• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Dashboard leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people forget that Microsoft actually updates the 360 dash often, it looks somewhat similar since the last revamp wasn't that long ago as compared to Sony who have used the XMB for 7 years now.

Looks nice though, given it's Metro all the tiles will be movable, can change the size, etc. The multi-tasking looked great and fast as well, interested to see if the pause is still developer chosen or if all games will continue to run during the home out.
yeah ms is always changing its dash so i expect 3 or more chwnges throughout the year

MCD

s1ULuoS.jpg

To all these people saying they thought they wouldn't use Metro, you do realize that we've known what the OS would look like since it was revealed in May, right?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
To put this as bluntly as possible, you're an idiot if you think this or Metro in general is unorganized. The Xbox One hatred on GAF is reaching new levels. Additionally, does anyone really believe whatever mess Sony has cooked up for the PS4 is going to be anything more than vaguely functional?

Seriously?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
intentional leak? intentional leak.

right? right.

I have no clue why this would be happening.

To put this as bluntly as possible, you're an idiot if you think this or Metro in general is unorganized. The Xbox One hatred on GAF is reaching new levels. Additionally, does anyone really believe whatever mess Sony has cooked up for the PS4 is going to be anything more than vaguely functional?

I hate the metro look. I know someone who's been using a PS4 devkit and they say it's intuitive as fuck and very fast, not to mention good looking. Just let the salt run through you buddy.

G17

It was better on the 360 where you had dedicated a tab for games. Now you can't glance to see if there are any sales/games that you are interested in without having to click to go into another menu.

jaypah

They've been known to be doing "controlled leaks" recently.

"Bing sucks so whatever..." I know there's infighting in MS but that would be stupid to have in your controlled leak even for MS.

I hate the metro look. I know someone who's been using a PS4 devkit and they say it's intuitive as fuck and very fast, not to mention good looking. Just let the salt run through you buddy.

The hate for Windows 8 has nothing to do with the idea or functionality of Metro and everything to do with the fact that it's changed too drastically from what Windows usually is. All to suit touchbased devices. I use Metro for my phone (lumia 920) my PC and my 360. It's great for my phone, sucks for any PC that doesn't have a touchscreen and nice for the 360. I know both of you guys swing in different directions so fanboy stuff aside I think Metro works fine for a console. Sony's stuff looks great to me too though. I don't know about the multi tasking of PS4 but I assume it's pretty good. I'll find out November 15th.

Robot Pants

every laugh GIF on GAF.gifz

nib95

Banned
Although it is badly shot and the Xbox is smudged to fuck (which you'd think MS would avoid), the fact that Ryse went straight into that exact bit that they used to demo at E3 makes me wonder. How likely was it that he'd suspended it just at that precise moment?

Lots of things about the video tbh. Guy could have shown so much more but was impressively selective. Fact that the video is even still up...

Valnen

This reads like fanboy rage to me.

The initial start of Ryse was very fast, but it had to be from suspend. First, simply because even a hard drive can't fill that much RAM that quickly. But in addition, the UI has an "insert disc" tile, so we know it's installed. Plus there's a separate "Games" tile (presumably leading to library) that he didn't use. So the big tile he did start from has to be last-game-played or current-game-suspended.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seems like Microsoft is more desperate to try and compete with Apple TV then to create an actual useful OS for a gaming system

If windows 8 apps can easily come across then that'd be pretty big for me, because it'd mean plex, all kinds of catchup services etc. the icing on the cake would be if those apps could integrate data into centralised search - so I could search for 'breaking bad' and it'd show up live shows on the guide, on Netflix or my shows on plex.

Hedge

W8's tiles works better as a console OS. Still don't like it, though, personally.

And also, yeah, this was so planted. Hardly a "leak" at all.

bankster

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks that the controller looks really cheap? The fonts used on the buttons are too big and bulky, and the colours too bright. It looks like a Chinese knockoff. I know, I know... aesthetics have a subjective component and the functionality is what matters, but still.

Pain

Banned
The multi-tasking looks great. The UI looks "meh". I guess if you love Windows 8 Metro mode you'll love this....

Am I the only one who thinks that the controller looks really cheap? The fonts used on the buttons are too big and bulky, and the colours too bright. It looks like a Chinese knockoff. I know, I know... aesthetics have a subjective component and the functionality is what matters, but still.

Someone using the controller at PAX compared it to a madcatz one...not a good look.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

WuKZd.gif

What the fuck is this? So since I don't like Metro I am an idiot?

And get off the GAF XBO hate...seriously.

That's GAF for you! The replies would be much different if this were a PS4 leak with the same exact dash. Oh well, just get over it and buy both consoles

HQcqvku.gif

That's GAF for you! The replies would be much different if this were a PS4 leak with the same exact dash. Oh well, just get over it and buy both consoles

What the fuck is this? So since I don't like Metro I am an idiot?

So now unorganized is the same as "you don't like"?

Also not sure where he's getting the assumption that the PS4 OS will be "vaguely functional".

My point is that Sony's previous attempts at OS's have not been great. The XMB is kind of terrible, the Vita OS is competent but not amazing, etc. Metro is a functional system that is present across all of MS's hardware. You may not like it because of PC reasons, but it works and it works well.

oti

Banned
It's just the dashboard. I don't really like the tiles either, but they'll do their work. And the MS green is they right green. :)

gruenel

Someone hasn't seen the Gamescom presser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom