• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One price cut to £399 in the UK, includes free copy of Titanfall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
But yeah the texture stuff never made sense to me.

Yeah, as a cross-gen game, the memory footprint of the game is probably low, meaning that they must have most of the game partition's 5GB of memory available for textures, and that's a lot. If I am not mistaken, texture quality is almost exclusively dependent on the amount of available VRAM (and after that the performance of the texture streaming implementation).

Audioboxer

Framerate drops with multiple Titans on screen but would be worse press for MS and Respawn the fact of a downgrade than a occasionally 50-60 fps drop.

Depends how low it goes. You've also got to think about the other maps, maybe some are more technically demanding than those in the beta and if the Titans sink the FPS a bit on the beta maps....

But to be fair I'm just offering my only opinion on why it could be reduced to 720p. Nothing else other than technical performance makes sense.

EL CUCO

720 as wel , 792? no.

stick in toMy gun s on alpha texture POSTi mad be4, btway
s
4p9eO7I.jpg

Based CBOAT making your average thread into legend.

stktt

Banned
Between the textures being improved in the beta and Respawn employees offering to take ban bets, reducing them to the same size as the alpha would be bizarre. The same applies to a resolution reduction when it already hits 1408x792 without any significant issues and Respawn has stated it's likely to increase by launch. If they were planning on reducing those aspects, doubling down on something so easily refuted so close to launch would be odd.

Dambrosi

Banned

They said the beta was 792p and it's likely to increase. Possibly to 900p:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/...unning-at-792p
Well, if the final game did turn out to be 720p as CBOAT said, then that would certainly run afoul of certain new UK consumer protection laws. You can't just dismiss an official PR statement as heresay, can you?

@ stktt - yeah, but didn't the XBOne beta run like shit? (compared to the PC one, ofc)

Zaph

During last years E3 podcast, Zampella told Giant Bomb the XONE version would feature "niceties, powered by the cloud" not in other versions.

Have they said what these 'nicetie' are yet? Aren't all 3 versions getting dedicated servers?

Or was it just lip service prepared by MS?

cakely

The party chat system CBOAT mentions sounds very familiar to what they did with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

It would kick you out of your party chat and put you in the lobby chat.

It was the system that made me very familiar with the "mute player" button.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, as a cross-gen game, the memory footprint of the game is probably low, meaning that they must have most of the game partition's 5GB of memory available for textures, and that's a lot. If I am not mistaken, texture quality is almost exclusively dependent on the amount of available VRAM (and after that the performance of the texture streaming implementation).

Wouldn't a lot of high res, unique textures increase demands on bus bandwidth? Maybe they need to pull back a little on textures to help get the framerate more solid?

720p I can deal with as I have a 720 set in my room.

Party chat I can deal with, MS will sort their end out later hopefully.

drop in textures? now that is a real shame if true, probably the biggest rumor there and a rather upsetting one.

The party chat system CBOAT mentions sounds very familiar to what they did with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

It would kick you out of your party chat and put you in the lobby chat.

It was the system that made me very familiar with the "mute player" button.

That was for IMO games where you could cheat with party chat and tell others locations from the spectator cam, this respawn party chat is so you can talk to others playing the game using their in-game settings, but I have not used my xbox one enough to learn what limits of the built in chat has already.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Between the textures being improved in the beta and Respawn employees offering to take ban bets, reducing them to the same size as the alpha would be bizarre. The same applies to a resolution reduction when it already hits 1408x792 without any significant issues and Respawn has stated it's likely to increase by launch. If they were planning on reducing those aspects, doubling down on something so easily refuted so close to launch would be odd.
There are posters that are disputing your "without any significant issues."

I agree in principle with you. I don't think the texture stuff makes sense and reducing your resolution after saying it will likely improve is very bad.

GavinGT

Banned
During last years E3 podcast, Zampella told Giant Bomb the XONE version would feature "niceties, powered by the cloud" not in other versions.

Have they said what these 'nicetie' are yet? Aren't all 3 versions getting dedicated servers?

Or was it just lip service prepared by MS?

That comment was made before Respawn decided to use Azure servers for the 360 and PC versions of the game. They're all using them now.

Here on gaf,wasn't it either coboat or maybe that ntk guy?

It was me.

What we are getting in March is fixes to the current party system which is its own app.

What they are doing, wisely, is building an entirely new party system at the OS level and not as a stand alone app, just like it was on the 360. But that is going to take a long time to finish.

Everything in the XB1 is seperate apps because they were really gung-ho about this "one microsoft" bullshit where everything can communicate with everything. It's a good idea, on paper, but what it meant was making things like the parties an app, and an app requires handshakes with every other app it touches. So if you are in a party of 4 and you all are playing different games the app needs to make handshakes with each game. This usually works, of course, but the more times you have to make requests like that more likely you are to get errors.

Having it be system level, like the 360, gets rid of that. That won't be ready until the fall though. Maybe later. It's a big project.

stktt

Banned
Well, if the final game did turn out to be 720p as CBOAT said, then that would certainly run afoul of certain new UK consumer protection laws. You can't just dismiss an official PR statement as heresay, can you?

@ stktt - yeah, but didn't the XBOne beta run like shit? (compared to the PC one, ofc)

I haven't played it personally. I only saw footage and read the DF article, but nothing there seemed worse than what you see in Ghosts/BF on consoles. It's possible that other maps are more intensive or Respawn wants to guarantee a locked framerate, but it would make their more recent statements very easy to refute. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it seems unlikely.

I'd imagine SonyBoat got his info wrong again and it was about the 360 version.

This really isn't necessary. Even if the information sounds contradictory, CBOAT is generally accurate. We'll find out who's correct soon enough.

To be honest, a reduction to 720 would make sense, as there would be no real difference.

But the alpha textures simply makes no sense. None at all.

TyrantII

Release the game with alpha textures after the beta simple doesn't make sense. I believe cboat is completely wrong about this.

720p is possible.

If they're looking eek out performance gains that aren't possible through other efficiencies, sure. That said my guess is it be a mix of them, and in places where it make little difference.

Either way, it's always interesting when you have opposing claims.

I'd imagine SonyBoat got his info wrong again and it was about the 360 version.

Are you serious? CBoat has been leaking MS information since the 360 days. He'd leak information that would make MS fans happy, if there was that type of information to leak. Unfortunately, that isn't the case right now. We will see if he is right or not in a couple of weeks.

720? Might as well leave it there and get the more consistent FPS. No point in having it at 792 and having performance issues.

cakely

720p I can deal with as I have a 720 set in my room.

Party chat I can deal with, MS will sort their end out later hopefully.

drop in textures? now that is a real shame if true, probably the biggest rumor there and a rather upsetting one.

That was for IMO games where you could cheat with party chat and tell others locations from the spectator cam, this respawn party chat is so you can talk to others playing the game using their in-game settings, but I have not used my xbox one enough to learn what limits of the built in chat has already.

It was for every game type I played MW2 on, including good old Team Deathmatch. Maybe you could stay in a party for free-for-all but that wasn't a game type I usually played.

You're probably right about the new system but as soon as read the CBOAT quote I had a big flashback to MW2.

Framerate drops with multiple Titans on screen but would be worse press for MS and Respawn the fact of a downgrade than a occasionally 50-60 fps drop.

Respawn, like the OG Infinity Ward before it, values framerate and smoothness over everything. Everything. That's why the CoD games and now Titanfall are not great looking games. They don't care. They want a smooth experience.

That said i'm surprised about boat's claims.

Zaph

How many maps were in the beta? How many mechs?

Maybe they only included the best performers? Other maps might have much bigger dips?

It was me.

What we are getting in March is fixes to the current party system which is its own app.

What they are doing, wisely, is building an entirely new party system at the OS level and not as a stand alone app, just like it was on the 360. But that is going to take a long time to finish.

Everything in the XB1 is seperate apps because they were really gung-ho about this "one microsoft" bullshit where everything can communicate with everything. It's a good idea, on paper, but what it meant was making things like the parties an app, and an app requires handshakes with every other app it touches. So if you are in a party of 4 and you all are playing different games the app needs to make handshakes with each game. This usually works, of course, but the more times you have to make requests like that more likely you are to get errors.

Having it be system level, like the 360, gets rid of that. That won't be ready until the fall though. Maybe later. It's a big project.

Yea i'd imagine it will take a while. Maybe even a UI overhaul like they usually do but not for another 2-3 yrs i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom