• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Dashboard Leak - Version 2

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
These teasers are torture. I wanna see videos of someone sitting with a PS4 and an XB1 going through everything for 20 mins.

I wonder if this is actually going to be like the Windows 8 start screen, and you'd be able to rearrange/resize titles, put them into custom named groups, and the like.

(still not getting the system for a while though.)

This plus custom/different backgrounds would probably better flavor my opinions on the UI, right now it's aesthetically boring as it is now. The suspend feature is interesting though as it appears to function now.

Caayn

Looks nice and fast. Love how fast the Ryse is booted up. And the instant switching. Although I do think that I'm going to miss the guide during the first couple of weeks.

Can't really tell from the quality of the video. But the dashboard doesn't seem to Always responds after a button is pressed.
I do hope that we can customize the color scheme and if possible the general lay-out of the tiles. Similar to what we can on W8 and WP8.

Satchel

Banned
Hard to know without seeing it properly, but can I assume the abundance of tiles to the left of the Ryse section is the pins?

I hope so because then I can blame that user for just throwing a bunch of random same sized tiles in one place. The section with Ryse in it looked great though. Very snappy.

I can never really decide whether a one dimensional “line” UI or 2D UI with blocks is better for controller usage.

you fit more stuff on screen with the 2D UI but it’s a bit more complex to visually scan and you need to mix more up vertical and horizontal movements to get where you want to go.

with a 1D UI you can just hold down in one direction to get to where you want to go. less fiddly. But long lists of games or content are unwieldy.

I think the look of this UI is good. it’s clean and it doesn’t look too crowded or messy with a bunch of different sized tiles overloading your eyes. they’re all pretty much the same.

But, I think I still like the gamescom PS4 UI demo a bit more as it just seemed faster to access more games from that single row than in here, where it would need you to either go into a submenu or manually pin things to that main screen
Well it comes with the Kinect and as much disdain one might have for it, it looks like the best way to navigate the UI.

The dash looks very snappy. I still hope there is an option to pause the game when the guide button is hit though. Not digging the metro look, but I will say that it seems to work much better with a controller than a mouse.

I really like the "quality of life" upgrades coming.

1. You can let the game run while you check a message, for example, in a cutscene you've seen before and in an MP lobby and still see when it's loading/progressing/match ready/finished.

2. Instant on for the game is impressive. No loading to get started. No looking at the same title screen for a game a million times and sitting through sometimes unskippable pub/dev logos every time. Perhaps the death of "Press > to start" every time?

3. Quick snap betweens from program to program or game to dash is great.

4. The voice commands will be great with this too - I wish he would've demoed that and/or the TV functionality in the wild. (Don't know if either is part of the beta, so who knows?)

5. Playing while downloading.

Many of these are on PS4 as well, and I for one look forward to our smoother, faster, more enjoyable console media futures.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Hard to know without seeing it properly, but can I assume the abundance of tiles to the left of the Ryse section is the pins?

I hope so because then I can blame that user for just throwing a bunch of random same sized tiles in one place.

That is what we assume.

But in this case it looks space themed. Maybe some smaller indie game? Or Platinums exclusive?
Maybe I'm wrong, but haven't we seen this same tile in a previous dash pic somewhere? I could've sworn we had discussion about "Savage Frontier" before.

Theecliff

Banned
Like I said in the thread that got closed, looks very responsive and snappy. Impressed by the time it took to get into and back out of Ryse, absolute worlds apart from what we have this current generation. I also like how opening the menu when ingame actually minimises the game screen and places it as a preview box inside the UI, thought that was a nice touch.

I have a feeling that it's going to be stuff to do with the actual UI and interface like this that's going to surprise me a lot next gen coming off of this generation - it's just stuff we take for granted. Having it run this quickly and smoothly is going to be a huge difference.

Not a huge fan of the design, however. Looks functional, but pretty bland aesthetically.

The dash looks very snappy. I still hope there is an option to pause the game when the guide button is hit though. Not digging the metro look, but I will say that it seems to work much better with a controller than a mouse.

Well you can always pause your game first before hitting the home button.

EvB

It actually looks like you have a whole area dedicated to your pins this time round, I'm really hoping that's the area I can customize as you can on Win 8.

You can switch, but we don't know yet to what degree . Considering the amount of RAM dedicated to the OS that came out I would assume all non-game apps can be run while a game is suspended. There does not appear to be a snap type true multitasking mode so it will probably be app dependent and depend on whatever API's Sony has created. Music apps for example. We don't know yet to what degree Microsoft is letting people hook into these systems either though I would assume it's pretty big considering how important snapping and multitasking features are to them...unless Microsoft is still making all the apps themselves which would be kind of depressing.

Huh, I had no idea! Thanks for the informative post.

Yeah, I hope Microsoft doesn't make all the apps again...

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Maybe this is the emmc flash memory in effect?

IIRC, I saw a demo of the XB1 where the guy said that the "big tile" always represents your currently running game. I'd guess that the game was loaded in the RAM of the game partition.

nillapuddin

Missing the top level menu navigation in this beta build and that really bothers me.

Looks like they altered that so the top level is 3 main groups with 2 subgroups

PINS - features/settings - HOME - recommendations - LIBRARIES

I think that the current 360 dash can be daunting to get from one end to another, so I dont think Id mind if it were more layered than not

Dante316

It looks really impressive. Snapping when bored during a game or just quick snap to Mayb skype could be interesting.

BadAss2961

Reminds me of Windows 8 as well as the current 360 dashboard which I really don't like. Too many separate boxes to click within each tab. All with their own screens/windows to load up.

I'm a huge fan of the simple XMB. Everything quickly and easily accessible on one screen with no ads. All it needed was the same speed while in-game. PS4 OS seems much closer to that than XB1, but it's still pretty metro.

Flayer

That interface looks like it's really snappy and responsive. Good job on that.

Not a fan of the windows 8 look however. I hope there are options to customize a bit.

Reposting this because I think the idea that it doesn't pause the games when pressing the guide isn't necessarily bad:

Depending on what other things you can do with the console, I think it could be quite useful. I'm mainly thinking of long loading times, or multiplayer lobbies where you're waiting for the next round.

Maybe even a Fighting Game lobby where it isn't your turn for awhile.

(I could also post at what rumored performance cost this feature is implemented, but one thread derail is enough. :p)

They should make it optional in sp games. I would never want this.

EvB

What about the extra 150 MHz they supposedly just added? His 180 must be an older one right?

It was added prior to production, they just didn't announce it until after they had announced the hardware was finalised.
Besides, it was more likely a software/firmware change that let them use it, the rumours of a downclock could of been due to them underclocking the components to reduce heat.

IIRC, I saw a demo of the XB1 where the guy said that the "big tile" always represents your currently running game. I'd guess that the game was loaded in the RAM of the game partition.
That definitely appears correct. There's a tile for "Insert Disc" so we know Ryse is on the hard drive. But the game isn't accessed through the "Games" tile. All that's left that makes sense is "current suspended process" for the big tile.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Yeah. That's a good point. It's going to be great navigating this from the iPad.

You're seriously going to navigate the dashboard with your iPad? I highly doubt that. I highly doubt anyone will do that.

Sounds so convoluted when you can just use your controller or the unruly Kinect.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Not at all a fan of the Metro-ish grid look.

Yeah, I think there are better options than Metro when delivering entertainment on a joypad/Kinect-controlled console. I'd love something a bit more organic and fun. Like the original NXE's 3D themes but turned up to 11.

Reposting this because I think the idea that it doesn't pause the games when pressing the guide isn't necessarily bad:

Depending on what other things you can do with the console, I think it could be quite useful. I'm mainly thinking of long loading times, or multiplayer lobbies where you're waiting for the next round.

Maybe even a Fighting Game lobby where it isn't your turn for awhile.

(I could also post at what rumored performance cost this feature is implemented, but one thread derail is enough. :p)

I wonder if it will have the unintended effect of encouraging people to be AFK? You flip away during the matchmaking or while a map is loading and don't make it back when the match starts.

Krakn3Dfx

Have you used a Vita? It works pretty well but sometimes I wish it would give you a countdown. It can be hard to resume a racing game...

That's a good idea, seems like it would be something developers could account for, I've seen games on the PC that will pause and give you some catch up time when you tab to another app.

Foffy

Banned
Can someone honestly tell me, outside of the quick loading, what does XBone have over 360's interface? It looks nearly the same save for a lack of ads (this is because it's not launched, I assume). I never really liked that interface.

Top Bottom