• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One headsets/headphones

MCD

Currently rocking between my Sennheiser PC350 and their HD 555. Both work and sound really good using the headset adapter.

I'm eying the PC 360. Do you know if they work? I saw some people complaining that the mix doesn't work on reddit.

MrBlonde

Plants vs zombies was cutting in and out a few times tonight, seemed to do it when the game got hectic or lagged but then did it a few times in the lobby, wtf!! If they don't announce a fix for this soon these xo fours are getting returned and I really don't want to do that, I love having a wireless headset and it sounds good when it works right, its a nice change from my x11s and those damn wires,

Plants vs zombies was cutting in and out a few times tonight, seemed to do it when the game got hectic or lagged but then did it a few times in the lobby, wtf!! If they don't announce a fix for this soon these xo fours are getting returned and I really don't want to do that, I love having a wireless headset and it sounds good when it works right, its a nice change from my x11s and those damn wires,

Yup. That's the experience in a nutshell with this adapter. It really does seem tied to the game performance too. Quite strange.

Xone9

Banned
i received my XB1 Microsoft brand $79 headset and gave it a whirl...
yep, static in the menu's when you move between pins which is weird.. since thats the only place it does it..

otherwise, I have to say for $79, these suckers rock....

i received my XB1 Microsoft brand $79 headset and gave it a whirl...
yep, static in the menu's when you move between pins which is weird.. since thats the only place it does it..

otherwise, I have to say for $79, these suckers rock....

You haven't noticed any brief sound blips while playing? I definitely notice them here and there. They could be easy to not notice in the heat of the moment though.

FDBMath

I got my set of MS $80 specials. Played AC4 with them and think they are great. I did notice a few sound blips here and there, but they were rare. I can't imagine noticing them too much in a faster paced game. I like them better than my old TB X31 (I think that what they are) that I used on my 360. Plus, not batteries to go through like with the TBs.

Doodis

So, after playing a bit with my XO7s, I'm pretty happy. Played a few matches of Battlefield 4, some Forza, watched some Netflix, Youtube. I haven't really had any of the issues others are having with static. I did notice a couple pops at the beginning of the Netflix video I was watching, but it was only for a couple seconds and didn't occur again after watching for about 20 minutes.

Otherwise, sound was good and I am pretty happy with the XO7s. My one gripe, which others have stated: I can't hear my own voice coming through the chat channel.

MCD

If it is anything like the PC 350 all you need is this type of cable.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005T3G9/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Good to know!

And Astro released this statement:

Hi OldMikeyJ,

but we have found a workaround and will release a firmware update this week for both the A50 Wireless Headset and MixAmp Pro 2013 Edition which will stop the crackling from happening.

http://forums.astrogaming.com/showt...rackles-during-voice-chat&p=175131#post175131

Redshirt

Banned
There's definitely a problem with these headset adapters. I've experienced light static in the dashboard menus and issues elsewhere, including sound popping, complete dropouts and a controller "crash."

The setup does work well most of the time, and hopefully a software update will fix these issues.

As for the Turtle Beach XO Seven and the Polk 4Shot, I'm about three hours into testing both. I'm definitely experiencing sound issues with the 4Shot mic when in game. It's particularly terrible in Ryse, where the Polk user is completely drowned out by the din of battle.

The XO Seven doesn't have these problems. Sound and chat quality are both very good. The build quality is also very good and superior to the 4Shots in at least two aspects. I'm leaning toward keeping them.

The 4Shots are very nice. Sound quality is excellent. The build quality is very good and sleeker than XO Seven. One issue I have is that the mic doesn't feel durable, and that's on top of my concerns with the near-field setup in general. Another issue is the included stereo cable, which is simply junk compared to what Turtle Beach gives you. That's not a huge problem since the cable is replaceable, but at $160, everything should be high quality. Also, I prefer the TB breakaway solution, which is more elegant.

I've also found that the XO Seven fits my fat head and big ears better. My brother prefers the 4Shots in that regard and is leaning toward them. He has 30 days to return then and may wait to see if Polk or MS responds further regarding an update.

Spasm

I said earlier in the thread that I'd report back, and let everyone know if the Polk 4 Shots work with PS4 or not... Yes. Yes they do.

Game audio and chat work great just by plugging directly to the DS4. Not only that, but the mic sounds great, which is getting a lot of complaints on the Xbox side.
Even though there are no audio controls like on the Xbox puck, you still have mute capability by retracting the mic up into the headset, which cuts off the mic completely, and doesn't just muffle it.

So any multi-platters out there looking for a single headset... You should take a look at the Polks.

Edit: Guess I should actually go try 'em out on the Xbox.

Spasm

I had updated my controllers before receiving my 4 Shot, but when I connected them (controller was still wired), it had me update again. Interesting.

Skeleton

Banned
If you want a great headset that'll work with all consoles I heavily suggest Astro A40/50!

Although they're pricey, they're so great and are really worth the money spent!

Nintendad

I've got the PS Vita head sets and going through menus I get crackling. Playing Plants vs Zombies I got none of that. Why would that be and did anyone else run into an issue like that?

ok i got a razer kraken proand i'm wondering if there is any way to to get the two cords(one being the chat cord and the other being the audio cord)to a single cord that will make both audio and chat work with a single plug/cord that will work with the xbox headset adapter?

Cartman86

Banned
Just for anyone curious about specific headset compatibility situations (I would have loved someone going into detail when I was researching all this). I've got a Wireless Turtlebeach PX4 and this is what I do..

I have all my devices plugged in through a convoluted multi input/output HDMI splitter setup. All my audio from the consoles goes over HDMI (set to Dolby 5.1 bitstream) and when it arrives at my final HDMI splitter it outputs to an optical out on that splitter. That optical cable goes to the PX4's headset base station thing and that's how I get my game audio (I have all this setup for a monitor and an HDTV at the same time so there are receivers and other audio components here as well).

So my game audio is fully wireless through all my consoles. Done with that. Now for game microphone support I use the bluetooth radio in the headset with the PS3. My other devices however require cables to be attached to the headset (it has a chat output port) and the controller. Luckily the headset came with the cables I needed. The 360 uses a "Talkback cable" and the PS4/Xbox One use a 2.5 to 3.5 cable of some sort (apparently the one Turtlebeach makes is required). You'll need the Xbox One Stereo headset adapter so you can plug this cable into the controller for chat. It sounds like I can use this cable to get game audio as well, but it wouldn't be 5.1 among other issues involving making sure I don't get double audio.

My goal with all this was to have wireless interference free (5 ghz) 5.1 headphones that would work with every console, output to two TV's simultaneously, and output 5.1 audio through my Receiver speakers. All without having to screw with settings between sessions. Being tethered to a controller was fine. As long as that controller itself was wireless. This setup seems to have accomplished my goals. I'm in the middle of a move so I haven't tried every possible scenario yet, but I think i'm good. 360 chat sounded a little crappy, but not worse than the mic it comes with. PS4 and Xbox One sound fantastic.

The only downsides I see right now is that the PX4 has an audible (for me at least) white noise sound when powered on. You don't notice it when audio is playing, but if you plan to use these with a PC desktop for example it might get annoying since you are often in between audio playback.

ok i got a razer kraken proand i'm wondering if there is any way to to get the two cords(one being the chat cord and the other being the audio cord)to a single cord that will make both audio and chat work with a single plug/cord that will work with the xbox headset adapter?

You could try something like this:

01-PC35-PH35small__95565.1314034485.1280.1280.jpg

I'm still waiting on feedback if it works though as the adapter hasn't been released here yet and I was hoping my V2's would work.

The 4Shots are very nice. Sound quality is excellent. The build quality is very good and sleeker than XO Seven. One issue I have is that the mic doesn't feel durable, and that's on top of my concerns with the near-field setup in general. Another issue is the included stereo cable, which is simply junk compared to what Turtle Beach gives you. That's not a huge problem since the cable is replaceable, but at $160, everything should be high quality. Also, I prefer the TB breakaway solution, which is more elegant..

I agree with this, and am kind of hunting for a higher quality, more flexible cable....would any iPod compatible male to male stereo cable work and carry chat?

Also, anyone have any suggestions on a decent cable?

mjc

I said earlier in the thread that I'd report back, and let everyone know if the Polk 4 Shots work with PS4 or not... Yes. Yes they do.

Game audio and chat work great just by plugging directly to the DS4. Not only that, but the mic sounds great, which is getting a lot of complaints on the Xbox side.
Even though there are no audio controls like on the Xbox puck, you still have mute capability by retracting the mic up into the headset, which cuts off the mic completely, and doesn't just muffle it.

So any multi-platters out there looking for a single headset... You should take a look at the Polks.

Edit: Guess I should actually go try 'em out on the Xbox.

Lends credence to the fact that it's a problem with the X1's software and not the headset itself. Glad I picked one of these up, the 4 Shot is awesome.

Apeopleman

I have some old ass X41s I still use with an adapter that I soldered myself for Xbone. I'm so damn cheap when it comes to console accessories.

That's not being cheap. It's being frugal and intelligent.

I used to have x41's. great sound, but pain in the ass to change the batteries every now and then

I just picked up the adapter today at the MS StoreKiosk in Columbus Circle in NYC(if anyone was curious). Has anyone else had an issue with the actual USB-micro HDMI adapter? Mine refuses to fit into either of my controllers. I was able to do the update with my own wires but it'd be nice to have that cord fit the way it was intended.
Well yeah you'll have trouble plugging a micro HDMI cable into your controller. It needs to be a USB Micro to standard USB cable.

Chettlar

Banned
Third time I've asked this. Sorry, I'd really like to know.

How well does the 4shot perform on PC? Anybody tried some gaming with it yet?

Havoc2049

I bought the XOFour "Xbox One" gaming headset. The build quality and sound quality is solid and it works well with everything I tried it on EXCEPT the Xbox One. The mic performs well and the headset comfort is decent. It is fine in the menus, but every now and then, the sound will cut out for a split second during gameplay. Hopefully this is a software issue with the controller update that can easily be fixed with another update and not a hardware issue with the adapter.

Doodis

Last night I was in a multiplayer session and I pressed and held one of the buttons on the adapter (just kind of messing around and wondering what would happen). The headset wigged out on me, gave me an awful screeching static, then disconnected my controller completely.

After I reconnected, I was told that my voice chat was choppy and the controller disconnected another time a few minutes later. I played another 30 minutes or so, and things seemed to work pretty well, minus some choppy game audio here and there.

I'm using the XO7s, but like most everyone in here is saying, I'm sure it's an adapter issue.

MCD

Users are reporting distorted audio, primarily with chat. Skype and Upload Studio voiceovers seem to be unaffected.

The issue seems to be related to the chat adapter, as multiple models of legacy headsets are affected. This includes models from Astro, Turtle Beach, and Polk. Users suggest that testing with other devices results in normal, problem-free performance.

“We've heard about a small number of users experiencing intermittent issues,” a Microsoft representative told us via email. “We’re actively investigating and are working on a resolution."

We’ll update with more information on a fix or workaround should one become available. For now, it would be worth checking with the manufacturer of your headset to determine if they have a remedy.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...user-problems-with-xbox-one-chat-adapter.aspx

JaggedSac

Got my 4-Shots in today. Played a couple rounds of Titanfall with them. Sound quality is great, build quality is great, and they are very comfortable. Didn't try out any chatting though.

Spasm

PSA: If you have any sound popping or crackling in your headphones, run wired. I was only getting a little bit of popping, but it was driving me nuts. It disappeared completely once I plugged my controller in.

Sanjuro

There was a post in the other thread. For the crackling issues, hold down the LED power button on the front of the console for 10 seconds. Wait another 10-20 seconds for it to fully shut down. Then power back on.

Worked wonders for me on optical.

PSA: If you have any sound popping or crackling in your headphones, run wired. I was only getting a little bit of popping, but it was driving me nuts. It disappeared completely once I plugged my controller in.

That did nothing for me.

There was a post in the other thread. For the crackling issues, hold down the LED power button on the front of the console for 10 seconds. Wait another 10-20 seconds for it to fully shut down. Then power back on.

Worked wonders for me on optical.

You were having crackling over optical? I only have it over the controller adapter, and it wasn't fixed by anything I did, including swapping it for a new one, trying it on another controller, and hard rebooting the console.

malfcn

DSP complaining about the XO Sevens.
11:24 (When did they remove the start at..function?

He has a ton of gaming headset, and buys the XO Seven despite being able to just buy the adapter.

Sanjuro

That did nothing for me.

You were having crackling over optical? I only have it over the controller adapter, and it wasn't fixed by anything I did, including swapping it for a new one, trying it on another controller, and hard rebooting the console.

I only noticed it in TItanfall, although, I didn't really play any other intensive 5.1/7.1 style games. It may have been there all along.

No cracking or popping now over optical or using solely the headset adapter.

Obscured

Thanks for the impressions here. I'm trying to decide between the Polk or the MS ones. Because of the chat issues on the Polk headset, I'm thinking I will wait a few weeks and see how that plays out.

I've been impressed with the included chat headset, so that is my bar. But I'm really missing having some headphones, and if they work on the PS4 too, then I can justify that price a bit better.

zedge

I bought the XO Four. Took it back. Plastics are cheap and as a result it's very hard and hurts my head on top from the band and the ears.

I now have MS's stereo headset and WOW. Very impressed for $80 it is great. Audio quality is as good as the turtle beach and my 360 X31 for what that is worth. Also the build quality is better and it's cheaper.

MOST IMPORTNATLY. If you own a PS4 and a XBO all these headsets work flawlessly on both systems.

This is good to hear. Thinking on picking up the Xbox one headset to use on both. Are there inline volume controls?

Has any one tired out the titanfall headset? I'm new to gameing headsets and debating between that and the xone?? Thanks for all the impersseions left in this thread.

Lima

This is good to hear. Thinking on picking up the Xbox one headset to use on both. Are there inline volume controls?

No. On Xbox One you control it via the adapter and on the PS4 you control it with the device menu by holding down the PS button.

I only noticed it in TItanfall, although, I didn't really play any other intensive 5.1/7.1 style games. It may have been there all along.

No cracking or popping now over optical or using solely the headset adapter.

I'm really interested in knowing how these adapters could varying so much from user to user. I even tried two different adapters and had the exact same results, on two different controllers.

zedge

No. The volume controls are on the adapter that connects to the controller
OK figured that would be. Was just curious if they had separate ones for use without the adapter.

No. On Xbox One you control it via the adapter and on the PS4 you control it with the device menu by holding down the PS button.

Yep. Thanks!

Guess I'll return chat adapter and pick up the headset. Been using some Wii u tritons that BB were blowing out for $8. They sound pretty good but are small and my ears get sore pretty quick.

On a side note I also notice the crackling and popping sound. Seems too come and go. Hopefully MS can resolve this.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Is there any solution to just use a damn simple Bluetooth earpiece on the x1 or ps4? I have one for each for the ps3 and 360, and much prefer that - wireless and simple and long battery life; and I have a sound system for my actual game audio.

Top Bottom