• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One headsets/headphones

I'm worried about buying the Polk 4Shot today. All the Amazon reviews mention having "bad" mic quality... is the mic actually bad, or is just the Fireware issue? I plan on making this my new headset for Skype calls/Let's Play recordings, so I want to make sure I'm not buying a headphone with terrible Mic quality.

MrBlonde

My XO fours cut in and out really bad and pop when using the YouTube app. Tested it again today with cod ghosts and it did it a couple times which is still bad but nowhere near as bad as YouTube.

is this something with the Microsoft adapter and not the headset? If so Microsoft needs to fix this asap, hopefully some kind of update can do it.

JaggedSac

I'm worried about buying the Polk 4Shot today. All the Amazon reviews mention having "bad" mic quality... is the mic actually bad, or is just the Fireware issue? I plan on making this my new headset for Skype calls/Let's Play recordings, so I want to make sure I'm not buying a headphone with terrible Mic quality.

Polk issued a statement saying it is an issue with the adapter. If you are using them for things not on the Bone, you should be good. I think someone verified on the past couple pages that the mic worked fine when used with their phone.

Did you do the update with the headset adapter attached? Try that a see if it helps. I have the headset and don't have the hissing issue.

I have had no issues with "hissing". I'm hearing mild crackling on a very regular basis. It's easiest to hear in the menus, where things are quieter. I've also noticed during intense gaming the sound will occasionally clip out, for a split second.

Yes, I've attempted to update the controller again, with the adapter attached. As I said earlier, both of my controllers exhibit the exact same issue, and the actual headset gives me no crackling when plugged into other devices, like my phone. It's clearly an issue with the adapter itself, or the software OS processing it all.

My XO fours cut in and out really bad and pop when using the YouTube app. Tested it again today with cod ghosts and it did it a couple times which is still bad but nowhere near as bad as YouTube.

is this something with the Microsoft adapter and not the headset? If so Microsoft needs to fix this asap, hopefully some kind of update can do it.

This is one of those things where I'm beginning to wonder if everyone has some mild crackling, but just doesn't notice it.

MS Stereo Headset here, and I'm experiencing frequent audio pops and drops. I do not think it's the headset, though, as it doesn't have this problem when plugged into my computer and phone. It seems like a software issue, but that wouldn't explain why others aren't having this problem. One thing I've noticed - if I get too far away from my console, I can replicate the pops and drops, so I think it's an issue with the sound being wirelessly transmitted to the controller.

Love the look and feel of the headset, by the way....but I may have to return it if these issues don't stop.

MrBlonde

I have had no issues with "hissing". I'm hearing mild crackling on a very regular basis. It's easiest to hear in the menus, where things are quieter. I've also noticed during intense gaming the sound will occasionally clip out, for a split second.

Yes, I've attempted to update the controller again, with the adapter attached. As I said earlier, both of my controllers exhibit the exact same issue, and the actual headset gives me no crackling when plugged into other devices, like my phone. It's clearly an issue with the adapter itself, or the software OS processing it all.

This is one of those things where I'm beginning to wonder if everyone has some mild crackling, but just doesn't notice it.
its not mild though, it was cutting out pretty bad. I am happy with the sound when its not doing this but it needs to be fixed some how

Currently own the Turtle Beach XP500s what else do I need besides the Chat Adapter?
chat cable. get the ps4 2.5mm to 3.5mm male to male cable turtle beach sells them

that's what I'm using-also when you get adapter turn game volume OFF on adapter and just use headset proper to adjust the audio in game. use the adapter solely for chat audio

-have fun

mbmonk

if its a problem with the adapter, do you all think we will have wait until the next major os update to get a proper fix?

its not mild though, it was cutting out pretty bad. I am happy with the sound when its not doing this but it needs to be fixed some how

Well, it seems mild at times. Like when you're in the console menus. It's this very subtle crackling when the subtle sounds are made switching between icons. But yeah, when the sound gets more intense in a game, sometimes it really breaks up. I could definitely imagine someone who's not paying close attention not noticing the problems. Just like some people don't notice a really shitty framerate.

Chettlar

Banned

Thanks for this. i actually didn't know they were leather. Not sure if I like that though. Leather usually ends up cracking and it just isn't as comfortable as felt or whatever the stuff some people use.

Still, how does it sound, hooking it up to your computer and listening to music? The PC powers it and everything right?

Well, it seems mild at times. Like when you're in the console menus. It's this very subtle crackling when the subtle sounds are made switching between icons. But yeah, when the sound gets more intense in a game, sometimes it really breaks up. I could definitely see someone who's not paying close attention not really notice the problems. Just like some people don't notice a really shitty framerate.

I don't know...this isn't exactly an audiophile problem. If others aren't hearing this, I have to assume it's not happening to them. Because I feel like you'd have to be deaf not to notice it.

I don't know...this isn't exactly an audiophile problem. If others aren't hearing this, I have to assume it's not happening to them. Because I feel like you'd have to be deaf not to notice it.
switching bitstream from uncompressed stereo to Dolby Digital has it crack for a second then it's fine. been playing PvZ all day with my XP500's in DD.

Was able to grab a pair of XO Sevens at Best Buy today, last one. They seem really nice, pretty snug fit, but not too tight, and the material on the cups seem nice. Updated my controller with no issues, chat comes through really well. I have no crackling issues in the home screen or in game (only played COD: Ghosts so far), but who knows, haven't played too long. Seem very solid.

Note that Best Buy is giving 15% off if you buy a game with it, so that softens the expensive blow slightly.

killermmn

i have the xbox one stereo headset and the headphone is good,but the thing need a update some time the sound skip a little bit,but the headphone is really good

Streaks

I just picked up the adapter today at the MS Store\Kiosk in Columbus Circle in NYC(if anyone was curious). Has anyone else had an issue with the actual USB-micro HDMI adapter? Mine refuses to fit into either of my controllers. I was able to do the update with my own wires but it'd be nice to have that cord fit the way it was intended.

I'm running out to Best Buy to pick up another official Xbox One headset. This should settle for me whether this is an issue with my particular adapter, or if they're all just this shitty right now.

I still can't find an adapter anywhere near me...sucks.

Still need to try my Sony Gold's on the Xbox...anyone have more experience with the Sony headsets besides the few who posted already?

mjc

So I went against the stream and picked up a 4 Shot tonight. My buddy bought one too and we got into a party together to see how we sounded, and we definitely sounded quieter. I don't think it ruins the use of the headset right now until they get it fixed. I just really, really hope Polk isn't blowing smoke saying they have a fix. It must be the mix as it works through the console or something. Everything else with the headset is fantastic. It's comfortable, sturdy, and sounds great!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I just picked up the adapter today at the MS Store\Kiosk in Columbus Circle in NYC(if anyone was curious). Has anyone else had an issue with the actual USB-micro HDMI adapter? Mine refuses to fit into either of my controllers. I was able to do the update with my own wires but it'd be nice to have that cord fit the way it was intended.

Ugg,

Went to 5 gamestops in the city and no dice. One was holding one for me but didn't have it when I got there.

Jarrod38

chat cable. get the ps4 2.5mm to 3.5mm male to male cable turtle beach sells them

that's what I'm using-also when you get adapter turn game volume OFF on adapter and just use headset proper to adjust the audio in game. use the adapter solely for chat audio

-have fun

Thanks. Found the Adapter to at the local store and they only had one left. So everything working for you?

Streaks

Ugg,

Went to 5 gamestops in the city and no dice. One was holding one for me but didn't have it when I got there.

They actually had quite a few when I got there. I'm sure if you go sometime tomorrow they'll have some. I'd recommend calling ahead just in case.

So I bought a second Xbox One Stereo headset tonight in an attempt to nail down what exactly is going on here. My first one was suffering from crackling and general unstable sound playback. The problem is absolutely the adapter, and not the headset, because if I plug the headset into my phone I can listen to music without any problem. I also plugged in another headset into the adapter, connected to the controller, and heard the exact same problems.

So I opened the new box and yanked out the new adapter. After updating I immediately noticed an improvement with this one. Unfortunately all is not perfect however. This new one still suffers from the same problems, but it's significantly better than the first one.

Oddly I'm also noticing that the game you're playing seems to play a part in the performance of the adapter. When playing Call of Duty Ghosts I would notice the headset audio getting choppy at the same time the game seemed to be performing worse. Very strange stuff going on here.

So yeah, the whole thing is a mess. The second adapter I got is definitely better, but it still suffers from problems. So who knows what is going on here. I hope Microsoft speaks up soon though, and acknowledges they shipped some half baked shit here.

Anyone happened to try the Siberia V2's with something similar to this hooked up to the adapter?

01-PC35-PH35small__95565.1314034485.1280.1280.jpg

Would be great if anyone could give some feedback or test it out as the adapter still isn't released for another 4 days here yet and I need to know whether to start looking for a new headset that's compatible with both my PS4 and XB1.

Thanks in advance if any can help out.

k_klown

Anyone happened to try the Siberia V2's with something similar to this hooked up to the adapter?

I think these should work. I have a similar cable but there is no input for the mic. I was able to hear game sound but not mic. I'm trying to look for one locally at the moment but haven't found any.

As a side note, unsurprisingly the XO Seven headset does work on the PS4 as well (although as far as i can tell you have to use the system menu to adjust the volume).

As a side note, unsurprisingly the XO Seven headset does work on the PS4 as well (although as far as i can tell you have to use the system menu to adjust the volume).

I was thinking of getting the XO Sevens until I realized this. Having to go into the menu every time to adjust the sound would be quite annoying.

That's why I went with the Sony golds, since all the controls are on the headset.

I got the popping and crackling with the adapter as well. In using my old x41 turtle beaches but they sound fine if I use my home made adapter. So it sounds like something is wrong with these headset adapters. Hopefully it can be fixed via firmware update.

Doodis

Just got back from Best Buy with the Atlas set and the XO7s.

The XO7s are MUCH more comfortable on my head. I'm sure this will vary depending on your noggin, but they seem lighter, not as tight, and just all around more comfy. So much so, that I'm not even going to test the audio on the Atlas (they're supposed to be the same electronics anyway, right?). I just put them back in the box for return.

Will now watch some Dark Knight and play some games to test the XO7 audio out.

Sanjuro

Just got back from Best Buy with the Atlas set and the XO7s.

The XO7s are MUCH more comfortable on my head. I'm sure this will vary depending on your noggin, but they seem lighter, not as tight, and just all around more comfy. So much so, that I'm not even going to test the audio on the Atlas (they're supposed to be the same electronics anyway, right?). I just put them back in the box for return.

Will now watch some Dark Knight and play some games to test the XO7 audio out.

Yeah, the XO4, XO7, Atlas should all have the same audio quality.

I've not tried any of them at the moment, but usually I prefer the Atlas/XO4 mesh style ear cups.

The one thing they are all missing that I would require is mic monitoring. I've just gotten to used to it.

MrBlonde

I hope they make some kind of statement on this, I really feel its the adapter and not my XO fours. Ill hold off on returning for now but I want to hear something on this. The cutting in and out is unacceptable when I spend $100 on a headset

I hope they make some kind of statement on this, I really feel its the adapter and not my XO fours. Ill hold off on returning for now but I want to hear something on this. The cutting in and out is unacceptable when I spend $100 on a headset

Agreed. I'm going to request a replacement from Amazon. If that one has the same issue, then I can at least rule out a defect with the device.

JeffG

or its your controller. Maybe it doesnt make a good connection to the adapter.

Marco1

So I bought a second Xbox One Stereo headset tonight in an attempt to nail down what exactly is going on here. My first one was suffering from crackling and general unstable sound playback. The problem is absolutely the adapter, and not the headset, because if I plug the headset into my phone I can listen to music without any problem. I also plugged in another headset into the adapter, connected to the controller, and heard the exact same problems.

So I opened the new box and yanked out the new adapter. After updating I immediately noticed an improvement with this one. Unfortunately all is not perfect however. This new one still suffers from the same problems, but it's significantly better than the first one.

Oddly I'm also noticing that the game you're playing seems to play a part in the performance of the adapter. When playing Call of Duty Ghosts I would notice the headset audio getting choppy at the same time the game seemed to be performing worse. Very strange stuff going on here.

So yeah, the whole thing is a mess. The second adapter I got is definitely better, but it still suffers from problems. So who knows what is going on here. I hope Microsoft speaks up soon though, and acknowledges they shipped some half baked shit here.

Thanks for this BB. I had the headset and adapter pre-ordered through Amazon UK but I will wait now to see if the issue is fixed through a FW or HW update,

Jarrod38

Currently rocking between my Sennheiser PC350 and their HD 555. Both work and sound really good using the headset adapter.

I think these should work. I have a similar cable but there is no input for the mic. I was able to hear game sound but not mic. I'm trying to look for one locally at the moment but haven't found any.

Yeah I hope so. If no one has tested it before Thursday I guess I will find out for myself.

Top Bottom