• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: live TV available in US only at launch, requires separate device

Marvie_3

Banned
This thing is going to look like a modern version of this before too long:

FI3dUu3.jpg

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Hmmm... so does that mean if you already have DVR functionality, you'll get it through Xbox One as well?

They never mentioned DVR capabilities for Xbox One -- and if it does not, there is zero chance that I'll ever use it to watch TV.
Theoretically yes. All the Xbox does is take over the DVR controls via HDMI and overlays it's own UI over the video feed. It should be able to do everything the DVR allows over HDMI control.

Reading that, it looks like its NA, not just the US.

Edit:

In a release sent to VG247 this evening confirms that Live TV with Kinect navigation, Live TV with One Guide, Trending, and NFL on Xbox will only be available in North America at launch. The release added that Microsoft anticipates a global roll-out over time.

North America, not just the US.
Sorry, I just used the title of the article. I really would have preferred if they had just posted the full release instead of summarizing it.

Oh man, hahahaha. This just keeps getting better and better. How in the hell did the guys at Microsoft think that this would be okay?

How in the hell did a bunch of geeks who converse about GDDR5 versus DDR3 not understand the cost of putting QAM, ATSC, DirecTV, and DISH tuners inside of a game console (let alone IPTV that fiber providers are using)?

I'm embarrassed for you guys.

Nobody who understands technology ever thought Microsoft would even consider shoving every TV tuner in common use into a game console.

It seems Microsoft want you to watch the digital TV you're already paying for, through a machine you just spent hundreds of dollars on, so they can get more dashboard ad revenue from their subscription-paying userbase.

This is the product Microsoft are selling to us.
Exactly this.

And with Kinect they'll get serious metrics on responses to those ads.

THIS is what the Gold fee has been paying for.

QaaQer

How in the hell did a bunch of geeks who converse about GDDR5 versus DDR3 not understand the cost of putting QAM, ATSC, DirecTV, and DISH tuners inside of a game console (let alone IPTV that fiber providers are using)?

I'm embarrassed for you guys.

Nobody who understands technology ever thought Microsoft would even consider shoving every TV tuner in common use into a game console.

who are you talking about?

Orca

In other news, the LG TVs that control your blu ray player via HDMI require a blu ray player with HDMI.

Did people not expect to need a cable/satellite box?

Snubbers

Holy crap at the reading comprehension..

Xbox One has a HDMI in, so you need a HDMI 'cable/sat/freeview' receiver to plug in..

No big deal, and I'm pee'd at the whole USBOX IN THE CLOUD crap that isn't for me in the UK..

sangreal

These are the enhanced live TV features, not live TV in general

specifically the integrated guide and navigation instead of navigating through your cable box

This isn't that surprising, but it does sort of run counter to what they were trying to say in the first ten minutes of the conference.

Theoretically yes. All the Xbox does is take over the DVR controls via HDMI and overlays it's own UI over the video feed. It should be able to do everything the DVR allows over HDMI control.

Sorry, I just used the title of the article. I really would have preferred if they had just posted the full release instead of summarizing it.

Yeah, Its just something we should fix here, since its not true.

who are you talking about?

The people who are outraged that MS didn't put cable and satellite tuners inside a game console. Nobody is ever going to do that, there are too many competing standards.

Apparently now there are also some people outraged that their $3 Live fee doesn't replace their $80 cable bill.

Disclosure: I'm not buying Xbox One. But I didn't expect it to do absurd things like replace 4-5 competing standards of television transmission.

Bread

Banned
What did you guys expect the Xbox to have a cable coaxial input and all? Obviously you need to get a box and a subscription to some cable service. This just makes it so you don't ever need to use the cable box, saving you time on switching to movies/games/music. It's a hub, not an all-in-one super device.

Kintaco

I'm more shocked that people didn't know that the instant channel switching was faked. Channel switching will be at the mercy of how fast your cable/satellite box switches channels.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The people who are outraged that MS didn't put cable and satellite tuners inside a game console. Nobody is ever going to do that, there are too many competing standards.
Pass-thru devices are nothing special. It's a nice to (finally) have on a game console, but nothing special. The way the rumors talked this up made it sound like MS was reaching for something different. Obviously it was a stretch to think tuners were going to be built in, but that's what everyone had to work with as far as the rumors went.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
They spent about 10mn on this feature and it's not even included? Did they say it explicitly, I find it deceiving.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I know of one single person who has cable, and he got rid of it. This whole OS quick switching to tv is not going to be used by most EU people. What a shame.

So did MS make a DVR that actually puts more ads in your cable programming or what?

And I wonder how much advertisers are willing to pay for heart-rate metrics.

I'm guessing the people who thought the system was streaming cable were going to be outraged if Microsoft would have charged a cable like fee to watch tv as well?

Top Bottom