• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox One games with "Render Scale" option?

I'm curious to know if there are any XBox One games which have a "Render Scale" slider available to tweak the native render quality being output by the XBox One... or better yet, the XBox One X?

I ask because I just came upon a situation with a beta test I'm involved with in a PC game (The Golf Club 2019 Featuring PGA TOUR), where the developer has a "Render Scale" option available in the "Advanced Graphics" settings in the game menu. The game defaults to 1080p, with the Render Scale slider set at 100%, which in essence yields a 1080p output. I have a slightly better than average gaming PC, with a i5 processor and a Geforce 1060 3GB video card and I can set the render scale up to 125%, yielding a net 1350p display res, which gets upscaled by my TCL 55R617 to 2160, before I start getting unacceptable frame rate hits.

I was surprised at how much better the upscaled 1350p looked than the 1080p, however. Just for kicks, I took the Render Scale slider up to 200% and had a look. The difference in image quality was stunning at 200%. The game wouldn't have been playable at that res on my PC (28 to 32 fps), but I didn't expect it to look that much better than upscaled 1080p to 2160p. I guess it makes a statement for the benefits of native res :)

This game is being developed with Unity 2018.1, for the PC, XBox One, and PS4. It sort of stands to reason that if they can offer a Render Scale option in a Windows 10/DirectX 12/Unity 2018.1 game on the PC, they could make the same option available on the XBox One X, which has the same assets. Any thoughts on this, or better yet examples of where this is already the case?

Shifty

This game is being developed with Unity 2018.1, for the PC, XBox One, and PS4. It sort of stands to reason that if they can offer a Render Scale option in a Windows 10/DirectX 12/Unity 2018.1 game on the PC, they could make the same option available on the XBox One X, which has the same assets. Any thoughts on this, or better yet examples of where this is already the case?

Render scaling has become fairly commonplace on PC in recent years, but I don't think I've ever seen it in a console game.

I can only speculate, but I'd imagine that the console platform holders would take issue with offering users such granular control over the quality/performance trade-off. For the same reasons that console games don't have full featured graphics options menus with AA, texture/geo/post-processing quality, etc. etc.
Alternately, it could be a testing thing- developers already have to profile and optimize for two different performance cases now we have the half-step consoles. For studios that are concerned with attaining a locked framerate, replacing that binary low/high pattern with a sliding scale would massively increase the complexity and time cost of that process.

Last edited:
Render scaling has become fairly commonplace on PC in recent years, but I don't think I've ever seen it in a console game.

I can only speculate, but I'd imagine that the console platform holders would take issue with offering users such granular control over the quality/performance trade-off.

You just put your finger on the biggest reason I think a render scale option wouldn't be optional on a console game. For various reasons, Microsoft and Sony don't want to have that degree of tuning in the games that appear on their consoles.

For the same reasons that console games don't have full featured graphics options menus with AA, texture/geo/post-processing quality, etc. etc.

The developer I'm speaking of, HB Studios, does provide a "Depth of Field" ON/OFF, "Antialiasing" ON/OFF, "Vsync" ON/OFF in their current golf game (The Golf Club 2) on the consoles, but I feared something as ambitious as a 200% render scale option might be pushing it a bit far.

Alternately, it could be a testing thing- developers already have to profile and optimize for two different performance cases now we have the half-step consoles. For studios that are concerned with attaining a locked framerate, replacing that binary low/high pattern with a sliding scale would massively increase the complexity and time cost of that process.

Makes sense also... I'd be happy if they offered 4K res option for TGC 2019, but it would probably come at the cost of some object and texture detail elsewhere to achieve a playable frame rate.

I appreciate your input on this... good stuff!

DiscoJer

The PC version of Star Trek Online has it, I don't know if the console versions do.

Like a year ago a patch reset that to the minimum, so it was kinda like playing Minecraft in space.

XOX often let’s you pic 60 or 30 FPS depending on whether you want framerate or fancy effects. Downsampling to 1080p is automatic usually (if supported by the game) and if you only have a 1080p tv. ...that’s about as good as it gets...in fairness, it works pretty well.

Top Bottom