• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One is REQUIRED to be online at least once every 24 hours.

Daingurse

donmattrickmitc.gif

Flawless Shinobi. Flawless.

This is fucking ridiculous... I'm looking forward to the return lines at wall-mart after Christmas for the consoles parents bought for there kids because "they are broken and won't play games."

Mileena

Banned
Third console curse is very fucking real. I've got the feeling this one will get dusted by even the Wii U when everything is said and done.

I live in the North East. We get blizzards and hurricanes. Now you are telling me if I lose power for 48hrs my Xbox One will yell at me?

If you have had a blizzard or hurricane in your area and it has knocked out the power for a significant amount of time you have bigger things to worry about than your video game console.

Zep

Banned
At least Steam gives me a choice to go offline and stay that way if I choose. This is now on its own level of fuckery.

FlyFaster

What...

I don't even know anymore ._.

It's like they shot themselves in the foot, decided it wasn't good enough and decided to chop off the entire leg.

Seriously, this was supposed to be the day MS straightened out all the bad rumours going around, not confirming them.

ya, I thought for sure they'd shut all the rumors down for good. But, as a Sony/Nintendo fan it went better then I could have hoped for lol.

trmas

Banned
It doesn't have to ALWAYS be online - just long enough that those outside the US are basically screwed here. Europe will have the Internet connectivity but none of the features, and Japan won't even give it a glance.

MS really is giving the finger to everywhere else in the World. DRM, no used games except through MS, online connectivity, oh, and everything STILL sits behind a paywall.

Glorious! I'd love to hear the X-Bots response to this one.

iewTSWZpls6XV.gif

Thank you Microsoft. You've made this more entertaining than it has any right to be.

OR WHAT, Microsoft, OR WHAT? What the Ex Box Won gonna do? Get itself online? Kinect watching me in my sleep?

Yeah, OKAY Microsoft.

Omikaru

That actually sounds way better. Games need to authenticate once every 24hrs, otherwise you can play them offline as much as you want.

I don't understand why people are saying this is worse. The previous rumor was ALWAYS online, not one check per 24hrs.

It's always online lite. I don't see how anyone can spin this as a positive. 3 minutes and 24 hours makes a difference to some people, but not others, especially those who don't even have an Internet connection.

And that's even ignoring the fact that you'd do something so fucking stupid in the first place.

Pezking

If this is true I probably wouldn't be able to play any Xbox One game I bought in 10 years, because all the necessary servers won't exist anymore.

Yeah, right. That would be an absolute dealbreaker for me. I won't even gamble on that - I need to hear that I will be able to play my games as long as I have a working Xbox One in my possession. Otherwise I won't buy it.

This just keeps getting worse and worse.

Seriously. This is basically worst case scenario ever since we heard about always connected/online. GOOD LORD.

Wait. So I'm confused. One of the biggest complaints about Always Online was this, wasn't it?

"What if my Internet goes out."

So... why are we against this now? You have an entire day to connect/be offline. I doubt anyone's Internet goes out for an entire day.

I'm still not seeing a problem with always online, especially not if it's so lenient that it's just once ever 24 hours. Offline play is still possible and you'll probably NEVER notice this.

i've had internet go out for several days a few times

Daingurse

Pass. I have a much better system that requires online activation yet lets me play offline without checking in if necessary.
bfpFAfU.jpg

Doesn't steam offline mode last for like a few weeks till you need to get online again? Microsoft wtf are you doing. . .

Gold Member
Oh dear oh dear. So both the no used games and the always online rumours were true. FFS MS!!!

I have no words to describe this, oh yes I do STUPID.

JABEE

Kotaku is doing some good work today finding out what people want to know. Props to Jason Schreier and Stephen Totilo.

jchap

24 hours isn't bad... If your main internet goes down just tether your phone for a bit. Or you could take your game over to a friends house that has internet and play it there.

dem

So whats the big deal exactly?

Are you guys planning to play your xbox where you have no internet for over 24 hours?

When is the last time anyone played their xbox without a network connection?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONE LAUGHING HYSTERICALLY THE WHOLE TIME.

EVERY MINUTE A NEW XBOX ONE THREAD

WORSE

AND

WORSE

Raide

Not every one has good Internet connection. M$ just dig a hole for yourself.

digging-your-own-grave-o.gif

At this point we have no idea how long it takes to authorize, or how long it needs to be connected in the 24 hour gap to do its stuff. Unless people have internet out there that only stays connected for 3 mins every 24 hours.

Duster

This can't be true, it has to be some huge practical joke.

I'd love to see their focus testing on this, somebody must have written a report saying 7/10 gamers approve these new "features".

Top Bottom