• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S has additional CPU/GPU power, games can look and run better

Shin-Ra

That's not MS messaging, that's other fuckheads messaging though. As you're noting, it's actually super obvious to anyone that is remotely listening to what Phil has said. Like, if someone writes an article about a sony console and gets a bunch of shit wrong, that's not Sony's messaging being off.
Arthur Gies or Rod Fergusson?

dr_rus

Volta is 2018 last I saw. I can't imagine how they could take a 13-14TF 1080Ti/Titan Y to 24TF in a year on the same node and architecture.

Volta for HPC is 2017, they can't breach the contracts they have set. Volta for desktops may by 2018 but it's not like they need Volta to get to 24TF. GP104 is a 314mm^2 GPU which provides ~9TF of FP32 throughput. Multiply that by 2 and you get a ~600mm^2 GPU with ~18TF of FP32 throughput. So maybe not 24 but something close to 20 is definitely possible even with Pascal @ 16nm.

Proelite

The messaging has been a clusterfck since E3 reveal.

And what's the consequence of the clusterfuck? Lower console sales? I don't think it'll have any impact at all on sales. And why would it matter to gaffers? Sooner or later we will get to the truth.

So a clusterfuck that has no consequences except as a term for some concern troll to throw around.

If Microsoft came and lied during E3 that Scorpio would not play Xbox One games, that would be a clusterfuck that they still have a year to take back and mitigate. Gamers interested in getting a Scorpio would find out the truth sooner or later. The ones that stay uniformed are not going to be buying several hundred dollar consoles anyway.

If Microsoft releases an underpowered console in comparion to their competitors, that's a clusterfuck that messaging can't fix.

Turns out it was true:

The frame rate-analysis wizards at Eurogamer's Digital Foundry confirmed the good news after testing older Xbox One games. Many titles won't see any boost at all—which is what we found in cursory testing of 15 games, both for the normal system and for its backwards-compatibility library. However, if an older game runs on Xbox One S using either unlocked frame rates (meaning, not tied to v-sync) or dynamic resolution (meaning, it can scale down from 1080p on the fly to improve performance), players might see the a boost by as much as nine frames per second.

Bizzquik

He'd have been destroyed if he played it up when some games get 0-1fps boost.

Correct.
Better for a pleasant (small) surprise than a PR dumpster fire.

My only critique is that I would have liked to see Digital Foundry be allowed to issue their analysis a week ago - before the massive discounts on the original Xbox One happened. Would've been the more consumer-friendly approach, it is might have impacted some purchases.
All in all, though, Phil handled this the right way.

CrazE

Banned
Cracks me up reading some people think that under promising and over delivering is somehow bad.

And now for some reason Phil Spencer deserves flack. Holy smokes!

angelic

Banned
Phil's just a good guy too, i genuinely believe when he says "don't buy this expecting more performance" he's stopping people from wasting their money. If you fancy a trade up for the nice new box, cool, he's just setting expectations realistically. He's got integrity, I don't dare dream what Mattrick would have come out with.

AP90

Correct.
Better for a pleasant (small) surprise than a PR dumpster fire.

My only critique is that I would have liked to see Digital Foundry be allowed to issue their analysis a week ago - before the massive discounts on the original Xbox One happened. Would've been the more consumer-friendly approach, it is might have impacted some purchases.
All in all, though, Phil handled this the right way.

This

McSpidey

Now this turns out to be true it's actually more concerning that the Gears4 devs are ok letting the minor Xbox One S performance boost 'fix' their optimisation rather than targeting the OG Xbox One profile to not drop below res/FPS goals in the first place.

BibiMaghoo

Spencer deserves some flak for downplaying this.

If he proclaimed a boost on games performance and many of them have nothing, and those that do only in certain situations, he would have been ripped apart. It would have been rightly viewed as distasteful PR spin. He made the right call for sure on this, and I'm generally back of the queue when it comes to praising the guy.

If he proclaimed a boost on games performance and many of them have nothing, and those that do only in certain situations, he would have been ripped apart. It would have been rightly viewed as distasteful PR spin. He made the right call for sure on this, and I'm generally back of the queue when it comes to praising the guy.

I came here to say this and you beat me to the punch. If the performance gains were substantial across all games, Microsoft would absolutely be marketing the One S as an improvement.

I can't wait to see the 360 stuff on scorpio! Going to run well and enhance games in good ways hopefully.

Also wish they could just do pc ports of the existing one game, no reason to boost those one games when you already have something that is a lot better. Do it MS! PS4 to the trash (not really, but goodbye ps4 multi plats)

If you do it, just annouce it early enough so I can stop buying the games on ps4 is all

I came here to say this and you beat me to the punch. If the performance gains were substantial across all games, Microsoft would absolutely be marketing the One S as an improvement.

From the jump they said the One S is the perfected form factor of Xbone, the bell and whistle is 4K Video and Bluray, maybe HDR if you can support it...

I don't get how people can confuse something so simple

Bsigg12

Now this turns out to be true it's actually more concerning that the Gears4 devs are ok letting the minor Xbox One S performance boost 'fix' their optimisation rather than targeting the OG Xbox One profile to not drop below res/FPS goals in the first place.

Huh? The boost is being specifically used for HDR support in Gears 4.

Top Bottom