameCube support despite hardware capable of it.

Nintendo's BC implementations are different anyway. In most cases their BC support was a side-effect of their hardware, as they've always had full hardware-based backwards compatibility, with no emulation, just proper native playback. That is because the GCN, Wii, and Wii U all use custom PowerPC processors, each built off of their predecessor, meaning the hardware is inherently compatible (which is why a modded Wii U can play any GCN game perfectly). Similarly, the GBA, DS, and 3DS all use ARM processors (with the GBA's exact chip being used as a supplemental processor for the DS). The GBA is a bit of a unique case for Nintendo, as its GB/GBC compatibility necessitate the inclusion of their custom Z80 chip (the GB micro dropped this chip to cut down the size and cost, hence why it does not support playback of those games).

The reason the Switch isn't compatible with the Wii U isn't purely due the switch to game cards, as that wouldn't inherently prevent playback of digital games, but largely because Nintendo finally dropped their line of custom PowerPC chips they had been using since the GCN and moved over to a Tegra X1 SoC. Granted, even if the hardware were naturally compatible they'd still have to come up with a solution for the GamePad, and the Switch was intended to be a hard break from the Wii/Wii U anyway, so it's not necessarily likely they would have tried, but I digress.

Anyway, just like with PS1 playback, the reason Nintendo doesn't have to worry about licensing is because the games are being played back directly from the discs themselves, with no redistribution involved.

leburn98

Sony didn't have to deal with licensing issues and whatnot for PS1 backwards compatibility because they weren't redistributing PS1 games. They were playing directly off of the disc, which means no publisher consent is required for anything. Microsoft's solution for Xbox 360 support necessitates downloading the entire game, for which the disc only acts as a license for the end user. Since MS is technically redistributing the game, they need the go-ahead from the publishers, and any licensing agreements with the original game must still be in order, since technically these are new releases from a legal standpoint.

As for "what changed", it's not that anything in specific changed, it's that inherently just about everything with BC is case-by-case. You can't really cross-compare implementations from different consoles from different generations for playback on further different consoles, because everything is different. In the case of PS1 playback, it's relatively trivial to create a reliably accurate emulator that will support most/all titles, especially on a console 2 generations removed. Meanwhile Xbox 360 emulation is orders of magnitude more complex (most people, knowledgeable people, didn't believe it was physically possible to emulate 360 on X1) and requires numerous per-game enhancements to the emulator. They have emulation down perfectly on a few hundred games now, but the remaining games are likely to have varying degrees of issues. Hence why they need to stick with the staggered roll-out approach, to ensure no one's encountering potentially severe emulation issues.

Now, when in comes to why MS's implementation requires the entire games to be redistributed, instead of blacklisting unsupported titles (or rather whitelisting supported titles, as they did with OG Xbox on 360), I could only guess, since I'm not really aware of what's going on behind the scenes, but it could be the nature of how Xbox 360 software interacts with the OS and how on 360 (I believe) there were abstraction layers between the game software and the hardware that necessitates the software being packaged with the emulator in a very specific way. Again though, that's a guess.

And yes, MS could throw the Xbox 360 hardware into an Xbox One, but that would add a good bit of cost and complexity (and likely size) to the console, and thus would be unlikely to happen.

(plus, unless they added in a 360 SoC and played the games off of that, they'd likely run worse than they do now on BC, unless they were to increase the clock speed as well)

Nobody really knows how or why Microsoft chose the digital route for their backwards compatibility. Is it because they need to edit the games files in some way or is it something else? Assuming the original files are untouched, and it's the wrapper (360 OS in this case) that is modified or tweaked on a per game basis, I do not understand why Microsoft couldn't simply offer the modified wrapper as the digital download, then inject the files from the disc directly. This would avoid having to store a new copy of the game on the Xbox Live servers. Maybe there is something more to it.

Nintendo didn't do it every single gen. The SNES, N64, and GameCube all lacked backwards compatibility, and the Wii U lacks GameCube support despite hardware capable of it.

Nintendo's BC implementations are different anyway. In most cases their BC support was a side-effect of their hardware, as they've always had full hardware-based backwards compatibility, with no emulation, just proper native playback. That is because the GCN, Wii, and Wii U all use custom PowerPC processors, each built off of their predecessor, meaning the hardware is inherently compatible (which is why a modded Wii U can play any GCN game perfectly). Similarly, the GBA, DS, and 3DS all use ARM processors (with the GBA's exact chip being used as a supplemental processor for the DS). The GBA is a bit of a unique case for Nintendo, as its GB/GBC compatibility necessitate the inclusion of their custom Z80 chip (the GB micro dropped this chip to cut down the size and cost, hence why it does not support playback of those games).

The reason the Switch isn't compatible with the Wii U isn't purely due the switch to game cards, as that wouldn't inherently prevent playback of digital games, but largely because Nintendo finally dropped their line of custom PowerPC chips they had been using since the GCN and moved over to a Tegra X1 SoC. Granted, even if the hardware were naturally compatible they'd still have to come up with a solution for the GamePad, and the Switch was intended to be a hard break from the Wii/Wii U anyway, so it's not necessarily likely they would have tried, but I digress.

Anyway, just like with PS1 playback, the reason Nintendo doesn't have to worry about licensing is because the games are being played back directly from the discs themselves, with no redistribution involved.

Good answer and read, yeah I guess the digital redistrubtion is bringing up the license issues.

Nobody really knows how or why Microsoft chose the digital route for their backwards compatibility. Is it because they need to edit the games files in some way or is it something else? Assuming the original files are untouched, and it's the wrapper (360 OS in this case) that is modified or tweaked on a per game basis, I do not understand why Microsoft couldn't simply offer the modified wrapper as the digital download, then inject the files from the disc directly. This would avoid having to store a new copy of the game on the Xbox Live servers. Maybe there is something more to it.

Although they allow owners of physical to get a digital copy installed now, I'm guessing the BC program and re-licensing for digital is a longterm plan for when optical drives are removed from consoles all together. That day WILL come, it's just a matter of time.

Dehnus

Gosh, this really might be why I'd shell out some cash for an Xbox. Just to couch MP Kung Fu Chaos, Midtown Madness 3, PGR2 (splitscreen vs Online was sooo much fun in that one :)) and Fusion Frenzy :).

horkrux

They have to convert the game (PPC->x86-64) and repackage it. Unless they gave us the tools to do it ourselves (lol), digital redistribution is a necessity here.

borges

Banned
If you have 2FA enabled on your MS account, you need to generate an App Password on the MS site (under Security) and log into 360 games with that; not the same password as your main MS account.

Is that the issue, or was everything just working fine and the system's down now? :)

Thanks a LOT! I was having issues trying to log into 360 and this fixed my issue.

Would love to see some Ubisoft representation for the original Xbox support launch. Getting the original PoP trilogy early on would be fantastic.

Ravi_elite

Banned
is there a reason xbla games are largely ignored in this?

I want some dishwasher action
Always somebody to rub off that bad luck....because I totally want arcade games this week, or next week, or two weeks from now huh...yeah no I want my damn Saints Row 1 all the games suck on the Xbox one & and I want to play the game I love again, with the community I knew in 2006-10 kapeesh

This isnt't true to be fair. It's a pretty even split between the disc and digital games, all things considered. A lot of the best XBLA is already there or ported but just like the big games the 360 has so many good ones there will always be holes or feel like something is being pushed off despite the rights being there. I'm wondering why, for example, where is Meteos Wars? Lumines was there day one so it's odd that's missing. Just one example.

a.wd

This isnt't true to be fair. It's a pretty even split between the disc and digital games, all things considered. A lot of the best XBLA is already there or ported but just like the big games the 360 has so many good ones there will always be holes or feel like something is being pushed off despite the rights being there. I'm wondering why, for example, where is Meteos Wars? Lumines was there day one so it's odd that's missing. Just one example.

I know they have been releasing them, I just think that they would be able to get the XBLA arcade games (and the XNA games) out in very short order, and I am waiting for the massive dump one day when I will be swimming in games.

Actually I do like the way the rollout is going, I think they should just increase the rate slightly.

Keinning

I know they have been releasing them, I just think that they would be able to get the XBLA arcade games (and the XNA games) out in very short order, and I am waiting for the massive dump one day when I will be swimming in games.

that's just not correct, it's not a "press button to make BC" thing, if anything every game needs to be studied individually and having the emulator adapted to run them - of course smaller XBLA titles are bound to not be considered

shanafan

Actually I do like the way the rollout is going, I think they should just increase the rate slightly.

It's just not that easy. There are licensing fees that may be involved with certain titles. For example, Super Meat Boy was released for PS4. Vita and Wii U, but the music was changed because the agreement ended with the original artist. So, a new artist signed on and new music was made.

I understand that this was a paid release on the above systems, but similar situations may happen with select titles that may be roadblocks in releasing XBLA titles.

a.wd

that's just not correct, it's not a "press button to make BC" thing, if anything every game needs to be studied individually and having the emulator adapted to run them - of course smaller XBLA titles are bound to not be considered

I understand the process, and I am not criticising them for the effort, believe me. I just though that with XNA games especially they arent likely to be using licensed music, its built within a specific framework so there aren't likely to be many system level tricks used that the emulator is likely to fall over on, and if it is working with some of them then it would likely work with all (due to their simple nature, small size and simple structure).

Again I am not criticising the rollout, I was just wondering why the XBLA, and XNA games especially aren't shooting out at a higher rate.

CRZYSPZ

Might as well add:

Charlie Murder
Dust: An Elysian Tale
Sonic Adventure 1&2
Darthstalkers Resurrection
Dungeon Defenders
Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection
Puzzle Fighter II
Street Fighter III: Online Edition
Super Street Fighter II THD
Trials Evolution

And, just ones still installed on my 360:
Worms
Worms 2: Armageddon
Worms Ultimate Mayhem
Worms Revolution
RAW
Quake Arena Arcade
Anna
Alien Rage
Alien Breed 1-3

And I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty more that I own.

a.wd

Might as well add:

Charlie Murder
Sonic Adventure 1&2
Dungeon Defenders
Puzzle Fighter II
Trials Evolution

Worms
Worms Ultimate Mayhem
Worms Revolution
RAW
Quake Arena Arcade
Anna
Alien Rage
Alien Breed 1-3

Isnt the Dev for Dust a gaffer? Could he have some insights?

amdb00mer

Just a reminder that tomorrow is a holiday in the US. Don't expect any releases and probably not for Thursday either. I would like to be wrong, but would rather temper expectations.

rmatheso

Might as well add:

Charlie Murder
Sonic Adventure 1&2
Dungeon Defenders
Puzzle Fighter II
Trials Evolution

Worms
Worms Ultimate Mayhem
Worms Revolution
RAW
Quake Arena Arcade
Anna
Alien Rage
Alien Breed 1-3

Charlie Murder Dev said that he wanted his titles to go BC like a year ago.

Backlogger

Just a reminder that tomorrow is a holiday in the US. Don't expect any releases and probably not for Thursday either. I would like to be wrong, but would rather temper expectations.

Yeah, definitely not tomorrow and the way things have been going probably not Thursday either.

Oemenia

Banned
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but I am playing Far Cry 3 and the IQ seems to quite a bit cleaner than I remember. On the 360 it had the late-gen vaseline applied all over it.

Is the XBOX One better upscaling the image than the 360?

Lorul2

I asked this before but it was never answered (or I didn't see it). If the X1 emulation of the 360 is so good you can get to the 360 dashboard on some games. Why not use the 360's original xbox emulator for back compat on the X1. Four hundred plus games dropped by Xmas 2017. It has the hard drive, and what ever licensing deal they made w/Nvidia should still be possible. Even if they charged a one time fee (e.g $19.99) for Xbox 360's emulation of original Xbox games on the X1, I'm in.

Syriel

One of the core reasons is ecosystem integration.

By packaging each game separately, the title id can be easily exposed to the XBO OS which allows for it to treat the 360 game just like any XBO game.

All of the social stuff around titles (store pages, game hubs, streaming, etc.) wasn't built-in on earlier gens.

Just having an "emulator" would mean a lot of "Streaming Xbox 360 Emulator!" pop-ups rather than "Streaming Forza Horizon!"

Also, there would be no easy way to offer those games as seamless digital downloads. You'd have to buy the file, then manually load it into the emu, etc.

From a UI/UX perspective, MS made the right call.

FyreWulff

I asked this before but it was never answered (or I didn't see it). If the X1 emulation of the 360 is so good you can get to the 360 dashboard on some games. Why not use the 360's original xbox emulator for back compat on the X1. Four hundred plus games dropped by Xmas 2017. It has the hard drive, and what ever licensing deal they made w/Nvidia should still be possible. Even if they charged a one time fee (e.g $19.99) for Xbox 360's emulation of original Xbox games on the X1, I'm in.

By their own admission in interviews back in the day, the 360 OXbox emulator wasn't very well software engineered (they basically put it together by the seat of their pants until Halo 2 started running), was extremely fragile, and was damn near custom for every single game, and still had bugs, and also wasn't set up to interact with the 360 OS so it booted you completely off Live when you loaded into it.

A new OXbox emulator for the One would be better off since they'd have the lessons learned from before, and how emulating the entire OS/etc worked so well for them on the 360, so they'll probably do it that way this time around and would probably be more generic as an emulator so fixing stuff benefits all games and hopefully would have better accuracy. And of course, being able to interact with the Xbone OS with screenshots/video cap, being able to party chat while playing an OXbox game, rich presence while playing an OXbox game, etc.

edit: the phrase i'm looking for is "technical debt". the original OXbox emulator has too much technical debt.

Oemenia

Banned
By their own admission in interviews back in the day, the 360 OXbox emulator wasn't very well software engineered (they basically put it together by the seat of their pants until Halo 2 started running), was extremely fragile, and was damn near custom for every single game, and still had bugs, and also wasn't set up to interact with the 360 OS so it booted you completely off Live when you loaded into it.

A new OXbox emulator for the One would be better off since they'd have the lessons learned from before, and how emulating the entire OS/etc worked so well for them on the 360, so they'll probably do it that way this time around and would probably be more generic as an emulator so fixing stuff benefits all games and hopefully would have better accuracy. And of course, being able to interact with the Xbone OS with screenshots/video cap, being able to party chat while playing an OXbox game, rich presence while playing an OXbox game, etc.

edit: the phrase i'm looking for is "technical debt". the original OXbox emulator has too much technical debt.
OG XBOX emulation on 360 get a bad rep unfairly since most games actually look and run just fine, but yeah the quality certainly varies wildly. Do you a link for what you described?

Also, once the emulator was unlocked, it actually ran a lot more games than what was on the list.

DOWN

Banned
One of the core reasons is ecosystem integration.

By packaging each game separately, the title id can be easily exposed to the XBO OS which allows for it to treat the 360 game just like any XBO game.

All of the social stuff around titles (store pages, game hubs, streaming, etc.) wasn't built-in on earlier gens.

Just having an "emulator" would mean a lot of "Streaming Xbox 360 Emulator!" pop-ups rather than "Streaming Forza Horizon!"

Also, there would be no easy way to offer those games as seamless digital downloads. You'd have to buy the file, then manually load it into the emu, etc.

From a UI/UX perspective, MS made the right call.
This seems like a bad reason to not let all the discs work

OG XBOX emulation on 360 get a bad rep unfairly since most games actually look and run just fine, but yeah the quality certainly varies wildly. Do you a link for what you described?

Also, once the emulator was unlocked, it actually ran a lot more games than what was on the list.
It really does. 720p games look amazing, for example Tony Hawk's Underground 1 and 2 look fantastic on the 360 and play better with the pad. It definitely has some benefits but there are a lot of games that are just better on the stock hardware.

EmiPrime

OG Xbox BC on 360 was garbage especially for PAL gamers and it really highlighted the lack of care and testing that emulator received. PAL Panzer Dragoon Orta crashed without fail after level 3 and they never bothered to fix it, it was a disgrace that such easily replicable show stopping bugs were ignored.

The rap it gets is not unfair.

Oemenia

Banned
It really does. 720p games look amazing, for example Tony Hawk's Underground 1 and 2 look fantastic on the 360 and play better with the pad. It definitely has some benefits but there are a lot of games that are just better on the stock hardware.
I don't think the games ran at 720p internal though, Soul Calibur II certainly did not.
OG Xbox BC on 360 was garbage especially for PAL gamers and it really highlighted the lack of care and testing that emulator received. PAL Panzer Dragoon Orta crashed without fail after level 3 and they never bothered to fix it, it was a disgrace that such easily replicable show stopping bugs were ignored.

The rap it gets is not unfair.
Some of the best looking OG XBOX games run perfectly on 360. Plus you the added AA and upscaling.

Why are licence issues a constant problem for games and TV shows but never movies?

Imagine if The Big Chill never made it to Blu-ray because they couldn't sort out the soundtrack licencing.

FyreWulff

Why are licence issues a constant problem for games and TV shows but never movies?

Imagine if The Big Chill never made it to Blu-ray because they couldn't sort out the soundtrack licencing.

Because movies tend to use music also owned by the studio that made the movie

Also movies have music edited out, but that's a simpler swap than recoding a game, depending on how the music was used too

EmiPrime

I don't think the games ran at 720p internal though, Soul Calibur II certainly did not.
Some of the best looking OG XBOX games run perfectly on 360. Plus you the added AA and upscaling.

2Oum4sX.jpg

I have another half dozen Xbox games in another storage bucket but this will do. Of my 30 odd games, none run un-compromised on a 360; it's a grab bag of slowdown, crashes, audio bugs and incompatibility.

I tried playing Outrun C2C recently and while it looked nice I was quickly reminded of the looooooooong "has this crashed?" load times.

BC on Xbox 360 gets a bad rap because it was SHIT. Microsoft completely abandoned it after a year. Silent Hill 4 specifically became more horrific because evertyone's faces in cutscenes were fucked up.

EmiPrime

Syriel

They were.

Movies went through the whole "crap, we didn't license this for home video" back when VHS hit its prime in the late 80s and early 90s.

A number of iconic films hit home video with "modified" soundtracks because the original music wasn't cleared. Some examples are "Jaws" and "Sixteen Candles."

Oemenia

Banned
Yea, but did you read the bit about Panzer Dragoon Orta not working for us? Because that invalidates all that immediately.
Yeah I'm a PAL gamer too.

However I also played these games near flawlessly (from the top of my head) all the while benefiting from progressive scan (something we PAL gamers rarely got) and added AA.

Halo 2
Ninja Gaiden Black
Dead or Alive Ultimate
Conker L&R
Crimson Skies
Doom 3
Jade Empire
Metal Arms
MK Deception
Prince of Persia SoT
Splinter Cell 1-4
Unreal Championship 2
Rainbow Six 3
Hitman Contracts
Forza

And these with some minor issues

Black
Dead or Alive 3
GTA Trilogy
Fahrenheit
RtCW Tides of War
CoD 2 BRO
Max Payne 2

Here's a few that ran but were not great

Panzer Dragoon Orta
JSRF
Thief 3
Mercenaries
Max Payne
Morrowind
Halo

All in all, BC wasn't as good as it could be but is certainly still a great feature to have had.

Soul Calibur 2 actually does run at 720p but 4:3 - very odd. Quite a few Xbox games have internal resolutions of 720 and they look great.

Top Bottom