• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Exclusive Scalebound Was Shelved Twice, Originally Starred a Little Girl

impact

Banned
That sounds alot better character wise and could have grabbed japan im sure. New guy jus looks like generic western style dude bro. Still game looks amazing
lol Japan doesn't matter. This is a console game, they made the right choice.

Generic dudebros > generic little anime girls

Frog-fu

Banned
I'm kind of confused how Platinum's development works. At least for W101 and Scalebound.

Do the publishers approach them and say "We want you to make a game for us" and Platinum pitches ideas they have?

Usually devs pitch games to various publishers and hope for a bidding war.

Mory Dunz

Was wondering why the title highlighted the little girl thing, and not the initial control mechanisms with the Wii and stuff (which I found more interesting)

then I read the thread

EDIT:
oops, article title was the same.

Corpekata

Banned
Was wondering why the title highlighted the little girl thing, and not the initial control mechanisms with the Wii and stuff (which I found more interesting)

then I read the thread.

I think it might also be because it's the title of the article the OP linked.

The protagonist doesn't particularly matter to me. Drew is fine, a little girl would have been fine. Regardless, issuing commands and watching dragons/dinosaurs fight doesn't seem like it would particularly fun over long stretches of time.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The protagonist doesn't particularly matter to me. Drew is fine, a little girl would have been fine. Regardless, issuing commands and watching dragons/dinosaurs fight doesn't seem like it would particularly fun over long stretches of time.

I don't know, Pokemon has been doing that for nearly 20 years.

Ivan 3414

Thank god it got changed. Playing as a little girl pointing at things for dinosaurs/dragons to interact with sounds like an awful game.

It's a Platinum concept.

Do you really think it would have ended up as simple as you're describing it

Shizuka

Little girl version would've been a hit in Japan. My Little Sister Can't Possibly Be This Good at Killing Dragons.

I don't know, Pokemon has been doing that for nearly 20 years.

At its most basic I guess that's a fair comparison but reading the description in the article doesn't exactly give me Pokemon vibes. Of course it was just a prototype so impossible to know how it would turn out.

Oppo

what about a big girl with dinosaurs. ROBOT dinosaurs.

j/k

I wonder if they were ordered to Bro It Up

Hiltz

I'm kind of confused how Platinum's development works. At least for W101 and Scalebound.

Do the publishers approach them and say "We want you to make a game for us" and Platinum pitches ideas they have?

As far as the Wonderful 101 goes, the president of Platinum Games is the one who initially pitched the idea for the game to Nintendo. With Bayonetta 2, Sega and Platinum tried to find a publisher to fund the game, but couldn't find one willing to do it until they approached Nintendo.

I'm kind of disappointed that Kamiya didn't go with a female protagonist for Scalebound. On one hand, it's understandable given how it can be challenging from a marketing perspective, but on the other hand, why did Drew have to look and act so similar to Devil May Cry's Dante? It's unoriginal.

shandy706

Such a shame they pushed the protagonist slider all the way to douchebag.

Girl sounds cool but I get the reasoning. Dinosaurs also sound cool but dragons are a good replacement.

Reminds me of people saying the same thing about Infamous:SS.

Where I live one would probably have thought that (douche in a beanie), but I live where the temperature on average is 60-80 degrees, LOL. Someone in a beanie looks dumb/"douche" like.

However, in colder places it's a completely normal thing.

I wouldn't mind the little girl angle, but I'm also cool with this guy. Especially if the whole music thing plays into the action/game. I like that idea. Music made Forza Horizon pretty awesome.

I can see why they didn't do it but I really like the concept of a player character being relatively powerless while having this huge force in your command.

I can see why they didn't do it but I really like the concept of a player character being relatively powerless while having this huge force in your command.

Yeah. It reminds me of a game I saw randomly recently that I can't remember the name of, but it featured you controlling a character who remotely controlled a giant robot. So you would be viewing the scene from the vantage point of this boy and had to get him to a spot where he would be out of harm's way but could still see what was going on so he would be able to issue the right commands to the robot. It's an interesting gameplay idea.

They should've just aged her up or made a character that not an amalgam of the 2 least liked DMC protagonists. Now that I think about it, Drew would be infinitely more likable if he acted like Dante Hicks.

Thank god, I'll take Dudebro McEminem over another generic Japanese "little girl who's actually 3925729835627893 years old" design.

This seems to happen to Platinum fairly often:

- Bayonetta 2 wouldn't have happened without Nintendo's involvement
- MGR:Revengence wouldn't have happened without Kojima reaching out to Platinum
- and now Scalebound

Good on Microsoft for taking a chance on the game. I'm sure we'll get a quirky, flawed, but ultimately amazing Platinum title, per the norm.

True Fire

Platinum are amazing visionaries, but they're doomed to remain obscure as long as they keep thinking outside of the box. Dragons and swords sell really well, so this retooling was probably for the best.

I just wish they would release multiplatform games. Scalebound, Bayonetta 2, and Nier 2 on all three platforms would have sold reasonable well (for Platinum).

Anko

All those assumptions about how the little girl would be like. We hardly know anything about her and yet people assume she'll be an anime girl and will be the embodiment of every single loli trope that Japan has ever created.

And I started talking with the staff about how maybe we should change this to be a swordsman or someone a little bit older.
I know they made Bayonetta but I would still have preferred if they just made the original girl older.

rpmurphy

I'm not cool enough for animegaf.

It would be really awesome to play as a young girl riding a huge dinosaur and eating humans left and right.
Well yeah, who doesn't want to see that. Young male characters going on grand adventures has been a ubiquitous design for decades now, it would be nice to have something different.

silva1991

It really sucks that they swapped dinosaurs with dragons. dragons get all the attention in most rpgs/games that I played in the last years : the Souls games, Skyrim, Dragon Sge, the witcher 2, tales of xilia and even Bayonetta 1 had like a dragon angel with an upside down face in his abdomen lol.

still interested in the game tho

Scalebound: Starring "Little one"

Leaked pic of the cancelled protagonist

Bayonetta-048.jpg

Monocle

Interesting idea. I'm glad Scalebound is happening now though, on a beefier platform. Hopefully that'll lead to a better game.

Top Bottom