• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Price To Go Back Up - Last Chance for $350

MisterR

People seem to think MS is willing to waste countless amounts of money on the Xbox division. That is certainly not the case. They basically had a fire sale for two months to get some mindshare in the US. They aren't planning on giving the things away forever.

The holidays are almost over, but there’s still time to take advantage of the special, limited-time pricing of $50 off the Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle and Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle with Kinect.
With that wording, they may have left themselves an out to sell a non bundled version for $350.

Daviii

I'm starting to think they are following the right strategy.

They are selling those at loss. They will be slaughtered in February. They are not even an option in most markets.

Buy hey. Lots of people in the US bought the Xbox One. And they will bring friends!

Parity in the US is a victory for MS. They'll go for it with all their resources.

Welfare

Yeah last chance for you to buy the Xbox One for $349, but who said that you could not buy the same bundle for $399?

The plan seems to have been to sell the system at enough of a loss to make their victory in the NPD inevitable for two months, then hope that the PR and increased user base creates enough momentum for them to take over as the industry leader in the u.s./u.k. without compromising profits.

fixed :) ...

I'm not surprised. They said all along it was temporary. I can't find the thread but there was one about 2-3 weeks ago where the OP asked if this would happen and it's basically hundreds of replies saying "no way." Lots of wrong answers.

blakep267

I'm starting to think they are following the right strategy.

They are selling those at loss. They will be slaughtered in February. They are not even an option in most markets.

Buy hey. Lots of people in the US bought the Xbox One. And they will bring friends!

Parity in the US is a victory for MS. They'll go for it with all their resources.
Ehh, idk about slaughtered. Last year in March each console only managed to do 300k ish with big releases. If still expect 150-200k at the $400 pric

Chobel

I-dont-believe-you.gif

That article seems to be about the AC Bundle. By january 4th it may be $400 or more. Probably they basic unit will be $350 afterwards.

ZeroCDR

This sounds more like an effort to drum up some last minute holiday season sales, go back up to $399 for like a week, and then SURPRISE.

No way they stay at $399 for long, if at all.

truth411

I don't understand why everyone is acting surprised. They have said the WHOLE time that this was a temporary price cut. Any and all thoughts and expectations that the price will be permanent was pure 100% speculation contrary to facts. M.S. is in for a tough 3/4 of 2015, cause Sony's game lineup looks awesome especially when you consider their indie support.

Trojan

Looking at this from a marketing standpoint it kind of makes sense because in 6 months or however long they can announce a.... "permanent new price drop of $50 making the Xbox 1 only $349!" and get some extra sales from that, while recouping some of the losses at $399 in the months in between.

I view this from an opposite perspective - I think it's a confusing message to consumers when you raise the price following a price cut. Now their next price announcement will be met with more ambivalence because they already offered it at that price (unless they dropped it by $100).

I'm truly surprised they did this. This tells me it's very much a balance sheet decision where MS was incurring a significant loss on each console at $350.

Sydle

It seems to be specific to the Assassin's Creed bundle, so there's probably a new bundle that's going to be announced shortly. Wouldn't be surprised if it's for Evolve, with a pre-download code for the game, for $399.

Kuni

Well I'm surprised actually. I really thought this was a ploy internally to get a permanent drop after proofing the effect it would have...

What a weird decision. The price drop clearly proved it was one of the biggest issues for the One and now they're bumping it back up. With Bloodborne et al around the corner PS$ will take top spot again, if not for the majority of next year.

Weird...

Bgamer90

Banned
TBH january,february are dead months for console sales. So as well they can rise the price for few months and lower it later.

Those months are usually pretty low for console sales. That fact combined with the great deals the PS4 had for the past two months makes me really think that some here are overestimating how much Bloodborne and The Order will help PS4 (NPD) sales during the months they release.

But anyway, I think having at least one $350 SKU would be good for MS. MS is keeping all of their big games (some probably not even revealed yet) for the second half of 2015 and being cheaper than the PS4 would help keep the console competitive for the first half of the year.

Moofers

$349.99 will be the price for an Xbox One with no games or Kinect bundled in. Just watch. Then, at E3 (if not sooner) I think we can expect to see a new bundle announced.

Seanspeed

Banned
Lack of known exclusive software going into 2015 and they want to hike the price back up? That's a bad idea on its own.

But was it known that the price drop was only temporarily? I don't remember that.

People are foolish if they thought this was anything but a temporary promotion. Big holiday bundles are a part of the season, and they've served their purpose. Those who would have bought a console right now at $350 have been served. Sales will slump in January, as they anyways do. Then in the spring, Microsoft will be courting new customers - ones who want the machine in that moment. And with a boosted install base from the holiday promotion, they'll see a growing number of sales from those upgrading from one machine to the next.

Rafterman

Banned
Didn't we (public knowledge) already know this was a temporary price cut? $350 really is the sweet spot for this console, but it shouldn't surprise anyone that they are putting the price back to where it was.

xemumanic

I'll bet the MSRP will officially be $399, but there will always be some pack in or something.

By E3, if not sooner, it'll be $349 MSRP I'm guessing.

Xando

Lack of known exclusive software going into 2015 and they want to hike the price back up? That's a bad idea on its own.

But was it known that the price drop was only temporarily? I don't remember that.

They said it's temporarily but no one believed it.

Bog

Junior Ace
Sounds like a way to drum up interest via some urgency this week. Then they'll announce they're keeping it at $349 next week.

Boke1879

Yea that drop was only until like the 3rd of January I think. But I always thought they would just announce it as permanent on that day.

I do think this is a bad move. The One really has nothing coming out the first few months of the new year compared to the competition. Raising the price will only put people off.

If they actually do this they are ceding every month of the year that isn't Nov and Dec to Sony.

The public perceives Ones value at $349 or less. That is now the standard for the console. To say raising it back up $50 would be a mistake is a huge understatement.

Top Bottom