• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for an external SSD for BC games on XSX

Stafford

So the plan is to get a external SSD solely for BC games and keep the XSX only games on the internal. I've done a lot of searching, asked on Reddit too. So I know about the available options like Samsung T7, Crucial X6 and X8 and more from them. One comment on Reddit I thought was interesting was that I should not get a high speed external SSD at all.

I should go look for a dirt cheap SATA II SSD and SSD enclosure. But where do I start? I am not super familiar with this kind of stuff. Will basically any SATA II SSD work on XSX for BC games? Which speed is good enough? Since the XSX can only do so much.

I was gonna buy one of the high speed ones, but hell, if I can find one of these "dirt cheap ones", give me suggestions. But he hasn't responded since. Anyone here know?

I did watch the DF video today, and I like the transfer speeds and loading times I saw, so I do want that for my BC games. This video :

Antwix

I know you said you're specifically looking for an SSD but have you considered just getting a HDD external? You can get a bunch more storage for the money. It's what I have and I just send over any games I want to play now and in the near future to the internal.

I just went through this yesterday!

I ended up buying a 512GB M.2 for $25 and a $15 external enclosure today to throw my XBO/360/OG games onto.

Stafford

I know you said you're specifically looking for an SSD but have you considered just getting a HDD external? You can get a bunch more storage for the money. It's what I have and I just send over any games I want to play now and in the near future to the internal.
I've considered a HDD, but then I watched the DF video. I want the fast transfer speeds, but also some of those loading times differences are nothing to sneeze at. 1 or 2TB and I'm gonna be good for a long time to come.
I just went through this yesterday!

I ended up buying a 512GB M.2 for $25 and a $15 external enclosure today to throw my XBO/360/OG games onto.
So basically you out the SS into the enclosure and hook it up via USB to Xbox? It's as simple as that? I'm gonna look up this one you got.

I found this one, Crucial P3 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen3 NVMe Internal SSD - Up to 3500MB/s - CT1000P3SSD8, Black.

59 euros, I'd still need an enclosure, in this case I might as well just go for the external one by Crucial, the X6. But can I basically use any kind of SATA 2 SSD this way?

Last edited:
I've considered a HDD, but then I watched the DF video. I want the fast transfer speeds, but also some of those loading times differences are nothing to sneeze at. 1 or 2TB and I'm gonna be good for a long time to come.

So basically you out the SS into the enclosure and hook it up via USB to Xbox? It's as simple as that? I'm gonna look up this one you got.

I found this one, Crucial P3 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen3 NVMe Internal SSD - Up to 3500MB/s - CT1000P3SSD8, Black.

59 euros, I'd still need an enclosure, in this case I might as well just go for the external one by Crucial, the X6. But can I basically use any kind of SATA 2 SSD this way?
Yep, as simple as that. Currently installing a bunch of games on it now and will test. I jumped in on the $150 Series S deal, and the HDD is dreadfully small so I figured $40 is still cheap to be able to play the games.

The brand of enclosure I bought was Orico. Mine was just over $12 actually on US Amazon. Then $24 for the drive.

flying_sq

If you are planning on keeping it until the next xbox or using it in something else eventually, I guess you can get an M.2 NVME, but the drive will far exceed the rated USB speed. IMO just get an external sata SSD. The USB ports are 3.1 which is up to 5Gbps, which is about 625MB/s.

Hey Blinkin

I second this. If you've got money to burn, sure, but the difference in transfer speeds aren't that drastic.

YCoCg

SATA SSD is way more than fine for Xbox/360/One games and they're pretty cheap now for 512GB and 1TB drives, just pair it with a USB3.2 adapter (I use Sabrent ones) and format it as a gaming drive on the console.

Allandor

Just take a normal 2 TB SSD, put it in a USB case and connect it.
There might only a be problem with the USB case as there are some cases that have a "bad" USB port that only allows relative low speeds. But even at around 150 mb/s you are way faster than with an external HDD. Sometimes it is just a bad USB cable that's delivered with the case.

Stafford

Just take a normal 2 TB SSD, put it in a USB case and connect it.
There might only a be problem with the USB case as there are some cases that have a "bad" USB port that only allows relative low speeds. But even at around 150 mb/s you are way faster than with an external HDD. Sometimes it is just a bad USB cable that's delivered with the case.

I've been checking the prices here but it's honestly not that big of a difference compared to external SSDs. And for many I don't see reviews, so I have no idea if they are even good.

Hmm, guess I didn't search right. This can be had for 90 euros.

https://amzn.eu/d/byKAjOe

Almost 2 TB. I would only need a Sabrent adapter and I'm done.

Last edited:
I’ve had one of these for a while that I’ve been using on the XSX and haven’t had any issues. It’s only 500gb I only use it for Xbone games that have slow loading on an HDD (Like DOOM 2016), and for those it makes a difference, but everything else I use a 2TB HDD.

Top Bottom