• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One | Ryse - Brand new Direct Feed screenshots

I know, now devs said it's not pre-rendered, shacknews said it's pre-rendered. What do believe?

Project Spark vs Killzone pls, because those are the most comparable imo.

The developers. Guessing what shacknews noticed is that the cutscenes are pre-recorder, hence the artifacts/compression. But the cutscenes use the same exact models which is why crytek has the motto *Play the cutscenes* in Ryse.

It was shacknews who mentioned the pre-recorded cutscenes right?
A lot of contradictory statements between the developers and the article writers yesterday. Probably have to wait till the game actually releases to know for sure.

This is probably the safest bet, but i compared Marius cutscene vs realtime model and it was the same.

KKRT00

Just to get back to those cuts on NPCs bodies. They seem procedural, even blood droplets seems to have randomized length.

i21l62Xuu9xpM.jpg

4vtjDAH.jpg

Also, You have ton of new material to count :) Start with framegrabs from the videos.
Sure did! I've finally posted my results over in my pixel counting thread. Bottom line is that the upscale seems to be detectable; for more detail you can hop over there.

I know, now devs said it's not pre-rendered, shacknews said it's pre-rendered. What to believe?
Well, we could examine it. Do you know if there's any 1080p footage of the cutscenes around? I tried looking at the official Microsoft channel on Twitch, but all I saw was multiplayer. I may just be missing something.

nib95

Banned
Quick and dirty comparison:

5Ze6.gif

ibuQk10OIpM5lc.gif

Lower half of the face looks better in Ryse, upper half looks better in KZ imo. And this is an in-game vs cut scene (EDIT: apparently CG) comparison lol.

Bare in mind, she does have a light shining in her face, has a weirder (helghan) skin complexion and large lips.

kzshadowfall_actors_jamiegrayhyder_echo_01.jpg

1373384335-3__large.jpg

Which is a good point. Do we have photo's of the real Ryse actors/actresses?

Pug

So we've gone from discussing direct captures of Ryse to fecking comparing lips! What a fecking crock of shite.

Both games look good. Best if we don't bother with the comparisons. People have their preferences, and at this stage it isn't really productive to draw comparisons in these kind of threads.

nib95

Banned
Both games look good. Best if we don't bother with the comparisons. People have their preferences, and at this stage it isn't really productive to draw comparisons in these kind of threads.

Agreed. Although I would change that to both games look fantastic! Probably need to have a comparison thread eventually lol.

So we've gone from discussing direct captures of Ryse to fecking comparing lips! What a fecking crock of shite.

What is the reference material of good looking lips?
There has to be a middle point right?

Or is this some sharp elbow stuff going on like 2 weeks ago in a ryse thread.

Pug

Not productive! It's complete and utter bollocks, it's like comapring apples to oranges and all it does it feck up the thread with cock waving halfwitted posts.

Sure did! I've finally posted my results over in my pixel counting thread. Bottom line is that the upscale seems to be detectable; for more detail you can hop over there.

Well, we could examine it. Do you know if there's any 1080p footage of the cutscenes around? I tried looking at the official Microsoft channel on Twitch, but all I saw was multiplayer. I may just be missing something.

They aren't pre-rendered. Crytek is utilizing some tech they created to import assets or calculations that wouldn't be possible in real-time directly into real-time footage. For example, Laa Yosh, which I believe is a games development artist is convinced that's how Crytek did the water in the opening cutscene of Ryse.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1803412&postcount=802

The water simulation is almost certainly an offline simulated mesh, streamed in using their Alembic importer. So technically it's the best water in any game, but it's still unfair to compare it to interactive implementations

ryse_2_by_raziel1992-d6tcuje.gif

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-crytek-the-next-generation

Cevat Yerli: We have many new features in Ryse. On the rendering side the main focus was on moving to more physically-based paradigms but we have a lot of improvements for animation and physics as well. For example, all the cloth and armour parts are moving dynamically but we can also pre-bake complex simulations now and replay them in real-time.

There is some twitch stream of the Crytek CEO doing a presentation on a lot of the tech being used in Ryse, and he talks quite a bit about being able to use Alembic directly in their game. Something about being able to take Hollywood style effects, and put them directly into games in real-time or something. I don't remember the exact words, and my favorite bookmarks are took huge and unorganized to sort through at the moment.

What is the reference material of good looking lips?
There has to be a middle point right?

Or is this some sharp elbow stuff going on like 2 weeks ago in a ryse thread.

Oh god... we're now having next gen lip wars? I think it will be bloodier than the elbow wars, so I'm out :p

Top Bottom