• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Exclusive Scalebound Was Shelved Twice, Originally Starred a Little Girl

Pizza

I think little girl could have been pretty neat if they went for a studio ghibli vibe with the game, that'd be a game where I wouldn't mind being a tiny girl holding onto a dragon for dear life

But the game scalebound actually is is super neat and I'm absolutely going to grab it

Platinum are amazing visionaries, but they're doomed to remain obscure as long as they keep thinking outside of the box. Dragons and swords sell really well, so this retooling was probably for the best.

I just wish they would release multiplatform games. Scalebound, Bayonetta 2, and Nier 2 on all three platforms would have sold reasonable well (for Platinum).

Since Platinum is not a publisher, they have little control over the platforms their games release on. Obviously with Microsoft funding Scalebound and Nintendo funding Bayonetta 2, they aren't going to let those games release on competitors' platforms. Platinum's new game coming out next week, Transformers Devastation, will be multiplatform though (PC/PS3/PS4/360/XBONE), since it is being published by Activision.

Anko

Good change. A little girl would've made more sense if this was a Vita title not XB1 lol.

Why? Are xbox one users allergic to little girls? Are people who like Japanese games or anime lolicons? Does the character being a little girl mean it's going to pander to that crowd?

entremet

Why? Are xbox one users allergic to little girls? Are people who like Japanese games or anime lolicons? Does the character being a little girl mean it's going to pander to that crowd?
I was joking about the Vita, but no I don't think the game would've been as appealing with a young girl protagonist to the masses.

Just being realistic. Grown woman? Yes. But not a small child. At least for a full priced game.

Toparaman

Banned
Thank god, I'll take Dudebro McEminem over another generic Japanese "little girl who's actually 3925729835627893 years old" design.

Why not both?

latest

Eos

yes it will pander to that crowd

zeopower6

Female lead would have been more interesting but it would be sooooo hard to market.

Some of the assumptions here tho... :/

rpmurphy

I was joking about the Vita, but no I don't think the game would've been as appealing with a young girl protagonist to the masses.

Just being realistic. Grown woman? Yes. But not a small child. At least for a full priced game.
Well yeah, just changing to a female lead in of itself is a challenge because of the ways the video game consumer base are set in, let alone changing to a young female lead (or old female lead, for that matter). But at least let's not be blind to the fact that going towards the dragons and male yuusha archetype is at least a little bit lazy and hackneyed.

Also, let's not forget that this is what marketing to the masses looks like:
rAT2mXm.jpg

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Playing with dinosaurs would have been better. Also a little warrior girl might be better than a douchebag.

cireza

The little girl (or boy) was great, too bad they did not keep it. Maybe as a second character in the final game ?

Dio

Banned
Yeah I'm not getting why everyone assumes it would be an anime style little girl instead of being played straight, like an actual child. Platinum isn't really known for that kind of thing.

Even then, anime is a diverse industry and not everything panders to otakus.

Kamina777

Banned
These anime avatars lol
What about them? Is this going to be a drive by statement in every thread where anime is brought up? Some of most stuck up one dimensional clickish high school behavior in this thread, just need someone with a hot real chick avatar calling someone a jap loving weaboo and I could call bingo.

impact

Banned
What about them? Is this going to be a drive by statement in every thread where anime is brought up? Some of most stuck up one dimensional clickish high school behavior in this thread, just need someone with a hot real chick avatar calling someone a jap loving weaboo and I could call bingo.

It's just funny how everyone with an anime avatar comes in the thread like "it would be better with a little girl"

Because yea, controlling a little girl instead of a man would make a game better. ROFL

Like come on, this post with this avatar
Oh man, the little girl game sounds awesome.

image.php

Hilarious and creepy as fuck at the same time

Soriku

I can guarantee that this game will sell better with Not-Dante than the little girl.

Aww, what a pity. I would really like to see that concept in action. Everyone wants to play the safe route nowadays.

Developers still gotta eat. Anyway I think the little girl idea could be interesting as a smaller downloadable type game.

A-V-B

Honestly, a young girl who commands dragons is a funny idea. Especially if no one knew who she really was, and as the game progressed, legends spread of this badass 8 foot tall dragonrider dude, sitting on his seat of skulls with silent smoke-snarling sentinels at his side.

But when they finally meet the man behind the legend... it's just some little girl who gives her dragons cute names and dresses them up when she's not ordering them to burn shit down. And no one can comprehend it. They keep looking for the badass dragonrider, and the girl keeps getting away.

entremet

It's just funny how everyone with an anime avatar comes in the thread like "it would be better with a little girl"

Because yea, controlling a little girl instead of a man would make a game better. ROFL

Like come on, this post with this avatar

image.php

Hilarious and creepy as fuck at the same time

Etrian Odyssey is a dope series, though.

In Kamiya we trust. The fact that it seemed more like Kamiya was dissatisfied with the previous versions, wanting the combat to be more active and referring to the prototype as a failure, makes the decision seem more like Platinum's rather than publisher mandated. Even if so, i'd rather not dwell on what could've been,otherwise I'd be bummed a lot.

Top Bottom