• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S has additional CPU/GPU power, games can look and run better

Fireball

Neo Member
Yep. A Slim in August/September for UHD Blu-ray support and the Scorpio next year to move the Slim to my bedroom and become the main entertainment center piece.

Same for me. My XB1 went from the living room to my "hive" two months ago because i started streaming and lets plays and needed it right at my PC.

I miss it so bad in the living room, the S will make the big "VCR" return to its habitat. :p at the moment a Samsung Smart TV is filling this gap, but its not even close.

Scorpio day 1 for me as well.

martino

I would be extremely surprised if they took the Jaguar CPU and the existing GPU and ESRAM and paid for them all to be shrunk down to 14nm - remember teh 14 nm is a different process altogether, so each CPU and GPU would be new anyway, and ESRAM I read is not available in 14 nm.

That would be insane, its basically a full redesign of the console silicon with a new CPU, new GPU and Gddr5....basically just make a Neo design that was leaked instead it would cost the same.

If you shrink to 14 nm and redesign for FINFET process, may as well make a 4 TF GPU, it comes for free ! So if it was 14 nm, they would of easily doubled the GPU to > 3 TF and be sure MS would of said something as a 14 nm console would be at least 2 x Ps4 power.

I can only think of 2 things :

1. Maybe it is resources freed from no kinect
2. They have used a fancy new cooler and clocked a little bit higher.

Someone posted a link a few days ago of a new metallic fan which keeps GPU's much cooler - could MS be using it. Edit found it, new super cooler for Xb1 S was mentioned with coolermaster...so MS probably bumped the clock by a percent or 2.

http://techtheday.com/keeping-it-cool-coolchip-technologies-has-a-redesigned-computer-fan/

can it stand when we now you can connect a kinect with a separate adaptor ?

TrackZ

Are there any XB1 owners considering getting an S and a Scorpio? 0_o

If I decide to nix a PC gaming migration, absolutely yes. I will by the S day one and happily upgrade to Scorpio next year.

Sell Xbox One to buffer cost and buy Xbox One S. Sell the S towards the Scorpio.

The delta cost is marginal to me for the benefit. I'd happily do it every year or two if powerful, progressive hardware becomes the norm.

TrackZ

Me. The S will be mainly to get a cheap 4k blu ray player, but the increased controller range is appealing too for my home theatre room.

Yes, OMG yes, seeing the controller range bump was excellent. Plus the dual Bluetooth radio.

I game in my living room and my equipment is downstairs in a rack. The PS4 controller works wirelessly. The Xbox One controller never has. It just disconnects time and again. With better range, I might finally be able to use an Xbox controller wirelessly in my living room with reliability.

That new controller and the range benefits might be enough that I actually no longer game with the Elite controller and switch over to the new models entirely.

enemy2k

I don't really get what MS is doing anymore. Why are they making devs have to optimize a console game 3 times for 3 revisions of 1 console in a 2 year span?

They aren't "making" devs optimize a console game 3 times for 3 revisions of 1 console. This is just ridiculous.

Yes, OMG yes, seeing the controller range bump was excellent. Plus the dual Bluetooth radio.

I game in my living room and my equipment is downstairs in a rack.

Oh shit...

My HT room is directly below my ensuite bathroom. Which has a TV in it, attached to the HT room below.

This means... XBox in the bath. WOOHOO.

So, they're releasing an upgraded console every year at this point?

I never thought I would be saying this, but yes I think MS will have new hardware every year now. I could actually see MS releasing Scorpio next year and still release weaker hardware the year after, for example Scorpio releasing at $500 and then releasing a lower spec Scorpio for $300. I think MS are aiming to have a range of power (budget) Xbox's on the market at the same time.

ekim

http://www.wired.com/2016/06/xbox-vr-scorpio-phil-spencer/?mbid=social_twitter

“Consumer expectation is that, if you wanted to, you could go buy a new cell phone every year. I don’t want to get into that mode with a console,” Spencer says. “I see the next inflection point as 4K, and I want to make sure we have a console there to support that, and Scorpio will do that. We’re not on a hardware tick-tock that says I need to put out a console every two years or every one year to get people to upgrade. That’s not the console model.”

This could be a nice living room box to complement a higher end pc. But so would a ps4 because it has more different software.

I'm excited to buy one in August.gonna start setting some cash aside weekly now.

jelly

Because that's essentially what they're doing between this year and next.

Not really, S is just a slim which is mostly the norm in recent consoles. Scorpio/Neo are the start of iterative consoles and as Phil says they aren't interested in the mobile strategy which is yearly and usually 24 months for consumers if you're being kind so I take it as when technology bumps are substantial and offer improvement at a normal price which is $400. 3-4 years is what I imagine between iterations but if no technology benefit is there, they won't bother.

I would be extremely surprised if they took the Jaguar CPU and the existing GPU and ESRAM and paid for them all to be shrunk down to 14nm - remember teh 14 nm is a different process altogether, so each CPU and GPU would be new anyway, and ESRAM I read is not available in 14 nm.

That would be insane, its basically a full redesign of the console silicon with a new CPU, new GPU and Gddr5....basically just make a Neo design that was leaked instead it would cost the same.

If you shrink to 14 nm and redesign for FINFET process, may as well make a 4 TF GPU, it comes for free ! So if it was 14 nm, they would of easily doubled the GPU to > 3 TF and be sure MS would of said something as a 14 nm console would be at least 2 x Ps4 power.

I can only think of 2 things :

1. Maybe it is resources freed from no kinect
2. They have used a fancy new cooler and clocked a little bit higher.

Someone posted a link a few days ago of a new metallic fan which keeps GPU's much cooler - could MS be using it. Edit found it, new super cooler for Xb1 S was mentioned with coolermaster...so MS probably bumped the clock by a percent or 2.

http://techtheday.com/keeping-it-cool-coolchip-technologies-has-a-redesigned-computer-fan/

I still think it's just a die shrink to 14nm, perhaps w/ that new fan as well. ESRAM (or just SRAM, if we take away the marketing) would be one of the first things AMD got down to 14nm. It is utterly essential for every processor they make.

The slim is faster because they clocked it a bit higher probably. That's the only way they can maintain performance 100% in line with OG Xbone. Scorpio will be BC, yes, but there will be more kinks to iron out w/ a new CPU/GPU architecture and memory subsystem.

As to why they didn't just make the Slim a 4 TF part? That would mean a larger chip, which at this point in FinFET manufacturing, is still pretty risky when taking yields into account.

ethomaz

Banned
I find it difficult to find the actual FLOPs number for these consoles, so may different numbers out there on google, some for the gpu, some for the whole box combined, etc etc.
Anyway, what you have to remember is that although the 360 to XBOne performance jump was larger in %, the wait between 2005 and 2013 was twice as long as the wait for scorpio will be.
360's GPU is an AMD GPU with 48SPs that execute 10 operations per cycle @ 500Mhz.

48 x 10 x 500 = 240 GFLOPs

* Actual AMD GPUs execute 2 operation per cycle and the calc is 768SPs x 2 x 853Mhz = 1.31TFs.

PS. I was using 1.34TFs for Xbone but in fact it is 1.31TFs.

Edit - Xbox 360's CPU has 110 GFLOPs and that bring the overall raw power to 350 GFLOPs but if you will count CPU then you need to add CPU to XB1 and Scorpio too that I don't have info but I guess XB1's CPU is over 60 GFLOPs (8 GFLOPs per core?).

6 TFLOPs is probably a bigger deal in 2017 than ~1.3 TFLOPs were in 2013.
It is not.

6TFs is what RX 480 will have (maybe a little less)... that is a $199 mid-range GPU today.. now imagine for 2017... Scorpio will continue to have a mid-tier GPU like XB1 did.

2017 will have the high-tier GPU over 12TFs... that is what 1080ti is suppose to have.

TrackZ

If Scorpio is as fast as promised it won't need an update for the next five to eight years.

No, no, no. The pace of technology is moving too fast and will continue ramping up. As amazing as Scorpio is, the follow-up model should launch within 2 years, maybe 3 years tops.

watership

Like a Apple S or other Smartphone.

This gen never fails to disappoint me.

Apple has ruined you. All of you. Seriously. Xbox has used the S identifier for 15 years.

Meanwhile, Apple was releasing this:

114px-IMac_G4_sunflower7.png

Oh great, so my current XBox One will be rendered obselete twice in the next year! Fantastic.

Ugh.

Isn't that a bit exeggerated? I think we'll be fine with our current Xbox One until Scorpio. I for one don't care about 4K movies since my oled doesnt have 4K. Slightly better framerate and HDR? Ok...but my tv doesn't have HDR.

We'll be ok man.

This. Stop acting like they released a completely new console between X1 and Scorpio.

Conduit

Banned
Isn't that a bit exeggerated? I think we'll be fine with our current Xbox One until Scorpio. I for one don't care about 4K movies since my oled doesnt have 4K. Slightly better framerate and HDR? Ok...but my tv doesn't have HDR.

How? Well, you indirectly said that Xbone S is upgraded.

cyber_ninja

Does it mean that Slim will have better performance? I was thinking about picking up an old model on the cheap to play Horizon 3, but I'm not sure now since there might be performance boost in S model?
What do you guys think? Get old model on the cheap or wait for S?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Does it mean that Slim will have better performance? I was thinking about picking up an old model on the cheap to play Horizon 3, but I'm not sure now since there might be performance boost in S model?
What do you guys think? Get old model on the cheap or wait for S?
Get S cos it's sexy af.

Wait. What?

So we should expect framerate issues with Gears on the vanilla Xbox? Rather than smooth those out (optimize, reduce effects, assorted trickery) they're just relying upon better hardware to take care of it?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Wait. What?

So we should expect framerate issues with Gears on the vanilla Xbox? Rather than smooth those out (optimize, reduce effects, assorted trickery) they're just relying upon better hardware to take care of it?
No, framerate will stay locked, resolution might drop more. That's what dynamic resolution is.

BFIB

Wait. What?

I think what we'll see is Gears 4 on the original Xbox One model will likely never run at 1080P, it'll be a resolution scale that we're currently seeing in some titles. The newer model S may keep a steadier resolution lock, but will likely see resolution scale as well, just not as frequent as the original model.

c0de

Wait. What?

Wait, what? How did you get that?

clav

I thought they removed the Kinect port? Wait, is that just a USB port? Can you connect the Kinect (heh) via USB?
USB 3.0.

There's an adapter included in the box to connect it via USB. You will need to request one from MS according to some people.

I think what we'll see is Gears 4 on the original Xbox One model will likely never run at 1080P, it'll be a resolution scale that we're currently seeing in some titles. The newer model S may keep a steadier resolution lock, but will likely see resolution scale as well, just not as frequent as the original model.

This. I really don't think this is as big of a performance bump as people think, just most consistency in terms of frames, res scaling, etc. It clearly wasn't enough of a bump for MS to mention it.

If this goes for $250 or less, I'm in. I want the UHD Blu-Ray, and the ability to use a IR remote. Oh and the quiet operation. My PS4 sounds like a jet engine.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Wait. What?

Its probably in the intense situations where dynamic resolution comes into effect. The XB1 S may not need to drop as much and could maintain the 1080p where the XB1 would have to drop to keep performance steady. I suppose we'll have to wait and see though.

No, framerate will stay locked, resolution might drop more. That's what dynamic resolution is.
The quote in the OP refers to framerate penalties in addition to resolution, which is why I asked.

So the S represents an enhancement over the vanilla Xbox, and in the case of Gears it means less resolution drops but a still consistent framerate?

clav

If this goes for $250 or less, I'm in. I want the UHD Blu-Ray, and the ability to use a IR remote. Oh and the quiet operation. My PS4 sounds like a jet engine.

Will hit that price point once Scorpio releases.

What's disconcerting is if MS decides to use a blower fan in Scorpio shown in the sneak peek promo video, then it will be as noisy as the current PS4's cooling design.

Oersted

Not really, S is just a slim which is mostly the norm in recent consoles. Scorpio/Neo are the start of iterative consoles and as Phil says they aren't interested in the mobile strategy which is yearly and usually 24 months for consumers if you're being kind so I take it as when technology bumps are substantial and offer improvement at a normal price which is $400. 3-4 years is what I imagine between iterations but if no technology benefit is there, they won't bother.

The every year a new smartphone is mostly abandoned for the flagships.

Wait, Xbox One S isn't the same as Project Scorpio?

I watched the entire MS Conference, and I am afuwly confused.

Xbox One S is Xbox One Slim. Scorpio comes after. So yes, two different things. We don't even know how Scorpio looks.)

clav

To be clear, it is not included in the box.

You have to provide Microsoft with all three serial numbers (Xbox One, Kinect, and Xbox One S) and they will send you the adapter. I don't know if it will also be on sale.

Oh really. Thanks for the clarification.

I guess Larry didn't make that clear at the YouTube E3 show with Geoff.

I'll edit my post. Thanks.

Top Bottom