• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatible lOT2l: Who would want to play these games?

sja_626

I am in Australia, I can find Black on the Microsoft store but can't seem to buy it! Says not available in your region. Anyway to get around it? There is a install on 360 icon but I don't have a 360 cheers

As in the web store? I’m in Aus and was able to buy it from here just now. Haven’t been able to buy NGB though.

SCB3

Got Black, NGB and KotOR Digitally anyway, heres hoping for KotOR2(Though the free Steam content adding the missing stuff in is more tempting) and Morrowind next time

The cutscene at the end of chapter 4 in Ninja Gaiden Black was fucked up. Has a still image over the top of the video.

It's the only negative so far, game runs smooth as hell and the graphics still look nice (for a game from 2005)

f@luS

More than a member.
I am in Australia, I can find Black on the Microsoft store but can't seem to buy it! Says not available in your region. Anyway to get around it? There is a install on 360 icon but I don't have a 360 cheers
Same for me for psychonaut (fr store )

Flagship

Just played ninja gaiden black, what absolute delight it is to play this again, the game looks absolutely stunning! I'm hoping to actually finish it this time, as long as my saves don't corrupt like they did on the OG xbox console haha. Nice to play it compared to using the OG xbox controllers.

I thought Prince of Persia was a 16:9 game... just booted it for the first time on One and it’s 4:3.

I booted this up, the game looks sharp but man does the gameplay feel so slow now (probably didn't help that I played ninja gaiden first) :( still planning on playing it, I was in awe seeing that speedrunner online this year whoplaying it during 'games done quick' stream...

Please MS...Please

53206-the-warriors-xbox-front-cover.jpg

muzzymate

We may now have a worse situation than the Games & App section not ignoring “The ” to sort.

So I’m happy to have access to an Xbox Originals title I purchased back when full digital games were a novelty in the console space. However, having Psychonauts sorted under F as “Full Game - Psychnauts” is a beyond annoying. Small price to pay versus the alternative of not having it available.

OldMuffin

I bought knights from the online store but it still isn't showing up under ready for install for me. Meanwhile black has already shown up. Also I checked the store and some of the games have already showed up under the backwards compatibility tab yet games such as knight and ninja gaiden still aren't there! What gives? :/

NGB plays so nicely still. I will say I feel spoiled by modern games though because Ryu doesn't stop on a dime and the right stick doesn't really control the camera. I kept trying to rotate and went into first person mode all the time.

El Sabroso

KOF NEOWAVE runs very well, but looks hella weird

The game has a graphic menu with options to enable or disable a soft filter to the sprites, but it does nothing on the Xbox One

Now, there is something interesting happening on this game also...

When launching the game on Xbox One and let it run the demo fights, those look like this

But as soon as any button is pressed and the game enters the main menu will look like this

seems to be an issue with the game itself and the emulators used, as same issue appears running from Xbox 360, which btw running this game in Xbox 360 has some other issues with the in-game graphics option by itself, but just to compare here is game running before entering any screen menu

and after

Yeah, I remembered a bit in that doing that centered the camera on where you're facing. Thing is, if there's anything about the game I would change for modernization it's that. Cameras back then were so, so bad ad this just makes it more obvious.

no, I mean clicking in the right thumbstick will give you full control of the camera in third person viewpoint (it is inverted only though). Its the right trigger that centers the camera.

Xbudz

no, I mean clicking in the right thumbstick will give you full control of the camera in third person viewpoint (it is inverted only though). Its the right trigger that centers the camera.

Hey, you could probably setup a controller config in the Xbox controller app to fix that.

c0de

Vgtech put up a video comparing KOTOR on og Xbox, 360 and Xbox One. I never knew game ran unlocked and Xbox One is by far the best version but still has moments going under 30 but this is when the other two are way below 20.
Good start I'd say. Perhaps they will improve the emulator like they did with 360 to get even better performance.

Hey, you could probably setup a controller config in the Xbox controller app to fix that.

doesn't that require an Elite controller though?

Regardless, centering the camera with the right trigger is infinitely faster than moving it with the stick, so I say learning to adapt is more beneficial in the long run.

Sizzle55

Played Black looks damn impressive for a 2006 game! Still unable to buy NGB says unavailable in your region annoying because it looks wicked!

Got early at home yesterday and turned my One on Just to see how much these games would cost at the Brazilian Xbox Live and... There wasn't any of the Xbox Original title available to buy. Dafuq, Microsoft? Why?

Leonidas

IGN has an article about backwards compatibility.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/23/the-untold-story-of-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility

Found this part interesting

“We had to bake some of the backwards compatibility support into the [Xbox One] silicon.” This was done back in 2011. Preliminary tests showed that support for key Xbox middleware XMA audio and texture formats was extremely taxing to do in software alone, with the former, Gammill noted, taking up two to three of the Xbox One’s six CPU cores.

That's forward thinking for ya.

amdb00mer

I played some NGB, Psychonauts, and Bloodrayne 2 yesterday. All played great and looked great. Bloodrayne 2 does have those awful prerendered cut-scenes though. I forgot about all the cheese dialogue it has as well. :p

amdb00mer

doesn't that require an Elite controller though?

Regardless, centering the camera with the right trigger is infinitely faster than moving it with the stick, so I say learning to adapt is more beneficial in the long run.

No, the accessories app will work with all controllers. So you can remap however you see fit.

Played Black and Crimson Skies from disc, and then bought KOTOR digitally just to support the program. I didn't run into a single glitch during my play last night. The games run well and look pretty good for their age. I never actually played through Black or KOTOR back in the day so they're new to me. Very happy with BC. Can't wait to play Enhanced Oblivion when I get the X. Given that it's one of the first enhanced games along with Fallout 3 makes me think there's a good chance we'll get Morrowind at some point.

Chucker

JSRF isn't going to happen because of all the music licensing. Accept it and move on. I don't see any point in pining away for games that have almost 0% chance of making it into the program.

If this was before JSR HD came out I'd agree with you, but that came out and we only lost... 2 songs?

If this was before JSR HD came out I'd agree with you, but that came out and we only lost... 2 songs?

That was a remaster, not emulation. It was reprogrammed for modern platforms and sold new for a profit so a lot more work went into it than a BC release including investigating licensing and removing the ones they couldn't get. Sega is very unlikely to go in and make such changes to an old Xbox game just so it can be added to BC. A JSRF remaster is more likely than a BC release for this reason, though still not very likely since I don't think JSR HD sold as well as they hoped, at least that's what I've heard.

Just need Chaos Theory adding then get Xlink on the go for some classic SVM action! Been confirmed by a user on Xbox One Subreddit that it's compatible!

Chris1

Well that'll shut up those that said BC is only there because MS are losing.
Phil already said they tried to get BC for XB1 launch but the team couldn't do it and thought it was impossible so it was put on pause, then when he took over he restarted it and they managed to get it done.

NGB plays so nicely still. I will say I feel spoiled by modern games though because Ryu doesn't stop on a dime and the right stick doesn't really control the camera. I kept trying to rotate and went into first person mode all the time.

I felt the same about Crimson Skies. We've come a long way with controls.

Bry0

I'd love those too but that also is a licensing problem. However, unlike JSRF it only involves one or two companies so it's somewhat more feasible that these might show up at some point.

I wouldn't think it would be so bad. I believe MS still owns the digital rights to battletech games, they definitely still hold Mechassault. PGI got the rights for Mechwarrior games for a limited period of time but I believe microsoft still owns them. Fasa studios was an MS studio that doesn't exist anymore and both are MS published games. I don't think the first game had any licensed music but they would probably need to cut those Korn and Papa Roach songs from Mechassault 2. Mechassault 1 never got backwards compatibility on the 360 however, and I do wonder why.

Top Bottom