• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S has additional CPU/GPU power, games can look and run better

ZOONAMI

Could be dynamic resolution is running a bit higher on the s than the og, and thus it would be sharper when up scaled to 4k.

I thought I had heard Rod suggest the Scorpio version would be utilizing the res scaler to get to native 4k or close to it. Can't recall where I saw that though. I wonder if there was some mix up between the "S" and "Scorpio" chatter somehow.

I can't wait to see what other titles will take advantage of the HDR in the Xbox One S.
I also wonder how the UI will scale accordingly with the 4k output. I also wonder if there will be a nice UI update overall, in the Fall, that Yabarra talked about.

Such intersting times. Gears 4 in HDR should look fantastic. My 4k Vizio P Series tv is ready!

icespide

Banned

3028311-1235746347-24396.jpg

I'd take any technical stuff coming from Greenberg with a grain of salt

Journey

Banned
My guess:

The S is only marginally more capable than the OG XB1. It will not match the PS4 in power. Neither the S or OG PS4 will match the PSNeo in performance.

Hmm, they could make a change that would significantly change performance to almost, or even match the PS4 simply by changing the memory configuration, I mean if they decided to do away with the expensive ESRAM, which costs more to manufacture than the extra CU in the PS4, then they could pretty much match the PS4 while even saving money. Xbox S would be a pre-cursor to Scorpio which will have a modern memory architecture and development will function the same way where devs would still have to focus on ESRAM for X1 while still working for Scorpio, or in this case, Xbox S.

Skenzin

Banned
damn GAF effect. I started reading the thread, went out on the internet to find more info on this seemingly new APU, and ended up back here through searches.

960.jpg

Reallink

Possible a minor clock increase in CPU/GPU that will make games with near 30fps be more stable or games with 1080pr runs close to 1080p.

Get your data right...

240GFs to 1.31TFs (+446%)
1.31GFs to 6TFs (+358%)

It is a smaller leap.

Edit - Fixed to not cause confusion.

My mistake, I was operating under the assumption the oft publicized FLOP value was the APU's combined (CPU + GPU) computational power, not just the GPU. I was however intentionally using the launch value of 1.2XTF, not the OC that came in an update after the fact (when they killed Kinect). Think your math is wrong as well, 1310 to 6000 is not 358%. They are in fact both approximately 5x increases if you use the Xbone's launch TF's, if I'm not mistaken.

Tablo

Even if they say there's no difference at all, I doubt it, there's gonna be a marginal boost by shrinking the chips. Their motive is to make people believe there's no difference to not piss off current XB1 OG owners.
It's inevitable, tech gets better lol, now I do believe the perf difference is probably very marginal, and they might even be throttling back potential perf too.

damn GAF effect. I started reading the thread, went out on the internet to find more info on this seemingly new APU, and ended up back here through searches.

960.jpg

Man, I hate when that happens. It's like the thread you were just on is basically ground zero for information to spur out so, you have to wait and follow the thread as new developments occur.

GAF users are just too good and accumulating info sometimes.

Have we confirmed a die shrink or what size the die shrink is? Don't MS go through TSMC? Aren't they only at 20nm? 20nm could explain a small bump on the same architecture.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Hmm, they could make a change that would significantly change performance to almost, or even match the PS4 simply by changing the memory configuration, I mean if they decided to do away with the expensive ESRAM, which costs more to manufacture than the extra CU in the PS4, then they could pretty much match the PS4 while even saving money. Xbox S would be a pre-cursor to Scorpio which will have a modern memory architecture and development will function the same way where devs would still have to focus on ESRAM for X1 while still working for Scorpio, or in this case, Xbox S.

Is this your pipe dream? It's nonsense, that's a complete architecture change. It would not be compatible and would require new dev kits and software. It will never happen. Besides it would have leaked months ago. The S is just a revision.

Devildoll

It is not.

6TFs is what RX 480 will have (maybe a little less)... that is a $199 mid-range GPU today.. now imagine for 2017... Scorpio will continue to have a mid-tier GPU like XB1 did.

2017 will have the high-tier GPU over 12TFs... that is what 1080ti is suppose to have.

Back in 2013, i think we had 5 TFLOP graphics cards. so in comparison, the consoles were like 1/4 as powerful as pc hardware, if the 1080ti will have 12 TFLOPs the scorpio will be 1/2.

Sure it's going to be mid-tier, but what I'm saying is that mid-tier was stagnant back in 2013, compared what the graphics card landscape will be like after these new architectures have been released. ( pascal, polaris, vega )
You could argue that it won't be any more impressive than last go around since the performance is in the same category as last time, mid-tier.
But the rx480 feels like a whole lot better deal than the 7770 was back in the day, it's more relative bang for your buck i feel.

The jump is still almost as big as 360 to One, whilst we've only waited half the time.
We have this 14 nm shrink and new architectures served up so that the Scorpio will be able to deliver a real kick in comparison to what was possible before, both in terms of price and performance.

That means PC graphics cards will be able to reap those rewards at the same time,
But when the PS4 and XBOne launched, they didn't have the same new tech to take advantage of, which is why the bump over their predecessors was just as big as this one, although it took 8 years instead of 4.

I guess what I'm saying is that even if 6 TFLOPs as a number might not be more be more impressive if you look at what PC graphics cards will have at that point.
The leap in console performance will be more impressive this time around.

Proelite

Missed opportunity IMO if specs upgrade is negligible.

Simple 30-50% overclock would have solved a lot of the parity problems. I would have traded in my OG Xbox.

dr_rus

Back in 2013, i think we had 5 TFLOP graphics cards. so in comparison, the consoles were like 1/4 as powerful as pc hardware, if the 1080ti will have 12 TFLOPs the scorpio will be 1/2.

1080Ti should come this year. Scorpio will compete with the next update of PC videocards which may easily be as high as 24TFlops for the top end.
You should also consider that Scorio is GCN based and as such should be compared to what AMD offers as NV cards are generally faster on the same flops.

Sydle

Missed opportunity IMO if specs upgrade is negligible.

Simple 30-50% overclock would have solved a lot of the parity problems. I would have traded in my OG Xbox.

Would have added yet another design point for devs though and there would probably be far fewer of them than original Xbones and Scorpio.

I made an update to the OP based on new information from Phil Spencer that the Xbox One S is not designed to play games better than the Xbox One. A mod should probably close this so further misinformation doesn't spread.

Proelite

Over the few weeks the sentiment by techies is that the S does not have a node shrink. Porting to 14nm (20nm is a dead node), would incur too much cost.

I am suspecting that the mobo space savings are merely tighter mobo arrangements. There is also the case of the increased power needed to support 10bit rendering. Hard to imagine they can have that on the same GCN 2.0 architecture and have a smaller power footprint.

Can possibly be a new SOC featuring Puma and GCN 3rd gen at 28nm.

I don't have numbers for the GPU (there at least some efficiency gains in heat / tdp), but Puma is supposed to offer massive TDP savings while offering higher clocks.

If the Xbox One S SOC has GCN 3rd gen then there is bandwidth efficiencies at the same clocks. Might be used to help render those extra 2 bits of colors
I don't know what I am talking about

gohepcat

Banned
Even if they say there's no difference at all, I doubt it, there's gonna be a marginal boost by shrinking the chips. Their motive is to make people believe there's no difference to not piss off current XB1 OG owners.
It's inevitable, tech gets better lol, now I do believe the perf difference is probably very marginal, and they might even be throttling back potential perf too.

So just to be clear....shrinking the chips does absolutly nothing to performance. Xbox 360 and PS3 had multiple die shrinks.

Yeah I already have an Xbox One, but I have this preordered on Amazon for some reason. Guess I'll cancel if there's no real benefit (no HDR TV in this house).

Reallink

1080Ti should come this year. Scorpio will compete with the next update of PC videocards which may easily be as high as 24TFlops for the top end.
You should also consider that Scorio is GCN based and as such should be compared to what AMD offers as NV cards are generally faster on the same flops.

Volta is 2018 last I saw. I can't imagine how they could take a 13-14TF 1080Ti/Titan Y to 24TF in a year on the same node and architecture.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Yeah I already have an Xbox One, but I have this preordered on Amazon for some reason. Guess I'll cancel if there's no real benefit (no HDR TV in this house).

I'll buy it for the form factor alone and the lack of external power supply as a bonus.

Yeah, they'll just pull that out of their magic teraflop ass.

Tablo

So just to be clear....shrinking the chips does absolutly nothing to performance. Xbox 360 and PS3 had multiple die shrinks.
Wrong they had to throttle them down to keep perf in line.
smaller transistors switch faster bruh.
its a small difference sometimes but its there. but they will prioritize efficiency over potential perf gains.

Proelite

Wrong they had to throttle them down to keep perf in line.
smaller transistors switch faster bruh.
its a small difference sometimes but its there. but they will prioritize efficiency over potential perf gains.

Wut.

The 360 slim had an artificial bandwidth bottleneck for the increased bandwidth between CPU and GPU when they ended up on one chip.

anothertech

Dam MS, could you fck up your messaging to consumers any worse? Seriously?

My cousin and brother tried to convince me the XboneS was the same as Scorpio today. I tried to explain the differences, but then my brother pulls this article and says the S has better specs.. I was like wtf.

It's clear as day to me and I know Phil confirmed it wasn't true, but seriously anyone that isn't reading every single update of every article is just in a clusterfck of conflicting information.

My cousin and brother tried to convince me the XboneS was the same as Scorpio today. I tried to explain the differences, but then my brother pulls this article and says the S has better specs.. I was like wtf.

It's clear as day to me and I know Phil confirmed it wasn't true, but seriously anyone that isn't reading every single update of every article is just in a clusterfck of conflicting information.

Yeah, I was defending MS right after E3 because it seemed pretty clear to me. But we GAF geeks do not represent average consumers. Viewed through the lens of Joe and Jane Six-Pack (or DudeBros, if u prefer)...who may not know their bungholes from their elbows when it comes to tech...(because they understandably don't have time to really follow this stuff every day)...it's pretty damn obvious MS created a cluster-F of confusion.

TheYanger

That's not MS messaging, that's other fuckheads messaging though. As you're noting, it's actually super obvious to anyone that is remotely listening to what Phil has said. Like, if someone writes an article about a sony console and gets a bunch of shit wrong, that's not Sony's messaging being off.

anothertech

That's not MS messaging, that's other fuckheads messaging though. As you're noting, it's actually super obvious to anyone that is remotely listening to what Phil has said. Like, if someone writes an article about a sony console and gets a bunch of shit wrong, that's not Sony's messaging being off.
The messaging has been a clusterfck since E3 reveal.

Yeah, I was defending MS right after E3 because it seemed pretty clear to me. But we GAF geeks do not represent average consumers. Viewed through the lens of Joe and Jane Six-Pack (or DudeBros, if u prefer)...who may not know their bungholes from their elbows when it comes to tech...(because they understandably don't have time to really follow this stuff every day)...it's pretty damn obvious MS created a cluster-F of confusion.

Your average Joe also isn't going to hear the messages they sent out after the reveal. Those who who use the channels that the later messages were relayed on (NeoGAF, Reddit, GameFAQs, etc.) are going to know enough to know exactly what the One S is. The more casual gamers will watch IGN's unboxing and review and will know everything they need to know.

I think the messaging will not be difficult at all to understand. We get console revisions all the time. This is hardly out of the ordinary.

Top Bottom