• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S has additional CPU/GPU power, games can look and run better

-hadouken

Yh true but it's still extra power PR could use as an extra selling point. Still am curious why nothing concrete has been revealed so far.

Clearly they don't feel that the Slim is enough of a step up to brag about it (it's still sub PS4). This avoids angering less engaged owners of the current box (they'll probably never know), whilst incorporating a little more juice for later down the line. It makes sense.

Roitorb

I have a feeling this is xbox's answer to the neo but they are waiting for the neo to officially announce it.

mcrommert

Banned
As others have already said in here (but people seem to be expecting something more) - this sounds exactly like the slight performance gains you get from cpu die shrinking.

Yep...360 revs had them...they just didn't let devs use them for the most part.

I wonder if all devs will get access to this

ethomaz

Banned
Possible a minor clock increase in CPU/GPU that will make games with near 30fps be more stable or games with 1080pr runs close to 1080p.

Xbone to Scorpio is a larger leap than 360 to Xbone. 1.2TF to 6TF (5X) Vs. ~350GF to 1.2TF (~3.4x)
Get your data right...

240GFs to 1.31TFs (+446%)
1.31GFs to 6TFs (+358%)

It is a smaller leap.

Edit - Fixed to not cause confusion.

FDC1

Possible a minor clock increase in CPU/GPU that will make games with near 30fps be more stable or games with 1080pr runs close to 1080p.

Get your data right...

240GFs to 1.34TFs (4.58x)
1.34GFs to 6TFs (3.48x)

It is a smaller leap.

Hum, you maths are wrong I think. 1.34 to 6 is necessarily over 4x

Edit: it's 5.58x and 4.48x so the point stands but not sure why you deduced 1 lol

ethomaz

Banned
So evidently not a new generation, only an upgrade.
What defines a new generation is the existence of games that only run on the new hardware and not the horse power increase.

Wii U is a new generation for example even with small increase in raw power.

Will Scorpio have exclusives games that doesn't run on XB1/XB1S???

Asmodai48

Get your data right...

1.34GFs to 6TFs (3.48x)

It is a smaller leap.

What O_O... its 4.47x.

Bessy67

Hmm, I wonder how much better things will actually look on the console. I have a decent 4K TV with HDR and can get the S for ~$100 out of pocket because of reward certificates and gift cards...

d9b

Banned
What defines a new generation is the existence of games that only run on the new hardware and not the horse power increase.

Wii U is a new generation for example even with small increase in raw power.

Will Scorpio have exclusives games that doesn't run on XB1/XB1S???

It's up to developers to decide, so potentially the answer is yes.

ethomaz

Banned
Just to make clear...

- XB1 has a 4.48x increase in raw power conpared 360
- Scorpio has a 3.48x increase in raw power compared with XB1

That means.,,

- XB1 = 5.48x 360
- Scorpio = 4.48x XB1

Yes but it's 4.47x1.34. You don't use the term 1x for a 100% increase, you say 2x, it's twice the number of teraflops
For increase you use 1x or in better wording "this device had 100% increase over the previous device" (it essentially changed from 5 to 10).

If you use the word increase it is how it works... that is how benchmarks compare power too.

wachie

Get your data right...

1.34GFs to 6TFs (3.48x)

It is a smaller leap.
It is indeed.

360 to Xbox One
System RAM: 16x

Xbox One to Scorpio
System RAM: 1-2x

dr_rus

Because that is the increase...

Just how you show your data...

It is a 3.48x increase in raw power or 4.48x the power of the old hardware.

But hey 360 to Xbone is a 4.48x increase or 5.48x the raw power.

You can't count the increase in "x". The multiplication imply the usage of the base number in it (3.47x1.34=4.65, not 6). Thus the increase is +347%, not 3.47x. The comparative power is 6/1.3=4,47x or 447% of XBO.

So so far it seems FH3 and Gears 4 have HDR. So what will this mean for when we play them on our current Xbox One? Less colour compared to the videos we've seen of the games?

Also what a shame the bluetooth is only in that controller. I need my earpiece MS!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
If we're moving into a generation-less era MS have have essentially made the baseline entry point onto their platform a lot more incising and tbh it would've of been nice for Sony to of announced a UHD capable PS4, as it stands right now the current PS4 can't even stream netflix in 4K.

In a generation-less business model we're not just competing at the top anymore so it will be very interesting to so if Sony do update their entry model.

ethomaz

Banned
You can't count the increase in "x". The multiplication imply the usage of the base number in it (3.47x1.34=4.65, not 6). Thus the increase is +347%, not 3.47x. The comparative power is 6/1.3=4,47x or 447% of XBO.
3.47 = 347%

You are saying the same thing.

Top Bottom