• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatible lOT2l: Who would want to play these games?

Jawmuncher

Ah Undertow. If I recall this was one of the first Unreal-engine arcade games released. Got it for free from that Xbox Live outage. Never played it for more than 5 minutes.

Ooo.. Second tweet delivered with Saints Row: The Third.
I actually think I beat it. Forgot all about it until this

Keinning

I don't actually have SRIII for x360, it was IV. Dang. I remember III being somewhat fun unlike IV.

Boo this week! Boo! I wish it were nothing instead!
i'm not being serious by the way.

DarkCloud

I finally have an excuse to try and figure out how to buy Virtua On XBLA.

Also one step closer to getting Saints Row 2. Plus it makes owning Saints Row 4 on the one have meaning since the story for 4 was basically Saints Row 3 Pt 2. Just felt weird only being able to jump right into the middle with the start of 4 like that.

The framerate while driving was pretty bad in SR3, I wonder if the XB1 can fix some of that. You could choose with or without vsync in the options, and the XB1 forces it, so it'll be interesting to see.

Keinning

I loved saints row 2 will I enjoy the third?

Maybe. Game went hard on the crazyness and toned down the serious parts and cut back most of the side activities from II. Still, you can have some fun, and its still better to swallow for old fans than IV which is just wacky to the max 2 much wacky 4 me.

Zeta Oni

I loved saints row 2 will I enjoy the third?

No way to tell really, three is where a lot of previous fans of the original two believed the series went way to far in the ridiculous department, while others contend it's where the series started to actually stand out on its own rather than being considered a GTA clone.

I personally think it's the best game in the series closely followed by 2.

Keinning

c'mon guys, SRIII is silly, but not THAT silly. i can take fighting against luchadores and sasha grey, SR2 had the ronin and the samedis as well, at least they are still human

Hopefully SR3 being added bodes well for Saints 1 & 2's addition?

I've been thinking about this. Why not release them in-order? One of the main reasons I wanted 1 & 2 on BC is because the PC versions are troublesome with reports of crashes and glitches. What if the reason for the issues on PC is because they are straight ports of the 360 games which are coded too close to the metal, or maybe just strangely/poorly. If true, that would make them appearing on BC less likely due to emulation difficulties, and could explain the jump to 3.

On the other hand, I think 3 has a ton of DLC that people could buy, so that could be why it was prioritized by the publisher.

Gestault

Is music licensing an issue for backwards compatibility? It's not a remaster or a port, it's the same release. Burnout Paradise came out as BC and it has plenty of licensed music.

From what we've heard, parties have to re-approve the release on new hardware (you can buy it directly on the XB1, which I assume is why that loophole doesn't work). So if there's not an easy channel of communication with *everyone* with a hand in the original release, that gets messy fast.

Tapejara

One way to gauge whether or not a game with licensed content is likely to come to BC is to check if it's still being sold digitally. This would imply that the publisher/developer still holds the necessary licenses to keep selling the game, which would reduce one barrier towards a backwards compatible release. Saints Row The Third, which made its way to the BC program today, makes use of licensed content (most notably Kanye West's "Power) and was still being sold digitally. Contrast this with a game like Blur, which while still available in physical format, is unlikely to become backwards compatible due to the digital version having been delisted. The delisting suggests Activision may no longer hold certain licenses related to Blur (cars, music), which presents a big hurdle.

Burnout Revenge is still being sold on XBL. This means that at the very least, EA holds the licenses necessary to sell the game. Of course, licensing is a complicated beast; it's always possible that EA could have only negotiated licenses for certain platforms. That said, the game being sold digitally does bode well for its chances, especially compared to a case like Blur. Additionally, it's also possible for devs to go back and patch out content that that could infringe on lapsed licenses (GTA: San Andreas on Steam).

That's my understanding of it at least, would appreciate any corrections/additional info!

EmiPrime

One way to gauge whether or not a game with licensed content is likely to come to BC is to check if it's still being sold digitally. This would imply that the publisher/developer still holds the necessary licenses to keep selling the game, which would reduce one barrier towards a backwards compatible release. Saints Row The Third, which made its way to the BC program today, makes use of licensed content (most notably Kanye West's "Power) and was still being sold digitally. Contrast this with a game like Blur, which while still available in physical format, is unlikely to become backwards compatible due to the digital version having been delisted. The delisting suggests Activision may no longer hold certain licenses related to Blur (cars, music), which presents a big hurdle.

Burnout Revenge is still being sold on XBL. This means that at the very least, EA holds the licenses necessary to sell the game. Of course, licensing is a complicated beast; it's always possible that EA could have only negotiated licenses for certain platforms. That said, the game being sold digitally does bode well for its chances, especially compared to a case like Blur. Additionally, it's also possible for devs to go back and patch out content that that could infringe on lapsed licenses (GTA: San Andreas on Steam).

That's my understanding of it at least, would appreciate any corrections/additional info!

At a baseline level yes. However they might only have the licenses to sell on specified formats in which case emulated versions on Xbox One would be exempt or open up the publisher to more legal risk or re-licensing effort than they would care to take on, which is to say, any. A lot of these contracts weren't very forward thinking and written before digital sales were much of a thing at all (Games on Demand was about 4 years after 360 launch).

IANAL however and I could be talking bollocks.

Justinh

Sweet. I never really played Saints Row the Third, so I guess I'll finally check it out. I bought Contra and Super Contra a while ago because I thought they were both BC, glad that they are now even though I don't like the arcade versions of these games, lol.

shanafan

Is Super Contra the original arcade version of Super C?

I believe the PC version of Super C was similar to the arcade version.

Maybe. Game went hard on the crazyness and toned down the serious parts and cut back most of the side activities from II. Still, you can have some fun, and its still better to swallow for old fans than IV which is just wacky to the max 2 much wacky 4 me.

No way to tell really, three is where a lot of previous fans of the original two believed the series went way to far in the ridiculous department, while others contend it's where the series started to actually stand out on its own rather than being considered a GTA clone.

I personally think it's the best game in the series closely followed by 2.

Its going to be a love it or hate it. Youre either going to love the over the top sillyness or resent Volition forever for making such a drastic change
Thanks for the replies.

It's been forever since I played one of these so I may end up pulling the trigger anyways.

Synth

If Cyber Troopers is Japan only, is there a way I can get it?

You'll need a JP XBL account, and then after buying it (likely with a top-up card for credit) you'd set your XB1 as that account's home Xbox, so you could play it with your standard gamertag.

I bought Burnout 3 early this summer on my 360, as a BC title for that console. But I guess licensing for the XB1 is a further extension of music licences maybe?! Burnout Revenge for the 360 was also for sale, so I got that too.

Anybody else btw that uses the 360 with an RGB to a CRT? I do it because some of the arcade titles and original Xbox games look better imo on a CRT (although you won't get the 240p goodness correctly for old classics). Perfect Dark HD is rock solid 60fps on a CRT with 4:3 support and all. The ultimate way to play it like you did on the N64.

Synth

It's not it went BC in June this is just them now releasing it to that market.

This is a different game.

You're referring to "Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram":

This is effectively Virtual On 2, the Dreamcast/Model3/Naomi game, which was BC everywhere in June, and the most popular in the series.

Collingwood is referring to "Cyber Troopers Virtual-On", often referred to as Operation Moongate:

This is Virtual On 1, the Saturn/Model2 game, which only hit XBLA and PSN in Japan.

There is also the 2v2 focused "Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Force" (Virtual On 4) which is available exclusively on Xbox 360 in Asian markets (I have no idea why):
boxartlg.jpg

EDIT: In case you're wondering about Virtual On 3, that was a PS2 game that nobody really cares about anymore, but is available on PSN (PS3)
cusx8mxhm2n7ntdy79c9.jpg

EDIT2: There is no Virtual-On 5, regardless of what Sega may try to tell you in the coming week/months.

c'mon guys, SRIII is silly, but not THAT silly. i can take fighting against luchadores and sasha grey, SR2 had the ronin and the samedis as well, at least they are still human

Well then you also had
Burt Reynolds and a bunch of zombies didn't you?

Not that I am complaining. I loved all the saints games.

the major downer for me was not being able to replay missons.

rmatheso

The framerate while driving was pretty bad in SR3, I wonder if the XB1 can fix some of that. You could choose with or without vsync in the options, and the XB1 forces it, so it'll be interesting to see.

I played the first 5 missions on SRIII and it looks to have an unlocked framerate not unlike Bioshock BC. Driving hovered 30+, but some missions indoors I swear ramped to 60fps. Nice upgrade.

Oemenia

Banned
I played the first 5 missions on SRIII and it looks to have an unlocked framerate not unlike Bioshock BC. Driving hovered 30+, but some missions indoors I swear ramped to 60fps. Nice upgrade.
Sounds cool, recently bought the game after reading reviews. The change in direction for the second game made me think it was just an immature GTA clone.

rmatheso

Also the DLC disc from the Saints Row 3 Full Package edition installs everything fine including the previously glitched horror pack.

SimonM7

Probably is, the publisher went down and there must be some associated cost to supporting that on console compared to PC.

They were down for a long while on PC as well. During and past the release of Gat out of hell, even. They're back up now, however, and I believe that's been the case at least as long as "THQ Nordic" has been a thing.

The SR4 "remaster" on console creates a divide where there is none on PC, though, so perhaps they just reckon the old gen versions aren't worth supporting.

RobRivers

I'm unable to play bf3 online because of online pass even in a gwg game, what should i do in order to be able to play online? Thanks!

Top Bottom