• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: List of issues/problems with the reveal/platform policies

tzare

I did not expect this mess from MS, the ones that, despite their flaws, brought a great system that contributed to the evolution of consoles this generation.

Unless something changes before launch, they have a less powerful console than direct competition, not much, but probably enough to matter (1.2 vs 1.8 Tflops, slower ram, less ram available for games..), with second hand gaming restricted and having to check online every 24 hours, kinect mandatory, online gaming behind paywall.....

Of course they have Halo and Gears and live , they can buy exclusives, and their set-top-box strategy may work specially in US, and sell a lot, but i have serious doubts about them having success. Unless price is very competitive, which i doubt right now

My god these issues are so fucking trivial. This place is embarrassing.

I'm probably going to get a PS4 as the slight power advantage is appealing to me, but I'll eventually get an Xbox One. The tech behind the kinect is super impressive and the infrastructure behind the box is awesome.

I just can't believe how batshit this place is over...nothing....but then I think back to when HalfLife 2 launched and I remember the hyperbole around Steam and I realize...thisisNeoGaf.gif

Many trivial issues make a big issue.

Besides that, there are plenty of big issues in there.

Also, many of the problems lock out a small (or big) audience, or presents problems for those.

People not in the US have no use for the TV stuff, people without a HDMI TV have a problem, people that share games have a problem, people without an internet connection for their console have a problem.

Even when you are part of the people that does not have any of the issues, it having so many of them cause a large group to be annoyed.

test_account

XP-39C²
Is it confirmed that Xbox One will use a power brick? I read something yesterday that it didnt, but maybe that was just speculations.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Power brick!? The box looks pretty damn big as it is. I'd be surprised if they didn't manage to do away with the power brick this time around.

saladine1

Wow. Wow. Wow.

I can't believe this is happening. I seriously can't.

The amount of negativity coming out from MS is unfuckingbelievable.

It seems, MS have made my choice for me regarding which console i'll be buying...

Chittagong

Gold Member
- no cohesive design philosophy (compare to 360, circles, inhaling, breathing)
- keynote consisted of mainly buzzwords and talk
- high level concept annoucements with no substance (NFL, Halo)
- prerendered trailers instead of actual gameplay
- Remedy absolutely robbed
- zero demos aside of UI demo
- evangelist style presenters rather than candid ones (Cerny)
- lack of focus and unclear target audience
- muddy positioning
- developer angle completely forgotten

PaulLFC

My god these issues are so fucking trivial. This place is embarrassing.
How? Go on, explain how these issues are "trivial" as you put it.

How is "a fee" (supposedly the entire new cost of the game) for used games "trivial"? How is having to be online, no games if your internet or XBL goes down, "trivial"? How is the entire focus of the reveal conference not launching outside of the US "trivial"? Honestly, I'm intrigued. Enlighten me.

The weak GPU is really the icing on the cake for me. Xbox 360 was strong in that area and it served MS well. I can't believe they traded it in for built in Kinect.

Why would anyone want this over a PS4? Honest question.

Asking myself the same question since the reveal. Is there a thread on GAF besides the dozen Xbox fail threads where people state their opinions on why they prefer a XboxOne over a PS4? That would interest me more. Because it's currently beyond me why anyone would want the new Xbox now.

Toki767

Asking myself the same question since the reveal. Is there a thread on GAF besides the dozen Xbox fail threads where people state their opinions on why they prefer a XboxOne over a PS4? That would interest me more. Because it's currently beyond me why anyone would want the new Xbox now.

People do like watching TV and fantasy football.

blade85

Neo Member
Thanks for the summary..

You may want to add

- Does not work with Xbox360 controllers OR HEADSETS. So if you bought external headsets...tough, buy another one.

LukeTim

I may be a in a very small minority, but does anyone actually still watch scheduled television?

I know my parents, and older generations, do... but really? It's a dying medium, online, on demand broadcasting like Netflix is the future... as far as I can see.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I remember fondly when I felt so excited for a new console announcement that I could hardly contain myself. I remember marveling at the tech demos for the Gamecube and reading over the EGM PS2 launch special probably 20 times. I remember having my mind blown by pictures of a new Oddworld game and Dark Cloud and Metal Gear Solid 2. There was so much variety and mystery and it was all about the games. We had everything from Chrono Cross to Jack and Daxter to Devil May Cry.

Today I feel totally depressed... partially a mixture of growing up and my interests shifting away - but it also feels like the games that truly excite are so few and far between. Games don't really aspire to a sense of wonder or joy anymore... it's all just the same non-stop action with "realistic" humans killing each other in a variety of ways. Back when Medal of Honor: Allied Assault came out - the scripted violence and non-stop action felt genuinely novel, but now that just seems like every game.

For some reason I keep coming back for these events and scrutinizing every detail, and this is definitely a huge part of what is taking the joy out of it for me. Maybe if I didn't care so much I would be able to enjoy games more, but each time I come back I leave feeling more disappointing. Those games with genuine surprise and charm are so rare these days. There used to be so much variety... so much world building and whimsy. Now it's all just bad writing and elaborate ways to murder people.

Even the new Thief looks more noisy and frantic and dishonored-like than its more subtle and dark predecessor.

What a shit-show games are right now.

I hope no one made this before

Ul9vC5R.gif

10/10.

Many trivial issues make a big issue.

Besides that, there are plenty of big issues in there.

Also, many of the problems lock out a small (or big) audience, or presents problems for those.

People not in the US have no use for the TV stuff, people without a HDMI TV have a problem, people that share games have a problem, people without an internet connection for their console have a problem.

Even when you are part of the people that does not have any of the issues, it having so many of them cause a large group to be annoyed.

To be honest, if the two bolded things apply to you then you probably shouldnt have an Xbox One at home.

I mean, if you go to someones house and there is no internet and they have a CRT TV, you probably dont expect them to have a brand new piece of hardware like the Xbox One.

The presentation did have some issues but identifying the HDMI as an issue shouldnt really be a problem.

I remember fondly when I felt so excited for a new console announcement that I could hardly contain myself. I remember marveling at the tech demos for the Gamecube and reading over the EGM PS2 launch special probably 20 times. I remember having my mind blown by pictures of a new Oddworld game and Dark Cloud and Metal Gear Solid 2. There was so much variety and mystery and it was all about the games. We had everything from Chrono Cross to Jack and Daxter to Devil May Cry.

Today I feel totally depressed... partially a mixture of growing up and my interests shifting away - but it also feels like the games that truly excite are so few and far between. Games don't really aspire to a sense of wonder or joy anymore... it's all just the same non-stop action with "realistic" humans killing each other in a variety of ways. Back when Medal of Honor: Allied Assault came out - the scripted violence and non-stop action felt genuinely novel, but now that just seems like every game.

For some reason I keep coming back for these events and scrutinizing every detail, and this is definitely a huge part of what is taking the joy out of it for me. Maybe if I didn't care so much I would be able to enjoy games more, but each time I come back I leave feeling more disappointing. Those games with genuine surprise and charm are so rare these days. There used to be so much variety... so much world building and whimsy. Now it's all just bad writing and elaborate ways to murder people.

Even the new Thief looks more noisy and frantic and dishonored-like than its more subtle and dark predecessor.

What a shit-show games are right now.
You are speaking out of my heart man, out of my heart.

DodgerSan

Xbox One having non-replaceable Hard Drive's

Is this confirmed? Given the 360 it doesn't surprise me. But combine that with this:

2: Xbox One system software uses a significant amount of storage; less internal storage will be available to users. 500 GB = 500 billion bytes.

From here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xboxone/what-it-is

Sounds potentially like the situation with the Surface Pro's over again.

broony

Only HDMI for output, leaving people unable to use composite or component cables

Oh shit. I just realised in my man cave I have an old Samsung HDTV which doesn't have HDMI. I am going to need a new TV as well. Fuck.

Mascot

Hijacked OT. The list needed some organization. Also, some stuff was on there twice.

Has anyone added the legitimate doubts about whether expensive Fanatec racing wheel/shifter/pedal sets will still work with the XBO?

Long time Xbox user here. But probably not for much longer...

Thanks for the summary..

You may want to add

- Does not work with Xbox360 controllers OR HEADSETS. So if you bought external headsets...tough, buy another one.

We really need sources for this stuff.

Not bundling a headset, is not a problem if it uses open bluetooth standards or USB, works with existing 360 headset, etc.

But, If you need a new propriety headset then that is really bad imho.

What was the latest on the power brick? It is not important, but the difference in engineering prowess between Sony and Microsoft is epitomised by the launch 360 Powerbrick. Of course Xbox Live at launch demonstrates MS's superior OS software chops.

Does this thing play CD, DVD, Blu-rays out of the box or is something required a la OG Xbox and DVDs?

What about standard Blue tooth keyboard, mouse, USB keyboard and mouse, basically the usual open standards, are they supported?

Is DLNA still supported?

Finally any details about video/audio codecs? Based on all the other noise, you can't make assumptions. The iPad only supports a limited number of codec like AVC h264 in the native video player, but will play AVIs, mkv, etc with apps. DD5.1 and DTS also have caveats with iPads and Apple TVs. So video codecs, what do we know?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Thanks for the recap. I thought I was having fever dreams last night to explain just how bad this all was, but there it all is! A good ol' MS clusterfuck. Whats this I'm now reading about a weak GPU?

Only HDMI for output, leaving people unable to use composite or component cables

Oh shit. I just realised in my man cave I have an old Samsung HDTV which doesn't have HDMI. I am going to need a new TV as well. Fuck.

I have an early plasma that doesn't have HDMI.

I use a HDFury III, this has two HDMI connections and feeds VGA or Component at 720 or 1080p, will auto switch, and can be powered by a standard 5amp USB 2 connection.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004RPELMW/

It also strips HDCP protection so is banned in the US.

Top Bottom