• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One External Hard Drive Recommendations?

GeeDuhb

My Xbox One hdd has slowly been filling to capacity, and with the launch of BC, I know I am going to need more space very soon.

What external USB hard drives are you guys using/having good luck with? Should I go with a USB powered one or is external power a better bet? (I am worried more about how long it is going to last as opposed to performance really.) I am ready to pull the trigger and get one on Amazon, but I figured I might as well see what experiences other GAFers have had with them before I make the wrong decision.

I've been using a WD My Passport for over a year. I like that it's USB powered because it's one less thing to plug in.

81I2z3JxsjL._SL1500_.jpg

DJ_Lae

I currently have a 4TB Seagate drive that's AC powered. It's noticeably faster than the drive in the Xbox One itself and was filthy cheap.

I also have enough space to last me through most of the generation, assuming it doesn't die before then. Although I'm not overly worried, the graph everyone posts is just from one site and only accounts for the 3TB model anyway.

This model - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFFQN3M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Paid $100 for it at the time, guess storage has dipped upward in cost a little.

timlot

Banned
I have a 4TB Samsung witch I believe has a Seagate drive in it. Not Sure. It was $99 from Newegg/Ebay deal during Christmas. I've seen them at that price off and on all year. Works great.

FinKL

Whatever happen to that peripheral that adds bulk and connects to the side of the Xbox? Was thinking of getting that as I thought you could put whatever drive into

GeeDuhb

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I think I will probably go with one of the USB powered ones, since you guys seem to not be having any issues with them and My surge protector is pretty maxed out.

Totally agree. OP, don't make the same mistake we made - go for 2TB.

Yeah, I was initially looking at the 1TB, but you are right. I better just pay a little more to make it last longer before fill it up.

StillEdge

I got a Seagate backup plus slim 2tb it's almost as small as my phone and super fucking slim. It's so sexy and hardly noticeable beyond me getting the red color is was 20 bucks cheaper or something. I got it for $80 best purchase yet.

iMax

Was thinking about getting the 4TB version of this too.

Only thing that's holding me back is the ambiguity of the spin speed. It's literally not published anywhere, so I can only assume it's 5400rpm, which would be weird in a desktop class drive. Still, looks great.

emrober5

I put my old ps4 drive in a seagate backup plus case when I replaced it. I just got my xb1, but I'll be using that:

Only thing that's holding me back is the ambiguity of the spin speed. It's literally not published anywhere, so I can only assume it's 5400rpm, which would be weird in a desktop class drive. Still, looks great.

Yea I haven't found that info anywhere either. It's on sale right now for US Amazon so I kind of want to grab it lol.

SimonM7

I'm looking at a WD Elements 2TB, and I'm just wondering if these drives are silent, or if I need to consider noise levels?

WD My Book 4TB

Works like a dream. Installed every single thing I could, at 3.2% capacity.

Overkill. Damn straight.

Have a smaller one hooked up to the Wii U. Also great.

Dammit Sony, get it together and allow for external storage.

Noobcraft

I've been considering putting an SSD in an enclosure and using that as an external drive, but I'm worried about longevity/data integrity while using an SSD in an external enclosure. Anyone have any thoughts?

Dabanton

Some good recommendations. Batman has taken me to 6gigs left and I don't really want to have to delete more of my games.

Top Bottom