• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX ONE Reveal: UI faked from the start. Very choppy, and CBoaT

Since some people thought it was deceiving. I was mainly paying attention to the choppy ass video feed, but here:

ibmJMEMopQAywZ.gif

Do you guys think this is hardware or software related issue?

Concept17

-TV, TV, Sports, CoD.

-Hesitant to talk about specs for obvious reasons.

-DRM galore.

-Every executive at the company says something different showing they have no fucking clue what they're doing.

-Lied about Ram bandwidth.

-Got torn apart for the Cloud talk.

-Arrogance has surpassed 2006 Sony ("Everyone has fast internet", "Consumers will buy anything", "We'll kill Sony at E3", "Gamers will choose us at E3").

And now we see this.

-Faked OS demonstration.

Tremendous work MS.

This sums it up pretty nicely.

I think it's more that he's saying that reason you gave was just silly. They aren't going to demo their tv integration to press with a cable box that isn't very compatible.

I said it could be a million reasons which one of those was a possibility. I also said, not a final OS. I love the selective reading that goes on in here. Ive done QA and Playtesting for 8+ years, i know how complicated these things are and how broken they are till sometimes, the very last minute. You guys are stunned, i see something i saw every day.

I'm sure it will work better and faster when it ships. But i don't see anything about it that i would want.
I rather switch on my receiver and i certainly do not want to give voice commands. One button does the trick.

If they don't show amazing must have games than i'm certain i will never ever buy one. Thus far hey did everything wrong.

Your receiver is essentially a centralized box that you tunnel everything through to utilize for multiple purposes. Why is it okay there, but suddenly with the Xbox One, nobody would ever want that?

Everyone constantly complains about how slow the XBOX UI is.

they spent a bunch of time talking about it on the Bombcast recently.

EVERYONE expects the new one to be super fast and snappy, MS kept talking it up.
UI != OS

360's OS isn't slow, it's just the UI is a pain to navigate around to get to the things you want (nowhere near as bad as the new PS3 store UI though). The actual OS behind the scenes is solid.

One thing they can't optimize is slow responses from the cable box. People hate cable boxes because they are slow. This isn't going to speed it up.

I have no issue with the feature being choppy at the moment. I don't even have an issue with Microsoft faking that bit (I'm sure many companies embellish details during pressers).

No, my issue with this whole episode has to do with how the instant response was used as a big marketing point for a considerable chunk of the presentation. Yusuf Mehdi went out of his way to gloat about how quick the OS and the snap features were. I find the notion of faking a demonstration - and then playing it up a great deal, without mentioning that it was a proof of concept at best - incredibly disingenuous.

Rapstah

I said it could be a million reasons which one of those was a possibility. I also said, not a final OS. I love the selective reading that goes on in here. Ive done QA and Playtesting for 8+ years, i know how complicated these things are and how broken they are till sometimes, the very last minute. You guys are stunned, i see something i saw every day.

But the guy wasn't even adressing your other reasons. You say it could be a billion things including a bad cable box, the guy says it's ridiculous that they would demo with a bad cable box, and then you get all mad about how the guy expects the UI to be done. I'm not sure what you're reading selectively.

One thing they can't optimize is slow responses from the cable box. People hate cable boxes because they are slow. This isn't going to speed it up.

Exactly. Thats a huge factor. Mine is pretty recent, and even without an xbox its slow at times. Now add an xbox to all this. I dont envy their QA teams.

Watching the youtube vid, she seems really confident about getting the kinks out.

"Obviously this is an early build. You're not even going to believe what you see with the ship build".

Sounds like it'll get smoothed out for launch

rrs

I'm sure the response will be similarly worded West Coast 1% elitism about how we should move to a more advanced environment with better internet infrastructure and better selection of cable providers.

So move out of the US? ha ha

Tangeroo

The reaction is due to how big a step backwards this video is from the announcement presentation which suggests a level of deception is at play. I have no doubt that most of the kinks will be ironed out by release (or shortly thereafter) but it doesn't bode well when their press approved demonstrations are this poor.

-TV, TV, Sports, CoD.

-DRM galore.

-Every executive at the company says something different showing they have no fucking clue what they're doing.

-Arrogance has surpassed 2006 Sony ("Everyone has fast internet", "Consumers will buy anything", "We'll kill Sony at E3", "Gamers will choose us at E3").

And now we see this.

-Faked OS demonstration.

Tremendous work MS.

You forgot "if you're backwards compatible you're backwards"

Freki

Watching the youtube vid, she seems really confident about getting the kinks out.

"Obviously this is an early build. You're not even going to believe what you see with the ship build".

Sounds like it'll get smoothed out for launch

What is she supposed to say?
"It'll get even worse and won't work at all!" ?
"We hope to make it a bit better till launch..." ?

trmas

Banned
This shouldn't really be a surprise, should it? They are showing the "vision", not what is actually there at this date and time.

-TV, TV, Sports, CoD.

-DRM galore.

And now we see this.

-Faked OS demonstration.

Tremendous work MS.
So this is their Killzone 2 "actual gameplay" video.

JABEE

I have no issue with the feature being choppy at the moment. I don't even have an issue with Microsoft faking that bit (I'm sure many companies embellish details during pressers).

No, my issue with this whole episode has to do with how the instant response was used as a big marketing point for a considerable chunk of the presentation. Yusuf Mehdi went out of his way to gloat about how quick the OS and the snap features were. I find the notion of faking a demonstration - and then playing it up a great deal, without mentioning that it was a proof of concept at best - incredibly disingenuous.

I think you've pretty much summed up how I feel about it. When they commented on the responsiveness as if it was happening in real-time, they went beyond the normal deception of a stage show to blatantly lying to people.

Takuya

Banned
Do you guys think this is hardware or software related issue?

Both.

Take these into account:
- They claim you can have a game running while all that is going on
- 3 OSes

So, while all the non-gaming stuff is going on (browser/snap/skype/apps) are on in one OS, the Game OS needs to always have X amount on CPU/RAM reserved for it, so you're restricted in that sense by the hardware.

At the same time, you're reliant on the software even working, for one; then you're reliant on the 3 layered OSes to play nice with each other giving the limited resources on the hardware. So, not only do they need to get the thing working properly, but they need to optimize it so that it efficiently uses the limited amount of hardware resources it can have.

trmas

Banned
There are a lot of reasons to be upset with MS, but this isn't one of them. Most on-stage demos are some sort of window dressing. Be upset if it isn't better by launch

Your receiver is essentially a centralized box that you tunnel everything through to utilize for multiple purposes. Why is it okay there, but suddenly with the Xbox One, nobody would ever want that?
Because i want dedicated machines that do their thing well. I have a great receiver. Xbox just needs to play games well. It's not a receiver.

I could still imagine that i would buy the xbox if it runs out that it's a great gaming machine with great games.
But i will never use those tv functions. Not that they were made for me anyway, cause i'm european.
And i will never ever use voice commands. But i'm sure the xbox will also work with the controller.

VanWinkle

Prelease software has performance issues. Shocking.

I think the issue is more the stark difference between the on-screen conference "demonstration" and reality. If it wasn't close to ready, they shouldn't have shown it as a demonstration. I think most of us here realize that pre-release software has performance issues. The reaction here is a combination of what I just said and also just HOW rough it looked (the live TV framerate looking to be in the single digits) when it's 5-7 months away from release.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
No one made video comparisons with TVii yet? Surprised :p

Because i want dedicated machines that do their thing well. I have a great receiver. Xbox just needs to play games well. It's not a receiver.

I could still imagine that i would buy the xbox if it runs out that it's a great gaming machine with great games.
But i will never use those tv functions. Not that they were made for me anyway, cause i'm european.
And i will never ever use voice commands. But i'm sure the xbox will also work with the controller.

And guess what, it'll likely play games well. We all should wait until E3 before we say one way or another though, but there's been nothing to suggest it won't play games well. Some people seem to think that MS is a single threaded company when they can handle multiple threads at once that won't affect each other. When launch comes around in 5 months and there are only two launch titles, and all the marketing is showing commercials for nothing but Live TV, then we can complain about the Xbox One not having games.

The only speedier part is voice commands, which is neat. But there is now a cable box that does that already.

The voice commands, the search, the on screen guide, even utilizing the controller should be faster than the cable box. The only thing you'll have to deal with is the slow channel changing. Everything else should go through the Xbox One and be faster and quicker to navigate. It'll be a step up.

Which cable box has voice commands? And how does it apply to anyone without that service?

ibqdrfIUSn00AV.gif

This gif seems to slow down the amount of time i takes for the snap-sidebar to appear, almost twice as long actually than in the video.

It's sstill choppy but doesn't take that long to load.

Top Bottom