• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: List of issues/problems with the reveal/platform policies

A lot of features and services emphasized are US only.
All games shown were catered to America. Few titles shown that would appeal to European or Japanese tastes
Majority of games shown are multiplatform and are on last gen consoles.

- Xbox One not being backwards compatible with the 360

It's not compatible with 360 games or 360 controllers. Controllers is a big deal for people who have expensive arcade sticks, so it might be worth a separate bullet point.

Also not compatible with 360 XBLA games might be worth pointing out separately.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Unveiled a game console with no gameplay footage. No, I'm not counting that diced up COD trailer as gameplay.

This is my main issue.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Big focus on voice commands while this feature is currently automatically turned off in a lot of non native English regions.

nbthedude

It's not compatible with 360 games or 360 controllers. Controllers is a big deal for people who have expensive arcade sticks, so it might be worth a separate bullet point.

Wtf. Really? really?!

Imhave a $160 fighting stock. Fuck you, MS.

Guess I'm sticking to Steam for fighting games from now on.

FroJay

Banned
Call of Duty has a dog.

"And that dog will matter to you."

The list in the OP is staggering, MS is essentially handing this console gen to Sony if Sony simply allows used games without penalty or additional fees. The mandatory Kinect should also put MS at a higher price point than Sony so it gets potentially worse. All I can say is I was leaning Sony before this presser and now I'm 100% day 1 Sony and only Sony alongside my Wii U.

I still think it would be a great idea for Nintendo to introduce a new more powerful console, they could really capitalize on the issues MS has brought upon themselves.

It just shows in the end that MS is not to be trusted, if Sony is ever eliminated from the home console market MS will be sure to screw over consumers endlessly along with their girlfriend EA.

Man

PS4 GPU is 50% stronger (1.8TF vs 1.2TF). Basically there's no chance for Xbox multiplatform games to look better than the PlayStation outings for the next seven+ years. Digital Foundry versus articles will have lesser meaning and just serve to point out the actual differences.

The PS4 also has much faster ram that's truly unified (no juggling between ESram and DDR3 making development more challenging) and apparently there's more available for gaming (7GB versus 5GB in Xbox).

Unveiled a game console with no gameplay footage. No, I'm not counting that diced up COD trailer as gameplay.

This is my main issue.

Yeah, i just got done watching the reveal. What a joke. 15 exclusive games in the first year yet no gameplay shown whatsoever. I wonder how many of the 15 won't be casual games or games related to sports or tv shows.

5gb only for games? You guys know that its more than enough for a dedicated gaming platform right? This isnt a PC.

considering that KZ demo was using 3 GB for Graphics alone, I don't know if what you say will be true in 2-3 years in the gen but I'll agree with you that it is indeed enough for now.

Yeah, i just got done watching the reveal. What a joke. 15 exclusive games in the first year yet no gameplay shown whatsoever. I wonder how many of the 15 won't be casual games or games related to sports or tv shows.

I remember Nelson making fun of Sony for doing their unveiling without the console to show, now i'd like to say the same thing to him but replacing console with games/gameplay.

At least have a Ghosts stage demo... Dang I was disappointed in that conference.

nib95

Banned
Added the following to the OP.

- Live TV available in US only at launch, requires separate device
- Lots of announced services are for US only
- Only HDMI for output, leaving people unable to use composite or component cables
- Console quite large whilst still also using quite a large external power brick

Live TV - The so called big feature of xboxone because they spent so much time talking about it is only available in the US at launch...

No bc controllers is an issue for those with expensive fight sticks

Also

- special partnership with EA.

If that doesn't end badly what will?

somtimes93kam.png

skybaby

Also I read a report that TV playback needs an additional box, was that wrong?
Another bullet point: Most kinect voice recognition and all TV services are US only and half the presentation had absolutely no meaning to non Americans.

Rechargeable batteries can last a while, more so than the ones found on the Dualshock and the 360 official pack. You can buy a pack of four and always have them ready. Changing batteries is not difficult.

Swapping rechargeable battery packs that sit in a charger beside my console is wayyyyy faster than looking for and swapping out individual batteries and putting them in a separate charger

Minions

You know.... I thought it was pretty crazy when Microsoft Merged a Mobile OS and a Desktop OS in windows 8... and I still don't prefer it (though tons of software you can "buy" to fix all the problems... which should be fixed by Microsoft to begin with)

Now I see.... that they couldn't handle just One OS after Windows 8 having two.... Not even Two OS's. They had to show how complex a OS they could make and use 3 OS's...

At this point I entirely expect the next (Real upgrade... not 8.1) Windows "9" to be 3 or 4 operating systems....

Risette

A Good Citizen
I made this post in the other thread:
People were hoping it would be Microsoft's turnaround back to playing games or at least an equal balance of games and Other Things. Probably the main reason for disappointment.

Also it was really bad as a conference, just like all of their conferences of recent years, but it was a downright clown show (or horror show for others) as a new product reveal. The product philosophy seems to be something akin to a pricy TV box that serves as the graveyard for Microsoft's knock off gee-whiz tech, all while chasing a relic of the 90s, "the livingroom." Which is actually very Microsoft, so perhaps your point holds true: what did people expect? Personally, I think people usually had more faith in the Xbox division than the rest of the Microsoft -- the 360 was very... un-Microsoft like in ambition and design at launch despite having some nickel-and-diming schemes. The talented leaders that made the Xbox 360 are gone now, however. The Xbox division is now a regular part of Microsoft in the worst way possible.

Replies:

This is definitely what it felt like to me. The whole presentation was a really loosely strung together aimless display of a bunch of random features.

all while chasing a relic of the 90s, "the livingroom."
I think with all these discussions, this is probably one of the most important things being missed by EVERYONE

Does the Nuclear family sitting around a television set for any real length of time exist any more, least in anywhere close to the numbers it used to? I cant speak for the states but its basically non existant in the UK.

A typical household nowadays :-

Mom watches her Soaps and reality T.V on her Ipad in the kitchen while cooking..She only has a few hours spare as she works and is a full time mom. She cant sit down because there is way too much to do.

Dad is on his company BB, answering emails and the like. He has been working till 9pm and is shattered, he may flick on some sports, but he is more skimming than watching. There is a good chance he will fall asleep on the couch.

Teenage boy Is up in his room playing COD, He only comes out his room when he gets kicked out a lobby and walks into the kitchen to make a snack. He hasn't sat down in the living room more than 30 mins in over a year.

Teenage girl is a bit of a gamer too, but she is glued to her DS. She willl sometimes sit in the kitchen with mom, but its mostly to chat and ask to borrow money. Mom tell her to ask her father who by now is konked out in front of the television.

Honestly, from what I see the only families that tend to be together in a communal room for any length of time tend to be the unemployed:- People who cant afford a Xbox one at launch.

The whole thing is silly.

Another bullet point: Most kinect voice recognition and all TV services are US only and half the presentation had absolutely no meaning to non Americans.

The other box would be your existing cable box.

def sim

Swapping rechargeable battery packs that sit in a charger beside my console is wayyyyy faster than looking for and swapping out individual batteries and putting them in a separate charger

These two acts are so easy that I can't believe the argument of one being easier than other was made.

malfcn

What I don't like is how Microsoft [should have] had to know we would all have questions about this stuff, and is coming off as totally unprepared or shady.

I would like a better understanding on this too.

All to do with the speed. The faster you can get data in and out the better you can use it.

Think of it like a solid state hard drive versus a regular one. For the same price, the SS drive will be much quicker but much smaller. You would hence use them for different things.

The PS4 has much faster RAM... And looks like even more of it to boot. Will this jack up the price? Time will tell.

I didn't see a coaxial jack on the back of it so you'll still need a standalone cable box.

FroJay

Banned
I prefer using recharageable AA batteries, I have 8 sets in the house, they last longer and are easy to flip in and out of the controllers. I've also had 2 sets of them since 2005 and still use them in my Xbox controllers. I wish Sony went the same route.

The grab and stretch gesture for maximizing games/videos has gotten me remembering goatse all these years later

The vividness of the image in my memory is terrifying

nib95

Banned
All to do with the speed. The faster you can get data in and out the better you can use it.

And the more of it you can use. Rounded up.

For Xbox One, based on 68Gbps it's

2GB per frame at 30fps
1GB per frame at 60fps

For PS4, based on 176Gbps it's

6GB per frame at 30fps
3GB per frame at 60fps

Think of it like a solid state hard drive versus a regular one. For the same price, the SS drive will be much quicker but much smaller. You would hence use them for different things.

The PS4 has much faster RAM... And looks like even more of it to boot. Will this jack up the price? Time will tell.

thank you kind sir

Absinthe

PS4 GPU is 50% stronger (1.8TF vs 1.2TF). Basically there's no chance for Xbox multiplatform games to look better than the PlayStation outings for the next seven+ years. Digital Foundry versus articles will have lesser meaning and just serve to point out the actual differences.

The PS4 also has much faster ram that's truly unified (no juggling between ESram and DDR3 making development more challenging) and apparently there's more available for gaming (7GB versus 5GB in Xbox).

Holy shit! I thought both GPU's were the same.

What about the CPU? Is there any information on the differences?

Someone spell this out for me. I know more RAM = better, but it's the DDR# stuff that I do not get. What's up here?

It mostly comes down to speed. DDR3 ram is cheap common RAM, the stuff you'd put in your laptop to increase multitasking. You can go on newegg and buy 8gig sticks for $40. GDDR5 is mush more expensive and faster, it's what you'd find on a highend video card, and usually no more then about 2gigs worth at that.

MarkusRJR

Basically while the RAM is the same amount in the Xbox One and PS4, the RAM in the Xbox One is way slower than the RAM in the PS4. This + the fact there appears to be a ton of RAM being used for the Xbox One's OS means that the PS4 will provide a better gaming experience. That's not even getting into the fact that the PS4 has a better GPU than the Xbox One. Visuals are going to be better on the PS4.

Top Bottom